Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yes, those are shows that Netflix owns the domestic distribution rights to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They do use the term "original" very loosely.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The way distributors have always used the term.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Have any of yous guys used the various VR apps that are available by Hulu, Netflix, etc? I’m intrigued by streaming things in virtual reality, but I have no idea if those settings are fun to use or if they are more of a flash-in-the-pan kind of deal where it is neat to try but is otherwise not practical.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lycus posted:

The way distributors have always used the term.

Really? I think if netflix funds something's creation it makes perfect sense, but taking something that aired elsewhere and buying exclusive rights in another region is really pushing the term "Netflix Original". Netflix exclusive would make a lot more sense.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Have any of yous guys used the various VR apps that are available by Hulu, Netflix, etc? I’m intrigued by streaming things in virtual reality, but I have no idea if those settings are fun to use or if they are more of a flash-in-the-pan kind of deal where it is neat to try but is otherwise not practical.

I have, and imho they are total crap. VR is really cool if something is created in a 3D engine but I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by VR Video. It's basically just a flat usually stretched out, out of scale blurry 360 image that looks like terrible.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 5, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

... or if they are more of a flash-in-the-pan kind of deal where it is neat to try but is otherwise not practical.

Like VR itself?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah vr rules

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phone based like the GearVR is awesome for watching Netflix while laying down in bed or something, but in pretty much any other situation the resolution trade off isn't worth it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Really? I think if netflix funds something's creation it makes perfect sense, but taking something that aired elsewhere and buying exclusive rights in another region is really pushing the term "Netflix Original". Netflix exclusive would make a lot more sense.

Yes. This is how it works in TV lingo. A decade ago, I remember people constantly aaking "Why do they call this movie a Scifi Original if Scifi didn't produce it?" Same answer, they owned the domestic distribution rights.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Phone based like the GearVR is awesome for watching Netflix while laying down in bed or something, but in pretty much any other situation the resolution trade off isn't worth it.

Oh I think I misunderstood. Yeah vr headsets are pretty good for an occasional faux theater experience. I was thinking he was talking about Hulu VR or whatever and it's just not any good.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lycus posted:

Yes. This is how it works in TV lingo. A decade ago, I remember people constantly aaking "Why do they call this movie a Scifi Original if Scifi didn't produce it?" Same answer, they owned the domestic distribution rights.

Strikes me as more of an 'exclusive' than 'original', but then it's all just semantics.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I finally decided to start watching Patriot, and it does indeed rule. I'm on episode 6 now. I like Dennis a lot, and Leslie is also great. I like the main guy too, but something about the way he talks kind of irritates me. I'm only doing the free trial of Prime because I'm kind of broke right now, but I'll see what else I can fit in before it ends. It looks like I can also do a week-long trial of Showtime, so hopefully I'll be able to get through all of the new Twin Peaks too.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I hope y'all have watched Netflix's new film noir short, Meridian. it's 12 minutes long.

And it makes very little sense.

But that's for a particular reason - it was designed to include sequences that specifically screw around with streaming video compression codecs, things like smoke, sharp contrasts of light and color that move fast, water, areas of different resolution in the frame at the same time, etc.

The purpose is to give codec designers a reference movie to test their new algorithms against so that streaming can get better.

There's actually no real reason to watch it.

Netflix says they might do a season 2!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I hope y'all have watched Netflix's new film noir short, Meridian. it's 12 minutes long.

But that's for a particular reason - it was designed to include sequences that specifically screw around with streaming video compression codecs, things like smoke, sharp contrasts of light and color that move fast, water, areas of different resolution in the frame at the same time, etc.

The purpose is to give codec designers a reference movie to test their new algorithms against so that streaming can get better.

I hope it follows up on the lingering plot threads from Example Short 23.976

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The series based on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, a darker and more Satan-filled remake of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, is now exclusively on Netflix instead of The CW. Two seasons have been ordered.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/riverdale-shoot-sabrina-moves-netflix-2-season-order-1060852

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The new GUI for Prime on the PS4 is much better than before, but they omitted the feature where you can remove films from your to-watch list, which is reprehensible

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Anyone plowed through Dark on Netflix?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Haha, this is cool as gently caress and I'm really glad they did it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anyone plowed through Dark on Netflix?

Yup, that ending ruled

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yup, that ending ruled

Yeah, most of it kicked butt. But holy hell, you had to pay attention 99.9% of the time watching it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yup, that ending ruled

i got two episodes left, so dont spoil it, but is this show a one off? will there there be a season 2? i prefer a one off tbh.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i got two episodes left, so dont spoil it, but is this show a one off? will there there be a season 2? i prefer a one off tbh.

Hasn't been announced but I'm going to say "probably yes".

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hasn't been announced but I'm going to say "probably yes".

what i meant is, does the ending imply that or could it stand on its own?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It could stand on its own, but leaves enough loose strings that could be revisited. At least that was how I viewed it, leaving the door open for another season. Sorry for being cryptic, trying not to spoil things.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 6, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Black Mirror on December 29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ELQ6u_5YYM

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Colostomy Bag posted:

It could stand on its own, but leaves enough loose strings that could be revisited. At least that was how I viewed it, leaving the door open for another season. Sorry for being cryptic, trying not to spoil things.

thank you. im a little sick of shows that overstay their welcome. i also hate when people beg me to watch a show and it has like 7 seasons. holy poo poo that is too big of an investment.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

thank you. im a little sick of shows that overstay their welcome. i also hate when people beg me to watch a show and it has like 7 seasons. holy poo poo that is too big of an investment.

