Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Corrode posted:

Thinking at 2k:

Pedro + LT
2x twin las/ML dreads, 1x quad AC dread
3x scouts
2x HB inceptors
2x quad las Devs
3x assbacks

CoCo (warlord with Grand Strategist/Kurov's)
Culexus
2x infantry squads

Scouts spread out for objectives/anti-DS, infantry keeps the backfield and stands in front of things that matter. 12 lascans, 36 HBs, 36 asscans a turn, plus the MLs and the autocans on the one dread. CoCo is the warlord for obvious reasons and hides as securely as possible.

Cheers guys. At some point I should get all 15 HWTs out, it's like a mini diorama on them. Also yes to the Pig Iron heads, those are top stuff.

This looks a lot like what I'd like to do for my Space Marines, except with 3 Predators instead of Dreads. Anything you'd recommend doing in that case? Is a Techmarine worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This looks a lot like what I'd like to do for my Space Marines, except with 3 Predators instead of Dreads. Anything you'd recommend doing in that case? Is a Techmarine worth it?

I feel like Techmarines aren't really worthwhile because any competent opponent is going to 1-round an individual thing instead of spreading the wounds around. In the theoretical situation where someone wounds a vehicle but doesn't kill it, and the D3 really counts (e.g. healing something back above a wound threshold) then that would be helpful, but I'm not sure it's worth investing 60pts in. It might be worthwhile if you wanted a relatively cheap HQ to fill out the Patrol that I use to get the Culexus in and retain the CF bonus, if for some reason you didn't want the Guard commander.

I guess the main differences are that Preds are bit more expensive and you trade up 3 wounds each and slightly better firepower for losing out on Chapter tactics, and I happen to think the Fists one is strong and getting stronger. I wouldn't ever expect to use Killshot unless you're going 1st or your opponent is really dumb, and remember that Preds have a bigger footprint than Dreds which impacts auras and how easy it is to bubble wrap them. Thinking on points, you're looking about 40pts more per Pred, 50pts more for rifledread -> Predator, so you're going to have to lose something - most likely the assassin and an infantry squad.

I personally prefer AC/LC to quad las because the Pred autocannon is really great (and if you do happen to get Killshot on is strictly better than two lascannons iirc),

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

Thinking at 2k:

Pedro + LT
3x scouts
2x HB inceptors
2x quad las Devs
3x assbacks

Culexus
2x infantry squads

I like it, a solid gun heavy force. Maybe think about dropping the Assbacks since they don't benefit of Imperial Fist tactics, and received a points increase and take a regular Rhino for Pedro and whoever else.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Best case scenario for the techmarine is ~10 more wounds total for your armour.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I like it, a solid gun heavy force. Maybe think about dropping the Assbacks since they don't benefit of Imperial Fist tactics, and received a points increase and take a regular Rhino for Pedro and whoever else.

What would you trade them for to retain the anti-infantry power - more Inceptors? Taurox Primes with the Guard (which I think are the same points now?)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Speaking of paint times, I got to sit on conference calls all day so I decided to use some of my time for Papa Nurgle:

Probably took in the area of an hour with washes drying.

The photos are showing me touch ups I have to go do. :negative:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Speeding up painting without compromising results comes down to a few things which don't all involve picking up a brush.

Planning. Know what colours you're going to use, where, and how. Order your painting so that you aren't constantly going back to re-use a paint... do everything that will need an Agrax wash and then do all the washing at once etc.
For instance, if you're doing Death Guard consider using the DG Green spray, it'll take less time putting a coat of black over the to-be-metal areas than brushing DG Green over a black undercoated suit of armour.

