Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Drone posted:

And the impression I get is that the devs are pretty keen on ensuring the game has a healthy multiplayer community (and therefore an at least somewhat dynamic meta in the form of a regular patch cycle).

the only thing i can think to say in response to this is :thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Turin Turambar posted:

--simpgui for a simple GUI
I added this to my steam launch options, but haven't noticed a difference:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gonadic io posted:

I added this to my steam launch options, but haven't noticed a difference:

Normal

With simple GUI

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Ah, ok. I looked at his github and didn't see any movement.

Hi! I checked in a few times on IRC afterwards, but the combo of new job, new girl, and art stuff kept me insanely busy. And there was a mixup where my sub lost my password so I ended up idling while I was gone and lost all motivation.

I've started a thread about the BM art if any of you are interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840035

Could you remove Back to Basics from brain wrinkle? I won it ages ago but it is still on there. staring at me.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This but mapgoods LA

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm half disappointed that there's no --cli switch.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

Oh, huh - I didn't realize they added actual units and traits and poo poo in the patches.
During Dom 4 we got:

- Half a dozen or so totally new nations
- Innate casting
- Yuge changes to everything Zoroastrian + Agarthan
- Event modding
- Land recruitment for underwater nations (at least through modding even if they didn't do it in vanilla)
- Bunch of unit commands
- GUI upgrades like Communion master/slave icons + info
- Stat fixes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

During Dom 4 we got:

- Half a dozen or so totally new nations
- Innate casting
- Yuge changes to everything Zoroastrian + Agarthan
- Event modding
- Land recruitment for underwater nations (at least through modding even if they didn't do it in vanilla)
- Bunch of unit commands
- GUI upgrades like Communion master/slave icons + info
- Stat fixes.

-Rework of some UW nations (like EA Ryleh and their androdai/mind vessel spell, and Oceania special turmoil/coast interaction) and UW mechanics (rust!).
-Like... 15 new Pretenders? There was a 'pretender patch'.
-stat fixes!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Dumb questions. I haven't played since Dom3, and I wasn't very good then. In this game...

...is downloading the map not needed for Dom5? And is it not up yet?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ramc posted:

Could you remove Back to Basics from brain wrinkle? I won it ages ago but it is still on there. staring at me.

Done.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dumb questions. I haven't played since Dom3, and I wasn't very good then. In this game...

Maps and mods auto download since an incremental update in 4, which also contained some unit changes.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Squiggle posted:

Oh, huh - I didn't realize they added actual units and traits and poo poo in the patches.

im impressed they actually specified what the new unit they were adding to man's PD was instead of just saying there was a new unit

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

Server's up, get your pretenders in.
Will upload a map soon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

-I always forget to check in what provinces I'm going to fight. Somehow in key battles with my combat Pretender is always in swamps, that means extra +2 encumbrance, just enough to slightly reach 100 fatigue as I melee troops, and falling sleep eventually.

-I was winning a few slaves with a site, so I decide to break into Blood playing as Uruk. First B1, after 30 slaves more for B2, I craft a blood rod, I start blood hunting... and two turns later I got the special event of the populace sending an assassin against the blood hunter, and the succeeds. 85 slaves accumulated slowly to the drain. :(

#DominionsThings for today.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

uguu posted:

Server's up, get your pretenders in.
Will upload a map soon.

So we just connect, select the nation, and pick our pretender?

boho fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 6, 2017

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

boho posted:

So I we just connect, select the nation, and pick our pretender?

Jep.
Don't forget to set a password!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

uguu posted:

Jep.
Don't forget to set a password!
I did during pretender creation, though I'm kind of confused about the password on the game page -- when's that come into play?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

boho posted:

I did during pretender creation, though I'm kind of confused about the password on the game page -- when's that come into play?

