Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Been watching the start of a Attila LP and i have 2 questions:

Is the strategic map smaller than Rome 2?
Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dongattack posted:

Been watching the start of a Attila LP and i have 2 questions:

Is the strategic map smaller than Rome 2?
Is it any good?

Strategic map is the same size I believe.
My opinion: I looooved the feel of it, despite the turn lag, despite the unit variety (which isn't as bad with the DLCs compared to release). It's not about how big you get, but what you're able to keep until the end date. I'm just waiting on a better computer to go at it again, my laptop runs warhammer fine, but not this one.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Where are those DLC impressions, my goons, I see it's on top 3 for global sales on Steam, don't tell me none of those are you.

I started as the Alani, seems like a slight upgrade on Rome 2, politics, character skills and such have had a nice overhaul. Somewhat shocking coming back to the battles after improved Attila and warhammer games - dudes kill each other with friendly fire often and the skirmish movement is pretty awkward/inconsistent.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Attila is not fun if your main draw to TW is building an empire and fool around. Literally everything is designed to gently caress you over and make you miserable.
No more juicy 4 region provinces, poo poo is super cramped/slot starved and every building has huge drawbacks. Also no more global bread baskets, every province needs to be balanced foodwise.
The soundtrack is either some guy with throat cancer playing a banjo, or funeral music.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Attila is pretty cool for what it is and I like that it takes a very different approach from the rest of the series. It can be pretty drat exhausting though and you might want to pick up a few tweak mods once the whole late antiquity apocalypse simulator vibe has lost some of its appeal.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm having a great time with Empire Divided actually, which is weird to say about Rome 2. It's definitely that game at its best, although it retains a bunch of stuff that's not great like bloated unit lists and the UI stuff (even though that's got a bit of a boost from the update). The actual campaign setup is cool. I started as Aurelian, the proper Rome faction, and it's very enjoyably frantic for a long time as you attempt to mount offensive campaigns while securing fronts that you can't quite afford to cover fully. Gallic Rome and its client states gave me a lot of trouble for a long time, as did various Germanic tribes and steppe nomads. Corruption and squalor and banditry make things quite fraught as you expand, so there's definitely a lot to juggle. I think skill trees and techs are better than standard Rome 2, by some distance.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to grab that DLC then, thanks!

And about Atilla. It's an amazing survival strategy game and when you're tired of that and want to go back to the empire building campaigns you can be Charlemagne himself.

You can also be a roaming Jewish horde which owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the one hit KO rules with Attila's javelin units. Watching a frontline evaporate under a hail of spears is glorious.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Does anyone know of a mod to stop AI aggressive agent actions which still works with the new Rome 2 DLC?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love the one hit KO rules with Attila's javelin units. Watching a frontline evaporate under a hail of spears is glorious.

It's costing me a lot of horse archers in Empire Divided as well. Skirmishing always lets infantry into javelin range (even when it doesn't crap out entirely and let them charge the horse archers) and casualties are appalling.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I tried the Spartans for the first time yesterday (tried doing a migration game to britain, might have to restart it). Holy poo poo are they super soldiers, even their tier one units. I usually have a bit of a hard time with Pikes of all sort because of their immobility, but not with sparta. Basically an immovable wall. Great long range slingers to bait the enemy into attacking, and then a nice hold back while flanking when possible. A hard hitting anvil and hammer. I'm tempted to try a real campaign with them. How are they in the Greek mini campaign DLC?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
The main problem with Attila is that the AI is utterly incapable of playing it. Like even if every other faction refused to fight them, both Romes would utterly collapse by themselves.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

New Butt Order posted:

The main problem with Attila is that the AI is utterly incapable of playing it. Like even if every other faction refused to fight them, both Romes would utterly collapse by themselves.

Total War's campaign AI has always been poo poo. I wish they put a few more ressources on it. And not just to make it a good micro AI, but a seemingly player AI (IE gently caress that movement edge skirting). I'd be down with an entire map campaign redo for their next game if it involves getting rid of the free army movements and instead going on a per tile (ala civ) or per province movement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StarMinstrel posted:

Total War's campaign AI has always been poo poo. I wish they put a few more ressources on it. And not just to make it a good micro AI, but a seemingly player AI (IE gently caress that movement edge skirting). I'd be down with an entire map campaign redo for their next game if it involves getting rid of the free army movements and instead going on a per tile (ala civ) or per province movement.