Practice. It's obvious but the more you highlight (or whatever) the faster you'll become at it,

Accept that not every model is going to be your best (if you want an army) and work to a standard you are happy with. Maybe that means only going beyond one highlight for characters. Or doing your Daemons with shades over white. A neat but basic army will still look good from table distance.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Corrode posted:

Predator Chat

Yeah, I definitely agree. I'd rather have the Dreads really, I think they're cooler in general and losing Ignores Cover really hurts. I've got thee AC/LC preds just sitting around from a friend's 5th edition army I bought though so I might as well find a way to use them. I almost think a 4th could be useful just for Killshot insurance but that just seems too expensive.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, I definitely agree. I'd rather have the Dreads really, I think they're cooler in general and losing Ignores Cover really hurts. I've got thee AC/LC preds just sitting around from a friend's 5th edition army I bought though so I might as well find a way to use them. I almost think a 4th could be useful just for Killshot insurance but that just seems too expensive.

I feel you, I have 3 AC/LC Preds too. I was using them for a while, but they're not really tough enough to justify costing nearly 200pts and offering not much more firepower than the cheaper Dreads.

In typical fashion, to actually run the list I posted I need another 4-las Dev squad, another squad of Scouts and 3 more Inceptors, because this hobby is a curse on the wallet.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Thinking at 2k:

Pedro + LT
3x scouts
2x HB inceptors
2x quad las Devs
3x assbacks

Culexus
2x infantry squads

Scouts spread out for objectives/anti-DS, infantry keeps the backfield and stands in front of things that matter. 12 lascans, 36 HBs, 36 asscans a turn, plus the MLs and the autocans on the one dread. CoCo is the warlord for obvious reasons and hides as securely as possible.

The assbacks and devs are the weakest part but you are super stationary anyway so I guess it's ok. It's a gnarly gunline but I think you cede the board and have zero close combat other than Pedro and the assassin. The scouts + infantry getting in the way does help mitigate that though.

It feels like Tau man. And the only Tau I ever liked was giant stompy robot Tau.

Corrode posted:

In typical fashion, to actually run the list I posted I need another 4-las Dev squad, another squad of Scouts and 3 more Inceptors, because this hobby is a curse on the wallet.

loving right

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 6, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

Is there such a thing as TOO sexy a Badcast? Find out in episode 22!
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/12/06/40k-badcast-21-that-time-it-got-a-little-too-erotic/

If you guys aren't listening to this podcast yet I don't know what the hell is wrong with you.

Some things that jumped out at me.
-Finding MicroSol was game changing for my transfer efforts, all my previous ones look like poo poo to me now.
-Thunderclese reference(NERD!!!)
-There was a gender question on the survey that went beyond the binary? I didn't even notice. You know why? Because I don't give a poo poo what people want to identify as. I didn't even know people made a stink about it.
-Sex Cannon has a band, and was late for a show because he is more dedicated to 40k. This is proper priority placement. He probably told me he has a band, I just forgot, his life beyond 40k is irrelevant...except maybe his lifting habits.
-Was pretty stoked to see you both at Adepticon, and knowing you won't be there sucks.
-The Atheist questions...what the gently caress.
-Best fanfic yet...I about embarrassed myself at work trying to stifle my laughing as Sex Cannon's protests grew louder.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

What would you trade them for to retain the anti-infantry power - more Inceptors? Taurox Primes with the Guard (which I think are the same points now?)

More inceptors does seem tempting. You could even give Intercessors or Aggressors a try. They could basically advanced alongside Pedro and the Lt, provide decent firepower, and use terrain to keep themselves alive.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

The assbacks and devs are the weakest part but you are super stationary anyway so I guess it's ok. It's a gnarly gunline but I think you cede the board and have zero close combat other than Pedro and the assassin.

It feels like Tau man. And the only Tau I ever liked was giant stompy robot Tau.

