Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

It could, but what if someone opened and closed the door? A->Open, B->Open (yay, it's open), A->Close, B->Move (wtf door is closed). As soon as you any non-trivial latency you get conflicting states, which can cause glitches, rubberbanding and all kinds of annoyance.

It's all up to the server to be the arbiter of hilarity. Let's take the case of Spergs A, B, C.

• A does an 'open', which gets sent to the server

• Server, performs 'open', then tells Spergs A-B who are connected, that 'open' just happened

• Spergs A-B see the door open

• For some reason, C never gets the message from the server, and still sees the door closed. So he does an 'open'.

• GOTO #1, only this time C sends 'open', to which the server replies "gently caress you, it's already open"

#5 is where things get dicey - and hilarious. Does the server tell C that the door is already open? Or does it check first to see if it's open, then tells C it's open; and if it's not (because it closed after A-B went through) just open it again?

They're never - ever - going to get doors and elevators to work correctly in this game. Like ever. Handling things like this, in which the server is the arbiter, is one of the most difficult things to get right. It's not about actually doing it btw, because it's just an instruction sent to the server, it's about the timing of it all, as well as maintaining an accurate "state" for the entity (door, elevator etc).

Don't worry though, the server mesh + bind culling + serialized variables + fairy dust + dragon cum is going to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

PederP posted:

It could, but what if someone opened and closed the door? A->Open, B->Open (yay, it's open), A->Close, B->Move (wtf door is closed). As soon as you any non-trivial latency you get conflicting states, which can cause glitches, rubberbanding and all kinds of annoyance.

This brings to question how Blizzard does it, because I don't seem to ever see this problem in WoW.

I assume know it involves invisible bunnies somehow.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

This brings to question how Blizzard does it, because I don't seem to ever see this problem in WoW.

I assume know it involves invisible bunnies somehow.

How many player-initiated environmental changes does WoW actually have? It's been a while, but I don't remember a whole lot of doors, and the elevators were not player-controllable when I played.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
There are some player-controlled doors and other associated doohickeys. Namely quest objects, or at least the ones that disappear after someone else loots/uses them. Most recent such objects are personal and only vanish when you, personally interact with them.

Also yeah, elevators are never player controlled last I checked. In fact, the most recent elevator I've seen kills you if you stand under it, rather than letting you clip through it. It's a whole new breed of elevator boss.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadowlyger posted:

There are some player-controlled doors and other associated doohickeys. Namely quest objects, or at least the ones that disappear after someone else loots/uses them. Most recent such objects are personal and only vanish when you, personally interact with them.

Also yeah, elevators are never player controlled last I checked. In fact, the most recent elevator I've seen kills you if you stand under it, rather than letting you clip through it. It's a whole new breed of elevator boss.

It was a great troll killed half the raid the first time everyone laughing their rear end off. Now its a game to swapblast people under it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Ahahaha. Maybe they are actually real masochists? That should explain a lot.

Like you're getting three frames a second in your chariot that doesn't let you see a loving thing, the chariot you spent a shitload of money on, after you decided that the cockpit view was fidelitious enough.

If you keep watching he gets his mission crate on, copes with the freezes and then something/someone starts attacking his ship so he's got to run to the pilot seat and engage ship combat mode. He gets more and more annoyed until he gives up and says I'm going outside to have a cigarette. >$2500 well spent.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I enjoy games at one second per half frame. Makes me feel like I'm on a high dose of ketamine.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC48cDH9prA&t=183s

:gary:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's all up to the server to be the arbiter of hilarity. Let's take the case of Spergs A, B, C.

• A does an 'open', which gets sent to the server

• Server, performs 'open', then tells Spergs A-B who are connected, that 'open' just happened

• Spergs A-B see the door open

• For some reason, C never gets the message from the server, and still sees the door closed. So he does an 'open'.

• GOTO #1, only this time C sends 'open', to which the server replies "gently caress you, it's already open"

#5 is where things get dicey - and hilarious. Does the server tell C that the door is already open? Or does it check first to see if it's open, then tells C it's open; and if it's not (because it closed after A-B went through) just open it again?

They're never - ever - going to get doors and elevators to work correctly in this game. Like ever. Handling things like this, in which the server is the arbiter, is one of the most difficult things to get right. It's not about actually doing it btw, because it's just an instruction sent to the server, it's about the timing of it all, as well as maintaining an accurate "state" for the entity (door, elevator etc).

Don't worry though, the server mesh + bind culling + serialized variables + fairy dust + dragon cum is going to fix it.

