Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
the bitcoin community are absolutely the embodiment of moving the goalposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

QuarkJets posted:

I don't see any posts that are mad at bitcoins, most of the posters are either buying/selling them or laughing at the dumb libertarians who constitute the core of the bitcoin community

e: The bitcoin mining thread has a guy who made his own milk crate out of thin pine wood in order to hold like 6 graphics cards that he planned on running 24/7 unattended with Nicehash, and then the Nicehash hack was announced. I pity anyone who can't laugh at that. Many of the people laughing at it have themselves pocketed hundreds of dollars running Nicehash.

This thread is basically a big hugbox of people actually making money on bitcoin while simultaneously laughing at bitcoiners (humorless dicks like Ham Sandwiches are self-excluded)

Here is a picture of the milk crate mining rig with the brand new 250 dollar graphics cards that he just ordered this week.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Should be online tomorrow

Less than 6 hours after this post, Nicehash, the cool goon-approved mining pool got "hacked".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

man how can that picture not put a smile on your face? That's like seeing groverhaus and being like "you people should stop getting mad at architecture"

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
There's a guy on r/bitcoin showing off his new car he bought with cashed out bitcoin. Amidst all the congratulations someone asked "hey do you know what the tax implications are for this?" his reply was basically "lol no, I should look into that"

Can't help but feeling a lot of bitcoiners haven't even thought about tax. And now they've shifted the goalposts and bitcoin has become a "store of value" and not actually a currency cashing out to buy anything is suddenly going to become a lot more fun!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sickening posted:

I am sure like a lot of other work places this dumb bitcoin stuff is all people talk about. Everyone has made all this money but nobody seems to have cashed out. I keep asking "Isn't that the point of risking the money, to cash out?" but everyone thinks they are smarter than system.

literally two-thirds of bitcoin "investors" haven't locked in a penny of profits

that's as good a properly random sample of American bitcoin holders as they could reasonably get, fwiw - funded by an interested company, but done by a proper polling firm and those are the questions

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

divabot posted:

literally two-thirds of bitcoin "investors" haven't locked in a penny of profits

that's as good a properly random sample of American bitcoin holders as they could reasonably get, fwiw - funded by an interested company, but done by a proper polling firm and those are the questions

this is good for bitcoin because FINALLY someone is taking this seriously

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

So Long Dental Plan posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

I've been doing it for months, made plenty, and will be paying income tax on it in whatever way HMRC desire. I don't want to get in the poo poo for it over a few thousand in unpaid taxes!

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Sometimes I remember the first bitcoin thread when it was like 9$ a bitcoin and goons were telling everyone to not buy into because it was a pump and dump scam. I could have been rich. Oh well life is good I praise the Lord for what I have. :)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I misplaced over 4700 bitcoins and I'm not sure where they went.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Devian666 posted:

I misplaced over 4700 bitcoins and I'm not sure where they went.

wow thats 59 million dollars. Oh well guess it wasn't meant to be.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pookum posted:

wow thats 59 million dollars. Oh well guess it wasn't meant to be.

I'm just doing my nicehash impersonation. They have no idea what happened, but they take security seriously. By seriously they mean they have no idea what they are doing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ohnonotme posted:

I've been doing it for months, made plenty, and will be paying income tax on it in whatever way HMRC desire. I don't want to get in the poo poo for it over a few thousand in unpaid taxes!

All in all paying the taxes on profits made from selling bitcoin should be extremely easy so long as you take notes. And you should take notes, right now if you haven't yet. Make a spreadsheet of your purchases and your sales, with dates and quantities and purchase/sale values. That's probably all that you'd need in the case of an audit to prove that your income was what you claimed it was, and I wouldn't trust an exchange to actually preserve that information in the 2-5 years that it may take for an audit to happen

I'm not an accountant or a lawyer, but this seems like common sense once you think about it and a lot of people seem to just not be thinking about it

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Yep, Etoro have a record of your transactions which I print out from time to time.
I think the problem is that the UK government haven't decided how to tax it yet - is it capital gains tax, if you own bitcoin?
Or if you trade CFDs and declare that, is it treated as gambling (which is tax free and doesn't even need to be declared)
The last directive I could find on bitcoin taxation was from 2014, and the directive is only valid for 6 months... I'll just declare it and see what way they want to treat it!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Are you a UK resident? A cursory google search shows that CFD income is taxable as capital gains, for UK residents

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ohnonotme posted:

Yep, Etoro have a record of your transactions which I print out from time to time.
I think the problem is that the UK government haven't decided how to tax it yet - is it capital gains tax, if you own bitcoin?
Or if you trade CFDs and declare that, is it treated as gambling (which is tax free and doesn't even need to be declared)
The last directive I could find on bitcoin taxation was from 2014, and the directive is only valid for 6 months... I'll just declare it and see what way they want to treat it!

yeah, basically: 1. do all your paperwork in good faith, and keep your records to hand in case HMRC get confused and you need to redo it. 2. you do have a proper accountant, don't you? For gosh sakes use a proper accountant.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

divabot posted:

yeah, basically: 1. do all your paperwork in good faith, and keep your records to hand in case HMRC get confused and you need to redo it. 2. you do have a proper accountant, don't you? For gosh sakes use a proper accountant.