Yeah it's extremely static. I'm not especially bothered about CC - I feel like most of the Marine CC options suck so whatever. It's tempting to drop Mephiston/Celestine/the BA hammer captain you talked about in there, but it's going to rapidly start carving out firepower to manage that. One Dev squad or some combo of assback/rifledread + an infantry squad would get Mephiston or the hammer Captain, mind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So after years in the GW wilderness as one of the people who routinely made fun of them in the various Death Threads, I suddenly find myself interested in playing 40k again. :sweatdrop: Should I grab one of the cheaper starter boxes to begin with, or should I just sell my blood plasma save up my hard-earned pennies and get the Dark Imperium box?

40k is expensive, especially to start. I would download the free rules and pirate the codexes until you know you're hooked on it, basically everybody does that since they're so expensive. Save your money for models and paints and terrain at first, then buy the codex later.

I'd also pick one faction and stick with it to save money, so only get dark imperium if you wanna play SM or DG CSM AND you have a friend who wants the other one, or you're willing to track down a buyer.

SteelMentor posted:

If these are the new Beasts of Nurgle I can dig it.

Love this. I want more silly / goofy looking daemons!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PierreTheMime posted:

Speaking of paint times, I got to sit on conference calls all day so I decided to use some of my time for Papa Nurgle:

Everytime you post a model pic you always notice touchups, but that doesn't mean anybody would notice on a table. Looks loving amazing dude.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Uroboros posted:

-There was a gender question on the survey that went beyond the binary? I didn't even notice. You know why? Because I don't give a poo poo what people want to identify as. I didn't even know people made a stink about it.

I haven't listened to the episode yet so excuse me if this just repeating what they said, but yeah. Vile, headfucked losers have been kicking off about GW acknowledging that :females: exist and play the games. SJWs 'culturally cleansing' the hobby etc. That question pushed a lot of them over the edge screaming into the Mariana Trench.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

Yeah it's extremely static. I'm not especially bothered about CC - I feel like most of the Marine CC options suck so whatever. It's tempting to drop Mephiston/Celestine/the BA hammer captain you talked about in there, but it's going to rapidly start carving out firepower to manage that. One Dev squad or some combo of assback/rifledread + an infantry squad would get Mephiston or the hammer Captain, mind.

I assume you are looking to run Crimson Fists, right? Or is any chapter up for grabs?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Captain hammer would be hard and really needs stratagems. Celestine is hard to not include, if nothing else just to go harass the other side of the table. Mephi was pretty solid when I played last night, even against board wide bug "1d6 to cast now" stratagem with a -1 to cast bubble because it forced him to burn points to keep Mephi in the midfield. Once he got up there 4+d3 swings was fine, and he brings 2 denies (at +1 within 12") which is huge with your assassin's -2 bubble.

e: Pedro is better than I think because you do have marines unlocked. Swinging twice and swinging when you die is pretty nice. You could probably run a normal captain in marines and do a similar thing. And honestly a staff librarian on a bike isn't terrible either since he can null zone down M&M with your lascannons and have might of the heroes to go punch stuff at S8 with 4 swings.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 6, 2017

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm looking for a good counts-as emperor figure, to polish off a custodes Armies on Parade board I'm thinking of doing.
I know there was a non-GW mini that was made years and years ago that occasionally resurfaces on Ebay. Does anyone know of good search terms that might help me track it down?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I assume you are looking to run Crimson Fists, right? Or is any chapter up for grabs?

Yeah running CFs is one of my red lines I guess. I know there's a couple which are probably strictly better but I'm soft at heart, plus I think the tactic is stronger than it gets credit for.

Naramyth posted:

Captain hammer would be hard and really needs stratagems. Celestine is hard to not include, if nothing else just to go harass the other side of the table. Mephi was pretty solid when I played last night, even against board wide bug "1d6 to cast now" stratagem with a -1 to cast bubble because it forced him to burn points to keep Mephi in the midfield. Once he got up there 4+d3 swings was fine, and he brings 2 denies (at +1 within 12") which is huge with your assassin's -2 bubble.

