Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Speaking of CRTs the degauss button was a thing I never really understood but would push that button on my work monitors to hear the sound.

I remember there was a project review meeting for executives at Microsoft in the mid 90s that a coworker was in and they couldn't get the signal to the giant CRT monitor in the conference room working. While they were scrambling to fix it Bill Gates dryly suggested pushing the degauss button to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

He just wanted to hear that twonk-click like any other nerd :3

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why did degauss have its own button?

Who was loving their monitor up regularly enough that navigating the on‐screen menu was a big deal?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do you hate all other forms of fun as well?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I have headphones on and I heard the 15kHz signal quite clearly (and now it stirred up some pseudo tinnitus). Late 30's.

I thought that my hearing was worse than that. :thumbsup:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

Do you hate all other forms of fun as well?

No, but Sony does, and even their monitors had the button.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Platystemon posted:

Why did degauss have its own button?

Who was loving their monitor up regularly enough that navigating the on‐screen menu was a big deal?

If your monitor was hosed up enough you probably couldn't navigate the menu unless you knew exactly where the degauss function was.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A magnetized mask usually just made the colors funky, it didn't make the image unreadable.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

I remember there was a project review meeting for executives at Microsoft in the mid 90s that a coworker was in and they couldn't get the signal to the giant CRT monitor in the conference room working. While they were scrambling to fix it Bill Gates dryly suggested pushing the degauss button to fix it.

And did it work?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What DID degaussing do anyways? Whenever I had a problem with my monitor, that was always the first thing I tried but it never seemed to do anything, it was usually a different setting that needed fiddling with (even if it was just "Turn setting down by one, then back up by one") or a loose cable. What was such a major issue that it needed a dedicated button to fix?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The degauss button whacks alternating current into a coil that goes around the outside of the tube, to demagnetise the shadow mask (which can get partially magnetised, which fucks the image).

That PONK sound is the degaussing coil vibrating.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Has The Secret Life of Machines come up in this thread?

As a TV show it is itself obsolete now. Even Channel 4 wouldn't commission three seasons of a bandy-legged balding guy in a tweed jacket who does his own animations for the show, accompanied by his friend with less screen personality than the average YouTuber, shambling around his Sussex farmhouse, making homemade light bulbs or turning their lathes into fax machines. But that's what it is - the social history and inner workings of common domestic and office machinery, packed with all-too-real practical demonstrations, and all made with a delightfully unpolished charm.

Because it was made in 1989 to 1993 even the 'cutting edge' is now obsolete, such as the last days of 'click and bang' telephone exchanges, the latest in 4MB RAM and 105MB hard drive PCs, or electronic fuel injection. The entire VCR episode is now worthy of being put in a museum.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

evobatman posted:

Nope, nothing at all :(

I'm 39 and I can hear it but my wife who is 32 couldn't. We found another video with a range of tones and I stopped being able to hear it at 17 kHz and she loses it at 14khz. She loves concerts and I don't like them much so I'm taking that explanation.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Dec 7, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BalloonFish posted:

As a TV show it is itself obsolete now. Even Channel 4 wouldn't commission three seasons of a bandy-legged balding guy in a tweed jacket who does his own animations for the show, accompanied by his friend with less screen personality than the average YouTuber, shambling around his Sussex farmhouse, making homemade light bulbs or turning their lathes into fax machines. But that's what it is - the social history and inner workings of common domestic and office machinery, packed with all-too-real practical demonstrations, and all made with a delightfully unpolished charm.

Because it was made in 1989 to 1993 even the 'cutting edge' is now obsolete, such as the last days of 'click and bang' telephone exchanges, the latest in 4MB RAM and 105MB hard drive PCs, or electronic fuel injection. The entire VCR episode is now worthy of being put in a museum.

I loved it.
I think they did an episode on CPUs, it's magic.
Great description btw.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BalloonFish posted:

It has and it is a very easy youtube hole to fall down.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Wacky Delly posted:

It has and it is a very easy youtube hole to fall down.

Tell me about it - something in this thread made a spark in my brain a couple of days ago and I thought "I must tell them about The Secret Life of Machines!!!'. So today ('working from home') I had a quick look to see if any clips were on YouTube and, hey, the entire run is! So I've just finished watching Tim build a homemade fridge and Rex talk about the exciting life of fridge warranty repairs and it looks like I'll be working somewhat past normal office hours!

I don't think I've seen the series in about 15 years but I can clearly remember it on its original run, even through I was only about four when it aired. I just liked the cartoons and the fact that it had cars and weird machines in it at the time. But I really think it was this, combined with that at the same time my Dad began rebuilding a pair of 1940s Morris vans in the garage, which gave me my love of all things mechanical.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GutBomb posted:

I'm 39 and I can hear it but my wife who is 32 couldn't. We found another video with a range of tones and I stopped being able to hear it at 17 kHz and she loses it at 14khz. She loves concerts and I don't like them much so I'm taking that explanation.
I'm 40 and I could hear it clear as a belln icepick. Now I have a headache. :( My husband is going on 45 and is deaf (to some frequencies) in one ear, and he can hear it, too. I'm the concertgoer and loud-music-listener. :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh god I can hear it, but only at certain angles. At off angles it's silence, but my head wants to explode.