Chrisco Roberto just needs do a few late night coding sessions and he's magic fingers will layer on the needed fidelity and really open the pipelines and all will be good in the 3.0 baby jesus patch. :grin:

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Shadowlyger posted:

You must not have ever raided the Night Hold with a group of trolls........because the door boss leading up to Star Augor is very real if you have a dick in your raid group.

Elevator's I can't comment on, I've clipped through all of them that I can remember, but I haven't been super active since Seat of the Triumvirate , so maybe something recently changed.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

STEPS TO REPRODUCE Get a Sabre Raven in patch 679448. Notice that it has no landing gear. Go to a planet. Give command to extend landing gear (though there isn't one). Land
ACTUAL RESULT Ship lands perfectly fine, hovering in the air on it's non-existent landing gear
EXPECTED RESULT Ship should crash land, as if landing gear were not extended

STEPS TO REPRODUCE started boarding animation for ship. before animation completes = pressed home key to open map
ACTUAL RESULT mobiglass opens a empty noninteractive map - this can not be closed . backed out of - boarding animation continues in the background
EXPECTED RESULT command to be que'd , animation to complete and command to then process

STEPS TO REPRODUCE Simply walk around ship and observe doors.
ACTUAL RESULT Doors partially closed. Varying degrees of gaps are visible.
EXPECTED RESULT Doors should close completely every single time without fail. There should be no visible gaps.

DOORS!!! :argh:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE Inside Grim Hex. Turn around until you see all locations on Yela
ACTUAL RESULT Markers for all locations on Yela are visible from inside Grim Hex. Not necessarily a bug, if it isn't, it still should be addressed.
EXPECTED RESULT Locations on nearby moons should not be visible from inside Grim Hex, same with Levski, and maybe other installations.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE spawn a Caterpillar with 280 SCU Food in Port Olisar Pad B-00, enter the Caterpillar, enter pilot seat, click Flight ready, lift off ( 50metter ), open Starmap F1 , klick on Yela and set course, push F1 to close the starmap, game stoped for 1 sec and I stand in the habitation area of Port Olisar. Caterpillar disappear but I have a Mark with - Caterpillar 0m
ACTUAL RESULT Teleport from Cockpit to Port Olisar
EXPECTED RESULT Starmap close and I looking for the mark of Yela and jump.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE Logout in Aurora bed. Log in. Start getting up from bed. During animation press shortcut for star map
ACTUAL RESULT Star map opens. When closing I found myself standing to left side outside of the ship.
EXPECTED RESULT Either suppress mobiglas / starmap during that animation or at least put me in front of the bed

STEPS TO REPRODUCE Approach an air lock from around a corner or afar (so that the indicator above the door is not already visible). When indicator becomes visible, observe it cycling through states
ACTUAL RESULT Indicator cycles through states when becoming visible
EXPECTED RESULT Spawn in correct state immediately

STEPS TO REPRODUCE Try to landing on ABCD 00 large Pad
ACTUAL RESULT Teleported inside station in block B in pilot pose. Cant stand up or something. Can to "ride" on rear end.. Can to click on ships terminal and spawn new ship and get in. Animation of entering in the ship (like Freelancer has) corrected character pose.
EXPECTED RESULT should be normally landing process

STEPS TO REPRODUCE was landing at deakins landed on the largest pad after i landed the ships inside textures changed to being iced over.
ACTUAL RESULT not sure how or why it happened it was like a fluke maybe i landed to hard ? i dont think so maybe i clipped through but either way after landing the ships interior became all icy
EXPECTED RESULT ships textures remain consistent

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Quotes include:
  • “There is no game.”
  • “It’s less than No Man’s Sky.”
  • “I don’t think this game is ever coming out. This is just a funding scheme.”
  • “Get out while you can.”
  • “For those of you thinking about getting into this game? DON’T.”
  • “It’s a straight-up scam!”
  • “We’re beating a dead horse here, but it’s five years now.”
  • “When do the smart people who contributed to it start to get annoyed? When do they take legal action?”
  • “What happens when someone dials the help line? Do they just laugh at you? Hahaha!”
  • “There has to be money laundering going on.”

When do the smart people who contributed to it start to get annoyed? When do they take legal action?

Coded messages :ironicat:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I mean, look at this bullshit:

130,000 hairs per square inch.

BANNED from working at CiG.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

The great thing about the ED vs SC war that is always ongoing is the fact that ED is getting old. It helped to propel its developers into new products, and continues to make them money just by being released and on the market. This money they get is not in the fashion of pre-orders or pledges or IOUs for future content, it’s for a purchase that Frontier can happily and without moral conflict add to their coffers as a good sale.

