Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:rip: Nth Doctor, Mikl

I just realized I accidentally unbookmarked the thread a month ago. And then this. :stonk: Farewall, Hiyo, thank you for being so full of greetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

This attack run is more costly than I would have liked.

This is better, but I'd like some actual hits please.

There we go!

The carrier picks off another ship.

Oh god, there are two of them!

So this is what it feels like to not have air superiority!

That was a painful day, and one of many to come I think. I'll get that convoy moving to give them a better chance against the torpedo bombers.

This could have been worse.

As the thread turns two, its time for the yearly what has changed since the LP has started chat.

It is never to early to learn.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Not gonna lie, I immediately started scanning your bookshelf to judge you.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

One would hope that you'd have gotten further in that book in two years.

Also, has Grey Jr gotten his divisional command in China yet?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

farraday posted:

Those are mostly the wifes books. I can take a photo of my bookshelves if you really want.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Grats on another year grey!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I can't wait for the inhouse WITP game in 8 years

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Oh wow, Grey. You look so much like my brother it's unsettling.

And yeah! Bookshelf pics!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Cute. Soon enough you'll be able to take him to museums and let him climb on tanks and planes and stuff.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Awww you guys are adorable!

So how much of that book have you managed to get across? :3:

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Those are some cleverly framed pictures to hide all your extra arms, GH!

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

It is never to early to learn.
Was this when it dawned on you to turn airframe production back on?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a day of infamy a pretty wild scene

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/938852566347210752

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Cute photo :3:
Congrats on another year, Grey.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

farraday posted:

Seriously? I just liked the cute kid. :3: Even if he no longer looks like he deserves the name SOVIET RESPONSE.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Five Japanese warships sunk in Battle of Leyte discovered

The Michishio, the Asagumo, the Yamagumo, the Fuso, and the Yamashiro

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
A year of change indeed.

We only really have one constant in our lives, and that's the Katori still being attached to an active battlegroup.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sounds fake. Since the Yamashiro and Fuso's's super structures are a 2.3 km high how could they not know where they sank for 70 years?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fuso was too beautiful to live. o7

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Fuso was too beautiful to live. o7

Truly a sight to behold.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Those screws will be stolen like 30 seconds from now.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

Those screws will be stolen like 30 seconds from now.

I was going to say... probably not a good idea to announce where the wrecks are. 200m is not far enough down to prevent the wrecks from being looted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lifting a battleship propeller from 100-200m deep requires specialized heavy sea lift craft and takes months of planning and effort. They're not going anywhere.

But yeah divers can totally get down there and loot other stuff from the wrecks. Although the news article only says the general region where the wrecks are located, not specific GPS coordinates.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Fortunate that the ocean is a big place.

Don't you need specialized equipment to get down to 200m, by the way?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Lifting a battleship propeller from 100-200m deep requires specialized heavy sea lift craft and takes months of planning and effort. They're not going anywhere.

But yeah divers can totally get down there and loot other stuff from the wrecks. Although the news article only says the general region where the wrecks are located, not specific GPS coordinates.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of thieves.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/16/asia/indonesia-ww2-ship-wrecks-disappear/index.html

I will bet you they will be gone in a year or two. This finding and announcement pretty much announced "THERE BE $$$$ HERE!"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Dance Officer posted:

Don't you need specialized equipment to get down to 200m, by the way?

Yeah. You're not gonna see recreational divers there, or more accurately since people often do stupid things, you're not going to see them get back to the surface. Even technical diving, which is one step above recreational but still not professional, doesn't get there. There are some techniques used by commercial divers that can get there, but even then it's fairly deep, and it's not something that involves just grabbing your drysuit and helmet and jumping in. It's probably going to be saturation diving, and that means you pretty much need an entire ship outfitted specifically for that. Mind you, that's not exactly my line of work, I'm just a schmuck who likes to look at fish from time to time, so I might be very much wrong.

I guess nowadays there might be unmanned vehicles that are cheap and sophisticated enough to do some of the work divers would normally do, though?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I was thinking of the Java Sea thing when I made the post. I can't find the number but I'm pretty sure that the Java Sea ships were deeper than these now. That battleship screw should be worth a pretty penny.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Java sea wrecks were at around 200ft, about a third of the depth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah, if nobody actively protects them, two years they could be gone. But it depends on how carefully they've protected the coordinates: in that CNN article I get the impression the exact locations of the ships were made public.

But to salvage the big pieces takes underwater shipbreaking tools and heavy lift.
These things:

e. Here's a smaller Korean vessel that does basically the same thing:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Ok, Ive captured Lunga and have some Seabees set in Strategic Mode in Noumea. When I go to load troops into a Transport TF with an AK, the only troops available are planes and an HQ. How do I pick up actual troops?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Woodchip posted:

Ok, Ive captured Lunga and have some Seabees set in Strategic Mode in Noumea. When I go to load troops into a Transport TF with an AK, the only troops available are planes and an HQ. How do I pick up actual troops?

You need an AP or xAP to load troops. AKs just carry cargo.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You need an AP or xAP to load troops. AKs just carry cargo.

Yup. The manual says AKs can carry troops but the one I have selected has 0 troop capability. Welcome to supply duty little dude.

e: adding AP or xAK still only allows me to select air units / HQ for transport.

Obv not working the right knob

e2: unit I'm trying to move is in a restricted hq, maybe that's the issue.

e3: DAMMIT, so political points can moved pull troops out of my rear HQ to the right spot.

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 8, 2017

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Woodchip posted:

Yup. The manual says AKs can carry troops but the one I have selected has 0 troop capability. Welcome to supply duty little dude.

It has zero troop capability because I'm guessing you haven't set up your supply chain to pull doorknobs for that fleet from the doorknob pool, or that you have allocated brass for bullet cartridges only.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Have you made sure that the troops in question are cleared for that theatre? Go in to the medical tab for the unit and make sure they have the relevant inoculations

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
If you're playing as Japan, your soldiers don't get any inoculations, but you still need to go to that tab and press the confirm button even if the inoculation queue is empty.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I know I am dealing with a grog game because I find myself unable to rule out that what should be obviously joke mechanics are not indeed actual game mechanics

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does Grey ever get access to the two I 400 subs? Are they any fun?

Is there any "experimental" weaponry that is modeled?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What do you think Tokyo Bay Fortress is?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mikl posted:

A clever and profound metaphor for mankind's hubris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Mikl posted:

A symbol of the duality of man?