Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

the ngage should make a comeback with dedicated dpad and thumbsticks and buttons in a slide out phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
THere have been a couple Chinese android game tablet companies that have made "phones" with game controls. They're all a little on the long side, and specs weren't that great. Haven't seen any recently.

Edit: It seems JXD is still selling theirs:
http://www.jxd.hk/game-console/s5800/

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 6, 2017

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
PC nerds are the worst

"Consoles suck because the graphics are nowhere near as good as the PC"

I don't want to spend 5k on a toy

"Actually you can get an easily superior gaming machine for under $1000"

*sits down at 10k computer chases lil pokemon*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's almost impossible to spend more than like $2000 on even a ultra-high end gaming PC unless you really try to come up with stupid rear end specs, and unlike a console a PC is actually a multipurpose tool, it's your problem if you only use it for video games like a child.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Since you were probably going to buy a PC anyway, the cost of a gaming PC is the difference in price between the faster CPU and GPU in the gaming PC and what you would have bought otherwise. If you spec it comparably to a console you're saving money. Or you could get a lot more performance for the same money, whichever.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I spent $1200 on a computer and it plays xbox one games and xbox one scorpio games and can play games in 4k so that's basically like 3 generations of consoles right there, also over the lifetime of each of those consoles I didn't have to spend money for multiplayer so each console life cycle I saved $240 for a grand total of $720 for the honor of hosting a p2p game on my own console and being charged for it.

And I haven't even gotten into steam sales yet.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Anyways, console games have ruined FPS games because now they have loadouts in multiplayer instead of running around the map picking up weapons, again the lack of buttons on a controller is killing gameplay so now FPS games only let you have 2 weapons at a time.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
PC gamers are smelly virgins who make love to their GPUs every night.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Hey thread I bought this new age f-zero/whipeout thing callled "Redout" during the last sale and I've been sort of binging on it lately. It's really good. Has a good user review score so I'm not sure this is an unpopular opinion but I wanted to share it anyway.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/517710/Redout_Enhanced_Edition/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Buy what you want play what you want nothing matters no one cares we all die in the end anyway

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

Buy what you want play what you want nothing matters no one cares we all die in the end anyway

not if you have a 1-up :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

hell yeah

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

Well, I do have nicknames for every GPU I've owned..

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
lol if you think a console is anything more than a glorified gaming laptop without a screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ii8mU3x7E

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My ps4 cost me $250 and can play all the newest games so I think I made a sound business decision compared to buying an alienware laptop when I already own a laptop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Woah, there's computery stuff inside consoles?! Who knew? I thought they ran on magic this whole time.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Laptops are poo poo. I mean, I have one. We use it to play movies and stuff on the living room TV. It's from 2015, but the specs are 2013ish? it's i3 asus trash and I've had to replace the hard drive already.

i mean it was a $250 asus thingy but when i try to use it for things even like posting on facebook and simple things like using Writer or w/e, it chugs and struggles to do things my 2012 PC handles with grace.

the pc is a frankenstein, it's due for a new cpu and motherboard and all that, as they're the oldest parts, everything else is pretty up to date, and i spend maybe $2-300 on it periodically, less than once per 2-3 years barring hardware failure, and it stays up to date.

Games are way cheaper, and the genre of game I like to play either runs like poo poo on consoles, or doesn't work at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

My ps4 cost me $250 and can play all the newest games so I think I made a sound business decision compared to buying an alienware laptop when I already own a laptop.

Too bad console games cost approx $1000 a pop, compared to $9 on Steam.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PC gamers seem to think consoles didn't catch on to steam sales like 5 years ago

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Too bad console games cost approx $1000 a pop, compared to $9 on Steam.

Unfortunately Steam has no quality control so it's a million RPGmaker games and 2d "retro" sidescrollers.

Thankfully I get everything for cheap from PS+ sales and get a poo poo load of free games through PSGold; I got Zombii, MGSV, Abzu, Until Dawn, and a bunch of other games for free this year.

Yep, feels good to be a console gamer.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

veni veni veni posted:

PC gamers seem to think consoles didn't catch on to steam sales like 5 years ago

They are nowhere even close to the same sort of value.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Overall, console game prices are still a lot worse, tending to bottom out at $20 for AAA titles instead of $5 or less (you can get plenty of shovelware on consoles that breaks this rule, but it's shovelware). Humble Bundle fire sales are also just about unheard of on consoles.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

a bone to pick posted:

Unfortunately Steam has no quality control so it's a million RPGmaker games and 2d "retro" sidescrollers.

