Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

why are so many of these loving grifters canadians?

can we deport them after the mattering?

They figured out that there's an insane amount of grift money to be had here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

Isn't power gaming kinda the point of those kinda games though?

i guess thats a pretty philosophical question

for a bunch of nerds with lives that suck outside of a leisure activity, spending the time to min-max it to hell so you can claim victory over other nerds could be considered the point

but a lot of these games have incredibly complex (and inevitably broken) rule sets because in the end you're playing plastic army men battles in your backyard that somebody tried to put rules and lore around so that how things are going to end up. This means there should be a lot of options for play and unpredictability and fun, but a power gamer wants to just win so they don't want any of that they just want to find a way the rules will let them accomplish that goal. this means a lot of very boring armies in the end that are mostly just packed with as many of a broken-in-your-favor unit shoved in as possible. there's a lot of fluffiness build into the game that nobody will pursue (but will quote and bring up a lot)

this meant, at least in previous editions, facing tau armies made up of missle boats/mechs that would just shoot you to death from the other end of the map with a bunch of trash kroot core that didn't really serve any purpose and some scouts to mark you up, or chaos helldrake armies that would just fly around shooting you to death in 40k, or skaven armies packed with hell pit abominations; it ends up feeling like old warcraft with whoever strikes first in the right way wins

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

They figured out that there's an insane amount of grift money to be had here
yeah we are up to our eyeballs in US cultural products and political messages so there's always more of them getting created but they have to pitch themselves to a US audience simply because the pool of potential Canadian viewers/patreon donors is too small for them to ever succeed

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

The real answer to this is that running a grift that isn't absolute desperation requires a lot of runway to establish audience network and credibility. So you need a robust safety net to keep you from starving or dying of pneumonia while you get everything set up.

God is real and he's a loving dipshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

because you dont poo poo or crime where you live.(i mean they do, but they know they can make headway here)

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Look it was before the internet really existed and I was a maladjusted dork who picked up a copy of White Dwarf at quarterstaff games and thought it was totally kickass, all right? Grew out of it, nothing to concern yourself with now. *guiltily pushes 1st edition Blood Bowl boxed set out of view*

i just find the lore and the video games fun. its amusing about how loving terrible W40K universe is, and i like how much poo poo they borrow from history and stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

How is numeneria? i have always wanted to try that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just find the lore and the video games fun. its amusing about how loving terrible W40K universe is, and i like how much poo poo they borrow from history and stuff.

Yeah no I love that poo poo and it was like amazing to discover back in the early 90s when we still had to either drive to Burlington or get it via mail order. Pity the over-the-top elements attract so many dickheads, though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the setting is aces but the tabletop system is dogshit

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what if FATE was worse, had caster supremacy, and made your physical damage stat also your hp

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's every other game Cook has made which is to say it's mechanically garbage and clearly not thought out or tested beyond "This is how X mechanic should work logically...." and it's class system is Fighter, Magictek Wizard, Fighter/Wizard and it's got a lot of the same issues with class design Cook still hasn't gotten over (ie Wizards are always the best and Fighters are dumb dumb idiots who have to rely on equipment treadmills to be able to do anything while the wizad ignores all that.)

The setting is pretty cool though. You could just steal that and run a more mechanically sound game with it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i think he means the computer game

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

i think he means the computer game

Tides of numeneria or however you spell it is good as if you play it in short bursts because otherwise it just gets draining

It's better than pillars of eternity but not as good as planescape torment

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's every other game Cook has made which is to say it's mechanically garbage and clearly not thought out or tested beyond "This is how X mechanic should work logically...." and it's class system is Fighter, Magictek Wizard, Fighter/Wizard and it's got a lot of the same issues with class design Cook still hasn't gotten over (ie Wizards are always the best and Fighters are dumb dumb idiots who have to rely on equipment treadmills to be able to do anything while the wizad ignores all that.)

The setting is pretty cool though. You could just steal that and run a more mechanically sound game with it.

