Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

On the way to Schuman, four Catalans getting on the train in Herent already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Phlegmish posted:

On the way to Schuman, four Catalans getting on the train in Herent already.

There were a whole bunch in Bruges yesterday. So either they took a city trip along with their protesting or they really did book all the hotels in Belgium.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

nimby posted:

There were a whole bunch in Bruges yesterday. So either they took a city trip along with their protesting or they really did book all the hotels in Belgium.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Looks like a fair bunch of Catalans turned up.

https://twitter.com/sanjinbuzo/status/938717044576587778

The latest polls for the December 21 elections appear to suggest that the separatists' majority in the parliament of the autonomous community of Catalonia is hanging by a thread though.

https://twitter.com/elperiodico/status/938649513643925504

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shibawanko posted:

What kind of psychopathic, self-absorbed freak becomes a politician for a leftist party without knowing the slightest thing about why people would want to vote for a leftist party and what's expected of a leftist party.

They live in ivory towers, surrounded exclusively by orthodox economists and other lobbyists for the rich, so they end up genuinely convinced that the best way to help the poor is to gut welfare to afford tax cuts on the rich. These people are utterly and completely cut from reality.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Martin Schulz of all people proposes a new EU Constitutional Treaty, proposing to pass it through the most surefire way of blowing up the EU that anyone could think of:

https://twitter.com/MartinSchulz/status/938748811375271936

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Martin Schulz of all people proposes a new EU Constitutional Treaty, proposing to pass it through the most surefire way of blowing up the EU that anyone could think of:

* checks calendar *

We're not April 1st?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pluskut Tukker posted:

P sure he also thinks Trump declaring Jerusalem to be Israel's capital was a good long-term political move lol.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

So Schulz is a undercover agent of Farrage? Who knew?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Shibawanko posted:

I can not understand this. Are these people autistic or something? Do they live in a different universe? They are universally hated but will still toot their own horn and seem genuinely confused about why Rutte-II was not considered the greatest government ever. What kind of psychopathic, self-absorbed freak becomes a politician for a leftist party without knowing the slightest thing about why people would want to vote for a leftist party and what's expected of a leftist party.

When the steppe-born Mongols took over Bejing-China and became the new ruling class, there was a (probably justified) fear that the Mongols would lose their edge and become soft and weak and be conquered in turn. For this reason it was mandated that they should spend half the year in pampered palace luxury and half the year on hard steppes.

Likewise, if you spend too long doing palace intrigue in the Hague, you lose your edge. If you compromise too much on all social policy you will genuinely be confused when the people who depend on those social policies (or ideologically agree with them) are mad at you. Out of sight, out of mind.

What I'm saying is all politicians should spend half the year on the freezing Mongolian grass seas.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pluskut Tukker posted:

loving lol I'm a European federalist and I think this is dumb as hell.

Make a federalized EU core if you want with the rest of the EU hanging on like transition regions that preserve the status quo or something, but telling people they'll be booted out if they disagree is an excellent way to perpetuate the EU stereotypes ffs. Is the idea that people would gamble to rather be inside the new EU than outside of it? Because I don't think people would gamble to be a part of a federal EU without knowing beforehand which other countries would even be in it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Schulz is far overdue from realizing that no one likes him and that he should just retire in peace.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

When I said I want the EU to be more democratic, I didn't mean more democratic. Have you talked to an average voter lately?

:v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

Is the idea that people would gamble to rather be inside the new EU than outside of it? Because I don't think people would gamble to be a part of a federal EU without knowing beforehand which other countries would even be in it
The EU, except it's only Luxembourg and Greece.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

When the steppe-born Mongols took over Bejing-China and became the new ruling class, there was a (probably justified) fear that the Mongols would lose their edge and become soft and weak and be conquered in turn. For this reason it was mandated that they should spend half the year in pampered palace luxury and half the year on hard steppes.

Likewise, if you spend too long doing palace intrigue in the Hague, you lose your edge. If you compromise too much on all social policy you will genuinely be confused when the people who depend on those social policies (or ideologically agree with them) are mad at you. Out of sight, out of mind.

What I'm saying is all politicians should spend half the year on the freezing Mongolian grass seas.

I'm trying to think what the closest equivalent to the freezing Mongolian grass seas we have is. Rottumerplaat perhaps?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I'm trying to think what the closest equivalent to the freezing Mongolian grass seas we have is. Rottumerplaat perhaps?
I think the labor equivalent is making politicians work as line-workers in a factory.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the labor equivalent is making politicians work as line-workers in a factory.

A what-ory? We're in the Europe thread, here, not the China thread.

Make them take care of some old people in a small rural village, where taking care of old people is the only job remaining.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

A what-ory? We're in the Europe thread, here, not the China thread.

Make them take care of some old people in a small rural village, where taking care of old people is the only job remaining.
I mean, if you're forcing politicians to work in a factory, you probably have the power to open the factory in the first place.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Have politicians work night shifts in healthcare, as mailmen or as construction workers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

nimby posted:

Have politicians work night shifts in healthcare, as mailmen or as construction workers.
Healthcare and construction is out of the question, that's skilled labor.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

we could put them to work as bus drivers for a while. Force them to see their constituency on a daily basis.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

double nine posted:

we could put them to work as bus drivers for a while. Force them to see their constituency on a daily basis.

