Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Current Yomi is just SUPER lovely Asphodel only it's Yomi and there is nothing good about it. Freespawn oni in mountains and poo poo, better/more with turmoil and magic. So no more purchasing your poo poo oni, now they spawn randomly when and where you don't want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

no cavalry

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yomi has 75% income and doesnt get the good pretenders because racism. your commanders that can actually fight cant research, your research guys cant fight. yomi isnt allowed to build forts bigger than a palisade so anywhere except for their capital or a fort from an event or a fort stolen from somewhere else they can only recruit 1 commander point worth of commanders, meaning every single mage is str. you are encouraged to take a hot or cold scale to improve your freespawn which further fucks your income. you basically ahve to take turmoil to get any freespawn which further fucks your income. your commanders that can actually fight increase unrest which fucks your income, and also the commanders that can actually fight cant lead for poo poo so your troops have poor morale.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

yomi has 75% income and doesnt get the good pretenders because racism. your commanders that can actually fight cant research, your research guys cant fight. yomi isnt allowed to build forts bigger than a palisade so anywhere except for their capital or a fort from an event or a fort stolen from somewhere else they can only recruit 1 commander point worth of commanders, meaning every single mage is str. you are encouraged to take a hot or cold scale to improve your freespawn which further fucks your income. you basically ahve to take turmoil to get any freespawn which further fucks your income. your commanders that can actually fight increase unrest which fucks your income, and also the commanders that can actually fight cant lead for poo poo so your troops have poor morale.

In other words, the only way to play Yomi is to take all the luck scales and hope for the best. (It can make for a fun game, but :lol: don't expect to win, you'll only hurt yourself.)

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Libluini posted:

In other words, the only way to play Yomi is to take all the luck scales and hope for the best. (It can make for a fun game, but :lol: don't expect to win, you'll only hurt yourself.)

they nerfed luck scales too :boom:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can you boot strap your way into a gem economy and summon a real army?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
On Yomi? No. Or at least it would require having an innate AN to use N gems for Tengus as well as everything else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I did a quick test today with MA Ermor to see if the spawn rates had changed. I read something among the line of better spawns in forts (which imo implied worse spawns outside forts?). In any case, these are the results

Conditions: Small random map, starting provinces 6, Awake Earth Snake as Pretender (doing nothing in Capital), Scales neutral except Death3, Dominion strength 6, one year of turns passed:

Dominions 4: 215 units spawned in the capital, including 18 knights, and 43 princeps. Total spawns in the other five provinces: 135 .
Dominions 5: 211 units spawned in the capital, including 26 knights, and 33 princeps. Total spawns in the other five provinces: 173 .

Uh... I don't know about you, but it seems a buff to me.

edit: spawn in basic forts. Remember the basic fort in Dom4 is cheaper and need less time to build. 8 turns waiting for spawn in each fort:

Dominions 4.
Fort 1. 59 units. 11 ghouls. 9 soulless. 10 triarius. 11 principes. 9 velites. 4 legionnares. 1 knight. 4 longdead.
Fort 2. 58 units. 3 ghouls. 8 soulless. 3 triarius. 11 principes. 13 velites. 9 legionnares. 4 knights. 3 horsemen. 4 longdead.

Dominions 5.
Fort 1. 54 units. 5 ghouls. 18 soulless. 6 triarius. 3 principes. 7 velites. 3 legionnaries. 1 knight. 3 horsemen. 7 longdead.
Fort 2. 50 units. 8 ghouls. 13 soulless. 4 triarius. 3 principe. 5 velites. 1 legionnaire. 3 horseman. 14 longdeads.

It seems more chaff (longdead, souless) and slightly less Roman troops, in special less knights and principes. But maybe with the fort upgrade you return to similar spawn levels.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 7, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The game needs a musical chairs mode. Every X turns any player without a throne gets eliminated from the game, and a claimed throne despawns.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Demiurge4 posted:

The game needs a musical chairs mode. Every X turns any player without a throne gets eliminated from the game, and a claimed throne despawns.