The free army movement is a bit weird now that they've eliminated any points of interest outside of the main settlement in a province. Like sure it's annoying as hell having an army consisting of a single yari ashigaru roaming around torching your farms in Shogun 2 but at least having buildings spread around like that made free movement make sense.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The warhammer map has a lot of movement-blocking obstacles (and ways for some races to bypass them), which adds some flavour. IMO that's the way to go. Except limit the special movement more, ie no dwarfs underwaying outside of mountains or wood elves using their special forest paths through the desert.

Obviously that doesn't translate to historicals, but for example you could:
-have northern european forests free roam for its owner, slow for enemy barbarians, and attrition + slow for outsiders
-deserts impassable but free roam for factions like arabs
-building/destroying bridges plus more and more noticeable rivers
-generally more hills/forests/mountains that affect movement

It would definitely be cool and flavourful to give historically weak but resilient factions, like arabs, numidians, barbarians, steppe tribes, etc big roster weaknesses but balance that by letting them gently caress with terrain. They should also get more holes filled in their roster by abandoning traditional ways, like arabs can conquer the levant to adopt greek and persian style armies but lose their desert bonuses.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like those ideas, and Rome 2 and Attila already have it where some factions are immune to desert/winter attrition so the basis is there.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I spent 20k to get a trade agreement to get lead in empire divided. :shepspends:

Then I started a war for the lead when they canceled the agreement.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Funny enough, that's what would've happened in real life if we had a tech tree showing what lead would be used for in the future.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm looking to get back into a RTW2 game with this update, and I'd like some advice about politics:

The rules of thumb, as I understand it, are:

1) Since Civil War is now caused by low party loyalty, there's no danger to having a lot of Influence apart from your high-Gravitas characters (possibly from using them exclusively) biting the dust one way or another and causing massive power vacuums when they die.

2) You will want to work towards Empire eventually, as it has the best bonuses.

3) If a party just won't become loyal, provoke them into revolting and just kill them if you have the opportunity.

Are these correct?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm looking to get back into a RTW2 game with this update, and I'd like some advice about politics:

The rules of thumb, as I understand it, are:

1) Since Civil War is now caused by low party loyalty, there's no danger to having a lot of Influence apart from your high-Gravitas characters (possibly from using them exclusively) biting the dust one way or another and causing massive power vacuums when they die.

2) You will want to work towards Empire eventually, as it has the best bonuses.

3) If a party just won't become loyal, provoke them into revolting and just kill them if you have the opportunity.

Are these correct?

Pretty much, although in my experience you need to do some pretty serious stuff to get party loyalty so low that it's a big issue.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Pretty much, although in my experience you need to do some pretty serious stuff to get party loyalty so low that it's a big issue.

Cool, thanks. The party loyalty thing came about because a Rome game I just started had every party at -10 or so party loyalty and that was concerning, even if you do have a window of 20 turns to fix things.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Check out the party traits, they can have a huge impact on loyalty. It seems that each party has 2 constant traits and a third that is determined by the current leader. You can see the potential loyalty trait of each character and thus pick out a guy in each party to be successor by giving him lots of promotions. You can also provoke a troublesome party into seceding in the hopes that a party with better traits will arise in the place.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

StarMinstrel posted:

Oh yeah, the AI has never been good, it just really shows in Attila because of how much more carefully you need to consider your provinces.

I'd be okay with going over to a Risk style map, but CA could probably fix a lot of that campaign obnoxiousness with just making the AI a tiny bit more aggressive. Or just make a bunch of ahistorically impassable forests everywhere so the armies are funneled along more predictable routes and they can't raid one pixel of uninhabited wasteland a million miles from that regions city.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nearly bought the newer TW games until i found out i can't use the console cheats on them any more, i mean where is the fun in that? :agesilaus:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's pretty trivial to mod in infinite money or give your dudes superhuman stats if you're so inclined

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

it's pretty trivial to mod in infinite money or give your dudes superhuman stats if you're so inclined

no settlement sized oliphaunts tho

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
not with the fancy unique model, but unit scale actually is one of the things you can change pretty easily iirc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Koramei posted:

not with the fancy unique model, but unit scale actually is one of the things you can change pretty easily iirc.