But yes, it’s getting old. It’s 3 years old now.

SC is not exactly in competition with Elite anymore. That train sort of left the station 3 years ago.

People may as well be saying “yeah I just can’t play Half Life 1 anymore because look at these SC screenshots.” Yeah no poo poo dummy. It’s an old game that if you liked it, you played it and probably got bored of it by now. It’s been out for 3 loving years.

SC crowds should be comparing it to Hellion or that Dual Universe game. These are two space games also currently in development that are the new “contenders”. Of course the teams are probably small indie teams not nearly as vastly international as CIG, and probably don’t have $160,000,000 in the bank, but there you go!

Go get them, Citizens! Show them who the best unreleased space game is this year! Reigning champion SC is here to take you on!

Quoted for truth. For me, Dual Universe looks to be shaping up to be the 'next' space game. I was so so skeptical of their single shard persistent mmo claims but holy hell they appear to be doing it.

Frontier have lost the plot frankly, it's sad to say that. I caught up on the discussions surrounding upcoming mechanics changes and it looks like they may as well give everyone a massive book of rules to follow, it's a mess. They're aging it faster by adding more and more outdated and clunky mechanics.

The time is ripe for new contenders and there are a few waiting in the wings - none of them are from behemoth studios and that's saying something.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FailureToReport posted:

You must not have ever raided the Night Hold with a group of trolls........because the door boss leading up to Star Augor is very real if you have a dick in your raid group.

Elevator's I can't comment on, I've clipped through all of them that I can remember, but I haven't been super active since Seat of the Triumvirate , so maybe something recently changed.

This is where MMO trickery comes in, in limiting the number of doors that have to actually function for everyone in the same way. Most of the time they're a cosmetic border to a scene change and the animation is to indicate that it's a door rather than provide door-like functions, like keeping things like gas in and out.

Actual functioning doors and elevators are kept to a minimum because they have to be synchronized to each client, and usually they're hidden around in instances that have a specific upper limit of people getting the message queue regarding the door.

So that's the client-server model of doors. It's separate, but related to the physical representation of doors being odd in terms that they wander, don't work and occasionally kill people.

All of that leads to one of my first questions I ask of everything is 'does it scale?'. When they do the bullshot walk through Olisar, how many people are they expecting to serve in that area alone? How long is the door cycle? How many people are you going to want to move through the lobby area?

The complete lack of any coherent answers there along the lines of the mechanisms that we've already seen is the thing that makes me skeptical of the whole project. They NEED to be faking systems because the fidelity that the thumb is looking for is computationally possible, but _massively_ limited by network. And don't just use the word 'mesh' and assume that there's magic. P2P complicates the issue even further than star topology.

SomethingJones posted:

Frontier have lost the plot frankly, it's sad to say that. I caught up on the discussions surrounding upcoming mechanics changes and it looks like they may as well give everyone a massive book of rules to follow, it's a mess. They're aging it faster by adding more and more outdated and clunky mechanics.

Today's clunky mechanic is tomorrow's evolution. Frontier's problem is they really need to supply more player agency to make it feel like more of a difference is being made. I have the same problem with flight sims, great sandboxes, but sometimes you need to be told what to do, other than just flying a beechcraft up and down the gulf of Hormuz. Eve itself is a bunch of the clunkiest mechanics and dumb loving timers in the world, but the player agency is deeply engrained in the thing. Slightly too much in places.

Elite is a big dead place, but that's like most single player games.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 7, 2017

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

Fuckin caught up with the thread.

Seems like "Holiday Sale" Ended on the Funding Tracker. So lets announce the winners!

[Winners are defined by the closest estimated guess]
Total Earnings in Holiday Sale: $7,848,797

THE TOP 3!
1. Sandweed 7.4
2. Sarsapariller 7.3
3. Tokamak 7.2

Consolation prizes : everyone who participated. (Until I run out of Steam Keys)

This just makes me laugh everytime: VealCutlet 48.9 million calories for lesnick that is.
Thanks all for participating. I'll be PMing the prizes when I get back from work.

I'd just like to thank no_recall for the copy of Monaco, although there seems to have been a mistake as it's quite good? Not sure it's an appropriate prize for a SC contest, but thanks all the same.