Yes, I have an accountant, and keep all my documents etc. in a safe - I'm fine with paying CGT if that keeps me legal and out of court!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

All in all paying the taxes on profits made from selling bitcoin should be extremely easy so long as you take notes. And you should take notes, right now if you haven't yet. Make a spreadsheet of your purchases and your sales, with dates and quantities and purchase/sale values. That's probably all that you'd need in the case of an audit to prove that your income was what you claimed it was, and I wouldn't trust an exchange to actually preserve that information in the 2-5 years that it may take for an audit to happen

I'm not an accountant or a lawyer, but this seems like common sense once you think about it and a lot of people seem to just not be thinking about it
All the exchanges I've used will generate a .csv file with all your trades. Anyone using exchanges should download their trades for the tax year in case they get audited.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

oh yeah bitcoin is over 15k now lol

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
are the Illuminati buying all the bitcoins

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/evilseanbot/status/938226348161605632

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
BTC DOMINANCE: 63.4%

GET DOMINATED
YOUR'RE DOMINATED

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Looks like it might hit 16k today. I'm only now getting used to that 'just to scare you!' wiggle it does when it crosses each thousand barrier - but it still has my finger hovering over the "close contract" button every bloody time!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Short sell at 20k

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ohnonotme posted:

Looks like it might hit 16k today. I'm only now getting used to that 'just to scare you!' wiggle it does when it crosses each thousand barrier - but it still has my finger hovering over the "close contract" button every bloody time!

Who do you use for CFD trading? I was using Plus500 but the fuckers reduce your leverage and the amount of contracts you can have open when you do well as part of their 'risk management policy' (aka the 'gently caress you, we don't like you winning policy').

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Stupid question : Lets say I have 1 butt and sell it, but do not immediately transfer money to my bank. Due to the current 16k price, moving more than 10k into your bank at a time per month is BAD and triggers a whole ton of red flags. What unit of "stuff" does my sold butt reside in and where?

A) You're dumb, when you sell a butt, you can't hold the money before transferring it out of the exchange.
B) It's USD on the exchange, its real money, you can transfer it out ANYTIME!
C) It's not USD but "tethers" which is basically an IOU, all coin exchanges are solvent and will pay you!
D) Don't touch the poop.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

WalletBeef posted:

Stupid question : Lets say I have 1 butt and sell it, but do not immediately transfer money to my bank. Due to the current 16k price, moving more than 10k into your bank at a time per month is BAD and triggers a whole ton of red flags. What unit of "stuff" does my sold butt reside in and where?

A) You're dumb, when you sell a butt, you can't hold the money before transferring it out of the exchange.
C) It's not USD but "tethers" which is basically an IOU, all coin exchanges are solvent and will pay you!
D) Don't touch the poop.

From my limited understanding it's some combination of B, C, and D

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

WalletBeef posted:

D) Don't touch the poop.

The flag it triggers is called a CTR and there are tens of millions of them filed a year/no one cares. Trying to evade that or just getting unlucky triggers another, more important flag called an SAR. There are still a million of those filed a year as well/if you're not actually doing anything wrong nothing will happen, but don't be dumb and look guilty by moving $9999 at a time.

At any rate, the answer to your question is B on most US exchanges and C on most of the non-US ones*. D depends on how much you like being paid ludicrous amounts of money to take a ludicrous amount of risk.

*solvent until they aren't, if we're talking about not touching the poop you want to start by not touching the tethers

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Theophany posted:

Who do you use for CFD trading? I was using Plus500 but the fuckers reduce your leverage and the amount of contracts you can have open when you do well as part of their 'risk management policy' (aka the 'gently caress you, we don't like you winning policy').

Etoro. Been going for 11 years, regulated by the FCA, amd according to Wikipedia had 3 million accounts by the end of 2013. God knows how many now!

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Theophany posted:

One thing to note - if a company is within a day or two of an Earnings Release, they will limit leverage to x5 maximum. So buy the day before if you want to use x10 leverage.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Adar posted:

The flag it triggers is called a CTR and there are tens of millions of them filed a year/no one cares. Trying to evade that or just getting unlucky triggers another, more important flag called an SAR. There are still a million of those filed a year as well/if you're not actually doing anything wrong nothing will happen, but don't be dumb and look guilty by moving $9999 at a time.

At any rate, the answer to your question is B on most US exchanges and C on most of the non-US ones*. D depends on how much you like being paid ludicrous amounts of money to take a ludicrous amount of risk.

*solvent until they aren't, if we're talking about not touching the poop you want to start by not touching the tethers

Bitcoin: Teaching internet people about structuring one IRS audit at a time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
All these people are thinking they are getting rich off bitcoin and the people who run these bitcoin exchanges are just like...

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Who is going to want to spend a currency that inflates in value so quickly? So if it's not currency what is it?

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Edit - double penetration due to phone posting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
15k?

Wasn't it 10k last week?

I don't even.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nifft posted:

Who is going to want to spend a currency that inflates in value so quickly? So if it's not currency what is it?
Blocks in a pyramid

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Waltzing Along posted:

15k?

Wasn't it 10k last week?

I don't even.

Go to coindesk and look at the last few weeks. It's disgusting.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Nifft posted:

For now it's a way of making money.
Soon it will just be a Wikipedia entry with a link to "Tulip Fever".

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If bitcoin investing were a game it would be hot potato

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
1. Cleared Bitcoin futures contracts are coming soon.

2. Futures contracts are used to take large short positions.

3. Bitcoin is an illiquid special purpose vehicle with no default value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Rascallion posted:

1. Cleared Bitcoin futures contracts are coming soon.

2. Futures contracts are used to take large short positions.

3. Bitcoin is an illiquid special purpose vehicle with no default value.

You can also short Bitcoins with CFDs - you just hit "sell" instead of buy. Costs you the same, makes you the same amount of money as a rise.

And yes, I agree, Wall Street will probably be the end of Bitcoin.