Understand that one. Unfortunately (and I'm guilty of this) one can reach the sunk cost fallacy. Three seasons in and "I'm not giving up on it now" type of thing. For me it was 'Sons of Anarchy'. I had to see it to the bitter end. Along with 'True Detective' season 2. Both of those were brutal, but I had to do it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Colostomy Bag posted:

Understand that one. Unfortunately (and I'm guilty of this) one can reach the sunk cost fallacy. Three seasons in and "I'm not giving up on it now" type of thing. For me it was 'Sons of Anarchy'. I had to see it to the bitter end. Along with 'True Detective' season 2. Both of those were brutal, but I had to do it.

I did that with Heroes, and I never even really liked it when people said it was good. I said I would never do that again. Then I did it with Sons of Anarchy, which was somehow worse than Heroes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
SoA was so loving bad. It was made by a guy who worked on The Shield, but he learned all the wrong lessons from his time there. The finale was so loving bad. The moment everyone was waiting for and it looked like a loving Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

When watching SoA it helps to view it as a comedy. That's the only way to make it through. It was probably the most ludicrous shitpile of a show ever. Sutter sure is full of himself.

And to think he dragged his wife Peggy Bundy into that other series where she was a witch and no one could understand what the gently caress anyone was saying.

Last I read he was trying to resurrect SoA focusing on the Mayans. Good god.

e: Yeah, ramming yourself into a semi driven by a former cast member/friend was indeed a Wile E Coyote moment.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 6, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy poo poo I totally forgot that was Chiklis driving the semi.

Wait what. Sagal is married to Kurt Sutter? That explains a great many things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait what. Sagal is married to Kurt Sutter? That explains a great many things.

It explains everything tbh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sagal's death was so poorly done too, it was laughably bad. Sutter actually did manage to build up a lot of different compelling plot lines over the course of the show and it's amazing just how few of them went anywhere or had satisfying conclusions. The last successful arc that had a solid beginning middle and end happened like 4 whole seasons before the show actually ended.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Sagal's death was so poorly done too, it was laughably bad. Sutter actually did manage to build up a lot of different compelling plot lines over the course of the show and it's amazing just how few of them went anywhere or had satisfying conclusions. The last successful arc that had a solid beginning middle and end happened like 4 whole seasons before the show actually ended.

What arc are you talking you about? I'm actually curious.

With the FBI agent?

My favorite of Sutter's masterful writing was the cliffhanger when the bar blew up due to some explosives strapped to a beer keg. When going through the finances the next season they realize their auto repair place is somewhat keeping things afloat.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this small town is more dangerous than Somalia.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

What arc are you talking you about? I'm actually curious.

With the FBI agent?

My favorite of Sutter's masterful writing was the cliffhanger when the bar blew up due to some explosives strapped to a beer keg. When going through the finances the next season they realize their auto repair place is somewhat keeping things afloat.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this small town is more dangerous than Somalia.

Exactly correct. I think most people would agree that the Agent Stahl arc was probably the last really solid one they did.

When I think about it, Sutter's tendency to have the Sons repeatedly in these dire situations only for the twist to be that they had planned it in advance as an ambush all along could probably be traced back to that arc. He kept going back to that well over and over again, maybe because that season was so well received.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 6, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Exactly correct. I think most people would agree that the Agent Stahl arc was probably the last really solid one they did.

What was Sutter's fascination with the Irish and the guns, stealing the baby, yada yada. That was a slog.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

I did the like the story line in the second to last season where Jax comes face to face with some of the damage his father's reckless suicide caused, the girl who lost her mother in the resulting pile up. Which made all the better when Jax decided to kill himself in the same reckless way, even going so far as to turn the suicide of a mass murderer into a blunt Jesus allegory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I did the like the story line in the second to last season where Jax comes face to face with some of the damage his father's reckless suicide caused, the girl who lost her mother in the resulting pile up. Which made all the better when Jax decided to kill himself in the same reckless way, even going so far as to turn the suicide of a mass murderer into a blunt Jesus allegory.

Basically everything that related to Jax's personal growth over the course of the series was ruined or contradicted within a few episodes. Which, if it weren't Sutter and the rest of the show didn't stand as evidence to the contrary, would almost make me think that was the point. But no, we can be sure that Sutter thought he was crafting this multi-faceted, conflicted scoundrel with a heart of gold but he just couldn't help undercutting that constantly for the sake of whatever seemed most badass in the moment.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Basically everything that related to Jax's personal growth over the course of the series was ruined or contradicted within a few episodes.

For a second there I thought you were talking about Vanderpump Rules, and I was going to question when Jax ever had any personal growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone remotely interested in the doping scandal that led to Russia getting banned from the next Olympics, check out Icarus on Netflix.