Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
So I did a dwarf campaign in the first game, and have just finished a dark elf one in the second. Thought the over the top evilness of them was pretty hilarious.

Reckon I'll give the mortal empires campaign a swing for the next playthrough... Any recommendations on what would be the most fun/different feeling race to play as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I really like Empire simply because it's pretty easy to get to fight against most other races in one playthrough and the boost to magic has made wizards pretty good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not sure why someone would play empire in tw2 when tw1 still exists.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

maybe they want to conquer ulthuan as the empire idk, why you gotta be a hater

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Panfilo posted:

I get a kick out of the empire dilemma on whether or not to reveal Skaven to the populace.

:v: Nope no Skaven here uh uh those creatures skittering around at night? Just ah, really hairy goblins yeah"

I think the idea is that people understand that rat people exist but they just think they are weird beastmen, it's the whole underempire thing and the weird science people think is a myth.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

sassassin posted:

Default magic is improved, there are ui and mechanic changes, and the game looks much better with new lighting.

It's kind of a shame how Karl Franz went from the boss to a bitch though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ammanas posted:

Default magic is improved, there are ui and mechanic changes, and the game looks much better with new lighting.

It's kind of a shame how Karl Franz went from the boss to a bitch though.

Karl wasn't really good even in 1. He's been buffed significantly in 2 even, humans are just kind of poo poo overall as duelling.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nah Karl was good in campaign with foundation updates. With extended skill mods he was godly. Boris Todbringer is pretty good still.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ammanas posted:

Nah Karl was good in campaign with foundation updates. With extended skill mods he was godly. Boris Todbringer is pretty good still.

I mean, he's still fine in campaign? Probably better than in 1 overall.

And Boris really isn't great anymore. Dragons and Wyverns being actually good means lovely humans on Griffons get pasted pretty hard by just about everyone now. RIP Empire being king of the air.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

sassassin posted:

What are the vanilla caps on resistances?

90 and -100

The Butcher posted:

So I did a dwarf campaign in the first game, and have just finished a dark elf one in the second. Thought the over the top evilness of them was pretty hilarious.

Reckon I'll give the mortal empires campaign a swing for the next playthrough... Any recommendations on what would be the most fun/different feeling race to play as?

VC or Skaven, although it's a relatively similar start position to dorfs if you're not going Skrolk.

I think ME Skrolk doesn't spend a thousand years in dino hell, so there's that. Maybe only 50 years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Butcher posted:

I think Von Carstein or vanilla VC is the most fun campaign in ME. You can go wacky and have loads of vampire heroes with Isabella that can beat virtually anything. Your lords and heroes are good at whatever you want them to be good at from generalship, magic or combat. The VC army choices are great fun and play in a very interesting ways compared to the more Napoleonic races you've played (ranked soldiers and ranged). VC have no artillery or ranged attacks outside of magic or dragon breath and rely on massed ranks of chaff, powerful vampire fighters, magically supercharging your forces and having a great complement of monsters and (probably more importantly) flyers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I get a kick out of the empire dilemma on whether or not to reveal Skaven to the populace.

:v: Nope no Skaven here uh uh those creatures skittering around at night? Just ah, really hairy goblins yeah"

Is that a new random event for empire? what are the effects?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
VC it is then for the next run, thanks gents.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sassassin posted:

TW2's agent and magic systems are so much better than unmodded TW1's that it's almost a joke. You basically pick between lovely Norsca(TW2) or lovely Game Systems(TW1).

I think it's easier to fix TW2's pain points relatively cleanly with mods than it is to fix TW1's, and TW2 lets you fight elves and ratmen, so there you go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kanos posted:

TW2's agent and magic systems are so much better than unmodded TW1's that it's almost a joke.

The interface and stuff feels better too. I tried playing Empire in TW1 due to frustration with Varg and dwarfs ram raiding their way into all my provinces, but I didn't enjoy the look and feel of the game as much as in ME.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

About the only thing i dislike about 2s interface is it still pops way too much useless information up on your screen (ie enemies killed in battles, items gained, settlements beseiged), and the dismiss button has varying heights so you have to chase them away.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is that a new random event for empire? what are the effects?

