Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

So the dude behind the keylogging campaign they researched ended up keylogging himself and they found screenshots of him browsing his facebook etc in his c&c email account. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Vanadium posted:

So the dude behind the keylogging campaign they researched ended up keylogging himself and they found screenshots of him browsing his facebook etc in his c&c email account. :effort:
that's pretty common

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
in another installment of mongodb is hard, ai.type leaks about 580gb of data accumulated from what their 31m customers were typing on their phones.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Nice!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
why the gently caress would anyone install that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you mean a not-the-default keyboard app?

cause swype is very good

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

it's weird how people trust something called "mongo"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BattleMaster posted:

does it at least keep 3 copies of your data

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

does it at least keep 3 copies of your data

maybe, depends on which version and how you set it up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

most javascript dev places (like my work) follow the philosophy of "the dumber the name the better it must be"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

cause swype is very good
can confirm, swype is good. it's not as great on ios as it is on android, but it's still good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

34c3 talks, help me figure out which ones are worth prioritising https://halfnarp.events.ccc.de
followup: https://events.ccc.de/2017/12/06/real-soon-now-fahrplan-release/

quote:

The 34C3 Congress schedule (Fahrplan) needs proper planning and is an incredibly complex task. And it’s all about you: Offering over 500 submissions, sharing your knowledge and important political and technical insights for free. We’re using sophisticated tools, and a lot of manual work to end up with a well-planned schedule. You helped not just with providing your preferences on talks you want to see, but also by practical tool improvement: Our conference planning system frab just saw a donation of a 5000+ lines patch with a French translation.

Sharing your preferences in the halfnarp helped a lot to model a Fahrplan that reduces all kinds of conflicts as much as possible. You examined more than 160 confirmed lectures in six content tracks – all in all 130 hours of program. And over 4,000 votes were clicked via halfnarp this year. So, thank you very much!

To give you a little insight into what it means to create a good schedule, we would like to share some of the constraints and parameters that needed to be taken into consideration: Half- and one-hour-slots don’t easily add up to an even batch of lectures; we need at least fifteen minutes breaks between lectures. Some speakers have kids and can’t present in the night or are not available on all days. Others just don’t function properly in the hours before noon or late in the evening, due to personal time zones, jet lag or partying.

There are also some speakers that don’t feel comfortable in huge halls, even though they are in high demand. Some presenters are prone to overrun their time, some events need stage setup times. For our foreign audience we want to have not only German language lectures running in parallel. For catering to all content interests, we needed to spread out all our six content tracks as evenly as possible. And so on…

Icing on the cake: Some speakers with security background exploited a bug in frab to quietly upgrade their lecture to 1h15min after acceptance (but we got you!).

Inspecting some of the correlations revealed by your halfnarp-votes left us speechless, others happy: You seem to understand that bitcoin is bad for the environment, „Cryptocurrencies“ correlates highly with „Climate change! What do we know?“ after all. We’re a little concerned what the high correlation between „Influencing decisions with AI“ and „Hacking real estate markets“ means for the future – and would like to remind you of the hacker ethics.

Some of the new features that were useful for planning will flow back into the halfnarp calendar view: You will be able to use correlations to find related talks to the one you liked.

So, once the Fahrplan is released real soon now: Before complaining always remember that it has been your decisions, and everything else is the AI’s fault!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

over the past 6 months, i’ve gotten 5 or 6 calls from numbers that have the same area code and middle 3 digits as my number, but with the final 4 digits differing for each one.

like every call from an unknown number i’ve completely ignored them, but after getting 2 this week i just wanna know if this is a known spam tactic or something else?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It's a spam thing and it sucks.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It got really bad this year.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
it's been happening to me also, nomorobo is obviously useless

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
google happily lets me know the call is spam, but lets it go through anyway :thumbsup:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

skull mask mcgee posted:

over the past 6 months, i’ve gotten 5 or 6 calls from numbers that have the same area code and middle 3 digits as my number, but with the final 4 digits differing for each one.

like every call from an unknown number i’ve completely ignored them, but after getting 2 this week i just wanna know if this is a known spam tactic or something else?

yeah i've been getting them too - always from the same NPA/NXX so it's super easy to tell its a garbage call and just bin it

i'm actually a lot happier that they do it that way by NPA/NXX so you can immediately tell not to bother answering tho

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bhodi posted:

google happily lets me know the call is spam, but lets it go through anyway :thumbsup:

Yeah, T-Mobile is doing the same for me. It displays "Likely Scam" for the caller ID.

EDIT:

Sniep posted:

yeah i've been getting them too - always from the same NPA/NXX so it's super easy to tell its a garbage call and just bin it

i'm actually a lot happier that they do it that way by NPA/NXX so you can immediately tell not to bother answering tho

This too. Everyone I know with the same NAP/NXX is already in my contacts. And if it's legit, they'll leave a voicemail.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

https://matt.sh/anatomy-of-a-fraud

quote:

. "You need database? Use database! Don't worry about our criminal negligence or inability to do anything we promise. You can always buy consulting and support to make up for broken features, sorry (not sorry) for the data loss though."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

cause swype is very good

idk, I don't find anything wrong with the default iOS keyboard

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chris Knight posted:

which one?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

🎉🌡🏺🖤💯

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

BattleMaster posted:

there's actually a distributed butt database called cockroachdb and they have no problem with this name and expect businesses to take them 100% seriously

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chris Knight posted:

once you go swype, you never go backype

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
lizard fs

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

there's actually a distributed butt database called cockroachdb and they have no problem with this name and expect businesses to take them 100% seriously

In a former life somebody suggested to management that we move our newsletters to MailChimp instead of continuing to use the bad thing we were using before. This was before MailChimp was widely-recognized, and later this was used as evidence by management that the person who suggested it didn't know what he was doing because management found the name to be too ridiculous.

There's a lot of "lol" to be had on all sides.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

anthonypants posted:

can confirm, swype is good. it's not as great on ios as it is on android, but it's still good

is swype still better in some way(s) than gboard/swiftkey? swype was clearly the best back in ye olde android 2.2 days, but i haven't used it for years and gboard is not-terrible enough that i haven't wanted to go to the effort at installing something else

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i never used swiftkey and idk what gboard is so

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

anthonypants posted:

i never used swiftkey and idk what gboard is so

Gboard is Android Keyboard for iOS and it works better than it does on Android.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is swype still better in some way(s) than gboard/swiftkey? swype was clearly the best back in ye olde android 2.2 days, but i haven't used it for years and gboard is not-terrible enough that i haven't wanted to go to the effort at installing something else

swype is definitely better if all you ever want to do is swipe-based typing

since i don't want that, i use swiftkey instead because the text prediction is better

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lol if you answer your phone if the number isn't in your contacts

they'll leave a message if it matters at all

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Munkeymon posted:

lol if you answer your phone if the number isn't in your contacts

they'll leave a message if it matters at all

This is the only way to use your phone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

This is the only way to use your phone now.
some people give out their telephone number while they look for work

• Locked thread