I think folk down in Venezuela can attest that being a bus driver doesn't make you a competent government leader.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

When I said I want the EU to be more democratic, I didn't mean more democratic. Have you talked to an average voter lately?

:v:
Never forget that roughly half the population is below average intelligence. :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zudgemud posted:

While it makes some sense to punish severe violators of common EU treaties etc with restricted voting, veto and payouts, it would probably also be impossible to implement in the current framework.

The amazing thing about politics is that it's perfectly possible to make possible things that are not currently possible.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Healthcare and construction is out of the question, that's skilled labor.

I've known 2 mailmen. Both were not born in this country and both worked their asses off and sacrificed a shitton to give their children a chance to get a university degree and get the opportunities they never had. Both died before age 65. I got a hell of a lot more respect for these men then I'll ever have for 99% of politicians.

MiddleOne posted:

Schulz is far overdue from realizing that no one likes him and that he should just retire in peace.

I got a challenge for this thread. Name a single social-democrat politician of the last 20 years who is well liked.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I've known 2 mailmen. Both were not born in this country and both worked their asses off and sacrificed a shitton to give their children a chance to get a university degree and get the opportunities they never had. Both died before age 65. I got a hell of a lot more respect for these men then I'll ever have for 99% of politicians.
I did not mean to denigrate mailmen, at least they have a work ethic.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Martin Schultz has a better chance of riding a rainbow-tailed unicorn off to loving Narnia than getting that anywhere near done.

On the other hand, I would like some of what he's smoking or snorting. Sounds awesome.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Junior G-man posted:

Martin Schultz has a better chance of riding a rainbow-tailed unicorn off to loving Narnia than getting that anywhere near done.

On the other hand, I would like some of what he's smoking or snorting. Sounds awesome.

Well, he's negotiating with Merkel about forming a coalition now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Surely the future of the EU is a federal state, and surely some member states will be reluctant to be a part of that. I wonder if what comes from Brexit will be a blueprint for a two speed Europe?

That would be my hope anyway.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I got a challenge for this thread. Name a single social-democrat politician of the last 20 years who is well liked.

Jeremy Corbyn

Also like all the gutless third-way Social Democrats of the early 2000's were extremely popular, at their time. In fact detrimentally so to most of their parties when the tides started turning on being a social democrat in anything but name. :v:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

loving lol I'm a European federalist and I think this is dumb as hell.

Make a federalized EU core if you want with the rest of the EU hanging on like transition regions that preserve the status quo or something, but telling people they'll be booted out if they disagree is an excellent way to perpetuate the EU stereotypes ffs. Is the idea that people would gamble to rather be inside the new EU than outside of it? Because I don't think people would gamble to be a part of a federal EU without knowing beforehand which other countries would even be in it

I mean, let's be real, if Europe is to get ANYWHERE you pretty much have to kick Poland and Hungary out, at least.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Orange Devil posted:

I take it the working situation under the ludicrous privatized postal system there hasn't improved any then.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:stare:

https://twitter.com/FerdiDeVille/status/938814397677473792

https://twitter.com/FerdiDeVille/status/938814959173210112

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My god does anyone learn anything from history

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Who the gently caress cares about random man Ferdi Deville?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I wonder what a democratically voted for convention to write a EU constitution would look like - I doubt the Social Democrats would like the result, given current voting trends.

Not that I give the whole idea any credibility, it's just some opium for the SPD delegates and seems to have done its job but stillt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

Who the gently caress cares about random man Ferdi Deville?

a)found it a pretty hot take
b)he's assistant prof at centre for european studies in ghent so you'd think he'd know better

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That's stupid. That's incredibly, widely, thickly, profoundly stupid.

If that's the plan, you create a new thing. Let's call that the European Union Treaty Organization, or EUTO. The EUTO becomes one more thing inside the EU, like the Eurozone; in fact it can be made a subset of the Eurozone. EUTO countries do their thing, and hopefully they make it good enough that the rest of the EU countries want to join. Just like they wanted to join the EU in the first place when they were outside.

You do not make it a blackmail attempt.

Multispeed Europe is the key. It's a good thing and it's extremely desirable because there are strong disparities between European Union countries and wanting to get them all on the same page is a loving nightmare, as we have seen with how the euro is managed for example. So you get a multi-tiered system which encourages nations to reach the higher tier, but all in due time, at their own rhythm and speed, and without coercion, and it's no problem if they don't reach it. We kind of already have that anyway, with the EFTA, the EFTA-EEA, the Union proper, the Eurozone, the Schengen area, special opt-outs for some countries, special exemptions for outermost territories, and so on and so forth.

Thinking some more about Schultz's delirium, it seems to be a negotiation tactic for a coalition government. Publicly demand something outlandish to force the CDU-CSU to offer a compromise in exchange for dropping it.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 7, 2017

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Is Margrethe Vestager a social-democrat?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

"Orange Devil" posted:

Louis Tobback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fishmech posted:

I take it the working situation under the ludicrous privatized postal system there hasn't improved any then.

At least mailmen aren't "independent contractors" (read: employee without benefits) anymore, afaik.

Walh Hara posted:

Is Margrethe Vestager a social-democrat?

I don't know, tell us about her.

Also according to UK press Corbyn is a communist so surely he can't count as a social democrat.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 8, 2017