Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stop trying to make Anole and Rockslide happen, they're not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Never, I am 100% prepared to die upon that hill. If nothing else, they deserve to be full-on, no-poo poo X-Men. Also, when did they de-age? (After that pointless arc was immediately forgotten, I know.)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

rantmo posted:

I think he got his soul back but now can't die because he escaped from heaven. He's my favorite X-Man of all time but even I can't be arsed to keep up with that stupid plot thread.

That ridiculous scene in Gold where he gets beaten to "death" by a mob of fearful New Yorkers who think he's a demon (and for some reason doesn't teleport away) and then is angstily like, "Heaven will not accept me...I cannot die..." is just the blurst.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Android Blues posted:

That ridiculous scene in Gold where he gets beaten to "death" by a mob of fearful New Yorkers who think he's a demon (and for some reason doesn't teleport away) and then is angstily like, "Heaven will not accept me...I cannot die..." is just the blurst.

I seem to remember there being too other options...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Android Blues posted:

Hasn't he been on TV?

What are they doing with Armor lately?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

rantmo posted:

Never, I am 100% prepared to die upon that hill. If nothing else, they deserve to be full-on, no-poo poo X-Men.

You have my sword.

IUG fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 15, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-Men Red should be a team of young leftist radicals who fix brake lights and punch local nazis.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Skwirl posted:

Were they ever on the same team between Claremont leaving and Grant Morrison's New X-Men? I know very little about that era but it spans most of a decade.
Very briefly after Excalibur ended, but on different squads I think, and even then, Kurt left the team again during the Six-Month Gap between X-Men #99 and #100, and Jean left the team for a while after The Twelve storyline.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

Hasn't he been on TV?

It's during the Secret Empire crossover where New York is in the Darkforce Dimension and so is actually full of real demons. It still feels like an ancient story beat, and the fact that he doesn't just teleport away from the mob of unarmed and unpowered humans makes it feel even cheaper.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Squizzle posted:

X-Men Red should be a team of young leftist radicals who fix brake lights and punch local nazis.

I'd actually read the hell out of an X-Men book where they're specifically the sort of "local superheroes" you sometimes see in the real world.

This issue, young Jean Grey spends the evening walking college students home from the clubs after midnight! Thrill as Rockslide helps an old woman with her groceries!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Young Jean Grey "Hey, did you know your boyfriend's gay? And he thinks your tacos are the worst. Anyway, glad we got you home safe."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wanderer posted:

I'd actually read the hell out of an X-Men book where they're specifically the sort of "local superheroes" you sometimes see in the real world.

This issue, young Jean Grey spends the evening walking college students home from the clubs after midnight! Thrill as Rockslide helps an old woman with her groceries!

That's part of why I loved the latest Ms Marvel two-parter - it's not a fight against some dumb villain, it's not stopping a bomb going off that will tear open a rift in space-time and swallow New Jersey, it's just two brave kids teaming up to stop a runaway train. More of that please.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They already happened. It was great; they never should have stopped.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Covok posted:

I seem to remember there being too other options...

That's actually a really novel form of immorality: barred from heaven, but too holy for Hell.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Squizzle posted:

Marvel tried that and it was called Champions, so I guess that finger of the monkey's paw is already curled up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wiegieman posted:

Marvel tried that and it was called Champions, so I guess that finger of the monkey's paw is already curled up.

I love Mark Waid and hope he continues to write amazing comics, but that book probably should be written by someone under the age of 50.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

I love Mark Waid and hope he continues to write amazing comics, but that book probably should be written by someone under the age of 50.

Yeah, it says a lot about who writes books especially comics that I've never seen anyone betray the real Millennial experience, according to me: working really really hard to make next to nothing at a lovely job while every single benefit that your previous generation enjoyed is slowly taking away from you and locked off because of greed until you're 24 without a kid or a house or a car and feel lucky that at least you're not working part time on minimum wage as you contemplate how to spend your 20K a year without losing your apartment.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Covok posted:

Yeah, it says a lot about who writes books especially comics that I've never seen anyone betray the real Millennial experience, according to me: working really really hard to make next to nothing at a lovely job while every single benefit that your previous generation enjoyed is slowly taking away from you and locked off because of greed until you're 24 without a kid or a house or a car and feel lucky that at least you're not working part time on minimum wage as you contemplate how to spend your 20K a year without losing your apartment.

The Champions are all pretty solidly part of the post-millennial generation. I think most "name" characters in the actual millennial age range now were created before the real world millennials were born.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Larua's probably a twentysomething at this point. But maybe being a wolverine clone throws that all off?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Post-millenials, if you're the kind of old who cares about the distinction, were born in the mid-90's and into the aughts, so Laura could fit. Most Marvel characters nowadays are technically millenials in their twenties and thirties despite being created as adults in the 60's and 70's, so with sliding timescales it's really all moot anyways. In a decade or so I'm sure we'll see Tony Stark just casually mention getting cyberbullied in elementary school

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 22, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

At this point, I think Corsair was born after X-Men #1, and kidnapped by the Shi'ar about a decade or so after the comic flashing back to that abduction was published.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nuns with Guns posted:

Larua's probably a twentysomething at this point. But maybe being a wolverine clone throws that all off?