Never buying a TW title again because they made the Romans too short :mad: :italy:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Nearly bought the newer TW games until i found out i can't use the console cheats on them any more, i mean where is the fun in that? :agesilaus:

Cheat engine scripts: the future is now, old man.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do subjugated(vassal?) factions behave in vanilla Rome 2? Are they loyal like in Warhammer, or just waiting to backstab me like in Shogun 2?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
I never bothered with them, because the majority of factions only create "client states" which still have control over their own diplomacy and will get you embroiled in all sorts of dumb poo poo you don't want to do.

Persian cultures can create Satrapies, which are more like normal TW vassals and can be useful.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'll skip making vassals then.
Does Sparta get access to cool formations like the Romans? Testudo and the like.

Edit: NOPE

BARBARIAN FILTH

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 6, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Dongattack posted:

I'll skip making vassals then.
Does Sparta get access to cool formations like the Romans? Testudo and the like.

Unfortunately the three preorder Greeks are all super underserved. You dont get a lot of cool toys to play with, though they do have a handful of abilities and formations. CA didn't do a lot of speculative alt-history unit creation so Rome inherently gets the most stuff, as the name of the game might imply.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah the base campaign in Rome 2 feels, to a great extent, as if you're meant to play it as Rome and no-one else. The fact that Rome gets regional auxiliaries and no-one else does helps this impression.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah the base campaign in Rome 2 feels, to a great extent, as if you're meant to play it as Rome and no-one else. The fact that Rome gets regional auxiliaries and no-one else does helps this impression.

What's the points of the merc camps then for the other races? :/ Just started a campaign with Macedon. That bums me out. Oh well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StarMinstrel posted:

What's the points of the merc camps then for the other races? :/ Just started a campaign with Macedon. That bums me out. Oh well.

Other factions have their basic roster split between two or more buildings (often on a heavy/light basis) - by default only Rome has regional auxiliaries. You can recruit some troops from any client states you have, at least, but it's not the same.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
You could still get out-of-faction units with the mercenaries system, but it doesn't compete with the auxiliary system.

Everybody still has enough units to get the job done, and the other various Hellenic factions get by just fine with a Greek base supplemented with other unit types.

The Nomadic cultures are the ones that really chafe under unit restrictions, where you get about 6 units to choose from and half are upgrades of the other.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the nomad factions got screwed by roster and mechanics. Hey you get horse archers neat. The parthians get horse archers, armored horse archers, foot archers, lancers, all sorts of angry people.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
A dream feature for future historical TW titles would be a bit of cultural melding depending on where you are and what you conquer. Like if you're a Germanic tribe and conquer a bunch of the Mediterranean then maybe you adopt some Roman/Greek architecture and armor instead of just all mudhuts and naked dudes all the time or if you conquer eastwards then your regular recruitment roster expands to include cataphracts or horse archers. It's always very unsatisfying in a TW game where you can conquer half the world but your civilization is as unchanged as if you had just stayed in your homeland the whole time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

A dream feature for future historical TW titles would be a bit of cultural melding depending on where you are and what you conquer. Like if you're a Germanic tribe and conquer a bunch of the Mediterranean then maybe you adopt some Roman/Greek architecture and armor instead of just all mudhuts and naked dudes all the time or if you conquer eastwards then your regular recruitment roster expands to include cataphracts or horse archers. It's always very unsatisfying in a TW game where you can conquer half the world but your civilization is as unchanged as if you had just stayed in your homeland the whole time.

Agreed, its even more egrarious when you have a tech literally called hellenization and it does nothing. Its why I like Attila, it feels like your society has evolved by the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Agean90 posted:

the nomad factions got screwed by roster and mechanics. Hey you get horse archers neat. The parthians get horse archers, armored horse archers, foot archers, lancers, all sorts of angry people.

Like you need anything other then horse archers in a total war game.