I'd also like to thank the Citizens for being so stupid as to come within 2 million dollars of my "I'll make a stupidly large guess for comic effect" entry. Keep doing what you're doing, guys.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I am the alpha in the past tense.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah, we're definitely the example of "toxic" you should be comparing the guy who wants to murder David Braben to lol :allears:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
We're toxic like that song by Britanny Spares where she is a flight attendant and no clipping through the cabin before the string section comes in and we all crash

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

If I'm eligible for a random code I'll pay the platinium upgrade, it will help hightax to buy a new tesla, his daughter's graduate studies and a new ship cause I know he is a filthy backer.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Yeah that's about the performance I've been seeing while in Port Olisar. That's why I've basically given up playing at this point. Every time you die or glitch you end up having to crawl back through that hellhole at sub-1fps.

You know I can sort of see why the issue council is completely ignored. Any dev would go completely insane trying to parse actual bugs from that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, we're definitely the example of "toxic" you should be comparing the guy who wants to murder David Braben to lol :allears:

I still think that's a troll account, I refuse to believe that is a real person.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

I still think that's a troll account, I refuse to believe that is a real person.

The thing is when you troll too long on the same subject, you really become what you first just trolled. Look at ManofManyAliases/Toast, at first he claimed to be a backer when he was just trolling and got nothing invested, now he is at -1k$ and still has 3k$ in it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daymun is for sure, but the other guy comparing him to the "SC refund guys" isn't

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

You know I can sort of see why the issue council is completely ignored. Any dev would go completely insane trying to parse actual bugs from that.

It wouldn't be a dev. If anything, you'd need to start a triage procedure to start sorting into the functional, graphical and network buckets so they could be apportioned to the subject matter experts, and I use that term loosely here.

After initial bucketing, there would be de-dupe - some things are the same bug from different angles - and prioritisation.

The wider issue is that they don't appear to have any good order about this because they've done a soft release without, it appears, a robust way of dealing with the sheer avalanche of bug reports from the well meaning. Not pivoting hard on that is going to cause consternation.

Problem is that you can't even make that assumption anymore. Edgelords increase to fit the available space. A bit like cats, but with more racism.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr.Tophat posted:

We're toxic like that song by Britanny Spares where she is a flight attendant and no clipping through the cabin before the string section comes in and we all crash

That remains one of the greatest songs of the 90s.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZuxwVk7TU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

Edgelords increase to fit the available space. A bit like cats, but with more racism.

:lol: Parkinson’s Law of internet trolls.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Archered from over at The Chaos Engine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I thought that bridge pic originated here?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

As it should according to the Dr. Smart's law.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't remember that. I suck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Codezombie posted:

I don't remember that. I suck.

Re-archered an archer.

That's ok, there are no rules in this game.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Zzr posted:

The thing is when you troll too long on the same subject, you really become what you first just trolled. Look at ManofManyAliases/Toast, at first he claimed to be a backer when he was just trolling and got nothing invested, now he is at -1k$ and still has 3k$ in it.

I never claimed to be something I wasn't. I'm a backer who originally pledged 8k worth of items, 4k were for friends of my org who have since paid me for those items. I offloaded around 1k in the grey market and now sit on just over 3k worth of ships. I know you guys have fun with the whole Toast bit - it's cute sometimes but mostly boring others. If I were Toast, I'd likely have much more skin in the game seeing as how CIG gets ginormous discounts on ships and all.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I never claimed to be something I wasn't. I'm a backer who originally pledged 8k worth of items, 4k were for friends of my org who have since paid me for those items. I offloaded around 1k in the grey market and now sit on just over 3k worth of ships. I know you guys have fun with the whole Toast bit - it's cute sometimes but mostly boring others. If I were Toast, I'd likely have much more skin in the game seeing as how CIG gets ginormous discounts on ships and all.

Which ships do you still own?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

I never claimed to be something I wasn't.
Objection! You keep claiming you're not Toast.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Reading about WoW and doors and poo poo. I haven't played the game in ages and I'm no programmer, but actual doors in dungeons that players can open can't be closed, right? And aren't they essentially just invisible walls that disappear when someone clicks on them? The doors opening is just an animation that has nothing to do with the invisible wall blocking players until interacted with, correct?

I seem to remember opening a doors and being able to clip through the doors as they're swinging open.

Anyway, if my filthy FUD about lazy, cheating coding is reasonably close to the truth it should be extremely easy to get working in an MMO environment since it's just something blocking the way until right-clicked. Since it can't be closed again it's just user to server to everyone else in the instance and then the game is done with it.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
MoMa is not Toast.
Also lol at what the rest of the game development community thinks of Star Citizen as evidenced on CE etc

Also what happened to 'Throw MoMa from the train-wreck ' as a thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://www.crytek.com/news/crytek-first-to-partner-in-new-crycash-cryptocurrency-launch

:toot: