Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

White walls and some vinyl stickers in green or Spanish tile to cover that backsplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Southern Heel posted:

I will need redecorate my whole house. I took advice from this thread and I'm looking towards the natural colours of broadly these shades: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pr...arts-and-crafts

I'm thinking of the taupe, or pewter for the kitchen (shown as is, obviously):

It feels like the wood is such a huge part of the real estate (and won't have a tempering balance of white woodwork as elsewhere in the house) that I need to go with something relatively pale, especially given how dark it looks with the breakfast are through the arches lit up with sunlight constantly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. No other colours are planned, downstairs there are only two other rooms - a wide hall (a lighter shade of taupe) and a living-diner (maybe a light olive green)

I agree that you need a relatively light tone. I also know that every time I've picked out something I thought was relatively light it's been way way way too dark once I got a larger sample in the space. From that experience that pewter is probably going to look more like slate. You'd be surprised at how much color you will see in even something like the Hyacinth White. I personally would just lighten up that yellow a bit maybe with Ivory or go a little cooler Rhinestone if anything. The wood, counter, and backsplash are doing most of the color work in that room and you don't want to overpower or clash with it.

For sure see if you can get a few ounces as a sample to put on some scrap drywall so you can see it in your space and your light before committing to a color. That's what ultimately saved me from bad colors that seemed perfect in the store.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I kinda like it all as it is.

:same:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't like how the fridge is in another room, and it's not at all what I'd design if making a kitchen from scratch today, but there's also nothing wrong with it. Remodel when things are impossibly hideous or need replacement for functional reasons. I've always thought it quite wasteful this suburban upper middle class expectation to constantly gut chunks of your house of perfectly fine and functional stuff in order to chase trends.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The yellow reminds me of either a “secret garden” girls room for parents who think they’re being nonstereotypical but actually are.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Needs more plants, wicker, and macrame.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just put "room name" into Pinterest and find a colour palette/example I don't find hateful, then get my wife to reject it and find something nicer.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all - so you've all basically hit the nail on the head. The extension was there already, and the previous owners decided to make it a little bit more official without doing it properly (i.e. removing the wall) and as such it's halfway between. Certainly, not a great idea to have that fridge in the wrong spot. They went for budget options where possible and didn't have the best taste or use of funds (jacuzzi bath vs. cheapest shower unit).

I'm trying to keep the house as period as I can within reason, so very much looking for natural colours where I can. Ivory does fit, I'm just not sure I like quite how much yellow is there with the kitchen cupboards too. Tester pots to the rescue, I guess!

For my living-room I'm thinking of an olive:

Walnut floor, white skirting and picture-rail, and light/neutral sofas and medium wood dining table.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls of all ages, the color of 2018 has been announced. Hold onto your butts, because the year of our lord 2018 shall be colored...................

ULTRA VIOLET!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you all - so you've all basically hit the nail on the head. The extension was there already, and the previous owners decided to make it a little bit more official without doing it properly (i.e. removing the wall) and as such it's halfway between. Certainly, not a great idea to have that fridge in the wrong spot. They went for budget options where possible and didn't have the best taste or use of funds (jacuzzi bath vs. cheapest shower unit).

I'm trying to keep the house as period as I can within reason, so very much looking for natural colours where I can. Ivory does fit, I'm just not sure I like quite how much yellow is there with the kitchen cupboards too. Tester pots to the rescue, I guess!

For my living-room I'm thinking of an olive:

Walnut floor, white skirting and picture-rail, and light/neutral sofas and medium wood dining table.

So it’ll be.. an oliving room?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls of all ages, the color of 2018 has been announced. Hold onto your butts, because the year of our lord 2018 shall be colored...................

ULTRA VIOLET!

looking at dribbble this has been 2017's color though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cheese eats mouse posted:

maybe they liked it so much they ran it twice

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese eats mouse posted:

Dribble contributors are truly thought and style leaders...

I like how it's close to what will likely be a reasonable description of 2018 as a whole: Ultra Violent

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

GEMorris posted:

Dribble contributors are truly thought and style leaders...

I like how it's close to what will likely be a reasonable description of 2018 as a whole: Ultra Violent

I just spend time there to get inspiration for work :kiddo:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Here's a question. Say you had this space for storing clothes:

What would you do? Not what should I do, but what would you put there for you and why? Furniture, in-builts, shelves, rails, whatever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reduce my wardrobe to two t-shirts, get two hangers, use the existing hooks as-is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Awkward space with the door and skylight placing. I'd avoid wardrobes in that space, it might suit a desk/dressing table better?
E: not helpful I know but I'd find somewhere else or you'll waste the natural light.

If I had to use that space I'd use tall drawer units (1500 ish) and matching short wardrobe. Freestanding wood probably

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 8, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree it's not ideal. What's the right side look like?

If you do want to use it for clothes storage, you should put UV film over the skylight. It'll still let light through, but it should slow down damage, which will otherwise be ridiculous.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Reduce my wardrobe to two t-shirts, get two hangers, use the existing hooks as-is.

Those are cables for light fittings.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Awkward space with the door and skylight placing. I'd avoid wardrobes in that space, it might suit a desk/dressing table better?

