Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which: have they said what (if anything) is replacing styles?

They incorporated things from them into the base moves of weapons. Most if not all have an air launching move now. Finishers exist for certain weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

They incorporated things from them into the base moves of weapons. Most if not all have an air launching move now. Finishers exist for certain weapons.

Longsword and sword + shield have aerial-style attacks, but I think that's it - though the environments have a ton more stuff to jump off of, so everyone will have greater access to midair attacks.

Longsword also has an adept-ish move (dodge a hit and then counterattack to raise your meter up a level) but it looks a lot trickier to pull off because you have to combo into it from another attack.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

Longsword and sword + shield have aerial-style attacks, but I think that's it - though the environments have a ton more stuff to jump off of, so everyone will have greater access to midair attacks.

Longsword also has an adept-ish move (dodge a hit and then counterattack to raise your meter up a level) but it looks a lot trickier to pull off because you have to combo into it from another attack.

Huh. I could have sworn I saw a lot more doing jumps. Maybe the fast cut trailers have confused me.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If you aren't using the crazy infinite axe combo you aren't switch axing right.

In non monhan news, Dauntless put out a video preview for it's big December update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQB8stVFTdk

I think it looks pretty cool but your mileage may vary and that's ok. :unsmith:

:edit: December 8th? That's earlier than I thought. nice

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 7, 2017

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Huh. I could have sworn I saw a lot more doing jumps. Maybe the fast cut trailers have confused me.

Well, one of the new environmental features are slopes that you can jump off of when you're sliding down them. Some of the attacks you can do from those jumps are pretty flashy.

https://i.imgur.com/khCln1w.gifv

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

Well, one of the new environmental features are slopes that you can jump off of when you're sliding down them. Some of the attacks you can do from those jumps are pretty flashy.

Maybe tha ts what I was seeing. The dual blades jump was a slope jump too I see.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Triarii posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMhi2v5i_E

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe tha ts what I was seeing. The dual blades jump was a slope jump too I see.

Dual blades seem to have been given cool new stuff they can do while in the air, but to actually get in the air you'll still need to find a ledge or slope to jump off of.

https://i.imgur.com/eORdbfQ.mp4

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I've been seconding dual blades for enemies that switch axe is too slow for. And World looks like it will keep that trend. Looks great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Capcom this weekend is my birthday, I'd like my gift to be a really good gunlance experience in this demo, thanks~

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

7c Nickel posted:

Interesting that they are directly competing with the MH beta weekend. Probably trying to get in good with the PC crowd while there is MH hunger that PC users can't sate.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

7c Nickel posted:

If you aren't using the crazy infinite axe combo you aren't switch axing right.

In non monhan news, Dauntless put out a video preview for it's big December update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQB8stVFTdk

I think it looks pretty cool but your mileage may vary and that's ok. :unsmith:

Am I misunderstanding or are they saying that if you participate in matchmaking hunts, helping other players hunt their targeted monsters -- even ones other than the monster you need parts from -- you'll still get parts for that goal? I don't really understand how the crafting/resource system works in the game but I do like the idea of making non-goal hunts feel worthwhile and spreading the gameplay around through it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm so, so glad they did basically 100% of what I wanted them to do with the styles: Try a whole bunch of wild off-the-wall poo poo in X/XX and then incorporate what was good about them into the base gameplay of the next game.

Can't wait for next week.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is this game out yet?

Me and my buddy dusted off our 3DSes and played some gen coop and we totally forgot just how bitching MH is

Knife goes in, armor parts go out, what's not to like?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can play a demo this weekend with online enabled

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Awesome! posted:

you can play a demo this weekend with online enabled

Only on PS4 though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If you don't find a way to hack n slash sa combo every monster then you aren't living

Switch axe for life

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Olive! posted:

Only on PS4 though.

lol if u didn't buy a ps4 on bf weekend just for the demo

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Vib Rib posted:

Am I misunderstanding or are they saying that if you participate in matchmaking hunts, helping other players hunt their targeted monsters -- even ones other than the monster you need parts from -- you'll still get parts for that goal? I don't really understand how the crafting/resource system works in the game but I do like the idea of making non-goal hunts feel worthwhile and spreading the gameplay around through it.

