Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Incidentally it does sound like if pops no longer affect tech costs then Habitats are going to be even better for science and make the research array look worse by comparison.

Edit: Numbers tweaking is of course something that will happen a lot before release so that's not exactly something to get terribly excited over. It does make me think of what potential implications there are Re: Habitat effectiveness with this system though.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

That's very definitely in play. I have never gotten all of my traditions unlocked before the Crisis in any playthroughs.
Try the one-planet strategy before Cherryh if you want to get all traditions by... 2280ish maybe? It's a different enough experience from a normal game to be worth trying out. Having late-game battleships with 5 or so shield/armor/kinetic damage/attack speed repeatables just absolutely murder AI fleets with similar fleet power with minimal losses is great.

Speaking of the one-planet strategy...

Slashrat posted:

Even though Wiz states in the DD that the intent isn't to invalidate tall empire strategies, I don't see how how the change to how research/unity costs are calculated wouldn't. Tall empires still need comparative mineral/energy income in order to compete, and the only source they will have left for that after the change are tributaries. Rapid tech/policy advancement isn't very useful when the cost of the buildings/ships they unlock outpace the vertical development of mineral and income sources that they enable.

I've tried following the one-planet empire strategy, and I already found myself lagging behind the schedule it laid out because I never had enough minerals or energy to build all the specified infrastructure on time.

Tl;dr: More potential to develop a planet's mineral/energy output through tech/unity would be nice. It would help tall empires keep up

Frankly I think the change to unity/tech costs is absolutely necessary with the move to claiming systems one by one instead of border pressure from planets/outposts. Without needing a specialized build for the frontier outpost upkeep, it will probably even easier to keep claiming systems instead of colonizing. And you'll be able to conquer even more uninhabited systems. And the current main disadvantage of the one.planet strategy - only having one space port - will be eliminated. It would probably become a degenerate strategy in Cherryh without this change.

Also, I'm not convinced colonizing would have helped you stay on schedule mineral-wise. Spending 500 minerals on a colony ships, several hundred energy in maintenance for that ship/the colonization process, 100 (or is it 200?) on monument to keep up tradition gain rate, 350 for the planetary administration, then 60 minerals for every tier I building would take a good while to pay itself back early game. Remember that (without any modifiers) e.g. a mine built on a 1-mineral tile gives you 3 base minerals, but costs you 1 energy in upkeep, 1 food/energy for the pop, and a bit above 0.5 minerals for consumer goods for the pop. So without any modifiers, with organic pops a set of 1 power plant, 1 farm, and 1 mine all built on +1 tiles has a net production of 1 energy, 0 food, and 1.5 minerals. That's not really great, considering you paid 180 minerals for those buildings, and probably colonized the planet for the privilege. Later on you'll get a bunch of modifiers that will make buildings /pops far more profitable, but they're pretty low-margin early game. And for non-power plants, upgrading to level II costs you 90 minerals for +1 something -0.5 energy, which isn't a great return on investment without getting modifiers on that +1 something. A typical mining station is either 90 minerals for +2 minerals -1 energy or just +2 energy, after all.

(Of course, you'll probably have a few non-blocked tiles with +2 on each planet, which helps. And you can get trait/civic boosts to at least some outputs even in the early game. But planets are still a long-term investment.)

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Really don't understand the penalising wide strategies to make tall strategies viable in 4X and grand strategy obsession some people have. Just expand as much as you can and then smack people down to expand into their land as needed is the default best strategy period because it's how the game works at its core. The core systems are where you get resources based on the land you control and the ability to get more land. So the main strategy is get more land to get more resources so you can get more land so you can get more resources until you've taken all the land or gotten strong enough to smash everyone/make them surrender/fulfil the victory condition/gotten bored. You can't change this without changing or expanding the core systems. All you do otherwise is make it really annoying having to figure out the optimal amount of land to take based on whatever formula is being applied to the penalty for playing in what would otherwise be the right way.

The only natural way to make tall viable is to make it so you have high expense advantages you can't afford at the same time as spending on expansion. That way you're giving players a different way to expand by expanding upward instead of outward. Instead of essentially trying to balance expansion against sitting on your rear end and not expanding. Tech is one way to do this but of course Stellaris doesn't allow you to do this because, like every other game that didn't address building tall until after the systems were in, research is based on resources you gain through getting more land so expanding also increases tech. You also can't build up via buildings because the building tree is super shallow until you research it through tech points so you literally can't build tall until you bring in enough tech points that you get through land. So your options are expand to get more resources or... sit on your rear end. That's it. So if you want tall strategies to work under this system you need to penalise wide strategies until they're functionally as powerful as doing nothing. Why do it? It's dumb on the face of it.