For my own part, the desk is in another room. Three desks, in three rooms, for three purposes, in fact.

cakesmith handyman posted:

E: not helpful I know but I'd find somewhere else or you'll waste the natural light.

Anne Whateley posted:

I agree it's not ideal. What's the right side look like?

Thus. It's evening now.

The cables are for light fittings and are above head height. The point where the walls angle used to be a normal-height ceiling.

Anne Whateley posted:

If you do want to use it for clothes storage, you should put UV film over the skylight. It'll still let light through, but it should slow down damage, which will otherwise be ridiculous.

The skylight will have a blind on it and the windows will have proper curtains.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You know what's way harder than you'd think it'd be? Finding good nightstands that don't cost $500 each. You would think this wouldn't be terribly hard, but it is...

All furniture selections are up in the air since this will be for our new house that's done in February, so I'm open to suggestions.

We want an upholstered bed and have been planning on getting this one from West Elm as a King:

https://www.westelm.com/products/grid-tufted-upholstered-tapered-leg-bed-linen-weave-h1370/?pkey=cbeds&isx=0.0.1087

We'll have a dresser (or two) in front of the bed that will also act as a TV stand and won't be against a wall so the back needs to be finished, so far I've been planning on getting 2 of these because I love the color:

https://www.cb2.com/shop-blue-chest/s343600

I feel like I might be mixing looks too much with the wood on the bed frame and the metal on the dressers, but it might work?

Some nightstands I've been looking at:

https://www.cb2.com/linear-nightstand/s442973

https://www.cb2.com/shake-nightstand/s122041

https://www.westelm.com/products/logan-nightstand-natural-h2023/?pkey=cdressers-nightstands%7Cnightstands

Ideally speaking I'd like to keep it to under $1200 for the bedframe, $1000 for the dresser(s) and $600 for the nightstands. Obviously been mostly looking at CB2 and West elm so I'm open to new shops as well.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Amazon sells that literal bed frame for $150 doggo.

Just search "Zinus gray upholstered bed frame."

I mean, there are very superficial differences but I never notice them and the $950 dollar difference felt great.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Ouhei posted:

You know what's way harder than you'd think it'd be? Finding good nightstands that don't cost $500 each. You would think this wouldn't be terribly hard, but it is...

Ideally speaking I'd like to keep it to under $1200 for the bedframe, $1000 for the dresser(s) and $600 for the nightstands. Obviously been mostly looking at CB2 and West elm so I'm open to new shops as well.

Nightstands are a dime-a-dozen at resale shops, they don't require a moving truck to transport and usually aren't terribly beat up the way other tables/shelves would be. I recommend antique shops. My two nightstands (both hardwood, MCM pieces) cost $10 and $25, respectively.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thus. It's evening now.

The cables are for light fittings and are above head height. The point where the walls angle used to be a normal-height ceiling.

I would still do UV films. As you can see, light gets in around blinds and curtains. There's a reason we usually keep our clothes shut away in the dark. In daily sunshine, they won't just fade, they'll fade unevenly along the collars or arms where they're exposed, and it'll be visible and weird.

Since you're asking what I'd do, I'd paint the whole thing white, probably matte on the walls and thick glossy white over the brick (house centipedes are not my friends, sorry). Left wall, cute silver sconces, and jewelry storage flush against the wall. Long bar for hanging clothes along the back wall. I might consider making it a built-in with sliding doors in front of it, to keep the dust off. If so, another row of cabinets above for more closed storage of accessories. On the right wall under the windows, a desk-height vanity, probably also built-in, with storage drawers underneath and with real seating. Plants in the windowsills. Possibly privacy film on the windows, depending what they face. On the wall to immediate right of the door, tall cabinets for things like folded sweaters, possibly a loveseat or one-and-a-half chair if it fits.

e: somewhere in there, maybe in the middle of the left wall if it fits, something like a valet stand to air clothes or lay out tomorrow's outfit.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 8, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I would still do UV films. As you can see, light gets in around blinds and curtains. There's a reason we usually keep our clothes shut away in the dark. In daily sunshine, they won't just fade, they'll fade unevenly along the collars or arms where they're exposed, and it'll be visible and weird.

Since you're asking what I'd do, I'd paint the whole thing white, probably matte on the walls and thick glossy white over the brick (house centipedes are not my friends, sorry). Left wall, cute silver sconces, and jewelry storage flush against the wall. Long bar for hanging clothes along the back wall. I might consider making it a built-in with sliding doors in front of it, to keep the dust off. If so, another row of cabinets above for more closed storage of accessories. On the right wall under the windows, a desk-height vanity, probably also built-in, with storage drawers underneath and with real seating. Plants in the windowsills. Possibly privacy film on the windows, depending what they face. On the wall to immediate right of the door, tall cabinets for things like folded sweaters, possibly a loveseat or one-and-a-half chair if it fits.

e: somewhere in there, maybe in the middle of the left wall if it fits, something like a valet stand to air clothes or lay out tomorrow's outfit.

Perhaps some misunderstanding, I didn’t specify they had to be out in the open.

