Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It's non-canon to Uncle Grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I like how Steven, Uncle Grandpa's Torso, and Uncle Grandpa's Head saluted.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Also just noticed that, nice little details.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There should be another Uncle Grandpa episode

So we actually get a new episode

Also the episode should be about everyone fusing with everybody else

But Peridot and Lapis never do

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think new episodes are out in January.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So here's a thing: https://youtu.be/3UZ3u5Bc2xk

Remember those episodes everyone already watched because they came out on the CN app? Well they're airing officially in December and after that there's going to be a "Special Event" of some kind in January.

I personally feel like Cartoon Network would have to be stupid as Hell to not have the "Special Event" be more new episodes, but they've done dumber things before so who knows what will happen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So here's a thing: https://youtu.be/3UZ3u5Bc2xk

Remember those episodes everyone already watched because they came out on the CN app? Well they're airing officially in December and after that there's going to be a "Special Event" of some kind in January.

I personally feel like Cartoon Network would have to be stupid as Hell to not have the "Special Event" be more new episodes, but they've done dumber things before so who knows what will happen.

A special showing of the original pilot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Say Uncle Part 2: The Uncle Strikes Back

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Restaurant Wars II: Revenge of Rocknaldo

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The secret Rap Career of Pearl and Steven.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

khwarezm posted:

I'm trying to get a friend into the show but when I told her about it she watched the first couple of episodes in season 1 and said she hated it. I feel a bit awkward since the first half of season 1 is pretty rough and I think I could show her better episodes to showcase the show's strengths, but I'm not really sure where to start with a newcomer.

I have Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem in mind, any other ideas?

If someone straight up says that they hated the first couple of episodes of a show, maybe don't bother? Friends that you think might love something you do might not, and trying to get someone to watch a show they've said they strongly dislike can come across as proselytizing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Restaurant Wars II: Revenge of Rocknaldo

Listen, say what you want about Rocknaldo, but I will not stand for poo poo talk about Restaurant Wars.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Listen, say what you want about Rocknaldo, but I will not stand for poo poo talk about Restaurant Wars.

Honestly I loved restaurant wars too I've just had this weird fantasy of an important plot level ep being named that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Infinitum posted:

There should be another Uncle Grandpa episode

So we actually get a new episode

Also the episode should be about everyone fusing with everybody else

But Peridot and Lapis never do

Steven fuses with Uncle Grandpa.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

khwarezm posted:

I think new episodes are out in January.

"What year?!" -Kyle Reese

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is the art book worth getting? For an artist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

18 Character Limit posted:

"What year?!" -Kyle Reese

"I now know why you cry, but it is something I can never do." Jasper wipes the tear from Steven's cheek. "Goodbye."

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hey, don't spoil the series finale!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

teraflame posted:

Is the art book worth getting? For an artist.

I mean. If they love animation. It's a beautiful book.

It starts out at the Concept Pitch Book. Goes into the Pilot. Then into the Green Light phase. To further into production.

I don't think I've ever seen an art book do that? Even the Adventure Time one feels different.

Every part of the show in it, from concept, to storyboards, to promotional work, and artists chiming in along the way, all through out. It's pretty dense.

It definitely feels like a more intimate look at putting together a show/movie than say Disney or Dream Works art books.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Can't wait for my head-canon finally comes true and we get Stencle Graniverse. Very exciting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SpacePig posted:

Can't wait for my head-canon finally comes true and we get Stencle Graniverse. Very exciting.

Excuse me, his name is Stunkle Grandiose and his voice actor is Vermin Supreme.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Siamang posted:

If someone straight up says that they hated the first couple of episodes of a show, maybe don't bother? Friends that you think might love something you do might not, and trying to get someone to watch a show they've said they strongly dislike can come across as proselytizing.

