Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would really like to be able to play Portal 2 on my PS4, so if it somehow has an ability to do that I will get it. However, I am not sure a bridge constructor game is really my sort of thing.

(Times in the past when I have been very skeptical of games and movies have turned out to make me exceptionally wrong, so in a small way I am very happy to be feeling this feeling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd recommend a replay with Move controllers if you ever get the chance (on PS3)

It felt like a fresh experience, despite the puzzles remaining the same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Half life 2 is my favourite game ever so it gives me no pleasure to say gently caress Valve

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

shouldnt half life 2 have been full life. folks,

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The expanded description of the video says it's a new entry in the Bridge Constructor series with Portal mechanics thrown in so nothing too crazy.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is that American Time? Dang, that'll be like 1am in Ireland.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

rabidsquid posted:

No because it was the second half.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lobok posted:

No because it was the second half.

and you can't have 3 halves

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Don't miss the Half-Life series bundle, Half-and-Half

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Portal 2 is good.

Valve is bad.

Bridge is a game for old people.

GLaDOS.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

Leaked: New Portal game coming to PS4

https://youtu.be/5O-hLjRiBoY

gently caress valve

This is a triumph.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

Everyone always says that at Valve there are no managers and everyone's free to work on whatever they want, an announcement like this should not be a surprise.

you'd think some of them would want to work on something more substantial than a vr proof of concept game that comes free with their headset or this portal minigame

seriously dota 2 is from 2013 and csgo is from 2012. portal 2 was the last full retail game they released and it was in 2011! what are they doing over there?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Manatee Cannon posted:

you'd think some of them would want to work on something more substantial than a vr proof of concept game that comes free with their headset or this portal minigame

seriously dota 2 is from 2013 and csgo is from 2012. portal 2 was the last full retail game they released and it was in 2011! what are they doing over there?

Making money

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

Some of them almost certainly do, but with no ability to structure a team and force it to stay together for a long time and through the boring parts the work just doesn't get done. You can't make Portal 2 by convincing your five friendliest coworkers that it's a good idea.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 6, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Manatee Cannon posted:

Uhh making money hand over fist instead of wasting time making a game everyone would likely be let down by

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Pro dropping to $350 for next week at least, more VR price drops:
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/938438589934915585

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Norns posted:

Uhh making money hand over fist instead of wasting time making a game everyone would likely be let down by

the devs they have employed at valve aren't gonna be working on the storefront so what do they do all day

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the devs they have employed at valve aren't gonna be working on the storefront so what do they do all day

Sit back, relax, and take it easy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Add a few models to DOTA 2
from time to time, get community artists to do your job for you for a tiny fraction of the profits, and roll around in piles of money

Allegedly bonuses at valve are dependent on how profitable your project is which means it has developed a risk-averse clique-ridden culture where getting people to cooperate to make something new is an uphill battle and paints you as an adversary when it's a lot easier and safer to just stick to what keeps the money rolling in. This is why they haven't made any truly new games in ages.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Finished HZD.

gently caress. Me. What an incredible, incredible game.

I love how seemingly innocuous design and story elements start to come together as you gather more and more information, like the reason behind the animal designs for the machines, or where the word "Brave" came from for the Nora.
The game is outright beautiful, but I'll never forget the first time I walked up to the Grave Hoard, it was night and the moon was just behind the downed Horus, so the light shafts were coming from behind/between the legs. Just... breathtaking.

I kinda saw coming what Zero Dawn really was a good long while before they outright say it, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be a twist per se but rather Aloy convincing herself there had to be a superweapon that had saved the Ancients. Found it weird that there was no scene showing them booting up GAIA back up after 'defeating' Hades, even if it had been a short 'system restore initiated' deal and not an outright happy ending with her mending everything. Also gently caress Ted Faro, man. I almost screamed at my tv when he showed up at the Gaia Prime room and explained what happened to Apollo.

I still think some of the cauldron fights are bullshit, but other than that I had a loving blast and I'll come back to trophy whore the hell out of it in some time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edmond Dantes posted:

The game is outright beautiful, but I'll never forget the first time I walked up to the Grave Hoard, it was night and the moon was just behind the downed Horus, so the light shafts were coming from behind/between the legs. Just... breathtaking.