Not that it super matters but light doesn’t get in around blinds or curtains when it’s me doing it; I don’t sleep well otherwise.

Your layout does sound good but there’s definitely not enough room, unless you get a double I suppose. Bed size (length especially but width also) is very important to me so I’ve ordered a super emperor.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Amazon sells that literal bed frame for $150 doggo.

Just search "Zinus gray upholstered bed frame."

I mean, there are very superficial differences but I never notice them and the $950 dollar difference felt great.

I'll check it out.

vonnegutt posted:

Nightstands are a dime-a-dozen at resale shops, they don't require a moving truck to transport and usually aren't terribly beat up the way other tables/shelves would be. I recommend antique shops. My two nightstands (both hardwood, MCM pieces) cost $10 and $25, respectively.
The places in my area are always picked over by shops that buy them at that kind of price and then resell for some insane mockup. I'm also a lazy rear end and hate sifting through stores and like being able to just fine one and know I can just order it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You said it was for storing clothes, but it's actually a bedroom? :psyduck:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Please tell us it's like mid reno right now, because holy poo poo that's way on the too shabby side of shabby chic.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah that *corner* is for storing clothes. That's a bedroom.

Ouhei posted:

Please tell us it's like mid reno right now, because holy poo poo that's way on the too shabby side of shabby chic.

Very much so. That brick wall is staying bare (but will be cleaned up a bit). Lights to go on, paint to go on, carpet, curtains, blind for skylight, done, minus the furniture.

Edit: reminder that closets are very much not a thing in the UK, it is expected that you will store all your clothes in your bedroom.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress storing clothing, that looks like a great space for a model train room, that's what I'd do.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress storing clothing, that looks like a great space for a model train room, that's what I'd do.

Are you sure you don't want to use the 6x7m room downstairs for that?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

28' x 8' attic just for this, with next gen computer control BB.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

28' x 8' attic just for this, with next gen computer control BB.

We have a winner.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

What would you do? Not what should I do, but what would you put there for you and why? Furniture, in-builts, shelves, rails, whatever.

I would paint a scary face around that hole and dare people to stick their hands in. :spooky:

Wait, did you mean what would I do with the clothes? I dunno, probably get a dresser and a garment rack. It's sunny though, so maybe one of those enclosed garment rack closet things, my grandma had one in the spare room for storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Portable-Closet-60-inch-1807509/dp/B001ANZJPC
But the zipper looks annoying and i'd probably just end up leaving it open all the time which would look terrible and fade my clothes.

So if I could I'd get an armoire, I've always thought armoires were cool. Hitting up the second hand shops would be the best bet, one that's old and not in perfect condition would look great with the scary brick wall. Though if I couldn't find something reasonable at the second hand shops I'd probably some flat pack garbage with half decent reviews. This one, maybe: https://www.amazon.com/Sauder-411843-Palladia-Armoire-Cherry/dp/B005EGTUSS

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Those are cables for light fittings.

For my own part, the desk is in another room. Three desks, in three rooms, for three purposes, in fact.

Thus. It's evening now.

Wardrobes against the wall on the right in this picture, bed centred on the wall under the skylight, would that fit?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would line up 2-3 increasingly spooky armoires/wardrobes/standing closets, one for fancy things, one for everyday things, and one for unknown things with a chain around the handles.

Edit: I have been converted to the common sense of storing underwear, socks and this week's pajamas in the bathroom/shower area.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Disappoint children by having a huge wardrobe that doesn't lead to a magical land.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Disappoint children by having a huge wardrobe that doesn't lead to a magical land.

Well, you could cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe and put it in front of an open window ...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Edit: I have been converted to the common sense of storing underwear, socks and this week's pajamas in the bathroom/shower area.

Talk me through this one. So you walk into the bathroom, take off your jammies and put them in a drawer or whatever, have a shower etc, and then put on pants, grab some socks and I guess sit on the toilet to put them on? Then walk in pants and socks back to the bedroom or other clothing storage unit to finish getting dressed.

OK I get the pants I suppose if you're in a social/familial situation where pants are cool but junk is not, why bother with socks? Why bother with pants if you're single / a couple?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Like most houses here, our bathroom/shower/washer is downstairs and the bedrooms are upstairs. We reuse pajamas and jeans for few days so they stay on a shelf by the shower, and we grab shirts from our bedroom as needed. The washer is in the bathroom so we can just take off everything and throw it in the basket.
But we line-dry our laundry and it gets sorted upstairs... it makes sense, I promise, come visit <3

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Like most houses here, our bathroom/shower/washer is downstairs and the bedrooms are upstairs. We reuse pajamas and jeans for few days so they stay on a shelf by the shower, and we grab shirts from our bedroom as needed. The washer is in the bathroom so we can just take off everything and throw it in the basket.
But we line-dry our laundry and it gets sorted upstairs... it makes sense, I promise, come visit <3

Hm. That could work. I think less so for me because my bathrooms are tiny and dressing in there is more awkward than the bedroom so I'll probably stick with the traditional bath robe / dressing gown when not just wandering around rear end out.

If I'm ever in the Japans I'll stop by and see this fancy life :)