At 200pts I'm less inclined to Celestine than I could be - I think I could just about squeeze her in by trading the rifle Dread, an infantry squad and the random point-filler Guard lascan that's in there, but gently caress I want all the Dreadnoughts man. Mephi at 145pts is more tempting, plus his model isn't such a complete oval office to transport as Celestine is.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I haven't listened to the episode yet so excuse me if this just repeating what they said, but yeah. Vile, headfucked losers have been kicking off about GW acknowledging that :females: exist and play the games. SJWs 'culturally cleansing' the hobby etc. That question pushed a lot of them over the edge screaming into the Mariana Trench.

Yeah I saw the survey possibilities and was like "oh yeah, cool." What the gently caress is wrong with people's brains to get angry about that?

I mean I know the answer is "fascism" but still.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Yeah running CFs is one of my red lines I guess. I know there's a couple which are probably strictly better but I'm soft at heart, plus I think the tactic is stronger than it gets credit for.

At 200pts I'm less inclined to Celestine than I could be - I think I could just about squeeze her in by trading the rifle Dread, an infantry squad and the random point-filler Guard lascan that's in there, but gently caress I want all the Dreadnoughts man. Mephi at 145pts is more tempting, plus his model isn't such a complete oval office to transport as Celestine is.

She is still money in my context at 200, but I feel ya. And since you might miss the edit:

e: Pedro is better than I think because you do have marines unlocked. Swinging twice and swinging when you die is pretty nice. You could probably run a normal captain in marines and do a similar thing. And honestly a staff librarian on a bike isn't terrible either since he can null zone down M&M with your lascannons and have might of the heroes to go punch stuff at S8 with 4 swings.

Mephi also isn't a complete throw away unit either. He is much more fragile than Celestine. 5 wounds without the respawn is a lot different.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

Yeah I saw the survey possibilities and was like "oh yeah, cool." What the gently caress is wrong with people's brains to get angry about that?

I mean I know the answer is "fascism" but still.

Yeah, young angry white gamer incels have been effectively radicalized by the American Right. Steve Bannon used to run a goldfarming company.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

She is still money in my context at 200, but I feel ya. And since you might miss the edit:

Mephi also isn't a complete throw away unit either. He is much more fragile than Celestine. 5 wounds without the respawn is a lot different.

Yeah, Pedro is surprisingly capable in combat. Honour the Chapter is expensive at 3CP, but if something needs killing off it's a good option to have. I kinda wish I had Teeth of Terra on the LT because that relic is a blender, but the 30pt CoCo is too efficient to pass up - effectively I have 8CP + 33% of however many strats my opponent uses, plus I can throw Pedro about without worrying about giving away StW.

I have a bike Librarian kicking around, which might also be a good option. I'm wary of Null Zone because of the high cast, but I see the purpose and for the cost of one assback it might be worth it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

I suppose the problem is once you open the door from Marines to legitimate soup you find yourself watering down your force more and more. Kurov's Aquila along with what I assume is Grand Strategist is a good way to make up for the fact your Crimson Fists don't get the Ultramarine Warlord trait or characters that give extra CPs.

Unfortunately this leads into "do I take Celestine". I mean if we are being competitive the answer is largely yes if you want a fast moving character that can assassinate vulnerable targets.

Basically, Codex Marines as they stand MINUS FORGEWORLD are a mid-tier force. You can take them to the next level by drawing from other books, or from Forgeworld, but if the goal here is to pull primarily from their codex it makes discussion a tad easier. If you are then looking to focus on your chapter of choice then we need to focus on shooting and infantry/dreadnaughts because this is the only way your benefit from your chapter tactics, chapter specific stratagem, and warlord trait.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

*~*’Tis the season*~*

It’s that time of year again. The holiday season is upon us!

Not Christmas, stupid. Crushmas!

Give me your best ragequit stories, the funniest dunks, the biggest plays your pathetic virgin fingers ever put together. Did a guy poo poo himself when you killed his Shadowsword covered in swastikas? Or maybe he chucked a model at a wall after you asked him if he was mad for 30 minutes straight? Perhaps you were the one getting clowned on, sobbing uncontrollably in the middle of the game shop? However you got the tears flowing in your games, I wanna know about it.