You you want going tall to be viable? Then make the game such that you can actually build tall. Put in ways to invest in your one/few planets that cost too much to do it at the same time as going wide. Don't just make a go wide game and then poo poo on going wide until it's balanced with not going wide.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Super useful if you use a bunch o' mods like me.

https://github.com/WojciechKrysiak/SCModManager

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Futuresight posted:

Really don't understand the penalising wide strategies to make tall strategies viable in 4X and grand strategy obsession some people have. Just expand as much as you can and then smack people down to expand into their land as needed is the default best strategy period because it's how the game works at its core. The core systems are where you get resources based on the land you control and the ability to get more land. So the main strategy is get more land to get more resources so you can get more land so you can get more resources until you've taken all the land or gotten strong enough to smash everyone/make them surrender/fulfil the victory condition/gotten bored. You can't change this without changing or expanding the core systems. All you do otherwise is make it really annoying having to figure out the optimal amount of land to take based on whatever formula is being applied to the penalty for playing in what would otherwise be the right way.

The only natural way to make tall viable is to make it so you have high expense advantages you can't afford at the same time as spending on expansion. That way you're giving players a different way to expand by expanding upward instead of outward. Instead of essentially trying to balance expansion against sitting on your rear end and not expanding. Tech is one way to do this but of course Stellaris doesn't allow you to do this because, like every other game that didn't address building tall until after the systems were in, research is based on resources you gain through getting more land so expanding also increases tech. You also can't build up via buildings because the building tree is super shallow until you research it through tech points so you literally can't build tall until you bring in enough tech points that you get through land. So your options are expand to get more resources or... sit on your rear end. That's it. So if you want tall strategies to work under this system you need to penalise wide strategies until they're functionally as powerful as doing nothing. Why do it? It's dumb on the face of it.

You you want going tall to be viable? Then make the game such that you can actually build tall. Put in ways to invest in your one/few planets that cost too much to do it at the same time as going wide. Don't just make a go wide game and then poo poo on going wide until it's balanced with not going wide.

Especially given the new movement options I think that you really don't need any sort of motivation to make tall a desirable possiblity. You've already got ample motivation to build up a few systems because you can then defend them all and travel between them easier. And you can just spam habitats all over if you want to.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Stellaris doesn't seem like it's pushing to make tall empires more viable, rather it's trying to address the unsatisfying narrative issues 4X games tend to have.

You have an exciting struggle at first, and then you've won or lost and there's a long, long slog to the finish. That's not a particularly fun pattern, but it's the most pure and natural way for one of these games to play out.

Seems like Stellaris is trying to strike a balance between making your progress meaningful and also making it so you are still challenged even after conquering your neighbor, and alternately still somewhat competitive if one of your neighbors conquers another.

It's as simple as trying to make the game more even and challenging for longer, without making progress feel bad.

Seems like they're doing an okay job. Maybe it's going to make the pure curbstomp you think you deserve with your massive empire more difficult, but putting some mild breaks on a snowball is a shortsighted thing to complain about.

Magil Zeal posted:

Incidentally it does sound like if pops no longer affect tech costs then Habitats are going to be even better for science and make the research array look worse by comparison.
I assume they'll count as inhabited planets which also penalize you so, pending specific numbers, I wouldn't assume the balance there has been changed in any particular way.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
you know what would make stellaris 200% better? more and better peacetime events and poo poo to do (immersion)! while you're peaceful and building up, give us more events, and large event chains like you can get in CKII but about the internal poo poo going on in your empire.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Given that Stellaris seems to aspire to be an emergent narrative experience in many ways, it kind of has to provide some degree of tall options to at all validate the various options like xenophelia/pacifism. There's a wealth of options for Not Being An Imperialist, and sure you're probably gonna kick the rear end of some slaving despots, but eventually you need something internal to do.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eiba posted:

I assume they'll count as inhabited planets which also penalize you so, pending specific numbers, I wouldn't assume the balance there has been changed in any particular way.

The main reason I brought it up was because of this line:

quote:

...and planets overall having less on an impact on tech costs than before.

Granted, that's somewhat ambiguous ("overall" could mean "obviously this planet has overall less impact because the pops in the planet are no longer counted") but my initial impression was system count would increase tech costs by more than simply colonizing planets. Meaning systems with tons of colonized planets are more efficient tech/unity-wise than the alternative. Which does seem to be a boon for habitats.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Eiba posted:

Stellaris doesn't seem like it's pushing to make tall empires more viable, rather it's trying to address the unsatisfying narrative issues 4X games tend to have.

