Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

underage at the vape shop posted:

All of the criticals say kernel power, does that mean my PSU is toast?

As nielsm says, kernel power has nothing necessarily to do with the PSU.

*But* when you've run the easy non-intrusive tests like memtest, HD scans, checked CPU temps under load, etc then the PSU is the next thing I'd start looking suspiciously at. a dodgy PSU can produce a huge variety of failure modes depending on which components are most upset by crappy power.

Especially if this:

underage at the vape shop posted:

The computers only a few months old so if its hardware, atleast I can just consumer laws a new one
means that your PC is a dell or beige box of some sort, because those often use the crappiest $5 power supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

As nielsm says, kernel power has nothing necessarily to do with the PSU.

*But* when you've run the easy non-intrusive tests like memtest, HD scans, checked CPU temps under load, etc then the PSU is the next thing I'd start looking suspiciously at. a dodgy PSU can produce a huge variety of failure modes depending on which components are most upset by crappy power.

Especially if this:

means that your PC is a dell or beige box of some sort, because those often use the crappiest $5 power supplies.

Dell != beige box. Dells have better PSUs and components in general than people give them credit for. Admittedly I can only speak for the business class stuff, but still.
Beige box, though, the random cheap PC from a small retailer, that's where the 5 dollar horrors lie.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

what sort of chumpass rodent hasn't just been hitting the start key and the first couple of letters of whatever they want to run since like 2007 anyway

I was until Win10 somehow completely hosed that up with a twist of fist.

Seriously, it worked perfectly in Win7 and yet they've gone and dicked it so hard I'm surprised the start menu isn't stuck shut. It's honestly just about my only gripe with Win10 too. For the longest time I could hit winkey and then type "C:" and open C:, but winkey then "F:" would not open F: no matter how many times I tried. It just didn't show up.

1709 seems to have fixed that a little (I just tried the drive letters and they seem to work) but gently caress me there's a bunch of edge cases I still run in to where what was obviously the first candidate at the top of Win7's start menu is no longer in Win10 for no goddamn reason. UNC paths are a big culprit. I can't type \\server\share\ and hit enter, but I can type C:, hit enter, then type it in the explorer address path and have it instantly work.

I just don't get it. This is the sort of poo poo you'd expect devs to throw their computers out the window over during the first day of dogfooding.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I've never had any issue with Win 10's search. :shrug: Even Win 8 occasionally had hiccups but on 10 I can just absentmindedly hit the Win key, type the first two or three letters of whatever I wanna run or open and hit enter and I'm there. Never got these complaints about how Win 10 completely broke search or something.

So basically what I'm saying is it's the users who are wrong

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Classic Shell is the compromise that allowed me to upgrade my family's machines to Win10. If that ever went away, they'd start loudly demanding I bring back their old Vista/7 installs. Lots of people aren't power users.

Besides, being able to sequester the lovely UWP apps away from the list of programs I actually use is oh-so-nice.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Classic Shell is the compromise that allowed me to upgrade my family's machines to Win10. If that ever went away, they'd start loudly demanding I bring back their old Vista/7 installs. Lots of people aren't power users.

Besides, being able to sequester the lovely UWP apps away from the list of programs I actually use is oh-so-nice.

Then I'd suggest forking the project and starting to maintain it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Volguus posted:

Then I'd suggest forking the project and starting to maintain it.
I'm sure this will happen, but honestly, I think everyone involved would rather the new maintainer was a professional programmer by trade who had the time to take the project on. Not sure why you think random SA User #214585 is the best pick here.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
after spending about 30 seconds immediately after install on removing all the silly widgets from the start menu (leaving only the calendar, which is rather inoffensive) I really cannot say I have noticed any functional difference between the win7 and the win10 start menu, and I don't think I've seen anyone actually explain what is wrong with the win10 one

I have never used it for graphical navigation though, pretty much all I do with it is hit winkey and type a few letters to get it to start some program or open a folder

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 5, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't really get it either. I like the win10 start menu. Got the weather app pinned for a few places that I like to see the weather on and the calendar. I'm able to get to my network drives by typing \\ unlike the guy who posted about it earlier too.

I do have a gripe with calendar though, you can't just add any old ical or whatever feed to it. You can only add accounts.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 5, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using start10 ever since it was start8, never tried classic shell

Is there much difference between the two?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It sure is weird how people seem to have a crippling refusal to uninstall or remove shortcuts to things they don't want to use these days.

