Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tide posted:

The only thing I see Twitter being used for is saying how angry you are are about thing. It's an outrage mechanism, where it seems everything is worthy of being outraged about. It's like the world turned into a collective middle aged woman with the middle management soccer mom haircut and is demanding to speak to everyones manager.

I don't twitter.

it's just like any other social media experience and you can tailor it to whatever you like and remove what you don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Try to deny it all you want, if Twitter was nuked the only thing of value lost would be the nuke.

You should really try chilling out for once in your life, you'll be a lot happier.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's just like any other social media experience and you can tailor it to whatever you like and remove what you don't

This is the best part of twitter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lightbulb Out posted:

You should really try chilling out for once in your life, you'll be a lot happier.

It's called avoiding rage inducing crap like Twitter. Seriously, are you trying to defend that stupid shithole and claiming it has value?

I'll tell you what has value. Go outside. Sit in the sunshine. gently caress social media.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's called avoiding rage inducing crap like Twitter. Seriously, are you trying to defend that stupid shithole and claiming it has value?

I'll tell you what has value. Go outside. Sit in the sunshine. gently caress social media.

so what induces all the rage in your posts? lmao get over yourself

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You should really take your own advice instead of being mad on line all of the time.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the problem with it...

You can't avoid it.

Every single person here is one misstep away - however innocuous or slight that misstep may be - from being blasted onto twitter. And if it gets legs (for whatever reason), their livelyhoods, families, etc can all be irreparably ruined from it.

I daresay alot of us are lucky as gently caress that twitter and facebook and all that weren't around when we were teens or in college.

It's not necessarily twitter or facebook or whatever. It's just the world we live in that people accept whatever they see on twitter or facebook at its face value. We are an information age where most of it is just wrong.

insert gif of man yells at clouds or get off my lawn

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tide posted:

Here's the problem with it...

You can't avoid it.

Every single person here is one misstep away - however innocuous or slight that misstep may be - from being blasted onto twitter. And if it gets legs (for whatever reason), their livelyhoods, families, etc can all be irreparably ruined from it.

I daresay alot of us are lucky as gently caress that twitter and facebook and all that weren't around when we were teens or in college.

It's not necessarily twitter or facebook or whatever. It's just the world we live in that people accept whatever they see on twitter or facebook at its face value. We are an information age where most of it is just wrong.

insert gif of man yells at clouds or get off my lawn

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annnnnyway....... moved out last night, up at the lake house and working remotely so I've put some distance between me and everything going wroing. I'll probably take the laptop and go work from the local coffeehouse / boatshed for a few hours.... right by the lakeside.

I know we don't see things the same way often ( :lol: ), but I do hope this transition goes well for you. Keep riding. You'll be okay.

Tide posted:

So much truth here. And Youtube... oh god, Youtube.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Or that works too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The real important thing we all avoided was having no excuse for not calling your mom to tell you where you're at...

"Sorry mom, there were no pay phones that we could find <sad shrug> so I couldn't tell you we were going to that party you wouldn't have let me go to"
doesn't cut it anymore.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

So much truth here. And Youtube... oh god, Youtube.

I use youtube as an educational tool for my kid. "See kiddo? If someone wants you to take part in the cinnamon challenge, DON'T DO IT, and this is why". Or "Here's why jumping off the roof onto a trampoline is a bad idea".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is nothing worthwhile on Twitter either and if anything it's a more poisionous bath of pure loving stupid than reddit.

The literal only social media that is in any way not a acid pit of loving stupid is Strava and that's only because the point of that is to show off how much exercise you do.

Annnnnyway....... moved out last night, up at the lake house and working remotely so I've put some distance between me and everything going wroing. I'll probably take the laptop and go work from the local coffeehouse / boatshed for a few hours.... right by the lakeside.

Strava is for idiot full kit wanker cyclists chasing koms and generally being a loving nuisance by racing on public roads

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

- post on somethingawful.com, a social media website

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thing I don't like = Garbage

Thing I like = Cool

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Thing that everyone can agree is fun and cool = The Sheep Game!

