Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

nth Term posted:

Sorry to distract from Willie chat, but do any any WI goons know of a good school around Madison.

I could use some exercise and I figure martial arts would be way more interesting than standard exercise.

I can't help you locally but your line of thinking is spot on. Good luck finding a good gym. There's a ton of helpful people when we aren't dicking around itt so I'm sure someone will suggest some where. If not post links to the gyms your considering and we can try and spot on any obvious red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

nth Term posted:

Sorry to distract from Willie chat, but do any any WI goons know of a good school around Madison.

I could use some exercise and I figure martial arts would be way more interesting than standard exercise.

One of the guys I train with is from Wisconsin, I'll ask him tomorrow.

There looks to be a bunch of gyms but without knowing any of them the Ciao Terra affiliate might be pretty good
https://www.bjjmadison.com/

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Does anyone know of any effective Judo throws that doesn't involve the Gi.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

-o goshi.

-double leg takedown but w a japanese name.

-whatever the outside leg trip w the double unders where u just collapse on them fatly is called.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Tons:

o goshi
uki goshi
harai goshi
ippon seoi nage
underhook reverse sasae
ko uchi gari/gake
arm drag ko soto gari/gake
o soto gari
yama arashi
koshi guruma
hikikiomi gaeshi
ura nage
ushiro goshi
tani otoshi
kata guruma
uchi makikomi

e. basically most upright judo throws can be modified to work from an elbow grip and an underhook.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Ippon seoi nage, osoto gari, kata guruma (fireman's), ouchi/kouchi, hip throws or uchi mata off a collar tie or whizzer. Sumi gaeshi off kimura or (arm-in) guillotine grip. Foot sweeps. Most throws will work with modified grips.

Personal favorites are osoto, fireman's and uchi mata. I like hitting all three off a whizzer.

Edit of course beaten by others.

ihop fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 6, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

What's the context? Are you at a judo club but trying to make sure you pay attention to parts of the curriculum that work better in no-gi?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

What's the context? Are you at a judo club but trying to make sure you pay attention to parts of the curriculum that work better in no-gi?

These fuckers keep wrestling me at MMA and my clinch game is weak but I seem to be able to trip people. I have never done any Judo and would quite like to start throwing people, or at least having some throws in my arsenal to mix things up a bit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

These fuckers keep wrestling me at MMA and my clinch game is weak but I seem to be able to trip people. I have never done any Judo and would quite like to start throwing people, or at least having some throws in my arsenal to mix things up a bit.

Look for cheeky muay thai clinch foot sweeps instead.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

KildarX posted:

If you do those in a gi, they're basically judo throws.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

KildarX posted:

Just googled these, perfect, thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Your problem is qualitatively technical and tactical, but you're seeking a quantitatively technical solution. To look up a bunch of techniques won't help, because you'll need to drill those techniques substantially before you're able to use them to counter your partner's wrestling.

If you need new techniques, instead look up stuff like how to defend a single-leg takedown. It's likely that the most useful answers to all of those will be "have better posture" and "sprawl."

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I have a very strong judo player at my gym and they hit footsweeps and hip tosses with the most regularity.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

BJJ players are typically very, very bad at standing up, unless they have a prior background in wrestling or BJJ. Even then, if they haven’t been keeping their stand up sharp they can get very owned standing.

Practice stand-up grappling people. Even if you’re just a BJJ player, you should want to be able to score on your opponent standing, and throws often lead to points in side control/Mount/whatever top position you can get.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hi liter posted:

BJJ players are typically very, very bad at standing up, unless they have a prior background in wrestling or BJJ. Even then, if they haven’t been keeping their stand up sharp they can get very owned standing.

Practice stand-up grappling people. Even if you’re just a BJJ player, you should want to be able to score on your opponent standing, and throws often lead to points in side control/Mount/whatever top position you can get.

Counterpoint - You can totally just pull guard 100% of the time in BJJ competition and not worry whether the dude you're looking at is a former Judo/Wrestling Olympian/college star and be very successful in that arena. Mind you, yea you should practice pulling guard guard so you can pull guard faster than the guy can counter, but there's not a huge amount of tech behind pulling guard against someone wearing a gi.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 7, 2017

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wonder why Travis Stevens pulls guard in BJJ comps? Always wondered what his reasoning was.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I wonder why Travis Stevens pulls guard in BJJ comps? Always wondered what his reasoning was.

I wonder if people are really hesitant to engage with him on the feet.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My lovely amateur guess is that he doesn't want his bjj takedowns affecting his judo throws in a negative way. When I do judo standup, I want to put my opponent flat on their back with not much regard for what happens afterwards. Often, this means hitting my throws with maximum speed and power, with a chance that I'll overthrow him and end up rolling over him. In judo I've still won the match, in BJJ I've just given my opponent at least two points and probably top position. Sure I could temper my judo takedowns when doing BJJ, but if I was competing at the highest level of both sports this is one area I'd really try not to mix.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Walter Dean occasionally pops in to help run a class at my gym. A couple of weeks ago I got to check out his Olympic ring from Atlanta. Just an honor to get lessons from that guy.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Walter Dean occasionally pops in to help run a class at my gym. A couple of weeks ago I got to check out his Olympic ring from Atlanta. Just an honor to get lessons from that guy.

Are you talking about Midtown Judo? Always wanted to stop in there and train, too broke to have more than one gym though :(

edit: Oh duh, I misread that.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 7, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Whoever asked about judo in mma. I see high level judoka landing osotogari from the clinch with double underhooks and over-under and footsweeps from the outside when the opponent's circling out gets predictable.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Liveposting team practice rn. Osoto gari as a double leg defense, hip toss more or less when osotogari is used but bodies are in different positions. Fighting lefty (or against a lefty) having outside foot position means footsweep city and inside leg position, though not preferred, becomes osoto town

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://www.cagepotato.com/gifs-of-the-day-akiyama-even-makes-takedowns-look-sexy/

This is one of my fave things.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 9, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
gently caress the gif doesn't work, have a look at the page. I think no gi Judo is the most beautiful aspect of mma, very fluid and cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That counter plays into what CommonShore was saying -- it'll be there if you have the repetitions sorted out at the gym.

Everybody sees the same attack, but they don't necessarily have that reaction available. Same with Cung Le's kick catch and sweep:

The same kicks you see all the time, but kicking out the support leg while pulling in the kick leg is something we (in sanshou) train every day. It helps that other places don't so that their defense isn't keyed into it.

e: I'll note that if the person you're countering is expecting the catch, they can hop and absorb more of the sweep if you hit them at the knee instead of behind the ankle. The knee can flex forward while keeping you upright; the foot can't. Aiming to the knee gets you more range like Cung is using, but works better if the other guy isn't expecting it.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2017

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Drama at the dojo: A couple black belts are leaving to start their own club. Rude things were said on the way out. Not sure who all is going yet. Yeesh.

Not sure how specific to get that won't make it very obvious where and who I'm talking about.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Gym drama is stupid but we're all doomed to live through it because we, as a whole, are retards.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gym drama: the black yagyu clan killed my master and now I must avenge him

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Fell Fire posted:

Drama at the dojo: A couple black belts are leaving to start their own club. Rude things were said on the way out. Not sure who all is going yet. Yeesh.

Not sure how specific to get that won't make it very obvious where and who I'm talking about.

Depending how its done, there is always going to be a level of pissed off if a student is leaving someone and taking other students with them.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Depending how its done, there is always going to be a level of pissed off if a student is leaving someone and taking other students with them.

The most dreaded of all dojo techniques: angry Facebook posts.

Yeah, the head sensei wasn't happy about it, although there might be some good to come out if it, namely smaller class sizes, more instruction time with the remaining black belts (six or seven who come regularly) and a more formalized promotion system.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Lately my jiu jitsu has felt like its really been sucking. I'm getting submitted way more than I should and Im just not as "in tune" with my body. I know Im only a blue belt but is this normal? How do you guys get out of this funk? Im still going to class and Ill continue going but it kind of sucks when you're the guy always getting submitted. I honestly feel like im going backwards and its a horrible feeling.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Lately my jiu jitsu has felt like its really been sucking. I'm getting submitted way more than I should and Im just not as "in tune" with my body. I know Im only a blue belt but is this normal? How do you guys get out of this funk? Im still going to class and Ill continue going but it kind of sucks when you're the guy always getting submitted. I honestly feel like im going backwards and its a horrible feeling.

google blue belt blues

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Either go back to your fundamentals or be on the offensive. Pick a part of your game you want to work on and focus on improving that. For me, after I injured my knee it was half guard. I spent like 6 months getting smashed in bottom half and the next year working on making it nearly impassable. Incremental success and small milestones are better than worrying about who is submitting who unless you want to compete all the time.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks Wangbig! I havent heard about the blue belt blues, but it describes me pretty well.

JaySB posted:

Either go back to your fundamentals or be on the offensive. Pick a part of your game you want to work on and focus on improving that. For me, after I injured my knee it was half guard. I spent like 6 months getting smashed in bottom half and the next year working on making it nearly impassable. Incremental success and small milestones are better than worrying about who is submitting who unless you want to compete all the time.

I only care about getting submitted in terms of my own ability to defend. Lately its been bad. I have been playing around in Deep Half, I like going there and I am successful from there, but like this morning I've been so sore every class its kind of affecting me as well. I kind of feel like getting a sub every once and a while against the normal guys I roll with is affirmation that I am learning right alongside them, picking things up and applying them. Lately I've been the one lagging behind in terms of application of technique.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Best advice for concealing/diminishing a black eye? Held on to an arm bar during a scramble and posted with the side of my face.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

Best advice for concealing/diminishing a black eye? Held on to an arm bar during a scramble and posted with the side of my face.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I just tell people I fell down the stairs

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Dark sunglasses and https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/rest-ice-compression-and-elevation-rice-topic-overview

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Fundamental defense will help, as will injecting a bit of fun into your rolls. My advice for getting past the blue belt blues is a two part plan:
1. Keep defense simple and fundamental. Work on really low-level anti-smashing stuff like always being on your side. Don’t think about the whole escape, just be the best you can at step one first.
2. For offense, work on something stupid. Like, really stupid, but fun. Hunt for that gogoplata, or tornado guard sweep, or reverse-mount toe-hold, or cartwheel pass. Something low percentage but really fun. Purposefully doing something silly can pretty drastically raise your spirits, and if it fails it’s no big deal.