Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Milky Moor posted:

i knew i should've got in at 6000!! gently caress you bitcoin thread!!!!

It’s not too late and really easy to invest in Bitcoin. Here’s my official three-step guide to investing in bitcoins:

1. Become verified at one of the many reputable exchanges
2. Have time machine
3. Dinner at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe

*) This is not investment advice. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have a six year old computer my cat likes to sleep on sometimes because it's just sitting next to her tower, unused. Many bitcoins can I mine with this thing? Will I become an overnight millionaire???

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was checking Bloomberg on the crapper and saw "The case for $400,000 Bitcoin by 2018" and I just started lolling this is going to end in tears.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
"BTC Cause For Hyperinflation Across The Globe"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

klafbang posted:

1. Become verified at one of the many reputable exchanges

Hi it seems that all of the exchanges are disreputable in some way, can you please revise this step

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Hi please change the thread title to reflect BTC at 13K, TIA.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hi please change the thread title to reflect BTC at 13K, TIA.

It changes too often to be worth the effort

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
BTC at 13k with a DOMINANCE of 58%.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
BuTtCoin

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

COMRADES posted:

I was checking Bloomberg on the crapper and saw "The case for $400,000 Bitcoin by 2018" and I just started lolling this is going to end in tears.

Surely Bitcoin will have a market cap of over $6 trillion dollars by next year, invest now

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

myDad posted:

"BTC Cause For Hyperinflation Across The Globe"

Surely the opposite

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Days since bitcoin exhange hacked and money stolen: 0

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

To any and all Bitcoin millionaires reading this:

Use your newfound Bitcoin wealth to lobby the government of Montana to officially adopt cryptocurrency in the state of Montana.

It would give cryptocurrency and blockchain technologies a foothold in legitimate state activities.

As Montana is not a populous state, it would not require spending too much to convince politicians. Additionally, since Montana has a large amount of anti-federal government activity, it should be relatively easy to convince local populace to adopt.

I call it Buttecoin.

(Original idea. Do not steal.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/NiceHash/comments/7hy6tp/looks_like_the_end_of_nicehash_how_much_did_you/

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

its all nice on rice posted:

I have a six year old computer my cat likes to sleep on sometimes because it's just sitting next to her tower, unused. Many bitcoins can I mine with this thing? Will I become an overnight millionaire???

definitely. you should also buy lots of graphics cards to mine bitcoin with. i believe you can get them on ebay.

look for the ones that say "NOT USED FOR MINING"

* this advice not professional grade

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Best to avoid cryptos lil bro, scared of risk and poverty ghosts, that's ok other people are willing to make some cash :shrug:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

I call it Buttecoin.

:lol:
Quality post!

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Wee, Steam no longer accepts bitcoin!
http://store.steampowered.com/news/

quote:

As of today, Steam will no longer support Bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of Bitcoin.

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

The normal resolution for this is to either refund the original payment to the user, or ask the user to transfer additional funds to cover the remaining balance. In both these cases, the user is hit with the Bitcoin network transaction fee again. This year, we’ve seen increasing number of customers get into this state. With the transaction fee being so high right now, it is not feasible to refund or ask the customer to transfer the missing balance (which itself runs the risk of underpayment again, depending on how much the value of Bitcoin changes while the Bitcoin network processes the additional transfer).

At this point, it has become untenable to support Bitcoin as a payment option. We may re-evaluate whether Bitcoin makes sense for us and for the Steam community at a later date.

We will continue working to resolve any pending issues for customers who are impacted by existing underpayments or transaction fees.

-- The Steam Team

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
this is good for bitcoin, because

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
No transaction fees*!

*$20/transaction fee

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Slightly Absurd posted:

:thunk:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1 Bitcoin equals 12988.97 US Dollar

why would I waste my crypto money in pablum like steam games when it will be worth more tomorrow :agesilaus:

exploded mummy posted:

Days since bitcoin exhange hacked and money stolen: 0

Reset the clock

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
should i donate my spare cpu cycles to help bruteforce random wallets lol

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

scott zoloft posted:

should i donate my spare cpu cycles to help bruteforce random wallets lol

Eagerly awaiting this guy bruteforcing my buttcoins.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Hmmm, maybe Bitcoin is not the currency of the future after all......

