Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

You should know the only studios who haven't signed on yet are Paramount and Lion's Gate, so it won't sync those movies. But other than that, it works really well.

The movies I had on VUDU look better on iTunes. The VUDU player always bugged me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

The movies I had on VUDU look better on iTunes. The VUDU player always bugged me.

Agreed, that was my main benefit for me as well. When I got rid of my DVDs, I used the digital codes to input into Vudu where I could. Now those are also in iTunes where I do all of my movie buying now, so it synced them where I actually want them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

The Phantom Menace is such an underrated film. Watching it today in my leadup to The Last Jedi, and I just keep finding more to enjoy. The set and costume design are top notch, the music and sound design are fantastic

The costumes are occasionally on exhibit. I got to see quite a few of them when they came to the Cincinnati Children's Museum.

It was an incredibly surreal experience. As much special effects as the films had, the costumes were quite real, and often extremely elaborate, Padme's wardrobe especially.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He also suggests making a Jar Jar movie in black and white in the style of The Wrestler.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

josh04 posted:

What do you find lacking in the existing original cuts you can get online?

The ability to watch them on my couch without issues? I just want to push play and there they are in HD. And enjoy them without scoffing at the lousy effects added for idiots.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The ability to watch them on my couch without issues? I just want to push play and there they are in HD. And enjoy them without scoffing at the lousy effects added for idiots.

Which lousy effects? The new lousy effects or the lousy effects that were already there?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It’s incredibly easy to get a video file to play on a TV.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I hope The Last Jedi is good, because Rian Johnson owns.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Kathleen Kennedy wants Taika Waititi to direct a Star Wars movie

If this actually happens it would be just phenomenal.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Schwarzwald posted:

The costumes are occasionally on exhibit. I got to see quite a few of them when they came to the Cincinnati Children's Museum.

It was an incredibly surreal experience. As much special effects as the films had, the costumes were quite real, and often extremely elaborate, Padme's wardrobe especially.

Watch the making of the Phantom Menace. They spent about 5 years designing the costumes, sets, landscapes, etc. Too bad Lucas went full indolent on us by discarding much of this prep in favor of CGI stormtroopers in the subsequent prequels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find it significant that the clones of Temuera Morrison don't get to have real clothes, only CGI clothes. They even used CGI helmets in front of his real face when they were piloting spaceships. Wasn't it the case that ILM was specifically directed not to build a physical set of clone trooper armor?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

How on earth is this not going to go down exactly like the Lord and Miller situation went down?

viral spiral posted:

What is wrong with wanting a physical home media release of the classic cuts? Collecting physical formats is still very popular. If they ever do it, they should have the original movie poster artwork on the cover instead of those ghastly SE posters.

I'm fine with pretty much everything in this thread from prequel bashing to prequel loving, but I will draw my line in the sand and fight anyone in this thread that bashes Drew Struzan.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pops Mgee posted:

How on earth is this not going to go down exactly like the Lord and Miller situation went down?

I'm fine with pretty much everything in this thread from prequel bashing to prequel loving, but I will draw my line in the sand and fight anyone in this thread that bashes Drew Struzan.

Because he’s worked in the Marvel model already and has shown he can be creative, but within bounds and knows how to work with executives.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

UmOk posted:

Which lousy effects? The new lousy effects or the lousy effects that were already there?

Everything that was added after 1997 is lousy. Every singe little thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Pops Mgee posted:

Taika successfully made a movie with disney/marvel already?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Jerkface posted:

Taika successfully made a movie with disney/marvel already?

Thor 3 was a straight up comedy. Lord and Miller got fired for allegedly making a comedy. Marvel might have looser reigns these days compared to Lucasfilm who knows? I’m not against it happening at all, I just wouldn’t be surprised if poo poo went down again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

No. It'll go down just like the Han Solo film did.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gary Fisher is in The Last jedi.
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/938314810290302977

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Everything that was added after 1997 is lousy. Every singe little thing.

So you're saying the old lousy are effects are ok. Weird

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Who was the "cartoon character" in the last SW movie?

I'm not sure if they are talking about R1 or TFA, kinda assuming R1 and the character is from rebels maybe?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

504 posted:

Who was the "cartoon character" in the last SW movie?

