Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie finished shooting already. So he did, but he's out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nipponophile posted:

Man, who cares about that? I want the hot scoops on Roseanne!

She is an insane racist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr Hootington posted:

She is an insane racist.

Everyone is nowadays

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said scoops.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Get me pictures! Pictures of Roseanne being racist!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Black Adam is the only good Shazam villain" is a pretty lame argument considering that Captain Marvel actually has a shitload of good villains, they're just underutilized because Marvel tends to get sidelined or various other reasons.

Dr. Sivana owns. He's Lex Luthor before Lex Luthor existed. Like Luthor he can exist all over the scale and be anything from a genius scientist to a corrupt politician without violating the core concept. He can and has been shown to be effective both in funny and serious ways and especially for a kid-focused movie he can be a great villain.

Mr. Mind has an inherently absurd concept (EVIL WORM) that, like Sivana, can be used to great effect. He can be incredibly comedic or you can go full brain-parasite-hyperworm-devouring-reality with him.

The Seven Deadly Sins of Man are EZ mode. They're a simple and understandable concept that can be parlayed into a variety of simple and disposable villains while still having enough thematic relevance to carry a movie, especially if paired with Sivana or Mind or someone else.

The Monster Society of Evil, likewise, is a fairly easy concept and has enough potential members that it allows for a variety of simple and disposable foes backed by a more interesting main villain.

Sabbac and Ibac both fill the "Evil Marvel" roll without blowing their Black Adam load and are super easy to reconcept as something appropriate for film.

To be honest in terms of concepts, I think Marvel has more interesting villains that you can make a movie out of than Superman does.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So, EW has revealed that Jessica Chastain isn't Lilandra like we thought, she's the Skrull Queen.

I guess this was Fox trying to give another "gently caress you" to Marvel like they did with Quicksilver before the merger talks became a thing. It's really hard to care about this movie knowing is going to be made irrelevant before its even released.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Race Realists posted:

this but unironically

Who said I was being ironic? Hyperbolic maybe.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
https://io9.gizmodo.com/first-x-men-dark-phoenix-details-reveal-how-jean-grey-1821079984

So apparently EW teases the film as having “a massive twist halfway through that will irrevocably change the course of the franchise.”

This movie is set in the 90s.

Captain Marvel is set in the 90s.

I'm calling it now - X-MEN/MARVEL CROSSOVER

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would be excellent if they could get a major twist in there as soon as the Fox deal is finalized.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jagermonster posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/first-x-men-dark-phoenix-details-reveal-how-jean-grey-1821079984

So apparently EW teases the film as having “a massive twist halfway through that will irrevocably change the course of the franchise.”

It’s white nick fury

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Don't tell me Dr. Sivana wouldn't own as the villain in Shazam

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s white nick fury

Real talk, Jackman would be an amazing old school Fury.

As for Fox development twists I will say this, gently caress the X-Men. I want the Fantastic Four right goddamned now.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Calling that the twist is Mystique is actually a Skrull, not a mutant.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Jagermonster posted:

I wonder how this is affected by the merger. There may be no franchise anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I still want the Sentinel to have retroactively been in a bunch of the films

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm trying to imagine how the current approach to DC movies would approach Mr. Mind and it's giving me hives.

I really hope Shazam! is something different.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I wonder how this is affected by the merger. There may be no franchise anymore.

It's finished, released, then never spoken of again, just like every other Fox movie will be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

It's finished, released, then never spoken of again, just like every other Fox movie will be.

There's no way Disney doesn't figure out how to bring Laura into the MCU.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Because if there's one thing Marvel has no idea how to do, it's introduce new characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Because if there's one thing Marvel has no idea how to do, it's introduce new characters.

I mean that actress in that role specifically.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There's still no need to make Logan part of the MCU. Doing so becomes way more convoluted since it would require time travel and poo poo. They can easily hire her to play the same character and ditch the backstory.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really wish Disney still owned Power Rangers. They treated the series like a red headed step child but if they base movies of them they would be so good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

New Disney Princess X-23.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That Hollywood Reporter article about Shazam mentions Captain Marvel and Marvel Jr. Are they actually using Marvel in the character names, not Shazam? Or is the article author just not getting it right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think they will, it'd be a dick move as well as a merchandising nightmare

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What are Mary and Freddy called now anyway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

New Disney Princess X-23.

Exactly. Here's a new Princess who will totally murder the gently caress out of the bad guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

AFAIK they've only show up briefly when Shazam split his power and were not explicitly named.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I can see Laura coming over but i don't think they're gonna have a 13yo be on the avengers with a bunch of 30something people

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Mary goes by She-Zam and Freddy also goes by Shazam, like how there are is more than one Hawkeye and Spider-Man.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

I can see Laura coming over but i don't think they're gonna have a 13yo be on the avengers with a bunch of 30something people

They have to wait ‘til she’s 15 like Pete?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

They have to wait ‘til she’s 15 like Pete?

You should watch homecoming

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

You should watch homecoming

The one where Tony offers him a spot on the Avengers? Or Civil War, where he fights with/against the Avengers? Guy’s already heavily involved, why does a year or two make a difference?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He uh...he turned the offer down. He's not on the avengers

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Except by May he's using the new Stark suit and fighting Thanos in, that's right folks, an Avengers movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think maybe there can be exceptions when the superboss come to erase half of all existence cuz all hands on deck but I'm sorry i just don't agree with recruiting literal children in general

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

He uh...he turned the offer down. He's not on the avengers

Yeah, by his own choice.

Like, why shouldn't Laura be on the Avengers? What's your reasoning, here? That the Avengers themselves wouldn't offer, because she's too young? Tony already offered a slot to Peter. That the people making the movies wouldn't put her on an Avengers team because she's too young? Peter already fought with the Avengers in Civil War. And Laura, despite her age, is a lot more dangerous than Pete.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes, i find the notion of taking a kid, presumably just ripped from an alternate timeline, who has no formal education and limited understanding of the situation and basically kidnapping her and making her a child soldier murder machine to be fairly morally abhorrent.

And i think you're being a bit disingenuous with your description of civil war. Stark straight up abuses Pete's initial starstruck reaction to get pete to listen to him, lies to Peter about what's happening to get him to fight and bribes him with a suit. Moreover, stark isn't expecting peter to murder anybody (yet, as the suit explains in homecoming) so i don't think the comparison is necessarily accurate in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Yes, i find the notion of taking a kid, presumably just ripped from an alternate timeline, who has no formal education and limited understanding of the situation and basically kidnapping her and making her a child soldier murder machine to be fairly morally abhorrent.

And i think you're being a bit disingenuous with your description of civil war. Stark straight up abuses Pete's initial starstruck reaction to get pete to listen to him, lies to Peter about what's happening to get him to fight and bribes him with a suit. Moreover, stark isn't expecting peter to murder anybody (yet, as the suit explains in homecoming) so i don't think the comparison is necessarily accurate in the first place

Wow, that's a lot of conclusions you're leaping to.

• Locked thread