As a slight incentive to get the stories running, the funniest two as determined by me get a forums gift certificate for a fresh av, the perfect thing to keep your whitenoise shitposting career on track. Get them in by Saturday or whatever.

Merry Crushmas to all and to all a good night!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

I feel like Techmarines aren't really worthwhile because any competent opponent is going to 1-round an individual thing instead of spreading the wounds around. In the theoretical situation where someone wounds a vehicle but doesn't kill it, and the D3 really counts (e.g. healing something back above a wound threshold) then that would be helpful, but I'm not sure it's worth investing 60pts in. It might be worthwhile if you wanted a relatively cheap HQ to fill out the Patrol that I use to get the Culexus in and retain the CF bonus, if for some reason you didn't want the Guard commander.

I guess the main differences are that Preds are bit more expensive and you trade up 3 wounds each and slightly better firepower for losing out on Chapter tactics, and I happen to think the Fists one is strong and getting stronger. I wouldn't ever expect to use Killshot unless you're going 1st or your opponent is really dumb, and remember that Preds have a bigger footprint than Dreds which impacts auras and how easy it is to bubble wrap them. Thinking on points, you're looking about 40pts more per Pred, 50pts more for rifledread -> Predator, so you're going to have to lose something - most likely the assassin and an infantry squad.

I personally prefer AC/LC to quad las because the Pred autocannon is really great (and if you do happen to get Killshot on is strictly better than two lascannons iirc),

I imagine they would be far more useful if Techmarines did something like add +1 to the saves of nearby vehicles, or reduced the damage of all incoming weapons by one (minimum one).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I suppose the problem is once you open the door from Marines to legitimate soup you find yourself watering down your force more and more. Kurov's Aquila along with what I assume is Grand Strategist is a good way to make up for the fact your Crimson Fists don't get the Ultramarine Warlord trait or characters that give extra CPs.

Unfortunately this leads into "do I take Celestine". I mean if we are being competitive the answer is largely yes if you want a fast moving character that can assassinate vulnerable targets.

Basically, Codex Marines as they stand MINUS FORGEWORLD are a mid-tier force. You can take them to the next level by drawing from other books, or from Forgeworld, but if the goal here is to pull primarily from their codex it makes discussion a tad easier. If you are then looking to focus on your chapter of choice then we need to focus on shooting and infantry/dreadnaughts because this is the only way your benefit from your chapter tactics, chapter specific stratagem, and warlord trait.

Yeah this is why I was heavy on the Dreads and shooting, and I'm inclined to agree with you that assbacks don't benefit from that stuff so it's worth looking at replacing them if you can get better return from other things - Inceptors in particular are tempting since you can keep them off the table T1 and drop them into the Pedro bubble for no loss of firepower. Like one possible options is swapping assbacks for Celestine (in the Patrol's other HQ slot) + another squad of Inceptors, which does lose you some shots, but gains you Celestine and a more manoeuvreable unit which gets the Ignore Cover. And yes, the CoCo has Aquila/Grand Strategist for exactly that reason.

This stuff is why I need to start playing some games because jiggling stuff in and out of lists can go all day, I need to get it on the table to see how it comes together.

This is all ignoring that I'm supposed to primarily be playing Guard.

e: yeah I like this as an alternative actually

Pedro + LT
3x scouts
3x HB inceptors
2x quad las Devs

Celestine
Culexus
2x infantry squads

panascope posted:

*~*’Tis the season*~*

It’s that time of year again. The holiday season is upon us!

Not Christmas, stupid. Crushmas!

