Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Dare I as who The Ray is?

A very bit player in Uncle Sam's Freedom Fighters. They all got the gently caress killed a few issues prior.

Recently, (a good decade after this comic got published) people got very angry when they announced he's getting his own tv show and that he's gay now. Nobody ever had any passion for that character one way or the other before that news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

garycoleisgod posted:

It's not likely to ever come up for me, but, what are you supposed to do in a tornado?

Nothing different from what you normally do. Namely:

Yaws posted:

Lie in a ditch

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

It's important also to remember the context of this scene.

Prior to this, we see him learn to fly, he's finally learned where he came from, and is wearing the Superman suit.
His first steps as a man.

We then go back and see him fight with his father, and lose him in a tornado.
His last moment of adolescence.

Then there's also that the entire tornado itself is just the metaphor for the fight we see.
I know it's been chided by some that it's silly to have had Cavill play a teenager, and sure.
However it was important to see him tell Costner "You're not my REAL father!" especially after a scene of him meeting Crowe.
The pain, the tearing of those words, is made manifest in the tornado. Clark can't save his dad because he can't unsay those words.

Also I really want to mention how much I love the editing and flow of Man of Steel, especially when we get to Earth.
You start out with Kal-El's ship about to hit, which then cuts to a ship hitting a wave. After saving the refinery crew Clark falls into the ocean and dreams about his mother "Focus on my voice, pretend it's an island out in the ocean"
and wakes up to the whale and its child. After making his way to land and stealing some clothes he watches a school bus drive off which becomes the bus from his childhood.
It's just a tight and beautiful little sequence of events that tells you everything you need to know about this Superman.

Also the school bus' stop sign being deployed before it flies off the bridge is a good gag. (as is dicksplash being the catalyst :v:)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
e: posting with multiple tabs open is dangerous, sorry

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think the tornado scene might have worked better if they either :

1) Cut away a bit sooner.
2) Made it more dream-like, like the bat tornado or Kent talking to his dad on the mountain.

The scene didn't make me laugh but it sure made me stare in disbelief. I had similar issues with Kent's real mother and the wall of fire in the beginning. It just looks really fake and off-putting.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

2) Made it more dream-like, like the bat tornado or Kent talking to his dad on the mountain.

Look very carefully at the image here:

Johnathan Kent would be lifted up if this were more rooted in the "real" instead of imaginary or symbolic. The thing you're asking for is there, but you need to look and see it. Pa Kent disappears and is swallowed by the tornado, but as has been said constantly, because this dream is from Clark Kent's perspective it requires a more deft attentiveness to the imagery. You won't always get something as overt/seemingly explicit as a "Bat Tornado" or "Exposition" but this is still very overtly magical/dreamlike in quality. You get thrown or sucked into tornadoes, you don't just vanish. And that's right there for the eye to see.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 6, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Counting down until someone says "Disney can now release an non SE Star Wars!"

SE?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lovely Edition

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Its very funny to watch that sad man be destroyed by a tornado.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yaws posted:

Oh yeah. I did a complete 180 on BvS. The UC felt far more cohesive and I loved all the extra Clark stuff.

The bad scenes are still bad though. gently caress that random introductory Justice League scene and the Doomsday fight was a letdown after the Zod-Superman fight in MoS.

I agree on the Clark stuff, I liked that we got to spend more time with Clark, as it elaborates on his problem with Batman. I also appreciated the extra scenes regarding the africa conspiracy, as it clarified a few details for me. Some of the extra scenes did feel superfluous though, namely all the parts relating to Wally and his exploding chair.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/NewMutantsFilm/status/937744057262059526

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like what I'm seeing so far.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Corrosion posted:

Look very carefully at the image here:

Johnathan Kent would be lifted up if this were more rooted in the "real" instead of imaginary or symbolic. The thing you're asking for is there, but you need to look and see it. Pa Kent disappears and is swallowed by the tornado, but as has been said constantly, because this dream is from Clark Kent's perspective it requires a more deft attentiveness to the imagery. You won't always get something as overt/seemingly explicit as a "Bat Tornado" or "Exposition" but this is still very overtly magical/dreamlike in quality. You get thrown or sucked into tornadoes, you don't just vanish. And that's right there for the eye to see.

He literally starts to fade out. It's symbolic as fuuuuuuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's really weird because I bought a couple of New Mutants issues in the mid-80s completely on a lark (based on their awesome covers) and totally by coincidence it's the Demon Bear arc, which

a) has amazing Bill Sienkiewicz art
b) is the arc they're using for the movie

wild

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I am stoked with how happy Siencowicz and Claremont both seem to be with the upcoming movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

new mutants looks cool. a horror-superheroes mashup sounds promising

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ryan Reynolds is next playing a Manga character.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-reynolds-star-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-1065206

Pikachu

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shoulda been Devito

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Don't blow this, Legendary

This is your chance to tie Pokemon into the evolving Godzillaverse

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Finally the role that will propel Reynolds to the A-list.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Shoulda been Devito

It really should
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cR4ADXBkII

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Burkion posted:

Shoulda been Devito

Yeah.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

was devito actually considered/rumored or was that just a good idea the internet latched onto?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Patty Jenkins is a runner-up for Time's Person of the Year.

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-patty-jenkins-runner-up/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Patty Jenkins is a runner-up for Time's Person of the Year.

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-patty-jenkins-runner-up/

They already picked the women in Hollywood who spilled the beans on Harvey Weinstein and his ilk.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

They already picked the women in Hollywood who spilled the beans on Harvey Weinstein and his ilk.

Yes, I know, that's why she's on the "runner-up" list. They all got articles of their own.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Critic's Choice Awards nominations are out.

- Logan, Thor Ragnarok, and Wonder Woman are all nominated for Best Action Film
- Patrick Stewart and Dafnee Keen are both nominated for Logan in the Best Supporting Actor and Best Young Actor categories respectively.
- Chris Hemsworth is nominated for Best Actor In A Comedy for Ragnarok.
- Thor and WW are both in the Best Visual Effects Category.
- Lego Batman is nominated for Best Animated Movie.
- WW is in Best Costume too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow Thor is punching above its pay grade

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thor and WW? Best effects? For lovely green screen and lovely Ares? Really? Lego Batman is the best action movie, period.

I swear to God, Roger Deakins better win this year. Or else.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 7, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Kong got fuckin' robbed. Robbed blind.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gatts posted:

Thor and WW? Best effects? For lovely green screen and lovely Ares? Really? Lego Batman is the best action movie, period.

a reminder that John Wick 2 came out this year

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

....HOLY poo poo WTF?

No really, WTF critics? Kong? That movie had better visual effects than every Marvel movie out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Solidly not as good as John Wick 1, but still OK.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spotted in Brazil

https://twitter.com/eseauto/status/938555728775725056

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God drat it why did I have to grow up with the 90s Spidey cartoon and Marvel vs Capcom

I am insanely loving hype for this in spite of the fact that I really, really shouldn't be

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Everything about Venom's design is the coolest. The actual character? Mehhhh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Booker T should be Psyduck.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LEGO Batman doesn’t even deserve acknowledgment. Sure, the first 10 or so minutes are solid but it sinks really fast after that.

Critics, once again, are loving stupid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope against all odds another DC movie, I don't care which, some how gets an award while Thor flounders

I don't know why, the Oscars are a joke, but it just amuses me so much to say Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I learned the other night you can say "Academy Award winner The Wolfman (2010)"

• Locked thread