It sounded like there are parts that drop from multiple monsters and then some unique parts from specific monsters.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

In Gen there were two arts that when combined let you stay in sword mode indefinitely, and another that buffed sword damage. So it made no sense to ever switch back to axe. Which is silly because the weapon is called switch axe.

Hilarious that they "balanced" it in xx by just making axe op instead. Oh Capcom :allears:

They changed up those two arts in XX so that's no longer possible right?

Also that is the best kind of balancing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
No one cares about Dauntless, go make a thread (and title it that).

I think I'm gonna SA and CB this time, though of course there will be a steady staple of Hammers because how can you not hammer?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I love switch axe but I've always wondered why it wasn't a more fluid weapon with more moves that transitioned between axe and sword mode. Just have sword mode build through axe mode hits and possibly have something like an overheat mechanic if you hit maximum bar, or optimal range would be a green area in the center of the bar so you'd be rewarded for building to a certain point and then doing combos that rotated between axe and sword mode.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Terrific Accident posted:

I love switch axe but I've always wondered why it wasn't a more fluid weapon with more moves that transitioned between axe and sword mode. Just have sword mode build through axe mode hits and possibly have something like an overheat mechanic if you hit maximum bar, or optimal range would be a green area in the center of the bar so you'd be rewarded for building to a certain point and then doing combos that rotated between axe and sword mode.

Agreed, and the CB kinda illustrates how in some ways the SA was design training wheels for them, but also kinda puts the SA to shame with just how much poo poo you can do with it.

That said, the SA has always shat out more consistent damage than the CB when used properly.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Me Lancing a Barroth in 3U and also Lancing a Barroth all this weekend.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Terrific Accident posted:

Your reward is doing a status effect blast in a dino's face. Are people not using that because it switches you to axe mode? Always be blasting.

I play like 50-50 each mode and status blast a lot so I'm always switching back and forth. The fact that theres now an incentive meter to stay in sword mode longer before doing the blast makes me think other people aren't playing like the goon hivemind decided switchaxe should be played.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I also play it 50-50 and I loving wish they added the downwards chop transformation from adept into it's base moveset.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
So ready for this. One more day!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

empathe posted:

It sounded like there are parts that drop from multiple monsters and then some unique parts from specific monsters.

From what I understand, there are patrol hunts and specific hunts. Monsters in a given patrol tier drop generic parts for that tier as well as their own parts. It also looks like they've moved to a system where all the parts drop like MH shinies instead of being autocollected at the end of the hunt.

Where it gets kind of interesting is that if you queue for a specific hunt it can pull in people patrolling too, hopefully this gives a bigger base of random players to help fill in less popular Behemoth hunts. I'm not sure how you get specific hunts though. Maybe unlocked via quest or you have to spend tokens earned by patrolling?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2017

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Well, I learned I could get exclusive stuff and items for joining the beta, so there goes my PS+ subscription.

I still probably won't play a ton of the demo to avoid early burnout, but man do I want to test out everything.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do we know what the stuff is yet

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Squidtentacle posted:

Well, I learned I could get exclusive stuff and items for joining the beta, so there goes my PS+ subscription.

I still probably won't play a ton of the demo to avoid early burnout, but man do I want to test out everything.

Exclusives? poo poo. Real tempted now to burn all of my mobile data to try downloading if now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder if it's time for me to bring back cartoon Duramboros avatar or something else from that NCHproductions bloke

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Is the demo live?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Awesome! posted:

do we know what the stuff is yet

Its literally just some lovely facepaint customization.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I actually only just watched my very first video of MH World gameplay, the gunlance video natch, and oh thank christ they got rid of Heat

I am so loving hype now

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bombadilillo posted:

Is the demo live?

Preload tomorrow, play Sat-Tue

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only thing I've heard is a camo face paint that don't look very good and some consumables. So you won't really be missing out if you don't play the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy4o4ROAJ1Q

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How do I make this demo preload?

Also is this 'digital deluxe edition' really just an armor and an emote? :roflolmao:

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 8, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I don’t think the preload starts for another 12 hrs or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm thinking of preorders where it autopreloads.

I want 2 levels of automatic giving me monster hunter.