This would be really cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

This would be really cool.

Yeah, I read it as a joke but after thinking five seconds more... it really would be a good game mode.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

uguu posted:

Jep.
Don't forget to set a password!

Two more people need to get their god in.
I'm trying to figure out who at the moment.

edit: Kremath and seetbro, just you remaining.
By the by Kremath, which nation did you sign up as?

Also I'm ermor on discord if you need me for anything.

uguu fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 7, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, I read it as a joke but after thinking five seconds more... it really would be a good game mode.

Yeah, but maybe set so the first elimination takes 2x or 1.5x as long as all the subsequent rounds.
Edit: or Throne defenders are weaker in this mode.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 7, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, there is so much poo poo in the high level spell lists. And I don't say that in the sense of 'good poo poo!', no.

I finished my MA Uruk game (SP), and in the last turns, I casted Call Abomination (Conj 9) to see if it was any good... nope. In fact hilariously they died in their first test fight against Gath doing just half a dozen casualties.
Somehow the spells in Research 7-8 are better than the ones in level 9, even if you need a ton of extra research points to reach the ninth level.

Abominations are actually good but you should use them as artillery not melee. They aren't something worth researching L9 expressly for. You should ask in discord or irc for the top tier spells though. Usually if you are going for 9s it's going to be one of the immensely powerful ones like Army of Gold/Lead, Tartarians, Wish etc

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New update, 5.06:

General
Could not enter 0 for Cave Clustering or Island Chance
Elixir of Life didn't work
Smoother font scaling for map province names
Commanders could lose their names and orders in multiplayer games, fixed
Help screen for Battle Orders
'r' will repeat last single round battle order
Shade Beasts killing size 1 units resulted in huge gods popping up
Changing resource multiple didn't work
Slightly reduced memory usage
Never use real texture compression on fonts
Prioritize steam key over manually entered key

RIP funny bug:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
You know what would be awesome? An internal sea map like in Civilization. Having only two natural avenues of expansion would force conflict, and the water would actually serve a purpose as a way to blitz someone else.

Maybe scattering level one thrones in the land ring, and then a level three throne at the center of the sea to fight over if there was a way to force that with the map creator.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Diogines posted:

There are a bunch of maps here, including some Dominions 4 classics.

Where is here

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

You know what would be awesome? An internal sea map like in Civilization. Having only two natural avenues of expansion would force conflict, and the water would actually serve a purpose as a way to blitz someone else.

Maybe scattering level one thrones in the land ring, and then a level three throne at the center of the sea to fight over if there was a way to force that with the map creator.

Those are the worst Civ maps because what invariably happens is that one person gets too much of an advantage and there aren't enough people able to interact with them to properly gang up on them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
How different are the underwater dynamics in 5? Has anyone played UW much yet?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Those are the worst Civ maps because what invariably happens is that one person gets too much of an advantage and there aren't enough people able to interact with them to properly gang up on them.

I mean that can happen on any map where people are separated by bodies of water or whatever.

Dr. Gibletron
Oct 27, 2010
Signing up on the brainwrinkle site as HUGEBUTT

I don't use Desura, but you can add me on Steam to verify that I've bought the game if you want

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I could have sworn Desura closed down ages ago.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Drone posted:

I could have sworn Desura closed down ages ago.

It reopened apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Still got two people who need to submit their pretenders for the Dom5 newbie game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was reviewing LA Eyrtheia, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

They are half-UW nation but... they are actually 'poor amphibian', so it isn't their strength, and it isn't like it's worth for them to go down the water because they have great units there (like LA Atlantis, Jomon or Uruk), their aquatic units are average. I imagine myself doing one UW fort to get the pearl cultivators and some extra gem income and not a lot else.

