Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

????

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/938261162856239104

:eyepop:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Every American war since Korea has been a modern crusade, sending our dumb young men to die overseas because we don't know what else to do with them, and justified by extremely vague and often contradictory ideological reasons

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Good thing I have the Jedi and the Nights Watch in my corner when I make my play for the game of thrones

the jedi were incompetent liberals lol

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
America First is a literal exact word slogan from American loving nazis of the 40s.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al-Saqr posted:

So basically the term 'make america great again' is the 'Deus Vult' of american fascism. good to know.

except its more branded and packaged by businessmen, thats the post modern twist~

a Jurrasic Park of Crusades

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

don jr's hearing w house intel committee has been going for 7 hours now

He needs to recover a bit, Nunes promised him 4 blowjobs and a man can only cum so much

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

there's no way trump will take the redcappers onto a crusade against the slavs
he doesn't have to, russian conscripts kill themselves at an astonishing rate

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

eonwe posted:

its too bad he couldn't stop his insane gropelust because i liked franken before that

separate the grope from the man and what do you have? nothing but a pile of hands.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

good

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Admiral Ray posted:

separate the grope from the man and what do you have? nothing but a pile of hands.

what is man

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

But Krusty why now, why not 20 days ago

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Business Gorillas posted:

at this point i'm pretty convinced that they know that they're absolutely hosed and this is a run on the bank while they still can

tbf he ran on that in 2012 as well and most people refused to believe it was his actual platform when accurately described to them because it was cartoonishly evil

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
tax bill is going to pass

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

And the result of the Republicans nominating a sex offender will be the continued purge of Jews and civil rights leaders from the Democratic party.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Question.

How the gently caress did we escape being retards?

I ask myself this question quite a bit, like dont get me wrong, we're all idiots here, but how did we escape the kinds of mental idiocy and loving lovely outlook that typically defines authoritarians or people who support dictators, or trump supporters, etc. and when faced with a question we're able to look at it in a way that a lot of loving morons arent capable of. We all come from different walks of life yet somehow, something right happened where we didnt end up on the stupid people side of things. How did we escape becoming racist? how did we escape being complete fuckheads? what was that magic spice that our parents gave us where we're able to tell loving right from wrong?!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Al! posted:

would the real fbi arrest you for shooting a member of the secret fbi if they broke into your house

Sure which is just another reason they'll use to disband the FBI

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

Forever War isn't really dated

im right in the middle of rereading it, and in certain things, it absolutely is dated. like the pages on pages of the whole "homosex" thing, or the idea that drugs will be rationed out because they are Good, or military squads all boning each other on a military dictated schedule as part of their duties

but its dated only because of its context - where he started and where he ended didn't take into account giant shifts in the landscape. like the idea that by the year 2000 the military would be issuing weed to troops to take the edge off because the benefits were obvious - it says "this will happen because of these reasons", and they're supposed to be interesting or shocking reasons that make people think about things in a different way. he was wrong, but vOv. heinlein just says "in the future it will happen because presumably someone will have a reason" and lets you figure out what the gently caress could drag society from where it is now to what he's talking about, letting you apply new information to it

and i get a lot of people dont like reading him because he has ambiguous or dumb intent and no real causal path that he leads you down, but i find that kinda thing fascinating. yeah the forever war crystallized the experience of vietnam and trying to reacclimate and is a loving astonishingly touching piece of writing that people are finding new ways to relate to. but starship troopers crystallized open questions over how to sustain military might despite the inherent violence and shittiness of that might; how do you justify a thing designed to kill while still maintaining what makes us essentially human? it presents a profoundly unreliable narrator, an obvious military hegemony doing insidious poo poo, human beings treated like disposable materiel, a war whose cause or moral validity is completely irrelevant, and things like ARE TROOPS worship metastasizing but doesn't really comment on any of it other than saying "it exists" and "here are some flimsy reasons for it existing". so starship troopers honestly ends up more relevant to far more scopes of life than the forever war because the unanswered worldbuilding questions let the book maintain a degree of contextual freedom that we can hotglue newer ideas like PMC or the MIC to

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

MysteriousStranger posted:

And the result of the Republicans nominating a sex offender will be the continued purge of Jews and civil rights leaders from the Democratic party.

maybe al shouldn't have groped ppl.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al-Saqr posted:

you didnt, op

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Admiral Ray posted:

What is a man, but a miserable pile of groping.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al-Saqr posted:

Question.