TheFluff posted:

after spending about 30 seconds immediately after install on removing all the silly widgets from the start menu (leaving only the calendar, which is rather inoffensive) I really cannot say I have noticed any functional difference between the win7 and the win10 start menu, and I don't think I've seen anyone actually explain what is wrong with the win10 one

It's annoying that you can't do proper subfolder nesting stuff. But I find being able to make the pin-panel wide and slap up a bunch of small icons more than makes up for that so I've never bothered to use any of those many "start menu replacement" things that I would have considered necessary if it was only a choice between 8's bullshit and them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

Dell != beige box. Dells have better PSUs and components in general than people give them credit for. Admittedly I can only speak for the business class stuff, but still.
Beige box, though, the random cheap PC from a small retailer, that's where the 5 dollar horrors lie.

*proprietary* PSUs and components.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xamphear posted:

I'm sure this will happen, but honestly, I think everyone involved would rather the new maintainer was a professional programmer by trade who had the time to take the project on. Not sure why you think random SA User #214585 is the best pick here.

Implying that the original developer wasn't just some random internet person...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ruflux posted:

I've never had any issue with Win 10's search. :shrug: Even Win 8 occasionally had hiccups but on 10 I can just absentmindedly hit the Win key, type the first two or three letters of whatever I wanna run or open and hit enter and I'm there. Never got these complaints about how Win 10 completely broke search or something.

The problem is behaviour is wildly inconsistent. On some systems it works just fine on others it’s the hot mess described above.

If it works for you count yourself lucky, for me it works well on 2/5 systems and is horribly broken on the other three. Note one of the broken systems is a fresh install SP3 so you can’t blame it on hardware.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

wolrah posted:

Implying that the original developer wasn't just some random internet person...

http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8147#p34939

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Most non slimline Dells haven't used proprietary psus since at least the i5 2500 era. The only proprietary component is the motherboard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheFluff posted:

I have never used it for graphical navigation though, pretty much all I do with it is hit winkey and type a few letters to get it to start some program or open a folder
That's mostly because it's been completely revised at least three times since Windows 10 released. You used to have to hit a button to see an alphabetical list of all your programs, which I think was the big deal-breaker for almost everyone.

It's still a pain in the rear end for old programs that want to dump two dozen shortcuts in their own dedicated folder.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xamphear posted:

Because that random SA user could be a professional programmer by trade. They do exist and they do visit SA you know. And to be fair, while one would need some programming experience to maintain that, the most important quality that they need to have is the motivation and desire to maintain it. Programming is not rocket science and if you hit the keyboard long enough until poo poo compiles everyone's happy. Even google will hire you. The motivation is the hard thing to come by.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ghostlight posted:

You used to have to hit a button to see an alphabetical list of all your programs, which I think was the big deal-breaker for almost everyone.

So, it behaved like the Start Menu always did? what

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, I didn't see what the big deal was either but a lot of people complained about that All Apps button.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zero VGS posted:

lol you expect me to type on a keyboard? Seriously, pin to taskbar for apps I use all the time, Classic Shell for the alphabetical list of all apps and a quick way to get to the control panel stuff, who needs to be typing poo poo?

enjoy peering over your bifocals as you scroll down that program list gramps

Nam Taf posted:

I was until Win10 somehow completely hosed that up with a twist of fist.

still works for me just fine

Ruflux posted:

eh, searching for files and what have you through Explorer *is* busted and slow as hell in 10, at least compared to 7 and 8. I just sub in Search Everything.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I like windows 10, and don't use it any more, but I think Startisback is the best 3rd party replacement. It's worth the couple of bucks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fishmech posted:

It sure is weird how people seem to have a crippling refusal to uninstall or remove shortcuts to things they don't want to use these days.

hmmm yes, people have a crippling refusal to uninstall or remove shortcuts to things that have no obvious way to uninstall or remove

the fact that deleting Groove Music or Xbox from your pc requires a bunch of powershell command line fuckery has nothing to do with it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

hmmm yes, people have a crippling refusal to uninstall or remove shortcuts to things that have no obvious way to uninstall or remove

the fact that deleting Groove Music or Xbox from your pc requires a bunch of powershell command line fuckery has nothing to do with it

Here is a picture illustrating what to do:

Wow! Amazing! You don't have the shortcut to look at anymore. Gosh if only you somehow bothered to look at the very first right click option 2 years ago you wouldn't have needed to execute random powershell commands to remove a shortcut.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

fishmech posted:

Here is a picture illustrating what to do:

Wow! Amazing! You don't have the shortcut to look at anymore. Gosh if only you somehow bothered to look at the very first right click option 2 years ago you wouldn't have needed to execute random powershell commands to remove a shortcut.