Their troops suck:
They have a pair fo militia level units.
They have a crossbow unit, but of inferior range than other crossbows, and we are in LA!. It's nice they can work UW, but only being even closer, the fact they aren't as good above water is a more important fact than the UW perk.
The sacred unit doesn't seem bad at first, with their awe and formation fighter, but they are very slow, high encumbrance and high resources, it's cap only, and their swords aren't anything special (it's nice to have something with magical weapons in case the enemy have ethereals, but it doesn't have any extra secondary effect).
They don't have any unit with a strong killing power.
You are left only with the Phalangites. Long Spear & Hoplon, Prot 15, Res 20, Formation Fighter. So decent, but as I was seeing they are lacking a hammer for this anvil. LA Arco has at least war elephants, cavalry, even the cerulan warriors.
And in addition, most units can only be recruited or in coastal forts or in UW forts, so be aware that limitation in the middle of the map, if it doesn't have enough sea.

I guess the answer is obvious.
You are left then with a single tactic: a wall of spears and princes/princesss with random magic boosted by mystic communions. Although it's kind of hard to plan what I will cast with the randomness. Some examples:
f2a1s1
f2w2e1s1
f1a1e2s2
f2a1w2e1s1
f1a1w1s2

Ugh, I hate having to think an efficient spell list for each mage, for a dozen of them. You can't really copy and paste the spell script with this variation.

At least in my test I saw that they start with a 3cmdr. points capital fort which it is nice and the whole 'princes kill each other' is pure flavor, I had a single (failed attempt) after 3.5 years, and I had been recruiting 1 prince and 1 princess continuously.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Turin Turambar posted:

I did a quick test today with MA Ermor to see if the spawn rates had changed. I read something among the line of better spawns in forts (which imo implied worse spawns outside forts?). In any case, these are the results

I believe without the fort you simply get regular soulless, and longdead, ghouls, etc. With the fort (and maybe temple) you get the roman undead with armor and weapons, and the sacred undead cavalry.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I was reviewing LA Eyrtheia, and I'm not sure what to do with them.

They are half-UW nation but... they are actually 'poor amphibian',

i didnt read the rest but this isnt true because like all mermen the shapechange when uw

mermen landshape has allways had poor amphibian trait but it doesnt actually do anything (well maybe it lets them cross rivers?)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Corbeau posted:

How different are the underwater dynamics in 5? Has anyone played UW much yet?

I saw a fantastic mp game on twitch where it was ALL underwater. I don't know if anyone had a plan.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Make a dominions mobile app that is just the combat portion and you just pick nations and units and watch them fight please help I'm bored at work

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Mermaid princess incest dating simulator 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Chad Jihad posted:

Make a dominions mobile app that is just the combat portion and you just pick nations and units and watch them fight please help I'm bored at work

As I've talked about on the discord I'm kind of looking onto reverse engineering the turn/game format. My eventual goal is to possibly make an alternate MP client that does everything except processing the turn and battles (ie any of the actual game logic or calculation). So the exact opposite of what you asked for :v:

Are there any resources about the file formats used?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Absum posted:

mermen landshape has allways had poor amphibian trait but it doesnt actually do anything (well maybe it lets them cross rivers?)

damnit illfraud!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Chad Jihad posted:

I feel like that would be super helpful to new players if that kind of tool existed.

Something to let players do a trial run of a thug against prefab or custom armies.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Amuys posted:

/awaits fanart.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Amuys posted:

Finally, a pretender to the Crusader Kings throne!

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

ElBrak posted:

Still got two people who need to submit their pretenders for the Dom5 newbie game.

Who hasn't submitted yet? i want to make sure it's not me

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

IAmThatIs posted:

Who hasn't submitted yet? i want to make sure it's not me

What's your name on brainwrinkle?
We had a mixup with asphodel, just waiting to hear back from Kremath and we can start.
Also it looks like marignon dropped out.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I'm eulalia on brain wrinkle, I'm playing Nazca. I think I originally signed up for two nations at first, that's why I wanted to make sure :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You got 2 slots open now, mind if I drop in this late?