I ask myself this question quite a bit, like dont get me wrong, we're all idiots here, but how did we escape the kinds of mental idiocy and loving lovely outlook that typically defines authoritarians or people who support dictators, or trump supporters, etc. and when faced with a question we're able to look at it in a way that a lot of loving morons arent capable of. We all come from different walks of life yet somehow, something right happened where we didnt end up on the stupid people side of things.

we didn't

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

welp, guess those Jews and civil rights leaders shouldn't have treated women like garbage in skirts

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

in the US maybe

things may be received differently elsewhere on account of this being as much a declaration of war as we've bothered to give in the last 80 years

it's pretty much just an announcement that we're no longer going to even bother to maintain the flimsy fiction that we give a poo poo about what any Arab state thinks

it'll kick off some protests, and the Saudis will probably raise a fuss, but it's unlikely to change anything

east Jerusalem has been occupied for literally half a loving century, and the most that the international community ever bothered to do about this illegal annexation was move their embassies

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

freckle posted:

we didn't

i mean why the gently caress did you think we had?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
silicon valley is furiously working on an app to disrupt crusades for a modern day gig economy

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xaris posted:

tax bill is going to pass

hopefully with all the mistakes in tact.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Naerasa posted:

welp, guess those Jews and civil rights leaders shouldn't have treated women like garbage in skirts

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
men are fairly bad, often

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

cumshitter posted:

i took second city improv classes for free because of family who performed there the summer after i worked at the car wash and nobody got my got light rock fm jokes because nobody listens to light rock fm but its great. its all about DJs getting really jazzed about playing you songs that put you in a mood to type out an email to your boss

I think you got the call letters for the Chicago station wrong. IIRC, Chicago's stations all begin w/ a W.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
At this point, Roy Moore may as well just admit he was into 16 year olds. I mean, it won't matter so why not just come out and say it?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/938527649730826244

yeah rip

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

That DICK! posted:

maybe al shouldn't have groped ppl.

He shouldn't have. But LOL at how this is playing out. The Republicans will sail through this intact and the Democrats will eat their own.

As it should be, as is the natural order of things.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/06/trump-europe-russia-travel-281134

quote:

When a House Intelligence Committee member asked Page last month about his end-of-summer 2016 visit to Budapest, for instance, Page initially said he “did a lot of sightseeing and went to a jazz club. Not much to report.”

Under further questioning, Page admitted to meeting with a Hungarian government official who some congressional investigators suspect is an intelligence officer and cryptically offered that “there may have been one Russian person passing through there.”

quote:

Swalwell said the committee has received information about the travel of “a host of others” besides Trump Jr., Cohen, Page and Papadopoulos. But, he said, “I cannot say now that we fully understand the depth of the travel and the meetings.”

In particular, the House Intelligence Committee is seeking more details on a trip to Paris that Trump Jr. took shortly before Election Day. He lunched at the Hotel Ritz Paris with Randa Kassis, a Syrian peace activist with reported ties to Russian officials, along with her French husband, who reportedly nominated Russian President Vladimir Putin for the Nobel Peace Prize. That night, the younger Trump was paid at least $50,000 to speak at the husband’s foreign policy think tank.

There are so many trips. I can't believe how many suspicious trips there have been during the campaign, which were completely denied and then slowly trickle truthed their way into meetings with russian agents.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

sloppo posted:

my takeaway was something like... "military gonna military. yeah they do some fuckin incredible poo poo, but also theyre totally blind to the big picture or purpose, because when you're wearing the uniform and your boots are on the ground you really can't spare the brain power to think outside the mission. its basically an all consuming addiction."

yeah, i got a really similar vibe when i read in the garden of beasts

like it presents a monstrous thing and says "welp here it is" without coming out and saying BY THE WAY IT IS BAD or BY THE WAY THESE THINGS YOU DID MADE IT BAD

also authorial intent can eat a stream of poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
crusadr

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Al-Saqr posted:

Question.

I ask myself this question quite a bit, like dont get me wrong, we're all idiots here, but how did we escape the kinds of mental idiocy and loving lovely outlook that typically defines authoritarians or people who support dictators, or trump supporters, etc. and when faced with a question we're able to look at it in a way that a lot of loving morons arent capable of. We all come from different walks of life yet somehow, something right happened where we didnt end up on the stupid people side of things. How did we escape becoming racist? how did we escape being complete fuckheads? what was that magic spice that our parents gave us where we're able to tell loving right from wrong?!

literacy and the internet

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

Starship Troopers was two books, one good and one extremely not so good, bridged by necessity of Heinlein needing to pretend this universe was inherently meritocratic despite it being established from the ground up that it's fundamentally not.

If you like Starship Troopers, you should read "Bill the Galactic Hero" by Harry Harrison. Half of the book is an amazing satire of Starship Troopers, especially the "voluntary" military, and the other half makes fun of Asimov.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Mariana Horchata posted:

A+ thred title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

crusadr

:commissar: