Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It’s funny, too, that you’ve got a boner for something IndyCar and all the teams viewed as a huge problem and reverted to standard aero kits specifically to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

This always happens exclusively because you all are blinded by nostalgia and harken back to bad eras of racing that you mistakenly believe we’re good.

I don't think it's any less valid. Honda near the end of their second stint in F1 started cranking up the power and sacrificing engine reliability to try and close the gap to the FW14B.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 6, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

It’s funny, too, that you’ve got a boner for something IndyCar and all the teams viewed as a huge problem and reverted to standard aero kits specifically to solve.

All the Honda teams viewed the aerokits as a huge problem, yes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

And you are describing a race that would’ve been even better if reliability wasn’t an issue, and Honda was still able to pull even with a Chevy without sacrificing half their cars.

The entire loving point of trading off speed for reliability is so you can still contend for wins with a car that's down on straight speed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

All the Honda teams viewed the aerokits as a huge problem, yes.

Chevy wasn’t opposed to returning to standard aero kits.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The entire loving point of trading off speed for reliability is so you can still contend for wins with a car that's down on straight speed.

And it’s better when they can contend without making that trade off! Jesus gently caress

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The real issue is the enforcement of reliability and severely penalizing mechanical failures eliminates any incentive to take a risk, such as upping power.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

And it’s better when they can contend without making that trade off! Jesus gently caress

Yes, and believe it or not, in a formula that isn't a spec formula, you are not loving guaranteed to have a season where every car is identical on speed, which is why it's good to have the ability to push your car harder!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like mate if you want to make F1 a spec formula just say so

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The 2.4L V8 era produced some amazing seasons but you must admit the engine made less and less of a difference as it wore on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 2.4L V8 era produced some amazing seasons but you must admit the engine made less and less of a difference as it wore on.

By far the worst part of the last decade of F1 has been the inability for teams to make up engine deficits due to the enforcement of reliability and the cutbacks of engine development.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yes, and believe it or not, in a formula that isn't a spec formula, you are not loving guaranteed to have a season where every car is identical on speed, which is why it's good to have the ability to push your car harder!

Believe it or not, F1 has had multiple competitive cars in a season many times without enforcing parity through attrition.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

By far the worst part of the last decade of F1 has been the inability for teams to make up engine deficits due to the enforcement of reliability and the cutbacks of engine development.

Engine development should be an open book in my opinion, it's loving nuts that we're getting to a point where homologation turbos are on the table.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Believe it or not, F1 has had multiple competitive cars in a season many times without enforcing parity through attrition.

Such as the 1980s, when there was massive attrition.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Nobody is talking about "enforcing parity through attrition".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Such as the 1980s, when there was massive attrition.

There would also be far less attrition anyway because the lower half of the grid is no longer made out of teams consisting of four people and some engine made in a shed in Croatia.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nobody is talking about "enforcing parity through attrition".

Lol it’s literally exactly what you are suggesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Lol it’s literally exactly what you are suggesting.

I'm talking about loosening regulations and you're claiming that i'm "enforcing parity".

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There would also be far less attrition anyway because the lower half of the grid is no longer made out of teams consisting of four people and some engine made in a shed in Croatia.

Dog hair head gaskets.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Indycar would be better if all the cars were more spec so they didn't perform differently. By the way you're trying to enforce parity" - Wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm talking about loosening regulations and you're claiming that i'm "enforcing parity".

You are going crazy praising a race where cars were even because one team sacrificed reliability.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

You are going crazy praising a race where cars were even because one team sacrificed reliability.

Everyone liked that race except for insane people who get mad every time a motor blows.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

How is this loving bad?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

How is this loving bad?

It would be better if they were even without cars blowing up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Indeed. The severely underfunded "Italian Tax Dodge" teams are gone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everyone liked that race except for insane people who get mad every time a motor blows.

Try not obviously lying about things I’ve said, lmfao. It’s all written down ffs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Holy lmbo just go watch 4 stroke kart racing Jesus Christ.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Holy lmbo just go watch 4 stroke kart racing Jesus Christ.

No thanks, I will continue watching and enjoying most extant racing series, where cars aren’t constantly blowing up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I believe you are arguing in bad faith now wicka.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I believe you are arguing in bad faith now wicka.

I apologize.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Mansell winning in Brazil that year is still one of the least likely wins I can remember. It's amazing that car finished the race at all.

Yes. The steering wheel detached at some point during the race too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why do we treat Hershey’s Kisses as their own thing when it’s really just like they made too big chocolate chips?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why have I spent my entire adult life on forums?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like mate if you want to make F1 a spec formula just say so

To be fair I can understand someone who has been watching F1 Honda engines the past few years having this viewpoint

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There were so many new post since my last post that I thought somebody died

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

1500quidporsche posted:

Dude, you don't get it. LOL. I actually don't care. Not any more.

I don't care if someone rates Hulk 6th or 12th - or if I rated him 8th or 9th or whatever after 16 meetings a couple of months ago..

These F1 driver ratings are now irrelevant to my life. I'm not their friend or family member or business associate - so I couldn't care less!

If you *must* have an opinion from yours truly, here it is:

Rating driver performance across cars is totally subjective. I - when I actually remotely cared - felt there was a tight group of 5 Aces in 2017...then a gap to the next tier of 7 or 8 or 9 drivers, any one of whom could beat the others (if they were in a rich vein of form with a package to their liking) or beat the Aces on their days (like BOT out-qualifying HAM 7 times out of 20 legitimately - or Kimi taking pole at Monaco - or Stoff beating Fernando here and there after a rough start as a rookie).

This isn't rocket science! [Although there actually are computer models out there rating VET slightly ahead of HAM and RIC slightly ahead of VER with ALO in the mix and BOT in 12th, etcetera, etcetrea.]

Also, having some arbitrary cut off at 10 - as in "Top 10" - is plain silly. It's a conceit and an artifice which would pervertedly imply that someone rated 11th or 12th or 13th or 14th couldn't possibly beat the guy in 10th or 7th on any number of occasions. And all this petty niggling and snivelling about who is 7th or 9th - or who isn't in the 'top 10' - is pathetically childish, as far as I'm concerned and from where I now stand.

Since I'm already here... :

The FIA rules and regs are dog aweful leading to most 'races' being over after the first corner. The cars, from a visceral point of view, lack/will lack noise and beauty. Most circuits are crap. Todt is a piglet who needs roasting and his Stewards suck.

The element of danger/jeopardy is nonexistent. The drivers are cry babies.

The dominance of the Hybrid Turbo error/era by Merc has been a disaster and the pro-Hamilton bias on SKY and on here over the last four years has been, for me, too much.

F1 is a disaster with declining audiences and it's going to get worse as demographics keep shifting and vehicle technology evolves to becoming fully autonomous in our time.

I want to enjoy life and edit out negativity. F1 is no longer a positive in my life. Other than family, work and going to the gym, I love cars and driving them. I want to get back into horse racing (which I loved first as a kid before Gilles attracted me to Grand Prix racing), possibly buy into a horse racing stable (if I think there's money in it) and get into sim racing.

Also, I feel bad for suggesting Hughes' narratives had a pro-Hamilton bias this season. I actually like Hughes as a person. He's fantastic company, a decent human being and a real gentleman. Truly. So, upon reflection, I *genuinely* feel bad for my negative posts in that regard. I don't know what came over me. But I felt what I felt and it, obviously, wasn't a good feeling. Not good.

I need to stay away from posting here for my own good and the good of these F1 forums. It wasn't great taking a hatchet to Chandhok in the other thread. If I'm going to be like that, then that's not good. Having said that, I wouldn't change the crux of what I said to Chandhok in the post that was moderated out. It was the first of his pieces I had ever posted under, incidentally.

I also wanted to make a jokey comment in the Frankel piece on the UrrAnus SUV and the line about "Let's take the Lambo out" - but I stopped myself. I need a big, long break from MS Online and F1.

Bill, I'm not posting as someone else. I told you, I DON'T want to post anymore. It's just going to end up being a pile of negativity. So, please, I'd rather you not assume X, Y or Z is me. I am the only me. If they ban the Halo (on safety grounds) and change the aero regs, I *might* come back. And if I come back, I hope I come back 'improved' as a member of the forums (instead of being hateful of Todt, the regs, Merc, F1, etc.)

Enjoy your life, Bill. There's more to it than Formula One.

Best wishes to you going forward.

PS

I intend to delete this post within 24 hours - so, once you acknowledge it, it's gone.

nice meltdown

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

wicka posted:

Why do we treat Hershey’s Kisses as their own thing when it’s really just like they made too big chocolate chips?

Hershey's isn't chocolate

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hershey's is disgusting cuz they have an additive in it that makes it taste like puke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cadbury chocolate has gone to poo poo since they started cheaping out on it by adding fat. Galaxy is now the one true chocolate.

• Locked thread