Give me your best ragequit stories, the funniest dunks, the biggest plays your pathetic virgin fingers ever put together. Did a guy poo poo himself when you killed his Shadowsword covered in swastikas? Or maybe he chucked a model at a wall after you asked him if he was mad for 30 minutes straight? Perhaps you were the one getting clowned on, sobbing uncontrollably in the middle of the game shop? However you got the tears flowing in your games, I wanna know about it.

As a slight incentive to get the stories running, the funniest two as determined by me get a forums gift certificate for a fresh av, the perfect thing to keep your whitenoise shitposting career on track. Get them in by Saturday or whatever.

pretend I reposted that dude who wanted to drop matched play so he could use Da Jump more and whined every time I asked him to play by the rules, then accused me of cheating because my dice were too good

Living Image fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 6, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I imagine they would be far more useful if Techmarines did something like add +1 to the saves of nearby vehicles, or reduced the damage of all incoming weapons by one (minimum one).

It's one of those abilities which is great as a bonus on an otherwise good HQ, but isn't special enough to justify the Techmarine on its own. Like it's a nice bonus on Cawl, but it's not the primary reason to take him.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Yeah, Pedro is surprisingly capable in combat. Honour the Chapter is expensive at 3CP, but if something needs killing off it's a good option to have. I kinda wish I had Teeth of Terra on the LT because that relic is a blender, but the 30pt CoCo is too efficient to pass up - effectively I have 8CP + 33% of however many strats my opponent uses, plus I can throw Pedro about without worrying about giving away StW.

I have a bike Librarian kicking around, which might also be a good option. I'm wary of Null Zone because of the high cast, but I see the purpose and for the cost of one assback it might be worth it.

You can spend one CP for the sword bro, you have it unlocked.

Yeah the bike libby has been a good add. You save points to reroll to make sure it goes off, and they are at -2 deny because assassin.

haha MOAR INCEPTORS. I do like that a lot more.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

You can spend one CP for the sword bro, you have it unlocked.

Yeah the bike libby has been a good add. You save points to reroll to make sure it goes off, and they are at -2 deny because assassin.

haha MOAR INCEPTORS. I do like that a lot more.

why are inceptors £30 a loving box, why

Although I guess there's probably cheap ones on eBay since I want HBs.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey.

That's a sexy model!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

40k is expensive, especially to start. I would download the free rules and pirate the codexes until you know you're hooked on it, basically everybody does that since they're so expensive. Save your money for models and paints and terrain at first, then buy the codex later.

I'd also pick one faction and stick with it to save money, so only get dark imperium if you wanna play SM or DG CSM AND you have a friend who wants the other one, or you're willing to track down a buyer.

I have to dig them out but somewhere in storage I have a Blood Angels army, a Crimson Fists army, and a crapload of other space mans in various states of assembly, from stuff I bought ages ago. So I definitely know how expensive this hobby is, believe you me. :v:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Uroboros posted:

Chapter Approved kind of sealed any hopes I had of bringing a competitive list to Adepticon. I'm beholden to both the GT and Team Tournament at this point. I saw a certain someone already planned on bringing 3 Raptors to the GT, and I just don't have it in me to shell out 300+ pounds to have a shot at placing.

I'm also team captain, so I've volunteered to paint a 3x2 Display Board for our team diorama, which makes my painting time pretty tight. Since the Team Tournament is actually looking to be pretty restricted there wouldn't be a huge overlap between my GT list and TT list making painting even more tight on time.

At this point I might drop from the GT and take my Primaris guys to a more casual event, and save myself the hassle.
Is it specifically the raptor thingy or is there more about CA that turned you off of Adepticon?

It's been probably four years since I did the TT but it was way more competitive than I was expecting. We had probably half the games be fun and the other half I'd be happy with never seeing those people again.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

panascope posted:

My favorite story was when I first started playing back at the start of 5th edition. The local store had a super hotshot player who was unbeatable. He played Necrons, who had a 3rd edition codex no one knew anything about. He bragged that he had never lost a game in 5th edition, which had been out about a year at this point. WhiteOutMouse agreed to play him one week, and I spectated. I was still really new at the game, but I'm pretty ravenous when it comes to reading rules. I still hadn't really learned anything too much about Necrons, but some of what he was doing didn't pass the smell test. The Necron player also wouldn't allow us to look at his codex, or tell us what his units did until he used their special rules. After I got home I downloaded the book and studied it.

