Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I imagine his life in prison as a killer cop will not be a great one

Didn’t think of that - I guess 19 years of solitary will basically kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

TGLT posted:

You popped in here with "What if some of the accusers aren't telling the truth?" This isn't some hypothetical senator with theoretical accusers, this is Al Franken and his eight accusers. Which do you think warrants asking "if he has to admit to thinks he might not have done"?

I thought he should've stepped down after Leeann. People might take dumb, compromising photos of their friends in college, right? The key words there being friends, and college. He was in his late 50s, and she was *at best* a colleague. Utterly poor taste there.

Plus if he had stepped down we wouldn't have had to deal with several weeks of stories and ridiculous equivocations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

boner confessor posted:

bitcoin! it's up by nearly $2000 today alone!

please do not throw your money away on bitcoin thanks
The thing about Bitcoin is that it doesn't matter if you have $10 million worth, there's no actual way to turn it into 10 million dollars, right? It just stays an obscure internet-only pseudo-currency forever?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

The thing about Bitcoin is that it doesn't matter if you have $10 million worth, there's no actual way to turn it into 10 million dollars, right? It just stays an obscure internet-only pseudo-currency forever?

Only if you convert it by doing crimes/buying illegal poo poo or handing it off to an "exchange" which will totally not lose all the bitcoins this time, honest.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/938526618196369408?s=17

of all people to support it

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

One could argue we're already holding our own party to a higher standard because he resigned and was pressured to do so. You're right, having the right politics isn't a get out of jail free card (and I wasn't really trying to suggest that it was), and ultimately this probably isn't over. I'm sure more allegations will probably surface even now that he's left office, but again I take some solace in the fact that he did the only real right thing in this situation by retiring, crappy apology aside. It sends a signal, however small, that the Democrats won't tolerate sexual abuse allegations even if the person committing them waffles on admitting to them being true or gives an apology followed by near un-apologizing when they actually retire.

No you're right, on the whole this is good. Whether or not he wanted to his rear end is out, and that's the most important part of this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well you could try buying $10M worth of cocaine and flipping it. Kinda like the show Fixer Upper except with a little less shiplap.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I don't know why you guys are so down on bitcoin, this seems normal and healthy.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/938824813963104257

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Some US Media desperately wants to legitimize Trump and CNN needs to join the NYT in being purged from existence.

Even that cop's partner has a look of "you have got to be loving kidding me don't do this (because there are cameras present)."

Munkeymon posted:

I thought we made up that nonsense :stare:

Goons could never make up something that funny.

I'm honestly baffled that any transgendered people actually want to serve in the military with Trump as CiC. I can't fathom how someone believes they should serve their country when at any given time the leadership of the country is openly hostile to their existence and could quite literally destroy their lives (or worse) on a whim.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The first comment shows they didn’t put cuffs on anyone and let the group do their thing. I 100% get the backlash against cops dragging people from wheelchairs during the ACA repeal debacle, but what did you want them to do differently here? Do you expect no police to show up when a group of people start demonstrating outside the office of the speaker of the house?

Don't immediately pull out zip ties and stare at children like a bored serial killer would be a nice start.

I know that lots of cops are giant pussies, but the guy's immediate reaction was "guess I should get ready to start taking down some children" is hosed up and example #38439482372949 of how bad police are in this country.

Glad to see that not all news today is bad news. :unsmith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Thalantos posted:

That sounds like I need to hire a financial advisor! I'm still really new at making this much money. :)

I do do volunteer work, I just hate going out of my house and interacting with people, so donating money is easier mentally for me.

Don't hire a financial advisor, they generally aren't worth the money. You can do just as well yourself and you won't be bleeding off % of income gained to fees for the rest of time. The BFC personal finance threads can set you up with some good advice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

I don't know why you guys are so down on bitcoin, this seems normal and healthy.

Is that graph line going backwards? :stare:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There are probably people who have gotten actual dollars out of bitcoin exchanges, but I doubt it's as many as would like to. I won't say part of me wishes I hadn't just relentlessly mocked it all these years and decided to fleece a few suckers myself, but ultimately that's all it is, a novel scam. How many 10s or 100s of thousands or more bitcoins have been thrown away or lost or just plain deleted over the years? Something that is inherently deflationary by its very nature and which requires an increasing amount of power to just maintain the network will not last.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

farraday posted:

I like how the line has gone so high so fast that it almost looks like its about to tip backwards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

farraday posted:

What the hell? It curves backwards? Is Bitcoin going back in time?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DOA in the senate.

Also, LOL @ Harold Ford Jr.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I think it'a a joke, guys.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

There are probably people who have gotten actual dollars out of bitcoin exchanges, but I doubt it's as many as would like to. I won't say part of me wishes I hadn't just relentlessly mocked it all these years and decided to fleece a few suckers myself, but ultimately that's all it is, a novel scam. How many 10s or 100s of thousands or more bitcoins have been thrown away or lost or just plain deleted over the years? Something that is inherently deflationary by its very nature and which requires an increasing amount of power to just maintain the network will not last.

The way I sleep at night is knowing that it's a scam and even if you make money on a scam you're still going to leave someone holding the bag.

Plenty of people made money off of Bernie Madoff but they set things up for others to lose everything.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

farraday posted:

The price of bitcoin is increasing so fast that it's going backwards in time!

(at least, according to that graph.)

edit: beaten like a bitcoin investor who owes coins to the mob

BlueberryCanary fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 7, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

otoh if there's ever a situation that calls for the "i know it was illegal, but your honor they were asking for it" defense, fleecing bitcoiners is it

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

farraday posted:

A friend of mine who owns a tiny amount of bitcoin said that there is a huge delay in the transaction history or something or rather and even if you wanted to trade your bitcoin for cash there is some sort of huge delay. Does anyone know if that's true? I know next to nothing about bitcoin (except not to buy any)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/938829737971146752

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ReidRansom posted:

Every once in awhile I hop on LinkedIn and see how some of my grad school classmates are doing. I learned one of them owns and manages a bitcoin mining facility in Nevada, and I thought "you know, I didn't turn out too bad."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

axeil posted:

The way I sleep at night is knowing that it's a scam and even if you make money on a scam you're still going to leave someone holding the bag.

Plenty of people made money off of Bernie Madoff but they set things up for others to lose everything.

One key difference though, is if you make money off a legal "scam" and get out before the crash, then you get to keep it. If you profit off a ponzi scheme, prosecutors and lawyers are going to be coming by later to claw back your illegal gains. If you didn't know it was a ponzi scheme, too bad.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

One key difference though, is if you make money off a legal "scam" and get out before the crash, then you get to keep it. If you profit off a ponzi scheme, prosecutors and lawyers are going to be coming by later to claw back your illegal gains. If you didn't know it was a ponzi scheme, too bad.

yeah, most of what the madoff trustee is doing is getting the money back from the winners to compensate the losers. at this point, all of it, really.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Okay, I certainly did a double-take on that one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I agree with his reasoning for saying this, and he's absolutely right. But if Democrats overemphasize this aspect of the Franken/Moore issue, then it's going to make it look like they got rid of Franken only to score political points, and not because he was a creep who needed to go. Democrats need to tread carefully here. These efforts to get rid of creepy politicians are for their victims. Making the GOP look pro-pedophile is a convenient bonus.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I agree with his reasoning for saying this, and he's absolutely right. But if Democrats overemphasize this aspect of the Franken/Moore issue, then it's going to make it look like they got rid of Franken only to score political points, and not because he was a creep who needed to go. Democrats need to tread carefully here. These efforts to get rid of creepy politicians is to protect their victims. Making the GOP look pro-pedophile is a convenient bonus.

Who the gently caress cares. Hit and never stop hitting.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Probably the best outcome that could have come from today--Franken quits on the Senate floor, then all his colleagues get to take potshots at the GOP.

Works for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The first comment shows they didn’t put cuffs on anyone and let the group do their thing. I 100% get the backlash against cops dragging people from wheelchairs during the ACA repeal debacle, but what did you want them to do differently here? Do you expect no police to show up when a group of people start demonstrating outside the office of the speaker of the house?

I want the speaker of the house to stop doing things so evil that their defense necessitates the arrest of children.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RiggenBlaque posted:

A friend of mine who owns a tiny amount of bitcoin said that there is a huge delay in the transaction history or something or rather and even if you wanted to trade your bitcoin for cash there is some sort of huge delay. Does anyone know if that's true? I know next to nothing about bitcoin (except not to buy any)

From what I remember, bitcoin can only process something like 7 transactions per second (compare to Visa which processes up to 24,000 a second), and it can take up to 30 minutes to do a transaction, clearly something you want to do with something that drops $3,000 of worth in 5 minutes. This is all me trying to remember things from the various GBS/YOSPOS bitcoin threads when they were just nonstop dunking on the stupidity.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I agree with his reasoning for saying this, and he's absolutely right. But if Democrats overemphasize this aspect of the Franken/Moore issue, then it's going to make it look like they got rid of Franken only to score political points, and not because he was a creep who needed to go. Democrats need to tread carefully here. These efforts to get rid of creepy politicians are for their victims. Making the GOP look pro-pedophile is a convenient bonus.

the only people who will latch onto "but the democrats just got rid of franken for political reasons" are people desperately looking for an excuse to keep supporting their local republican pedophile

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Steve Scalise sacrificed his dicknballs so guns could live.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Sir Lemming posted:

Okay, I certainly did a double-take on that one.

Having a Democratic senator with the name Whitehouse is like a tiny beacon of joy in these trying times. I wish his profile was higher just so we could get front-page headlines like WHITEHOUSE CALLS FOR PRESIDENT TO RESIGN

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TheScott2K posted:

Who the gently caress cares. Hit and never stop hitting.

Women will, if it starts looking like this was more of a political stunt than an honest effort to get rid of creeps.

I don't say that they shouldn't hit Republicans for their hypocrisy. They just need to be careful to emphasize that this is about taking women's accusations seriously more than it's about political points at the GOP's expense.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chilichimp posted:

... why are there urinals in that ladies restroom?

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's a toilet
I learned working at circle K that sometimes people do confuse the urinal (and sink (and trashcan)) for a toilet. :gonk:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Steve Scalise sacrificed his dicknballs so guns could live.

is this a Richard Geere thing or did it actually happen because :lol:

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Anyone have next Spring's congressional Republican baseball schedule?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

the only people who will latch onto "but the democrats just got rid of franken for political reasons" are people desperately looking for an excuse to keep supporting their local republican pedophile

They will always find another excuse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ReidRansom posted:

How many 10s or 100s of thousands or more bitcoins have been thrown away or lost or just plain deleted over the years?
Let me put it this way: the guy who founded bitcoin has a wallet with about a million bitcoins in it (because he mined the first million, basically)... and that wallet hasn't been touched since something like 2009. Including by everyone who is claiming to be him.

So depending on whether you count "Satoshi Nakamoto" as lost, your answer is going to change by a literal million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Also, LOL @ Harold Ford Jr.

I watched a lot of MSNBC in 2008, which meant I saw a lot of Harold Ford Jr. Something always rubbed me in the really wrong way about that guy. No surprise here.

Imagine if he had actually tried to primary Gillibrand!

• Locked thread