You have an exciting struggle at first, and then you've won or lost and there's a long, long slog to the finish. That's not a particularly fun pattern, but it's the most pure and natural way for one of these games to play out.

Seems like Stellaris is trying to strike a balance between making your progress meaningful and also making it so you are still challenged even after conquering your neighbor, and alternately still somewhat competitive if one of your neighbors conquers another.

It's as simple as trying to make the game more even and challenging for longer, without making progress feel bad.

Seems like they're doing an okay job. Maybe it's going to make the pure curbstomp you think you deserve with your massive empire more difficult, but putting some mild breaks on a snowball is a shortsighted thing to complain about.

I'd prefer they slow power creep by just making wars much more costly and less rewarding. They kinda wasted the potential of the war system they more or less brought over from their other games. The way it is now you basically have the usual total war with only being able to take so much from your opponent. Instead I think they should have made it so that total war is super devastating so both sides are better off jostling about until it's clear one side will win and then peacing out with a system or two. So expansion is slow and winning one war doesn't mean too much if you do these kinds of wars. Then if you do press all the way the war is super costly by maybe making planetary defences a major pain that will take huge chunks out of your fleet or fleet battles to the end are very undesirable because ships are hard to replace. And all the planets you get are smashed to poo poo so while you got a whole lot of land potentially, it's of little immediate benefit and you paid a huge price for it. Meanwhile your opponents are spending their resources building up their empires instead of setting their resources on fire to win a bunch of lovely ruins.

Right now it's of course you're going to snowball when wars are smashing the enemy deathblob with your deathblob and then chain-invading their planets until they give you all the fully-developed planets you want while your opponents are either trying to do the same or sitting around twiddling their thumbs because they can't build tall.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 7, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Splicer posted:

Planet size goes from 10 (12?) to 25, the difference between a big and small planet can be pretty big. Big planets were already better, but now it's a much more linear betterness.

I prefer trade-offs to no-brainer decisions. Scaling settlement costs based on size could introduce some neat decision points. Short term gains vs long term growth potential.

I have a 9-slot planet in my current game. can't even upgrade the planetary building since I can only have 9 pops. :v:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Fututor Magnus posted:

you know what would make stellaris 200% better? more and better peacetime events and poo poo to do (immersion)! while you're peaceful and building up, give us more events, and large event chains like you can get in CKII but about the internal poo poo going on in your empire.

Hopefully they'll get to this after the Cherryh, which sounds like it's basically polishing/rejiggering up all the other components of the game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I get that, but it does mean that a player will feel penalized for settling a small planet.

What if instead both small and large planets are good and you don't have downsides to settling small planets over large ones?

Edit: Gulli's planet modifiers does a lot to alleviate this because a small planet with a precursor modifier is still hella good. The base game doesn't really have anything going for small planets because, and I don't mean any offense here, the base game planet modifiers are boring.

If small planets are just as valuable as large planets, then what's the point in even having different planet sizes at all?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Don't you pretty much have to colonize every available planet if you want to expand, take over a good chunk of the map and get a decent fleet?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

If small planets are just as valuable as large planets, then what's the point in even having different planet sizes at all?

Large planets are already superior by the virtue that they get better value out of %-based modifiers on buildings. IE a single mineral processing plant gives more value on a planet that can fit 14 mines as opposed to 8. A large planet already provides more value out of a single colony ship (and all the resources required in construing it and sitting through the colonization process) than a small planet. There are lots of reasons to favor large planets over small ones.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The problem isn't that small planets are worse than large it's that small planets are worse than large and you're penalised for having more planets. The combination makes it go from you preferring to colonise larger planets first to you not wanting to colonise smaller planets at all. So what's the point of having small planets?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If there weren't sub-optimal choices in the game it wouldn't be a game, it'd be a movie that keeps pausing on it's own. And there are rare reasons to colonize small planets that make a portion of them viable, such as betharian stone deposits or being close to an enemy's valuable border system.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I think the more subtle solution would be to make sector planets produce less science. That would also adress how there isnt much point to large core sectors.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 7, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Ideally though sub-optimal choices should come from circumstance rendering those choices sub-optimal rather than them being permanently sub-optimal (aka Richard Garfield is wrong :colbert:).

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
But without trap choices how can I easily identify & ignore the filthy casuals?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nevets posted:

But without trap choices how can I easily identify & ignore the filthy casuals?