Don't be a dick. You can't remove it from your Start menu without powershell. That's not what he is referring to.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Haven't opened many/any Dells in the past, oh, eight years, huh? And don't say AIOs or Micros.. their form factors mandate it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GreenNight posted:

Don't be a dick. You can't remove it from your Start menu without powershell. That's not what he is referring to.

Are you talking about removing it from the All Apps list? I mean, that's true but Windows has always had components included that are a pain to remove. Easy to ignore them though.

Tapedump posted:

Haven't opened many/any Dells in the past, oh, eight years, huh? And don't say AIOs or Micros.. their form factors mandate it.

Depends on the Dell. Check out a Poweredge T20; the rest of the system is basically microATX standard, but the PSU uses a proprietary 8-pin connector. If you're talking exclusively about consumer gear though I won't argue with you, I haven't touched that side of the house in 15 years.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Is Dell still using BTX? They were on that for quite a while while everybody else gave up on it and I thought that was why the connector was different.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Maybe I’m an idiot smoothbrain but the default Windows 10 start menu works just fine for me. All Apps is right there, the stuff I actually use is pinned to the taskbar or hanging out in the system tray. There’s live tiles for that stuff too.

The system tray doesn’t play ball and that’s annoying though. I don’t need the input selector and please remember what icons I want visible at all times. Otherwise Windows 10 is really fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The start button right-click menu is the best thing they ever added to the start menu and I wish more people knew about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I was initially turned off by Windows 10's start menu "turning itself off" and not responding to clicks. They fixed it eventually but boy that was loving irritating.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The start button right-click menu is the best thing they ever added to the start menu and I wish more people knew about it.

And then they removed the Control Panel link from that menu. I'd like to stab someone at MS.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Alright, here's a concrete reason why the Start Menu in 7 and Start Menu replacements are better (FOR ME) than the stock Windows 10 Start Menu.

Partial keyword matching broke all the way back in the first release of 10 and they haven't bothered fixing it. In 7/Replacements you can type the first couple letters of multiple words in a shortcut and it finds what you want. In 10 you cannot.

Maybe you don't do this, maybe you don't care. I did, and do, so I paid like $4 for a copy of Start10 and as far as I can tell I'm not hurting anyone else by using it. This is just one thing. Everyone using a replacement will likely have their own "one thing." Just because you haven't got your own "one thing" doesn't mean there aren't any differences.

Can we drop this whole derail now?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Apologies for continuing the "derail" (how is it a derail to discuss the Start Menu in the Windows thread?) and especially if I'm misunderstanding you, but I can definitely type in part of the name of a shortcut in my Start menu and get an autocomplete. I even tried it just now to make sure. It sounds like this particular breakage you're experiencing might be more particular than just Windows 10.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

fine, anyone use the notification panel?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Eletriarnation posted:

Apologies for continuing the "derail" (how is it a derail to discuss the Start Menu in the Windows thread?) and especially if I'm misunderstanding you, but I can definitely type in part of the name of a shortcut in my Start menu and get an autocomplete. I even tried it just now to make sure. It sounds like this particular breakage you're experiencing might be more particular than just Windows 10.

As I said earlier the issue is consistency. If it worked for everyone like it does for you then no one would be complaining but as it stands search is flat out broken on some systems (or even some profiles on the same system)

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I think the key phrase is "multiple words"

Notice how the actual application doesn't show up, but a bunch of files and folders with the same name do when I try to use parts of more than one word to search. That'd be annoying if I wanted to launch the pokemon showdown application instead of the trading card game one.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Oh. Yeah, that's a weird thing to do IMO (cutting out a chunk of the middle of the string you're searching for) and I wouldn't have expected it to work, but if it worked before I can understand being miffed. It certainly is strange that it works to find folders but not shortcuts.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 7, 2017

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Last Chance posted:

I was initially turned off by Windows 10's start menu "turning itself off" and not responding to clicks. They fixed it eventually but boy that was loving irritating.
I've been having this issue randomly crop up on my machine at work again. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is Dell still using BTX? They were on that for quite a while while everybody else gave up on it and I thought that was why the connector was different.

Nah, they went BTX during the Pentium D/early Core2 Duo/Quad era, but went back to ATX by the time the 45nm Core chips were released.

I converted an XPS 700 from BTX to ATX form factor because I liked this case so much and BTX had no upgrade path, but it was not a fun job.