Set it to the same password you used for the pretender. It's so if you disappear for whatever reason without notifying anyone someone can still access your nation and handle it by either finding a sub or setting you to AI.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm going to go ahead and recommend to the newbies to choose a really simple password, like "d4"

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i think i needs to be at least three or four characters long to work and maybe there was a problem with numbers? i remember jsoh complaining about it

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

"deeefour" then. Also, don't use numbers, I recall trying to make an actual strong password for my first game and it broke the password entry.

Just pick some semi-strong poo poo you can remember, usually the worst that happens if you leave it unpassworded/easily guessable is that somebody renames all of your commanders to rude names (ruder than what you'd pick, at least).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah if you set your password on brainwrinkle to a number it shows as nothing. but my password is always the same and like 10 people know it so if i get hit by a bus someone can get in to my nation

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i think my brainwrinkle pass was like 1234 or some poo poo and i never bothered passwording my actual in game nations

this way i can always yell it wasn't my poo poo tactics that got me beaten but people metagaming my poo poo

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have any large-ish maps for download? I'm looking for something of around 200 provinces, if that's possible.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What is the solution to Uruk's giant chariots? Holy crap, what a massacre!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Do you have any spells that will hold up the units (like tangle vines)? Break their ranks so that the chariots arrive in a staggered formation and your chaff should* be able to focus on the few who arrive first and kill them.

Many chariots have a trample attack iirc so just keeping that from being able to do that all at once to your frontline is a big deal.

*this advice given with the caveat that no plan survives contact with the enemies spellcasters

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Bramble posted:

What is the solution to Uruk's giant chariots? Holy crap, what a massacre!

Well, they are "200 gold / 42 res / 60 rec / cap only / max 1 per month" units, so they have to be good!
They have combat speed 16, so they are fine tramplers, but not as good tramplers as one could think at first, they are heavy. Elite units with good morale (against fear) and defense (against trampling) will hold up and the counter attack in their turn. And they have average MR and morale, so panic / frighten / terror spells work against them.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 6, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah Uruk's tramplers are good for clearing indies and I guess you could buff them and they'd be OK against frontline chaff, but overall you should be able to smack them down with some low level spells.

Their natural defense to surround is nice (they don't get as bad or maybe any penalties for being surrounded) which makes them slightly more hardy than other tramplers.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I had no idea this was a thing. I don't know if I'll ever play this mess but I'm going to keep my eye on it because it's still entertaining.

Kitfox88 posted:

being a spiteful gently caress when you realize you aren't going to take it all is a core component of normal dom gameplay

I can attest to this, one of my fonder Dominions 4 memories was a game where I was horribly crippled early and used every possible resource available to me to spite those who attacked me. Newbies please do this instead of going AI, it's more fun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I attempted to do this with a failed Mictlan Dew promotional contest. It at least got some laughs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, there is so much poo poo in the high level spell lists. And I don't say that in the sense of 'good poo poo!', no.

I finished my MA Uruk game (SP), and in the last turns, I casted Call Abomination (Conj 9) to see if it was any good... nope. In fact hilariously they died in their first test fight against Gath doing just half a dozen casualties.
Somehow the spells in Research 7-8 are better than the ones in level 9, even if you need a ton of extra research points to reach the ninth level.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/0/1500126447384353349/

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, there is so much poo poo in the high level spell lists. And I don't say that in the sense of 'good poo poo!', no.

This kind of defines the series though, no? At least 75% of the units/artifacts/spells are functionally worthless for one reason or another.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

boho posted:

This kind of defines the series though, no? At least 75% of the units/artifacts/spells are functionally worthless for one reason or another.

Illwinter is well-known for taking the approach of "If we give you zillions of options, at least a few will be worth it!"

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
AKA the Nethack method

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have any large-ish maps for download? I'm looking for something of around 200 provinces, if that's possible.
There are a bunch of maps here, including some Dominions 4 classics.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did they make Yomi good yet?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
no, they made yomi much worse

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

violent sex idiot posted:

motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

violent sex idiot posted:

how