Don't forget to develop smug sense of superiority from the amazing skill of "googling the choice I should make" you displayed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The correct method is to make the failures at least really funny.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Shugojin posted:

The correct method is to make the failures at least really funny.

This Goon gets it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Although since corvettes don't have a PD slot (I think) and will likely evade a lot of missiles, I guess there's not much point.

You're right, they don't have Point Defence. They also won't be dodging. Most weapons have enough tracking and accuracy that corvette dodging is not a thing early and mid-game. It only comes up at end-game, if at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Don't lasers target missiles, they're just not great at it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Missiles are also (as of right now anyway) innately capable of countering evasion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

Don't lasers target missiles, they're just not great at it?

Nope.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there shouldnt be relative penalization for colonizing small planets. there should be more tall development options to (at least partially) make up the difference in raw number of planets.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thinking of SotS again, I think.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I'd honestly rather see the tech penalty based purely off population. It feels more natural.

Big planets are ALREADY better. They hold more dudes, produce more, get you more bang for the influence/colonization cost, and get bigger benefits from percentage based boosts. Like, if I'm deciding what worlds to sector, I'm going to want to keep bigger planets for myself generally. Why? They're better.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The best way to improve tall is to supecharge the capital and maybe a few other colonies. Like civ V tradition tree.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Futuresight posted:

The problem isn't that small planets are worse than large it's that small planets are worse than large and you're penalised for having more planets. The combination makes it go from you preferring to colonise larger planets first to you not wanting to colonise smaller planets at all. So what's the point of having small planets?

Right now, star port locations- the end is coming and you always need more ships

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eiba posted:

I don't really think the research/unity malus actually does much about that though because if you conquer an enemy world you have to, basically, keep it, unless you want to be forever at war with everybody for genocide.

And there's still very little reason to not do so anyway because it's unlikely that any given world is going to be a net negative before you've conquered half the galaxy.

All it really does is just make expansion kind of unintuitive and give small empires a relative bonus in tech/traditions thus making tech at least overall kind of irrelevant cos even lovely empires can keep up really easily.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lum_ posted:

Super useful if you use a bunch o' mods like me.

https://github.com/WojciechKrysiak/SCModManager

Mmm yes that's the good poo poo right there thank you goon for bringing this to my attention, you've earned your species another year of existence.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really think the research/unity malus actually does much about that though because if you conquer an enemy world you have to, basically, keep it, unless you want to be forever at war with everybody for genocide.

And there's still very little reason to not do so anyway because it's unlikely that any given world is going to be a net negative before you've conquered half the galaxy.

All it really does is just make expansion kind of unintuitive and give small empires a relative bonus in tech/traditions thus making tech at least overall kind of irrelevant cos even lovely empires can keep up really easily.

TBH I feel like the biggest part of tech bonus actually comes from the 5% bonus to energy/min production as those gains are marginal, and don't require the minerals like upgrading the structure does, nor the increased maintenance cost from upgrading through the tiers. Even the ship tiers increase cost and maintenance.

I'd also say that the stuff like needing bigger borders, or a higher naval cap is incredibly rare compared to just plain needing more minerals and energy, and stuff like consumer goods, maintenance and building the planet infrastructure cut into growth really hard in a way that increasing the value of the ships and infrastructure you have through research doesn't, and therefore makes it more optimal for growth.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wiz posted:

Because large planets should be better than small planets.

Small planets only have to be able to outweigh the penalties to be worthwhile. Whether they do that depends on what kind of an empire you're playing, which means colonization is a meaningful choice rather than 'settle every planet because why not'.

They are still better in a pop only cost increase world as others have stated.

It also has the benefit of making a new planet always a good choice, regardless of it's size, up until a pop size that makes it not anymore. It also evens out the starting costs for empires that get poo poo planet size rolls in their vicinity, whereas a #of planet system penalizes empires that get smaller than average ones near then.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just got the Horizon Signal chain for the first time.

That was awesome.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

Are you implying that a player who ignores one of the four exes in "4x" would be at a natural disadvantage in a 4x game?

EDIT: Not An Official Dev Statement.
I think there's a bit of an issue where the phrase "building tall" is being used to mean both "focussing more on the eXploit than the eXpand" and "super weird gimmick builds which require massive expansion but only in a very specific manner".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Or, in the case of Stellaris, fiddling with galaxy generation to allow you to play tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I just got the Horizon Signal chain for the first time.

That was awesome.

Always love the worm.

• Locked thread