Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Thalantos posted:

Nope, I'm self employed, I don't have any benefits, just paychecks.

I don't trust financial institutions at all, it's blatantly obvious that they'll steal money from the regular folks investing in them. gently caress banks and everyone related.

As far as saving for retirement, well, I expected to be dead by now, statistically I should be, and then I always just assumed I'd work until the day I die.

Realtalk, you should read the financial planning threads in ask/tell. Your suspicion is not misplaced, but the ways banks milk investors for money are readily avoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Brony Car posted:

What if some of the accusers aren't telling the truth?

:frogout:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

canepazzo posted:

My new favourite thing is Trumpets, GOP and Fox drones taking the defense of Franken because they're suddenly stuck with the Moore albatross:

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/938754225580007424

https://twitter.com/TheGrandSlams/status/938762686447472640

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

just tell gingrich that franken has cancer and he won't be so quick to defend

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The first comment shows they didn’t put cuffs on anyone and let the group do their thing. I 100% get the backlash against cops dragging people from wheelchairs during the ACA repeal debacle, but what did you want them to do differently here? Do you expect no police to show up when a group of people start demonstrating outside the office of the speaker of the house?

Even preparing to cuff children is bad optics. There was no threat there. Just stand by and let them do their thing without the zip ties in hand.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The first comment shows they didn’t put cuffs on anyone and let the group do their thing. I 100% get the backlash against cops dragging people from wheelchairs during the ACA repeal debacle, but what did you want them to do differently here? Do you expect no police to show up when a group of people start demonstrating outside the office of the speaker of the house?

Yes.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Clarke's tweet links to this hilarious satire piece by Mike Huckabee, confirming that Jr really is the dumbest man named Donald Trump.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Thalantos posted:

Nope, I'm self employed, I don't have any benefits, just paychecks.

I don't trust financial institutions at all, it's blatantly obvious that they'll steal money from the regular folks investing in them. gently caress banks and everyone related.

As far as saving for retirement, well, I expected to be dead by now, statistically I should be, and then I always just assumed I'd work until the day I die.

Investigate Credit Unions. They tend to be good for people in your situation. They are not the big banks, they are small local cooperative banks.

You will *not* work until the day you die, and you are deluding yourself in a very typical "young guy" way if you think you will. Almost everyone has a period in which they are too sick or elderly to work but not yet dead. This period is usually at least 10 years for most, sometimes 20.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

ReidRansom posted:

Even preparing to cuff children is bad optics. There was no threat there. Just stand by and let them do their thing without the zip ties in hand.

Or maybe he just grabbed the cuffs and that bag in his other hand on his way to the 261st generic Capitol Hill protest of the week?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Angry_Ed posted:

Not that this statement is incorrect but have you considered a Credit Union? Most of those are smaller and thus less predatory.

I have USAA. I suppose I can put some money into savings, it has a investment return.

But poo poo, there are people that need help! The millionaire fucks aren't doing it, someone needs to.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

arresting non non white children?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Nice job taking the one sentence and ignoring the whole statement.

Again, not great, but certainly a lot better than things like "oh that's not even me on the Access Hollywood tape" or "It's ok I had their mother's permission to date them". The important part of all of this is that he resigned, as everyone wanted him to, but of course you can't do anything but whinge about imperfections in it. Yeah it could've been better, it also could be that we'd now be sitting here angry that he wouldn't step down in the face of multiple allegations instead of what he's already done just now.

It's not "whinging about imperfections" to criticize him for not owning up to what he did. That's not "could've been better" that's "didn't even try." ou're right his apology to Leeann Tweeden isn't a complete non-apology, but it was still some weak poo poo followed by this.

The fact he went after Moore or Trump doesn't change what he did and his own failure to take responsibility for it. Him stepping down is good, but he should have bit his own tongue off before rolling with this "they're liars or they have bad memories" poo poo.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thalantos posted:

I have USAA. I suppose I can put some money into savings, it has a investment return.

But poo poo, there are people that need help! The millionaire fucks aren't doing it, someone needs to.

USAA is Very Good and I am very grateful that my grandpa went and fought the Nazis so I can use their services today.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'll take a look at the financial planning threads in A/T, thanks.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Haha congressman is asking FBI director Wray about Hillary's emails, unbelievable. These loving republicans

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Criminal elves deliver highly toxic substance to senator.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/938821733993402368
:bernin:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Thalantos posted:

1) Take some money and invest it. A couple times a year, withdraw a small portion of it and donate it, but keep the nest egg going. If at some point you decide you really don't need it, you'll have more to share.

Not sure of your tax situation, but if you invest in stocks and donate the stocks themselves to charity, you may be able to get a bigger deduction (in-kind vs. cash contribution).

2) Do some volunteer work! Charities need volunteers as well as cash.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

axeil posted:

USAA is Very Good and I am very grateful that my grandpa went and fought the Nazis so I can use their services today.

I can use their services because I went to the middle east to shoot at brown people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

bitcoin! it's up by nearly $2000 today alone!

please do not throw your money away on bitcoin thanks

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

TGLT posted:

Okay, which of them do you think are lying? Do you think they're all lying, because he didn't admit to any of them.

I'm not saying he shouldn't resign for what he did. I just wonder if he has to admit to things he might not have done. I didn't listen to the full speech so I didn't know if he denied everything he has been accused of.

I'm glad he stepped down. The Democrats have to show, to the furthest extent possible, that they live up to their own rhetoric.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

1) Take some money and invest it. A couple times a year, withdraw a small portion of it and donate it, but keep the nest egg going. If at some point you decide you really don't need it, you'll have more to share.

Not sure of your tax situation, but if you invest in stocks and donate the stocks themselves to charity, you may be able to get a bigger deduction (in-kind vs. cash contribution).

2) Do some volunteer work! Charities need volunteers as well as cash.

That sounds like I need to hire a financial advisor! I'm still really new at making this much money. :)

I do do volunteer work, I just hate going out of my house and interacting with people, so donating money is easier mentally for me.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
My Dad had a lot of investments with AIARC. The process for withdrawing that at the moment has been hard as gently caress. Which is kind of a good thing in that their security checks are stupidly rigorous.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

It's not "whinging about imperfections" to criticize him for not owning up to what he did. That's not "could've been better" that's "didn't even try." ou're right his apology to Leeann Tweeden isn't a complete non-apology, but it was still some weak poo poo followed by this.

The fact he went after Moore or Trump doesn't change what he did and his own failure to take responsibility for it. Him stepping down is good, but he should have bit his own tongue off before rolling with this "they're liars or they have bad memories" poo poo.

"Some" does not equal "all". Again, I don't think it was great, in fact it is pretty bad outside of him actually resigning, but I think it's better than you're ever going to get out of a Republican, and in that light he has every right to kick the GOP in the dick on his way out. We're better than this and we're better than that apology but I'll take a lovely apology and a resignation over a non-apology and staying in office.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 7, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

About.loving.Time

https://twitter.com/IamGMJohnson/status/938795011298201606?s=17

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Thalantos posted:

That sounds like I need to hire a financial advisor! I'm still really new at making this much money. :)

I do do volunteer work, I just hate going out of my house and interacting with people, so donating money is easier mentally for me.

Developer?

Just don't get shanghaied into the buttcoins thing without doing due diligence beforehand.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

LOL at Ryan's inception of the idea into Donnie is doing great.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

This fucker should have gotten life without parole.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Brony Car posted:

I'm not saying he shouldn't resign for what he did. I just wonder if he has to admit to things he might not have done. I didn't listen to the full speech so I didn't know if he denied everything he has been accused of.

I'm glad he stepped down. The Democrats have to show, to the furthest extent possible, that they live up to their own rhetoric.

You popped in here with "What if some of the accusers aren't telling the truth?" This isn't some hypothetical senator with theoretical accusers, this is Al Franken and his eight accusers. Which do you think warrants asking "if he has to admit to things he might not have done"?

Angry_Ed posted:

"Some" does not equal "all". Again, I don't think it was great, in fact it is pretty bad outside of him actually resigning, but I think it's better than you're ever going to get out of a Republican, and in that light he has every right to kick the GOP in the dick on his way out.

I don't care if it's better than what a Republican would do, we ought to be holding our people to a higher standard than a bunch of pedo-backers. And I'm not saying it was wrong of him to snipe at Moore or Trump, just that having the right politics isn't a get out of jail free card.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 7, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thalantos posted:

That sounds like I need to hire a financial advisor!

god no, a financial advisor is usually a waste of money

vanguard ETF funds with a balance between domestic stocks, international stocks, and bonds in a ratio you can easily look up for free based on your age and how much risk you want to tolerate. all of the information you need is out there in very easily digestable format for free.

the only thing that's not written down in easily accessible format is that anything that has the word "cryptocurrency" or "bitcoin" is advice from an idiot unless it's specifically warning you against them and people pushing them

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Thalantos posted:

It's perfectly possible to save a quarter of your excess, give the rest to charity, and you'll be doing great :) Plus, make a will, and leave everything to charity. If you have reason to suppose that you will die young, there's no reason to delay. There are online will-writing services.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

RiggenBlaque posted:

Haha congressman is asking FBI director Wray about Hillary's emails, unbelievable. These loving republicans

Is it Jim Jordan or Matt Gaetz? That's what they do. That's all they do.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

World Reels as America Makes Sense for Twenty Minutes

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TGLT posted:

I don't care if it's better than what a Republican would do, we ought to be holding our people to a higher standard than a bunch of pedo-backers. And I'm not saying it was wrong of him to snipe at Moore or Trump, just that having the right politics isn't a get out of jail free card.

One could argue we're already holding our own party to a higher standard because he resigned and was pressured to do so. You're right, having the right politics isn't a get out of jail free card (and I wasn't really trying to suggest that it was), and ultimately this probably isn't over. I'm sure more allegations will probably surface even now that he's left office, but again I take some solace in the fact that he did the only real right thing in this situation by retiring, crappy apology aside. It sends a signal, however small, that the Democrats won't tolerate sexual abuse allegations even if the person committing them waffles on admitting to them being true or gives an apology followed by near un-apologizing when they actually retire.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

This fucker should have gotten life without parole.

I imagine his life in prison as a killer cop will not be a great one

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gort posted:

World Reels as America Makes Sense for Twenty Minutes

Meanwhile, at the UN security council...

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Thalantos posted:

You make decent money but no where near the level where you have to pay someone to manage it

There’s the forum here, and financial advice subreddit is fairly good about, plus tons of other internet resources out there

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

delfin posted:

Is it Jim Jordan or Matt Gaetz? That's what they do. That's all they do.

DeSantis

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Ganson posted:

Developer?

Just don't get shanghaied into the buttcoins thing without doing due diligence beforehand.

That would make me a super stereotype, but no lol. I'm a caretaker and have my own cleaning business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

If you don't expect to live to 65 for reasons... a Vanguard S&P index fund and maybe a couple other indexes is the way to go. If you expect to live through retirement, a Vanguard Roth IRA would be good depending on your income level.

As you said, thee finance subforum is the way to go

• Locked thread