Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Orville started out as a loving spoof of Trek, but now it's pretty much just Trek with a bit more of a sense of humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
He gone
https://twitter.com/achorowitz/status/938039682134429696

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

HorseRenoir posted:

hey does anyone watching The Orville know if it's worth watching if you're not a Trek superfan? I've heard that it's way more earnest and less cynical than "Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody" would imply

You don't have to be a superfan, but the show is 100% through and through a completely genuine love letter to TNG without, thus far, even a hint of sarcasm about it. So if you hate the trappings of that, the tone, the way it's shot, the music, the plots, the weird utopian post-scarcity society, then you will not like The Orville, because it does all of that completely straight, just without being as self-serious as Trek and with Seth Macfarlane's brand of snarky humor.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not far enough. Where's the head of that exec who was shooting his mouth off at a children's soccer game with one of his victims present?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Everybody should give The Orville a shot, just because someone had the balls to make an optimistic, bright, non dystopian sci fi show in 2017. It goes against the grain of every other space show on TV right now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bring back old gbs posted:

Everybody should give The Orville a shot, just because someone had the balls to make an optimistic, bright, non dystopian sci fi show in 2017. It goes against the grain of every other space show on TV right now.

FTFY

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tell me more about how a rich white guy feels optimistic. :allears:

Do not respond to this post it is clearly trolling.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not far enough. Where's the head of that exec who was shooting his mouth off at a children's soccer game with one of his victims present?

Probably on his neck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Today in "Extremely My poo poo"
https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/938053682712727552

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:stare: Plemons......Holy gently caress Plemons has an AMAZING old school Kirk vibe

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

One of my friends who's really not into sci-fi, let alone Trek keeps telling me to watch it, so I'll give it a shot.

And as far as Scientology goes, I feel bad for Beck. He's the rare second-generation scientologist, I really can't blame him for being wrapped up in some of that poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And as far as Scientology goes, I feel bad for Beck. He's the rare second-generation scientologist, I really can't blame him for being wrapped up in some of that poo poo.

Beck doesn't really rep scientology or anything though, does he? I thought he was only a scientologist so far as he was born into it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:stare: Plemons......Holy gently caress Plemons has an AMAZING old school Kirk vibe

Well, he's certainly bloating up like Shatner did.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just can't lose that Fargo weight.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

Well, he's certainly bloating up like Shatner did.

Yeah the sweaty face is what's doing it for me.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

raditts posted:

Beck doesn't really rep scientology or anything though, does he? I thought he was only a scientologist so far as he was born into it.

He is definitely complicit in, if not directly involved, in the suicide of one of his former collaborators and girlfriend after Scientologists harassed them to madness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

I don't know where he stands today but yeah for a while people wouldn't stop asking him and he always said he doesn't really believe in it or do anything in the Church.

zoux posted:

Today in "Extremely My poo poo"

oh my god this season is gonna rule so hard

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I sincerely hope he wins his suit
https://twitter.com/THR/status/938200316566167553

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It'll probably be settled for a crazy amount of money and Venit is given the Spacey treatment and shunned forever. The incident as described probably has no less then a dozen witnesses including Adam Sandler and I really doubt they would all suddenly pull a "I didn't see anything" if asked to testify, especially in the current climate.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

... I can imagine what type if dysfunction you have to have to think it is a good idea to grab Terry Crews' genitals. That seems equivalent to suicide by cop.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Crew probably wouldn't have brought the suit if WME had actually fired the guy instead of giving him 1 month paid leave. Dem connections tho.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

It'll probably be settled for a crazy amount of money and Venit is given the Spacey treatment and shunned forever. The incident as described probably has no less then a dozen witnesses including Adam Sandler and I really doubt they would all suddenly pull a "I didn't see anything" if asked to testify, especially in the current climate.

Emma Stone is still represented by this guy as her agent.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Emma Stone is still represented by this guy as her agent.
Some sources say otherwise:

http://www.elle.com/culture/a12468947/women-in-hollywood-2017-the-power-list-november-2017/

http://www.justjared.com/2016/12/07/tina-fey-megyn-kelly-honored-at-thrs-women-in-entertainment-breakfast/

Also IMDB Pro has a list of his clients, which does not include Stone but includes the likes of Adam Sandler, Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan, William H. Macy and, of course, Dustin Hoffman.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Vegetable posted:

Some sources say otherwise:

http://www.elle.com/culture/a12468947/women-in-hollywood-2017-the-power-list-november-2017/

http://www.justjared.com/2016/12/07/tina-fey-megyn-kelly-honored-at-thrs-women-in-entertainment-breakfast/

Also IMDB Pro has a list of his clients, which does not include Stone but includes the likes of Adam Sandler, Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan, William H. Macy and, of course, Dustin Hoffman.

Actually the real "of course" is Casey Affleck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw that stuff where John Oliver was taking Dustin Hoffman to task about harassment claims against him. It made for interesting viewing. However, why do I still think John Oliver is an insufferable prat even when he's in the right? :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I saw that stuff where John Oliver was taking Dustin Hoffman to task about harassment claims against him. It made for interesting viewing. However, why do I still think John Oliver is an insufferable prat even when he's in the right? :shrug:
Because he is?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because he turned his show into The Clapter Corner probably

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

... I can imagine what type if dysfunction you have to have to think it is a good idea to grab Terry Crews' genitals. That seems equivalent to suicide by cop.

But that's the worst part of all this, these guys have felt so insulated by their power over people's careers and livelihoods that it isn't even about the fact that Terry Crews could fold that guy in half up his own rear end in a top hat with one arm tied behind his back.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
That Bridget Everett "I Love You More" Amazon pilot....good lord that was unexpect & hilarious.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They changed the Shut Eye opening credits song, what the gently caress.

The new track suuuucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mrs. Maisel is so fuckin great. Lenny Bruce is amazing

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
As for The Orville, even my wife likes it and she mostly dislikes all things Trek. She has said that TNG was the least objectional series she has seen when I throw it on.

Finally we have a date. Black Mirror season 4 drops December 29. At least I can binge it before I go back to work January 2nd.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Entertainment Weekly review says that Black Mirror season 4 has one of the best Star Trek episodes ever. Really excited about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

suddenlyissoon posted:

That Bridget Everett "I Love You More" Amazon pilot....good lord that was unexpect & hilarious.

Worth a shot if I don’t care for her stage act at all? I’ve seen her in scripted things and didn’t dislike her, but not into her segments she did on Amy Schumer’s show at all.

precision posted:

Mrs. Maisel is so fuckin great. Lenny Bruce is amazing

The Lenny Bruce addition to the pilot always makes me wonder if the other acts I saw were real people. It’s interesting they added someone real in a fictitious scenario, rather than just made a character you think ‘oh this is obviously Bruce with a different name’.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Croatoan posted:

As for The Orville, even my wife likes it and she mostly dislikes all things Trek. She has said that TNG was the least objectional series she has seen when I throw it on.

Finally we have a date. Black Mirror season 4 drops December 29. At least I can binge it before I go back to work January 2nd.

Godammit

*tears up Top 10 list*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Another Period, season 3 trailer:

https://www.avclub.com/another-peri...SocialMarketing

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm curious as to what people who post this would like to see different to make them happy.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

IRQ posted:

But that's the worst part of all this, these guys have felt so insulated by their power over people's careers and livelihoods that it isn't even about the fact that Terry Crews could fold that guy in half up his own rear end in a top hat with one arm tied behind his back.

Yep. Like, if Terry had put the dude in the hospital, his life and career would have been done with. If he'd gone public with it immediately, just his career. It's all super hosed up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/938295589221076992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm really surprised this is coming back, it's been a minute since season 2.

• Locked thread