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

literally a hog posted:

Hmmm, maybe Bitcoin is not the currency of the future after all......

Obviously not a currency lol. It's a store for value, much like a freezer is. A freezer that will be stolen unless you unplug it. Also, a freezer that might destroy its contents in a power outage. And a freezer that can't be opened if you lose the piece of paper with the combination to its lock because your house burned down.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Slightly Absurd posted:

At least I can still buy subway

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I call this, "Coffee and Blockchains."

[Fade from black, we're looking through a window. An obese man wearing glasses and camo is trying to purchase a coffee at a counter. A Neon Sign reads "The Mt. Gox Deli". Cut to the Purveyor standing behind the counter with a friendly smile.]

Purveyor: "One large coffee, with tax that'll be $3.13. Cash or credit?"

Obese Man: (wheezing) "I only pay in Bitcoin."

Purveyor: "No problem. According to our live ticker then, that'll be $25.62."

Obese Man: "This is outrageous! Bitcoin is the next-generation store of value!"

Purveyor: "Of course, sir, but we're just letting you know the processing fee."

[Obese Man nearly knocks the chip reader over with his fat folds as he pays with Android NFC. A beep is heard.]

Purveyor: "Okay and we'll just need to wait for a Chinese miner to verify the blockchain."

[At least three minutes elapse. Another customer gets in line, and there is some humorous body language as the customer realizes what's going on. He and Purveyor silently mock Obese Man, then look away when he almost catches them. A different beep is heard.]

Purveyor: "Oh I'm sorry, your payment went through but the price of Bitcoin has crashed and the fees have skyrocketed, so you still owe us $13."

[Obese man is sweating profusely, he taps his phone again, we hear a beep, and a few minutes elapse. More customers gather, and soon everyone except Obese Man is in on the joke. They all look away, a beat, and the second beep.]

Purveyor: "Ah! I'm sorry. Your payment cleared, but it looks like fluctuations in the market mean you still owe us $5.03."

[The patrons are now hiding side-splitting laughters, someone runs to the bathroom and distant laughing is heard.]

Obese Man: "Excuse me, the Blockchain is the first truly trustworthy system to ever come to banking, it is revolutionary."

Purveyor: "Of course sir, but there is the matter of payment."

[It has been almost 10 minutes since Obese Man entered the shop, and it will have been almost 15 by the time this transaction clears. By this time customers are getting impatient.]

Purveyor: "Ah excellent, it looks like there has been a slight market adjustment and you have now overpaid by $23,405.23! Per the written policy you can see on the sign behind me, we will be keeping this difference and we thank you for your generous tip."

Obese Man: "This is unbelievable! How can you expect to get away with this!?"

Purveyor: "Such a transaction would have been entirely anonymous, sir. Therefore I have no idea what you may or may not be referring to. Next?"

[The next customer in line pays for a coffee in cash. In overlapping dialog the transaction takes all of five seconds, as Obese Man waddles out huffing. Purveyor realizes Obese Man has forgotten his coffee.]

[end scene]

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Fried Watermelon posted:

At least I can still buy subway

Do they make the sandwich before or after the transaction goes through? I'd like to avoid this if possible:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hear some big bitcoin outfit has been hack/grabbed the cash and ran again and now $60mio are lost. Any good suicide notes on bitcointalk?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Slightly Absurd posted:

lolling.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
number go UP

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I hear some big bitcoin outfit has been hack/grabbed the cash and ran again and now $60mio are lost. Any good suicide notes on bitcointalk?

I got a great suicide note for myself, but it's unrelated to any of this

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

number go UP

Bitcoin is dying, cloud

Looks like one more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered Bitcoin community

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I got a great suicide note for myself, but it's unrelated to any of this

Post it man, don't let it go to waste. You are not gonna kill yourself anyway

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

If you have a link for this, I need a laugh. How many times has that happened now? Or is that number obfuscated by a faithful community?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

revwinnebago posted:

I call this, "Coffee and Blockchains."

Boring effort posts are that way, sir. Thank you.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I made 100 posts in this thread to say stuff like "Bitcoin is neither good nor bad" and "invest money in my rear end".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Minimalist Program posted:

I made 100 posts in this thread to say stuff like "Bitcoin is neither good nor bad" and "invest money in my rear end".

True Neutral on the poster alignment chart