From what I remember, admitting Skaven exist gives you a small public order penalty but a bonus vs Skaven. If you deny they exist then you take a huge hit to your army's morale if you fight Skaven.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

About the only thing i dislike about 2s interface is it still pops way too much useless information up on your screen (ie enemies killed in battles, items gained, settlements beseiged), and the dismiss button has varying heights so you have to chase them away.

I wish it would go back to showing losses as well as kills so you could easily see how much friendly fire killed.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I really want to be able to reserve parts of the move bar, I'm not sure if I just moved slightly before releasing r click but I've definitely seen 26% or whatever left only to be locked out of encamp/ambush when the move is done.

Also a change mods option at the start, it's annoying as hell to have to restart if I realise slightly too late that my game isn't going to load or I dint have stuff I'm trying to test active

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish it would go back to showing losses as well as kills so you could easily see how much friendly fire killed.

Doesn't it show losses on one of the post-battle screens? But a specific FF thing would be nice.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Started a Clan Pestilens campaign tonight, and about 12 turns in, Clan Mors declares war on me and starts taking some ruins south of my starting location I hadn't been to yet... They haven't done anything aggressive to me (they seem to be bee-lining for Teclis) But man, this is my 3rd Vortex campaign and I've never seen something like that.

Also, I got to the point where I could finish the Staff of Corruption quest for Skrolk. You know, the quest battle where A bunch of dinosaurs Ambush you from the Jungle a couple minutes after you start.

At this point in the game, my army is like 80% Clan rats with my most advanced units being my starting Plague Monks and Catapult.

My full stack which had at this point been running over everything I'd seen so far suddenly was completely destroyed by like 3 Feral Cold Ones and 1 Carnosaur.

I restarted and set my plague monks and the few Clan Rats with Spears I had to meet the dinosaurs, but by the time I even remotely get them under control, the whole rest of the Lizardmen army is bearing down on me.

Oops.

This is my first time playing Skaven and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I be just waiting on this quest battle until I have better anti-large? And what does that look like for Skaven? Storm Vermin with Halberds?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pyronic posted:

This is my first time playing Skaven and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should I be just waiting on this quest battle until I have better anti-large? And what does that look like for Skaven? Storm Vermin with Halberds?

Skaven lightning arty is baller. Storm vermin are your reliable front line troops but you can also use globadiers to obliterate large targets.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Pyronic posted:

https://youtu.be/OXQwx1EolD8

That's the basic idea of it, although the player mismanages and suicides some clanrats at the end there.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Poison wind globadiers (very specifically poison wind, not death globe) are the best skaven anti-large to deal with single unit monsters. Massed skavenslave slingers can do some damage as well. Lightning cannons aren't that great against the single target jerks, considering they'd have a better opportunity cost result from blasting elite infantry.

Against massed stacks of monsters, even halberd stormvermin will get bowled over and destroyed too quickly to do any damage. You need that ranged to focus them down one by one.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 7, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Poison wind globadiers (very specifically poison wind, not death globe) are the best skaven anti-large to deal with single unit monsters

to add to this, it's nearly 60 AP damage per globe. this will also 2-shot most of the cav

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The main issue with globadiers v big monsters, tho, is that monsters can often just wade their way though your rats and start loving up your globes and there's not much you can do to stop them. Slingers have enough range to them so you can put more chaff in their path and bog them down, and gutter runners can just dart away and continue tossing poo poo at them, but globadiers are kind of slow and dumb about not getting eaten by a t rex or dragon or what have you. Their tiny range also means if you don't put them on guard mode they like to run into things that murder them very quickly. They're still the best anti-large the skaven have by far, though, just be aware that if anything gets in your backline you will be unhappy, and even the AI sometimes gets enough of a clue to drop giant monsters into your backline. Keep a reserve of infantry to respond to the inevitable hole blown into your frontline, or at least as something for your doddering dumbo fat rats to waddle behind.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 7, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This might sound odd but I use rat ogres to tie down enemy monsters then I throw globes at them. Big poo poo dies incredibly quickly to the frenzied armour piercing and globes, plus they can't easily bowl over rat ogres.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The main issue with globadiers v big monsters, tho, is that monsters can often just wade their way though your rats and start loving up your globes and there's not much you can do to stop them. Slingers have enough range to them so you can put more chaff in their path and bog them down, and gutter runners can just dart away and continue tossing poo poo at them, but globadiers are kind of slow and dumb about not getting eaten by a t rex or dragon or what have you. Their tiny range also means if you don't put them on guard mode they like to run into things that murder them very quickly. They're still the best anti-large the skaven have by far, though, just be aware that if anything gets in your backline you will be unhappy, and even the AI sometimes gets enough of a clue to drop giant monsters into your backline. Keep a reserve of infantry to respond to the inevitable hole blown into your frontline, or at least as something for your doddering dumbo fat rats to waddle behind.