The more of you who play, the better and more fun the answers are...come play today!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 7, 2017

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sit in the sunshine??? That's a slow and unpleasant form of suicide.

Social media just makes me angry. So does the news really, unless it's things like space or scientific discovery. They are pretty benign. Hell, I'm an angry person. But I control it. The only reason I signed up to Facebook was an attempt to contact people I hadn't seen in years and no longer had their contact information. It's an absolute cesspit.
I'm also not a jealous person, but I guess I do have a bit of a twinge when people I knew are going on holidays, enjoying a relaxing day, being happy etc when I'm on damage control 24/7 trying to put out the metaphorical flames with my hands in a giant rubbish fire.

Well, poo poo. Typing this has put me over my time budget.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Social media just makes me angry. So does the news really, unless it's things like space or scientific discovery. They are pretty benign. Hell, I'm an angry person. But I control it. The only reason I signed up to Facebook was an attempt to contact people I hadn't seen in years and no longer had their contact information. It's an absolute cesspit.
I'm also not a jealous person, but I guess I do have a bit of a twinge when people I knew are going on holidays, enjoying a relaxing day, being happy etc when I'm on damage control 24/7 trying to put out the metaphorical flames with my hands in a giant rubbish fire.

Well, poo poo. Typing this has put me over my time budget.

It's a legit psychological thing that people get depressed when they compare their lives unfavourably to the lives they perceive their friends to be leading via facebook. The fact is that most people try to post only the best sides of themselves on facebook, so they seem to be having amazing lives where everything goes right for them, when in 99% of cases that isn't whats going on at all, and they have as many lovely things going on as you do :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thing I don't like = Garbage

Thing I like = Cool

Things I don't like = bozos
Things I like = Cooler than whatever this bozo likes
:mad:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

General_Failure posted:

Social media just makes me angry. So does the news really,

That's why I don't pay attention to any of it, at all.

You should try it sometime.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

This thread :

https://twitter.com/PolyphonicLemur/status/938188117932097536?s=09

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExplodingSims posted:

This thread :

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
BRB gotta go pull out my goblin and beat him

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Strava is for idiot full kit wanker cyclists chasing koms and generally being a loving nuisance by racing on public roads

And that is why you are a horrible person. Get on a bike and enjoy riding like the millions that use Strava properly and not a handful douchebag cunts.

Lightbulb Out posted:

You should really take your own advice instead of being mad on line all of the time.

I am literally outside on a lounge chair in the sun next to a lake remote working. I'm about to go crack a cold one. Go on, beat that.

That incel rant Ryno posted is seriously goddamn bothering me, so I just epiclally ranted on that other stupid social media

Partial rant about not being a piece fo loving poo poo posted:

Women do NOT owe you anything. It doesnt matter how well you think you have treated someone, how long they have cried on your shoulder, how often you have gone out with them for coffee or whatever, they do NOT owe you anything in return. I see this with the moronic Incel movement of ppathetic idiots thinking they are owed sex. gently caress YOU, NO YOU ARE NOT OWED ANYTHING you goddamn loving idiot. If you think you have been friendzoned .... okay gently caress that there is no such thing as a friendzone, you are either going to respect her wishes or you are not a friend at all. If she doesnt want you for more than a shoulder to lean on..... well get the gently caress over it mate she doesnt owe you a drat thing and you can either stop being a complete idiot and treat her with the respect she deserves and BE HER FRIEND or you can just gently caress off.

Respect her boundaries. See above. Do not cross a line she has set up.

Dont be a goddamn creep. Look, I'm a man, I like a nice set of legs, a short skirt and high heels to look at. When you see a pretty lady yes, you are going look. But FFS, you dont need to be creepy about. Have a glance, get the gently caress on with whatever you are doing. Dont wolf whistle or make a stupid creepy comment. And even if she catches you looking and she gives you a signal that means that she thinks you look okay too. NOT permission to be creepy! Treat her like an adult

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dear God its an fedora wearing incel. Where do you find these loving idiots?