I got from the Team Up Issue that Kate and Laura are the same age.

There's a trailer for Return of Jean Grey on Marvels youtube channel, and its kinda interesting, in that a big part of it will be that so much has changed since Jean as died for the most recent time that her dealing with it will be a major part.

Though not really, because Logan isn't dead anymore.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nuns with Guns posted:

This very issue claims she's 20 (or reasonably close to that number). Also, this was one more new issue of Gabby not having a codename yet. The tension is literally killing me. Why the hell do I care so much.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

This very issue claims she's 20 (or reasonably close to that number). Also, this was one more new issue of Gabby not having a codename yet. The tension is literally killing me. Why the hell do I care so much.

She will be known as "All-New Wolverine" and it will be revealed she was the main character the whole time.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Covok posted:

She will be known as "All-New Wolverine" and it will be revealed she was the main character the whole time.

I, for one, would be entirely comfortable with this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Diet Poison posted:

You'll probably have to wait until X-Men: Red.

I'm on episode 75 of Rachel and Miles Xplain the X-Men, and it's helped me rekindle my love for Marvel's merry mutants. I recently picked up the Mojoverse Annual and the issues of New Mutants with the Beyonder. I really want a tablet, so I can just read everything on the cheap.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cable got a new artist starting with the Legacy renumbering and I can't stand their art.

Scribbly feet, bad proportions, lack of depth, incorrect foreshortening and perspective, etc. I think they're intentionally trying to ape 90s Liefeld artwork and that's terrible. The new storyline isn't anything to write home about either. I really wish Cable would get a chance to go solo instead of being saddled with members of X-Force all the time. :sigh:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah Cable started out fantastice and i immediately droooed it with that art change.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The X-Line in general has such lovely art and it's really undermining the writing, which is pretty decent. There are a ton of character moments this week that are clearly supposed to have body language involved in the storytelling and there's just gently caress-all on the page. Cable's art is loving atrocious, there's a certain brief pleasure in seeing Cable drawn in an inept, Liefeld knockoff style but that gets old immediately. Astonishing and Wolverine have good art at least, and Jean Grey and Iceman are fine, but christ how far the X-side has fallen in terms of art.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The artists on Blue and Gold change really often, probably because of the release schedule.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
All-New Wolverine was huge this week, continuing what is shaping up to be a big, big arc for Laura and Daken. Fantastic drama, and Juann Cabal is clearly having fun with his background touches in his issues. The 5 framed cat pictures in a dramatic fight panel were great.

As much as I enjoyed ANW, Gen X managed to steal the show for me with the lovely gay little mutants: Bling! and Mercury being a thing makes me so happy and Nathaniel and Benjamin are just so cute. I'm loving Jubilee and Chamber too, as well as Lin Li and Trevor's aloofness/awkwardness, plus Mplate continues to be really creepy. Christina Strain is writing the hell out of the book, and the creative team are backing her up with aplomb. Even Quentin is getting some tough love and emotions, which Strain goes into here with a really interesting take on him: https://www.cbr.com/generation-x-classic-characters-marvel-legacy-christina-strain-interview/

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So. Astonishing X-Men.

What are the odds that Shadow King actually has Xavier's mind chained up in his little astral parlor?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabbit posted:

So. Astonishing X-Men.

What are the odds that Shadow King actually has Xavier's mind chained up in his little astral parlor?
I'll just say I will be very, very surprised if it's not Shadow King now in Fantomex's body.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
"Lol oh yeah I've been impersonating Xavier since like Uncanny 280 dudes. Also I can't believe you bought that bullshit about Deadly Genesis, I totally conned you into that and hey check it out, everyone who can prove otherwise is dead. Anyway here's Xavier in the astral plane, he's actually getting on my nerves so I I dunno I'll just let him share Fantomex's brain or something. All right, later." would sure fix a lot for me, personally.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

“Also, I’ve had the real Cyclops locked in my basement since literally the minute after Whedon’s run on Astonishing X-men. Peace out!”

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rick posted:

"Lol oh yeah I've been impersonating Xavier since like Uncanny 280 dudes. Also I can't believe you bought that bullshit about Deadly Genesis, I totally conned you into that and hey check it out, everyone who can prove otherwise is dead. Anyway here's Xavier in the astral plane, he's actually getting on my nerves so I I dunno I'll just let him share Fantomex's brain or something. All right, later." would sure fix a lot for me, personally.

He's still got three right? they can pull both guys out no problem!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm sorry but are you suggesting that Cyclops...was wrong??
:mad:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone let me know how Generation X is doing now since the OP has me a little interested but definitely not wanting to dive in like 90s Generation X

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's still kind of finding its feet I think, but in a way that works, since the characters are all finding their feet too. If nothing else it's got a shitload of charm and a really good lineup. The art has been the weak point, ranging from the pretty-bad to the really-bad, but I think the writing and the characters overcome that enough to recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is the art 90's bad and is Jubilee still a vampire?