A unit or two of Rat Ogres as a second line(i.e. charging in behind the fodder) will provide enough mass to prevent monsters from simply wading through to your globes and also do relatively respectable amounts of damage in the process.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm just wary about using Rat Ogres to tie large targets up because they'll be catching poison globes with their faces at the same time. And they're much more valuable than Clanrats, Moulder charges a mint!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my issue with rogers are that moulders building doesn't unlock other building chains units, doesn't give a hero, don't really give a fun side perk that I remember, and take more than a turn to recruit. and when i do get them, they tend to get killed and then just replaced with skavenslave spears or something else on hand. their tech/skill boost stuff also only impacts themselves and abominations so i tend to focus elsewhere.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 7, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rat Ogres are pretty tough boys, so a little friendly fire isn't going to wipe them out. It's pretty hard for Rat Ogres to get wiped out completely unless you blunder them into the range of massed enemy missile fire because they're quite fast and get Scurry Away bonuses when they're fleeing. Don't think of them as more expensive than Clanrats, think of them as cheaper than Stormvermin.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's not just a little friendly fire, it's friendly fire with projectiles explicitly designed to kill big boys like them though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

It's not just a little friendly fire, it's friendly fire with projectiles explicitly designed to kill big boys like them though.

Worrying about friendly fire?

What kind of skaven are you?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Let's get crazy.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/938785348506865664

https://t.co/5beVlzvlbr

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Obviously Yay Free Content, goes without saying, etc etc

However I really wonder how much time and effort this took, and how many resources could have been diverted into dealing with the core issues of ME and Game 2 overall. :/

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
So I just did a ME campaign as wood elves and they seem...broken. By the time I'd taken control of the forest between hero and lord skills and other bonuses my troop replenishment was so high that I could basically refresh an entire army in a single turn regardless of where they were. As long as a unit survived the battle then it was full strength next turn. The other thing was raze bonuses - a large city was giving me 70-100k to raze and can then just be colonized that turn. As long as their stack is more than a turn away it doesn't matter that it depletes your army to settle it because it'll be back at full strength in one turn. This led me at one point to be simultaneously pushing the island with 3 stacks, crushing through VC with two others (plus my good friends the dwarves and empire), and pushing southward through the badlands with two more. My income at one point was -15k but it didn't matter because my treasury was over 400k.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Xae posted:

Worrying about friendly fire?

What kind of skaven are you?

Listen, Rat Ogres cost a pretty warp token, you gotta order them custom from Hell Pit and shipping's a bitch

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Obviously Yay Free Content, goes without saying, etc etc

However I really wonder how much time and effort this took, and how many resources could have been diverted into dealing with the core issues of ME and Game 2 overall. :/

shut the gently caress-gently caress up

LOW GRAV MAX SPELL RADIUS FINAL DESTINATION

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

tehllama posted:

So I just did a ME campaign as wood elves and they seem...broken. By the time I'd taken control of the forest between hero and lord skills and other bonuses my troop replenishment was so high that I could basically refresh an entire army in a single turn regardless of where they were. As long as a unit survived the battle then it was full strength next turn. The other thing was raze bonuses - a large city was giving me 70-100k to raze and can then just be colonized that turn. As long as their stack is more than a turn away it doesn't matter that it depletes your army to settle it because it'll be back at full strength in one turn. This led me at one point to be simultaneously pushing the island with 3 stacks, crushing through VC with two others (plus my good friends the dwarves and empire), and pushing southward through the badlands with two more. My income at one point was -15k but it didn't matter because my treasury was over 400k.

There's some really weird poo poo going on with post-battle replenishment or replenishment in general. My DE campaign was the same: between taking slaves and Death Hags, I had near-full replenishment between each battle, let alone each turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I can't wait to make my PC melt through the floor by pitting two all Skavenslave armies against each other at max unit size and dropping a Vortex in the middle.