Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The final episode of the Orville will turn out to be just like Red Dwarf's "Back To Reality", and the reason there are so many Trek homages is because the simulation was based entirely off the Star Trek mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JediTalentAgent posted:

The final episode of the Orville will turn out to be just like Red Dwarf's "Back To Reality", and the reason there are so many Trek homages is because the simulation was based entirely off the Star Trek mythology.

fat elderly modern day frakes squeezed into 1990's tng uniform: "Computer, end program."

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

fat elderly modern day frakes squeezed into 1990's tng uniform: "Computer, end program."

honestly every newly canceled star trek should end like this until Frakes dies

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kitchner posted:

Tarintino talked about this once and he basically said what he'd love to do is take some episodes and stretch them out into a film.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i loving LOVE THAT GIF

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Recently just got past that episode

By the way, Voyager is most wearing for two reasons: it relies on 1) Subspace Anomoly (or similar) as a plot device, or what I like to term 2) Mental Health Episodes, where the issue is related to cognition or perception of reality or false memories or other I/id/ego bollocks

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Watched DS9 Blood Oath last night, Klingons are fun and it was great they used actors from TOS to reprise their roles like 80 years later. Dax killed a bunch of random guards though which was kinda hosed up. Also apparently it's super easy to just make it so all phasers don't work in an area by shooting an energy beam over the area, sure glad they never use that again.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
When Dax tells Worf he's a poo poo kingon because he never laughs or has fun is great. Worf really is a keeabo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kitchner posted:

When Dax tells Worf he's a poo poo kingon because he never laughs or has fun is great. Worf really is a keeabo

Worf makes a bit more sense when you realize first and foremost he's Russian.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Watched DS9 Blood Oath last night, Klingons are fun and it was great they used actors from TOS to reprise their roles like 80 years later. Dax killed a bunch of random guards though which was kinda hosed up. Also apparently it's super easy to just make it so all phasers don't work in an area by shooting an energy beam over the area, sure glad they never use that again.

As much of a franchise killer as it would be I really want them to not keep making phasers a weapon that still exists in any future Trek. Even if they just change the name and beam colours (again). Those things have been around for so long and have been more and more useless, why not go for something new?

Heck they made Quantum torpedoes a thing just by colouring them blue and saying "no no these are totally stronger dude" and we believed it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
MMOs have shown us that making more powerful weaponry is as easy as coming up with a new descriptor or prefix

Photon
Quantum
Transphasic
Temporal
uh uhhh Fluidic

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ben Nerevarine posted:

MMOs have shown us that making more powerful weaponry is as easy as coming up with a new descriptor or prefix

Photon
Quantum
Transphasic
Temporal
uh uhhh Fluidic

Iso

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Probably "mycotorpedoes" now that we have fungus drive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gave er the ol' mushroom torpedo.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

The crew seems scared of the captain so I'm guessing he's not really a captain at all, he's a huge trekkie who has kidnapped those people or something.

Pretty sure it'll be a Redshirts takeoff where they're all trapped as part of a TV show.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Gave er the ol' mushroom torpedo.

poo poo. The answer was glaring us in the face all along.

The mushroom drive is a penis metaphor.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

evilmiera posted:

As much of a franchise killer as it would be I really want them to not keep making phasers a weapon that still exists in any future Trek. Even if they just change the name and beam colours (again). Those things have been around for so long and have been more and more useless, why not go for something new?

Heck they made Quantum torpedoes a thing just by colouring them blue and saying "no no these are totally stronger dude" and we believed it.

You mean they need to call the rayguns by a different name or they should just shoot bullets like it's Stargate SG-1?

Because honestly the phasers are already pretty much different from what they used to be, they used to all be beams and now they're nearly all zap shots like Star Wars blasters.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's not like they've been super consistent in how the kill shots look either, we've had "everything glows and then disappears", "impact point explodes in a shower of blood sparks", "phaser punches a hole straight through the victim", "victim is sent flying thirty feet away" and we've had "flesh sears off from skull and then the skull explodes and half the torso slowly burns away". And that's just the phasers, there's been other non-Starfleet rayguns that do poo poo like "slowly eat away the victim from the inside as they scream in agony", "makes the flesh disappear leaving skeletons behind and then the skeletons disappear", and "leaves wounds that won't close because something something anticoagulant technobabble".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"makes the flesh disappear leaving skeletons behind and then the skeletons disappear"

This is the most metal one. I remember they used this effect in the Deaf Alien Guy episode of TNG and it was kickin' rad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Tuvok, arm quantum transphasic tri-cobalt torpedoes

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Photon
Quantum
Transphasic
Temporal
uh uhhh Fluidic