The original poster is a decent dude suffering from a broken heart. The post I copied here is from his lunatic friend.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the gently caress is a incel?

e: you know what? i dont want to know. i feel like in the last year or so that i've not been active here (or anywhere online really), the world has passed me by.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Involuntary Celibate. basically fedora-wearing "fuckin' bitches, man" people.

Alternately (or similarly) the same guys that write "how to pick up bitches at bars" books.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tide posted:

the gently caress is a incel?

e: you know what? i dont want to know. i feel like in the last year or so that i've not been active here (or anywhere online really), the world has passed me by.

You already know exactly who it is, just you don't have the cool hip term connected to them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dagen H posted:

BRB gotta go pull out my goblin and beat him

:jackbud:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
If you're anywhere but Wisconsin, I can't recommend beer cheese soup highly enough. *edit* If you're from here, you probably know.

Dice up about an onion, couple carrots, couple cloves of garlic, bay leaf and a couple stalks of celery, and sautee them in about half a stick of butter... more's fine too. Once they're kinda soft, stir in about a 3rd cup of flour, roux style and keep stirring it around. Bottle of beer (pale ale of some sort, IPA is too hoppy) two cups of milk and two cups (ish) of chicken stock, let it get hot again (don't let it boil) then tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, teaspoon of mustard powder, some salt and pepper. Then melt in about a pound and a half of shredded cheddar.

Good stuff. Should be right on the verge of congealing but not quite.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

mekilljoydammit posted:

If you're anywhere but Wisconsin, I can't recommend beer cheese soup highly enough. *edit* If you're from here, you probably know.

This recipe scares me

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

January thread: We're all pulling out our goblins and beating them

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Twitter is cool

beer cheese soup is also cool

That's my story hth

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tomarse posted:

This recipe scares me

Yeah where's the sprinkle of sodium citrate to help improve the emulsion or whatever the gently caress that does

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Or kick it in a cafe on the water

I havent had a straight out productive day like I am having in a looooooong time. Basically every hour I get a new drink or something to munch on and they are happy to let me have some power.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

Dice up about an onion, couple carrots, couple cloves of garlic, bay leaf and a couple stalks of celery, and sautee them in about half a stick of butter... more's fine too. Once they're kinda soft, stir in about a 3rd cup of flour, roux style and keep stirring it around. Bottle of beer (pale ale of some sort, IPA is too hoppy) two cups of milk and two cups (ish) of chicken stock, let it get hot again (don't let it boil) then tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, teaspoon of mustard powder, some salt and pepper. Then melt in about a pound and a half of shredded cheddar.

Good stuff. Should be right on the verge of congealing but not quite.

I just read this to my wife, and she nodded approvingly. She's from Wisconsin.

We got a fondue pot a while back, it's gotten a bunch of use. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just found out that my absolute favorite band, HUM, is playing a single show in 2018. They only get back together once in a great while and play one night. The music they've created has touched my soul in a way no other music ever has. I failed to see them live so many times, always life getting in the way. They are hinting that this might be the very last time they do this as it's becoming increasingly difficult to coordinate these shows.

One show. St Louis, Feb 24th, 2018.

<sigh>

my wedding day. here's hoping I get one more shot at seeing this band.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I'm going fishing tomorrow. It will be cold wet and raining. Flounder are running!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Walked into work today and it smelled like a a dozen homeless people threw up after eating at the discount sushi train across the street, hit up the closest Mexican restaurant for seconds, and washed it down with the finest $2 buck chuck.

Turns out it was an electrical fire in the buildings main breaker panels from 1948 and there's the chance we might loose power at any minute.

Good thing we have backups. Oh wait... that's next years budget.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where is the power going to run off to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm guessing it's going to vaporize into more of this amazing odor.

• Locked thread