Thankfully I get everything for cheap from PS+ sales and get a poo poo load of free games through PSGold; I got Zombii, MGSV, Abzu, Until Dawn, and a bunch of other games for free this year.

You didn't get them for free, you paid for them with your membership fee you pay to be able to play games online.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

new phone who dis posted:

You didn't get them for free, you paid for them with your membership fee you pay to be able to play games online.

I paid $60 for like 18 games? That's amazing.

Consoles sure know how to pack in the value.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

Overall, console game prices are still a lot worse, tending to bottom out at $20 for AAA titles instead of $5 or less (you can get plenty of shovelware on consoles that breaks this rule, but it's shovelware). Humble Bundle fire sales are also just about unheard of on consoles.

Yeah nothing really as good as humble bundles for sure, but AAA games hit the $5-10 mark fairly often. Usually when they are old though. The real screaming deals you can find for console games are physical copies.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
tbh steam loving sucks and GOG gives me free games and poo poo so I'm totally on the GOG train now.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

a bone to pick posted:

I paid $60 for like 18 games? That's amazing.

Consoles sure know how to pack in the value.

They have to throw in something when you're essentially getting billed twice for the internet.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a bone to pick posted:

tbh steam loving sucks and GOG gives me free games and poo poo so I'm totally on the GOG train now.

steam really has gone so south lately and GOG has been better and better

even gog galaxy is a decent client now

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh as much as I like a good deal I don't care that much about sales. if I really want to play something it's a day one buy which isn't going to be on sale regardless of platform. If a game isn't worth more than $5 to me it's probably not worth my time either.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

They have to throw in something when you're essentially getting billed twice for the internet.

well I also get the piece of mind that I can play an online multiplayer game without a hacker / modder ruining every match.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

a bone to pick posted:

well I also get the piece of mind that I can play an online multiplayer game without a hacker / modder ruining every match.

I haven't seen a hacker or a modder in a PC game multiplayer match for like 10 fuckin years or more. Additionally, people with PCs can and do hack PS4 and Xbox games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

I have saved myself probably $200 in the last two years sending bad games back to Steam though.

Yes there is a lot of rubbish on Steam (there's a lot of rubbish everywhere), and at this point the Steam UI is a complete embarrassment, but I haven't seen anything better.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol does xbox still charge money for the privilege of playing online. I remember when I went to cancel my live subscription they literally made me call in and verbally confirm I had to cancel something instead of just pressing a button like every other subscription service

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh as much as I like a good deal I don't care that much about sales. if I really want to play something it's a day one buy which isn't going to be on sale regardless of platform. If a game isn't worth more than $5 to me it's probably not worth my time either.

i don't time my purchases to sales, there are games i'm gonna want right away (Cyberpunk if it ever loving comes out), but most games are on an ehh basis, but getting stuff for insanely cheap is cool.

Also, loving FREE if you're not some gooberhead who is actually moral about piracy like me,

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Playstation does too, now

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Away all Goats posted:

lol does xbox still charge money for the privilege of playing online. I remember when I went to cancel my live subscription they literally made me call in and verbally confirm I had to cancel something instead of just pressing a button like every other subscription service

I justify this by saying that I'm paying a yearly charge of $60 to play in a cheat-free environment. This would be ridiculous if not for the reality that apparently many game developers just can't loving be bothered to implement even the most basic cheat protections, so I guess it needs to be subsidized.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I got a PUBG skirt back when and sold it for like 350 dollars and basically got every fall AAA game plus a bunch on my backlist for free.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

basic hitler posted:

Laptops are poo poo. I mean, I have one. We use it to play movies and stuff on the living room TV. It's from 2015, but the specs are 2013ish? it's i3 asus trash and I've had to replace the hard drive already.

i mean it was a $250 asus thingy but when i try to use it for things even like posting on facebook and simple things like using Writer or w/e, it chugs and struggles to do things my 2012 PC handles with grace.

the pc is a frankenstein, it's due for a new cpu and motherboard and all that, as they're the oldest parts, everything else is pretty up to date, and i spend maybe $2-300 on it periodically, less than once per 2-3 years barring hardware failure, and it stays up to date.

Games are way cheaper, and the genre of game I like to play either runs like poo poo on consoles, or doesn't work at all.

have you tried using compressed air you dirty heathen?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

a bone to pick posted:

lol if you think you'll ever get doom as cheap as like $12 on anything other than steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
lol at console players feeling like they got a good value for xbox live or ps plus or whatever for online multiplayer when its their own console hosting the server