They cheat with the day/night cycle to make views like that happen, but that doesn't take away from how amazing it looks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Okay but whoever steps up and says "Hey, here is my proposal for Half Life 3" is basically on the hook for it then. That's a pretty strong disincentive to take on anything ambitious.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they don't have to make half-life 3 to make a game

it doesn't even have to be a sequel at all

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Manatee Cannon posted:

they don't have to make half-life 3 to make a game

it doesn't even have to be a sequel at all

Aw poo poo yeah. A Half-Life prequel!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Edmond Dantes posted:

Also gently caress Ted Faro, man

I love how everybody who finishes the game independently arrives at this same exact statement.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Red Warrior posted:

Pro dropping to $350 for next week at least, more VR price drops:
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/938438589934915585

Where is the guy who wanted a Pro deal

we should tell him about this Pro deal.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Hey, guy, check the deal on the Pro.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

haveblue posted:

They cheat with the day/night cycle to make views like that happen, but that doesn't take away from how amazing it looks.

Yeah, I'm not complaining, it was amazing.

exquisite tea posted:

I love how everybody who finishes the game independently arrives at this same exact statement.

I'm not even mad at him for the plague. It's like yeah, he screwed up but it was more of an inevitable conclusion for mankind. It's even presented as such throughout the game; Herres mentions it when talking to Sobeck and then again in his 'confession'; Faro hosed up with the 'no backdoor' policy (and I still think something external caused the glitch, which may be the same thing that triggered Hades to wake up), but nobody opposed automation of warfare and increased dependency on machines. But... destroying Apollo? You could at least have left the art archives intact, you arse! :argh:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

I love how seemingly innocuous design and story elements start to come together as you gather more and more information, like the reason behind the animal designs for the machines, or where the word "Brave" came from for the Nora.

Wait what, I missed this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Manatee Cannon posted:

Sharpen Gabe's massive knife collection

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Seedge posted:

Where is the guy who wanted a Pro deal

we should tell him about this Pro deal.

I was one of them. I also live in europe and these deals don't show up so :colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Montalvo posted:

Wait what, I missed this.

Which part?

There's an audio log of one of the Alphas commenting on how Gaia is starting to put animal designs in her robots (while still in the simulaton phase) and how it makes sense considering the type of terrain they'll have to go through, but also says that she thinks Gaia is doing it on purpose as an homage of sorts; you also get a conversation between Gaia and Sobeck where Gaia outright says that she's sad about the "mega-animals" becoming extinct.

An hologram inside All Mother has one of the nanny robots talking to the (now grown) kids they're looking after and telling them they need to leave the facility because there's no more food in there, and when one of the kids asks "what should we do?", the nanny replies "Go out and be brave". This could be me reading too much into it, but it fits too much not to be on purpose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was really impressed with how the HZD story anticipated every possible question the player might have early on and answered them plausibly as it continued to unfold.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

haveblue posted:

I was really impressed with how the HZD story anticipated every possible question the player might have early on and answered them plausibly as it continued to unfold.

The narrative coming together cohesively at all is impressive when you consider Horizon's lead writer was hired halfway through development with the concept of "okay robot dinosaurs, primitive humans" already solidifed and had to back-engineer most of the story beats from there.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

exquisite tea posted:

he is a massive toolbox, no doubt. however, the fact that one person was able to do what he did, without authorization and without simultaneous approval from at least 5-10 other people, is a catastrophic flaw in the design of the system itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

jeffLebowski posted:

he is a massive toolbox, no doubt. however, the fact that one person was able to do what he did, without authorization and without simultaneous approval from 5-10+ people, is a catastrophic flaw in the design of the system itself.

He is able to do that because during the development of Zero Dawn Faro was secretly working on a backdoor to GAIA that would let him override the Alphas. That's the meaning of "omega clearance" at the beginning of his transmission and why the Alphas couldn't block him out of the system when he deletes Apollo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Mostly updating stuff they've already putting out, and finding ways to make Steam worse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

Jak II is better than GTA III probably at least as good as Vice City.

No, Jak II is bad my dude, and I'm even a fan of 1 and 3. It's a game that feels like staff at Naughty Dog were going in and out the door in perpetual transition (which is basically what was happening at the time), and therefore has almost no concrete identity. It's ambitious, sure, but at this point only serves as a set-up for Jak3: Fury Road

GTA3 might be the single defining game of the PS2 gen, and Vice City was such a perfect refinement of its design that even San Andreas felt like old hat by the time it came out.

Akuma posted:

3 of the 5 Soulsborne games are on the PS4, though, including the best ones (2 and Bloodborne, obviously.)

Bloodsouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

cubicle gangster posted:

Strong rumors about more death stranding news on friday. norman reedus, kojima, del toro & mads are all presenting awards at the video game awards show.
And it has been announced there is a world premiere of a gameplay trailer which will be 'the longest in the history of the show'.

I anticipate they will show 15 minutes of an uncontrolled dream sequence ala the last 20 minutes of 2001.