From the Star Trek Online wiki:
  • Photon: Highest DPS, 6.5 second reload
  • Quantum: High damage per shot, 8.5 second reload
  • Plasma: Plasma DoT, 8.5 second reload
  • Transphasic: High shield penetration, 10 second reload
  • Chroniton: Chance to debuff flight speed and turn rate, 10 second reload
  • Tricobalt: High AoE damage with disable, destructible projectile, 30 second reload
:goonsay:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
what series had the black hole gun? DS9?

edit: no, wait, I'm an idiot, it was some sort of teleportation gun I think?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In my eyes, indisposed
In disguises no one knows
Hides the face, lies the snake
Logic in my disgrace
Boiling heat, desert stench
'Neath the black these guys looks dead
Call my name through deep space
I'll save the Vulcan race

Black hole gun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain

Black hole gun,
Won't you come?
Won't you cooooooome

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Your Battle Buddy posted:

It was DS9 that had the rifle with the teleporting bullets.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Your Battle Buddy posted:

The gun had a miniature transporter pad at the end of the barrel to beam a solid bullet around. This was never used outside that episode, despite the gun being available through replication, and better than phasers in basically every way. The gun makes no sense, though.

For starters, the notion that momentum is preserved during transportation (which the gun supposedly relies on) means that transporters should have been complete death traps: anyone beaming anywhere would have to make sure their velocity at the source is safely matched at the destination. If the USS Enterprise and the USS Hood were traveling in opposite directions, Ensign Ricky's transfer to the Enterprise would be cut very short by the fact that he'd be flying through the transporter console, operator and about 3-4 bulkheads at 1/2 impulse power.

Since nobody gibs on the walls after transporting, yet this gun exists and the bullet is still speedy, it's safe to say that the transport beam can apply momentum to the object by itself. This begs the question as to why the teleport gun needs a barrel or any sort of chemical or electromagnetic propellent for the bullet, when it can just beam the bullet with a modified velocity to the destination for the same effect.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 7, 2017

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I think it's safe to assume the teleporter on the gun doesn't necessarily feature safety devices such as momentum nullifiers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

popewiles posted:

I think it's safe to assume the teleporter on the gun doesn't necessarily feature safety devices such as momentum nullifiers.

A momentum nullifier is the exact same thing as a momentum imparter. It is just increasing velocity in the opposite direction of your current velocity. If you can do that you can increase velocity in any direction you want so there's no reason to actually propel a projectile through the transport beam.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

popewiles posted:

momentum nullifiers.

Is this actual trek jargon? Does it ever fail and send someone hurtling through the transporter room bulkhead at supersonic velocities?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Is this actual trek jargon? Does it ever fail and send someone hurtling through the transporter room bulkhead at supersonic velocities?

It is actual trek jargon in the sense that it was just made up to communicate the workings of magic trek space tech.

naem
May 29, 2011

Why not just transport your enemy's internal organs 4 feet to the left

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Heisenberg Compensators.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I would teleport poo poo into dudes heads and when they died i'd be like "heh poo poo for brains" and put my geordi visor on

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Locked door mysteries would suck. "How was this guy murdered when all the doors were locked?" "Transporters." "Oh, right."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Locked door mysteries would suck. "How was this guy murdered when all the doors were locked?" "Transporters." "Oh, right."

It was his clone actually

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doggles posted:

From the Star Trek Online wiki:
  • Photon: Highest DPS, 6.5 second reload
  • Quantum: High damage per shot, 8.5 second reload
  • Plasma: Plasma DoT, 8.5 second reload
  • Transphasic: High shield penetration, 10 second reload
  • Chroniton: Chance to debuff flight speed and turn rate, 10 second reload
  • Tricobalt: High AoE damage with disable, destructible projectile, 30 second reload
:goonsay:

Those are all torpedoes, also all on Star Trek Online where only plasma counts or something. (In all seriousness I lpve that there is variety of weapon types at least in that game and that proper phasers are hardly ever used)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

localized chroniton displacement field aging his heart one century into the future from the rest of his body

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Those are all torpedoes, also all on Star Trek Online where only plasma counts or something. (In all seriousness I lpve that there is variety of weapon types at least in that game and that proper phasers are hardly ever used)

Phasers used to be all the rage in that game, because the secondary trait would disable random subsystems (shields most importantly) on the target. Then they made secondary weapon traits barely proc and people just picked their favorite color and now nobody plays the game at all. So much like the shows I guess... just a slow inevitable decline to pure poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

naem posted:

Why not just transport your enemy's internal organs 4 feet to the left

The only series that ever even approaches the notion that teleporters are a loving horrifying weapon in the wrong hands is ironically Voyager, because all their enemies don't have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

evilmiera posted:

When I played it briefly I kind of liked that combat just assumed you'd fire with phasers and photons as often as possible and let you set them to just trigger whenever they were in range/arc and cooled down, and instead the focus was on maneuvering and presenting the optimal shield/weapon arc facing.