Serf posted:

the setting is aces but the tabletop system is dogshit

hmm. that sucks, my gf wants to get into table top rpgs. she is more fantasy person. she wants to try D&D so maybe i'll pick that up. idk
i only know about numeria because i played the okish rpg on ps4 and dug the setting.

honestly the biggest issues i have with table top stuff is it's a giant loving moneypit like most nerd hobbies.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

[quote="Captain_Maclaine" post="479082568"]
Yeah no I love that poo poo and it was like amazing to discover back in the early 90s when we still had to either drive to Burlington or get it via mail order. Pity the over-the-top elements attract so many dickheads, though.

i tried to get my gf into the lore, she likes the skaven and the fantasy stuff, but doesnt care for warhammer 40k, her ex was giant piece of poo poo was into it apparently, he painted his orcs like MLP characters while emotionally/physically abusing her. plus she tried reading the cain omnibus ihave(i have ton of the books) and thought it was dull as hell after the first book/stories(cant blame here there)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
warmachine and infinity are tons better than warhammer and 40k respectively

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hmm. that sucks, my gf wants to get into table top rpgs. she is more fantasy person. she wants to try D&D so maybe i'll pick that up. idk
i only know about numeria because i played the okish rpg on ps4 and dug the setting.
honestly the biggest issues i have with table top stuff is it's a giant loving moneypit like most nerd hobbies.

don't buy d&d in that case. you don't want to get on the supplement treadmill (even though that's one of the few reliable ways to make money in the industry). maybe look at something like fellowship or dungeon world.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
While painting a space marine pink: friendship is magic u stupid bitch

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hasn't fantasy been turned into warhams 40k fantasy?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
last i heard was that they removed all unit point values from the game and completely threw out the setting

Never Give GW Money

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lancemantis posted:

yes but much dumber.

Crane Fist posted:

While painting a space marine pink: friendship is magic u stupid bitch

he was a giant MRA edgy atheist creeper prick and i honestly hope he has stroke and dies in his own piss because of the poo poo he did to her. he is also a fury and like 40-plus(he lied about his age). i can go into more stories(not the really bad poo poo, her privacy and all)

Serf posted:

don't buy d&d in that case. you don't want to get on the supplement treadmill (even though that's one of the few reliable ways to make money in the industry). maybe look at something like fellowship or dungeon world.

i was thinking maybe the dragon age game(not the vg versions, the board rpg one)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
can we please talk about something less awful and distressing than warhammer, like the ongoing nazi takeover of the US

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Serf posted:

rare footage of serf not recommending shadow of the demon lord

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Serf posted:

seconding dungeon world, which is the only tabletop rpg ive ever attempted to play

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

lancemantis posted:

They even added faux space Marines lmao

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

can we please talk about something less awful and distressing than warhammer, like the ongoing nazi takeover of the US

Nazis are not taking over.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=234

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nazis are not taking over.

they already won

also the yeah no one gives a poo poo about the lovely fiction you read.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

CharlestheHammer posted:

they already won

also the yeah no one gives a poo poo about the lovely fiction you read.

Please cite your sources

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

they already won

:rolleyes:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm as guilty as some in this derail, so yeah I think we've probably spent enough time on warhammer for now, absent some new connection between it and neonazis.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/21logician/status/938531635082989569

fatt horney is: loveless in eastern europe

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Someone get Dr. Gorka on the case!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s the most fitting end I could imagine for Forney, that fat gently caress.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Someone get Dr. Gorka on the case!

https://twitter.com/autisticsperg/status/938537178417606656

dude has a head like an octagon.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
maybe whats really happened is tinder has become good at kicking off catfishing/bots

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

christ, chapo was right. he really does look like the hunchback in 300.

lol. i "love" how hosed up these people perceptions of women are.

https://twitter.com/jamesgray_56/status/938535853109817344

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
a true skullcel

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Yikes. Even by the low standards of these assholes that's a bad look. It's like he's smuggling weasels in his coat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
eastern european women are like white waifus for these men, in that the men think they'll make them sandwiches and be compliant housewives but i think the reality is a bit different haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dr eggman must be very disappointed in his anti-feminist failson