'Hate' was probably too strong a word, (we both tend towards Hyperbole and she likes to tease me over things like this), after I explained why I liked the show (great emotional moments, music, character development, interesting world building) she said she'd be more than willing to watch more representative episodes and, lets be honest, season 1 kind of sucks and it was a bit of an effort for me to soldier on through that when I first watched the show so I'm trying to fast forward through to the good stuff.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It would be a pretty fair trade, actually: It would give Steven access to Uncle Grandpa's superior cosmic powers, and at the same time give Uncle Grandpa access to Steven's superior television show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
IDK... I don't really want to get into cartoons at this point like I used to because I'm really frustrated by these horrible schedules, but I feel like the non-LORE episodes of this show, even in season one, are still better than almost anything else on animated television. Especially since they manage to make something funny and that still feels like a cartoon without super exaggeration.

Cartoon Hangover has put out three pilots meant for adult viewers. I thought the second one was okay, but the first and third were garbage.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

deadly_pudding posted:

Excuse me, his name is Stunkle Grandiose and his voice actor is Vermin Supreme.

Are you sure not Biz Markie or Meatloaf?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PicklePants posted:

Are you sure not Biz Markie or Meatloaf?

Meatloaf or Jack Black are both reserved for Steg Universe, who will definitely make an extremely awkward, "Please, call me Steg. Mister Universe is... my... father? :psyduck:"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

IDK... I don't really want to get into cartoons at this point like I used to because I'm really frustrated by these horrible schedules, but I feel like the non-LORE episodes of this show, even in season one, are still better than almost anything else on animated television. Especially since they manage to make something funny and that still feels like a cartoon without super exaggeration.

Cartoon Hangover has put out three pilots meant for adult viewers. I thought the second one was okay, but the first and third were garbage.

If you don't like the release schedule go watch Bojack Horseman on Netflix. Each season is released all at once and has a self contained arc so it makes the wait between seasons easier because it feels like you just watched a complete thing.

I think that's the main problem with the way Cartoon Network is putting out Steven Universe. SU is a slow paced show that lends itself a lot better to weekly releases rather than short bursts of episodes followed by long periods of nothing.

Also, if you're looking for a surprisingly good adult cartoon, watch Big Mouth (also on Netflix). It's one of the few coming of age gross out comedies that does the female half of the typical puberty jokes, and it features fun moments like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBrnk7Xys4A

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pizza Steve fused with Amethyst, but not the good kind like you want.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Big Mouth is not as good as I hoped it would be.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

khwarezm posted:

Big Mouth is not as good as I hoped it would be.

Funny, I thought it would be super bad and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

Meatloaf or Jack Black are both reserved for Steg Universe, who will definitely make an extremely awkward, "Please, call me Steg. Mister Universe is... my... father? :psyduck:"

You know, I could totally see Jack Black playing an adult Steven in a live action movie.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Funny, I thought it would be super bad and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I watched after a lot of people recommended it to me.

Oh wow, this is how it feels.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's an interesting look at straight people puberty.

Which is really drat boring, unfortunately.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

deadly_pudding posted:

This episode will also be called I Am My Dad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

khwarezm posted:

Like, that's not really an excuse. Most of the time going off model or loving up sizes adds nothing and is just a sign they didn't care enough to keep track.
It's absolutely an excuse. It's their art, and they can make it any way they want.

The old Simpsons animation was technically inferior to what we have now, but those weird off-model moments punctuated certain moments beautifully. I preferred it. Now everybody has like four expressions. They're "on model," but that model is arbitrary and rigid.

These are people who've been in animation for a long time. They know how to keep things on model. The choice to not do that isn't a choice to be "bad animators." It's an artistic choice you just don't like.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the Simpsons never had moments where, say, Homer was suddenly smaller than Bart in one shot but, hey, whatever you say.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure the Simpsons never had moments where, say, Homer was suddenly smaller than Bart in one shot but, hey, whatever you say.

By the same comparison, we’ve never had Garnet shown as smaller than Steven.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Pictured: Unforgivable off-modeling

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Pictured: Unforgivable off-modeling

chitoryu12 posted:

By the same comparison, we’ve never had Garnet shown as smaller than Steven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Honestly SU does decently with keeping relative character sizes (as in X character is bigger than Y) with the exception of Lapis (one ep she's shorter than pearl but in another she's slightly taller)