I didn't really hear it, but it felt like some weird pressure on my ears that was unpleasant. The 14kHz tone made my head feel like it was being torn in half.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Regarding this thread and sounds... (Link is at 2m34s if the embedding is not working right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgmzmw6_qE&t=154s

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ladron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RmuY-ufyhM

I kept waiting for it to start ㅠㅠ

My laptop audio is aliasing hard on this, there's the 15KHz tone but also a very clear tone at around... 2KHz or so?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm down to 70% hearing in each ear due to scarring on my eardrums but i heard that tone just fine...in fact, i hear that tone pretty much 24/7 and would literally kill to have it fixed

sounds like there's a monitor without an input connected turned on and sitting three feet away, 24/7

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BalloonFish posted:

Loved that show! I taped it off TLC before that channel went to poo poo. It looked they had about $50 to make each episode.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BalloonFish posted:

So I've just finished watching Tim build a homemade fridge and Rex talk about the exciting life of fridge warranty repairs and it looks like I'll be working somewhat past normal office hours!

I think Rex went on to be a big man in the UK Robot Wars scene until, surprisingly, he was tired of the lax safety regulations and gave up on it. The last thing I think of when I watch TSLoM is either of those guys giving two shits about safety.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Platystemon posted:

That’s about the highest tone YouTube will play anymore.

The 20 kHz tones no longer work, and no, it’s not (just) my ears that are broken.

A few years ago I played it at work and heard nothing. I cranked it and put my ear to the speaker and kinda sorta heard something and then the receptionist up at the front desk shouted "WHAT IS THAT NOISE?!?!" She was in her early 20s.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Checking in to say I'm in my late 30s and I would have punched a child in the face to make that sound go away

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Apparently I can still hear the 15khz tone, but only when I move my phone or head. If I sit still I can't hear a drat thing. I know I have hearing loss (Navy/MEPs) and I absolutely have tinnitus. That's really weird.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I can't hear it, but then again my earphones were literally $1, so it could be that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ladron posted:

Now why the gently caress did I click on that.

Zemyla posted:

I can't hear it, but then again my earphones were literally $1, so it could be that.

I was wearing Shure headphones and had the volume up.

e: Turning down the volume real low effectively makes it disappear and I'm pretty sure that's either Youtube or my computer doing something stupid.

ee: No wait I'd turned the sound off :doh:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Dec 8, 2017

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I Brake For MILFs posted:

Apparently I can still hear the 15khz tone, but only when I move my phone or head. If I sit still I can't hear a drat thing. I know I have hearing loss (Navy/MEPs) and I absolutely have tinnitus. That's really weird.

Its probably the doppler effect. As you move the phone (especially further away from your ears) the frequency that the tone is oscillating at is being reduced. If your phone is stationary then it sends the pulses from your phone's speaker at regular intervals, as the time it takes between pulses is exactly the same. But once you move the speaker, then the time between pulses is changes; thus changing a 15khz tone into something like a (I'll be honest, I'm pulling this next number out of my rear end) 10khz which is probably easier to hear.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BalloonFish posted:

Watching the lightbulb one, its amazing just how much of a game changer LED lighting has become over the last 5 years or so. We had (at least in Australia) the period where the downsized fluorescent lights became popular for almost a decade but still suffered from breakage and poor/shoddy build quality. Suddenly LED has become standard in a form that is just superior in every way to its predecessors. They are a magnitude more efficient, smaller to a huge degree if you so want it, available in every single possible colour just about and sometimes variable, and a longevity in the decades.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

Oh god, I can hear all of it and it's awful (33 here)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

ladron posted:

I have tinnitus in my left ear and it just sounds like a louder version of this

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

BalloonFish posted:

Tim Hunkin is still at it: http://www.novelty-automation.com/

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

poo poo, I could hear that loud and clear. Mostly in my right ear. But if I moved my head around it would fade considerably when I stopped moving again. Weird. 39 here, and thought my ears were more damaged from playing drums in small rehearsal spaces. Goddamn cymbals.

Strangely enough I do have an incessant tone in my ears but it sounds more like 16 KHz. And it's faint enough to not bother me until I think about it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Watching the lightbulb one, its amazing just how much of a game changer LED lighting has become over the last 5 years or so. We had (at least in Australia) the period where the downsized fluorescent lights became popular for almost a decade but still suffered from breakage and poor/shoddy build quality. Suddenly LED has become standard in a form that is just superior in every way to its predecessors. They are a magnitude more efficient, smaller to a huge degree if you so want it, available in every single possible colour just about and sometimes variable, and a longevity in the decades.

Until you want to dim your lights. Then you get to play the “Can I make it not flicker “ game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Horse Clocks posted:

Until you want to dim your lights. Then you get to play the “Can I make it not flicker “ game.

Yeah but that's America's problem. No-one else wants to dim their lights.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Flickering LED tail lights are the worst.

Only U.S. auto manufacturers seem to have this problem.

The car has a DC bus. There’s no excuse not to modulate the LEDs at kilohertz frequencies. You’re not saving pennies on components like you could with 60 Hz AC.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
This might be the right thread to get an answer, does anyone know why Japan is split between 50 & 60hz? I imagine that must have annoyed the hell out of their TV stations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

This might be the right thread to get an answer, does anyone know why Japan is split between 50 & 60hz? I imagine that must have annoyed the hell out of their TV stations.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2011/07/19/reference/japans-incompatible-power-grids/#.WipdzUpl-Uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tokyo imported AEG generators from Germany (50 Hz).

Osaka imported General Electric generators from the U.S.A. (60 Hz).

When radio didn’t exist, all appliances were imported, and the transmission lines didn’t extend beyond the cities, that was no issue.

By the time it became an issue, it was too expensive to fix.