I'm not sure if they are talking about R1 or TFA, kinda assuming R1 and the character is from rebels maybe?

Saw in Rogue One was first introduced in Clone Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7cQVx7nvI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

UmOk posted:

So you're saying the old lousy are effects are ok. Weird

Im saying we need to digitally fix your posts, so they won't be lousy any more.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Saw in Rogue One was first introduced in Clone Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7cQVx7nvI

That's the one, thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hahaha, yes! Yes!!!

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Pops Mgee posted:

Thor 3 was a straight up comedy. Lord and Miller got fired for allegedly making a comedy. Marvel might have looser reigns these days compared to Lucasfilm who knows? I’m not against it happening at all, I just wouldn’t be surprised if poo poo went down again.

The difference here is that Marvel wanted Thor 3 to be a more fun movie than its predecessors because the other two are generally considered to be fairly boring. They got exactly the kind of movie they wanted, it's proven to be super successful, everyone is happy.

The Han Solo movie on the other hand, based on reports about what went down, was turning into a Robot Chicken-esque sketch comedy and that was not what anyone at Lucasfilm had wanted. They wanted a Star Wars story that, due to the characters involved, was a bit funnier than what Star Wars movies to date have been, but still serious enough to be considered an actual canonical part of the franchise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It might just be that Lucasfilm cares a bit too much about the 'integrity' of their fictional universe, whereas Marvel just goes with whatever works.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I do think there is clearly a more of a star wars style that they dont want to completely deviate from. Unlike Marvel they have 6 films of Lucas Star Wars that they can look at to establish tone. I think that is why they had the Rogue One reshoots. They are a little gunshy of deviating too far from what Star Wars has been. I think that can and should change as time goes on.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Han Solo movie was becoming a full on seth rogan dick joke type poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I believe the way the rumors put it was that it was becoming Ace Ventura.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

That's the way it was reported in the very heavily slanted, obviously planted hit piece that ran in the Hollywood Reporter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

That's the way it was reported in the very heavily slanted, obviously planted hit piece that ran in the Hollywood Reporter.

For that to stand out as one of the sleaziest things all year is impressive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the han solo stuff really feels like lucasfilm swallowing their own hype about star war's importance such that a goofy dude like han solo has to be lionized way more than the original trilogy treats him

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

For that to stand out as one of the sleaziest things all year is impressive.

Between that and the hit piece that ran on Colin Trevorrow when he was sacked from Star Wars, the message and implication being sent from the studio is very, very clear: You do not gently caress with Kathleen Kennedy.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

tbh that was probably the only way they'd get me interested in a Han Solo movie

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, Lord and Miller have a pitch perfect measure for comedy, going all the way back to Clone High. There were jokes, tons of jokes, but the emotional core of everything they've done has been invulnerable. Which just makes the jokes funnier.

Hearing people talk about them like it's all monkey cheese is kind of sad. They would have made a loving brilliant Han Solo movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Penpal posted:

Yeah, Lord and Miller have a pitch perfect measure for comedy, going all the way back to Clone High. There were jokes, tons of jokes, but the emotional core of everything they've done has been invulnerable. Which just makes the jokes funnier.

Hearing people talk about them like it's all monkey cheese is kind of sad. They would have made a loving brilliant Han Solo movie.

They were also heavily involved in the first two (brilliant) seasons of How I Met Your Mother, the first of which ends on an absolutely soul-crushing note.

Serf
May 5, 2011

tbh even if lord and miller were turning the han solo movie in a remake of ace ventura it would probably rule

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Serf posted:

tbh even if lord and miller were turning the han solo movie in a remake of ace ventura it would probably rule

True, true. It would have been The Best Star War. Now I think we might actually get the most watered down Star War. Nothing about Solo has piqued my interest after the firing.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I decided to watch the Ewok movies and I accidentally started with the second one. Just wanted to say that Rey's journey to get off Jakku is a retelling of Wilford Brimley's story more than it is Luke's.

Wilford, you ARE the fathier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Han Solo isnt a funny character. So who cares how good they were at making sitcoms