Next week was an RTT, and I won my first game and drew this dude in the second. I think he was taken by surprise when I asked for his phase out number. He had three Monoliths and I think he was planning to hide his army behind them, but he had first turn and and moved one out of formation to try and destroy one of my Demolishers, but he did minimal damage. I opened fire with everything, ignoring everything without the Necron rule, although my Demolisher shot scattered and somehow ended up exploding one of the Monoliths. Even my outflanking Sentinels helped out and knocked down a few dudes. I ended up doing enough damage to phase him out at the bottom of turn one.

He was super embarrassed, called the IG cheesy and asked me to not ever tell anyone that I beat him so he could save his reputation. I didn't.

He ended up getting banned from the store after a dude was giving out free Gorkamorka Trukks to people signing up for a free Gorkamorka campaign. He signed up and then immediately tried to sell the Trukks to someone else. I eventually saw him while wondering around 'Ard Boyz. He was playing against Wrathguard, unsuccessfully tried to argue his way into ignoring the D-Cannon rule with his Monoliths, and got tabled there too. He didn't know I could hear, but he told his opponent that was the first game he ever lost, then dropped from the tournament.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

This is all ignoring that I'm supposed to primarily be playing Guard.

e: yeah I like this as an alternative actually

Pedro + LT
3x scouts
3x HB inceptors
2x quad las Devs

Celestine
Culexus
2x infantry squads

Depending on what you are using the infantry for you could trade the scouts in for some Intercessors. To me scouts are really for zoning out the enemy, so if you aren't planning to use them in such a fashion(and therefor plan on them dying) then for a mere 7 ppm an intercessor is a 100% more durable and deadly.

Can the Lt take a powerfist? The Relic Crimson Fist powerfist is pretty sweet.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty flexible about what other people do in this game but the moment somebody won't explain what his units do or even let me look at his book I'd start packing up my models

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Depending on what you are using the infantry for you could trade the scouts in for some Intercessors. To me scouts are really for zoning out the enemy, so if you aren't planning to use them in such a fashion(and therefor plan on them dying) then for a mere 7 ppm an intercessor is a 100% more durable and deadly.

Can the Lt take a powerfist? The Relic Crimson Fist powerfist is pretty sweet.

Yeah I was planning on the Scouts spreading out and forcing DSing stuff to show up far, far away from the Dreads + Devs. More pertinently they fill the 3 Troop slots for the Battalion.

The Lt can take a fist, and there's enough points to pop it in there. Alternatively I can swap one squad of Scouts + the random upgrades floating around for a 5-man squad of Intercessors to get a slightly weightier Troops unit on the table.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

Yeah I was planning on the Scouts spreading out and forcing DSing stuff to show up far, far away from the Dreads + Devs. More pertinently they fill the 3 Troop slots for the Battalion.

The Lt can take a fist, and there's enough points to pop it in there. Alternatively I can swap one squad of Scouts + the random upgrades floating around for a 5-man squad of Intercessors to get a slightly weightier Troops unit on the table.

The fist is a great suggestion and a very good reason to play...fists.

2 scouts is all you really need but three helps coverage on the angles deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Everytime you post a model pic you always notice touchups, but that doesn't mean anybody would notice on a table. Looks loving amazing dude.

Boon posted:

Hey.

That's a sexy model!

Thanks. :shobon:

I'm really loving the Blightlord kit. It's simple to build with a ton of detail and they're big enough models you can get most of it done quickly and looking good. I'm going to do the Brundelnator next, as I like the idea of having the fly black/blue coloration meld with the typical Death Guard colors.