Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
How are flamer Aggressors doing at their new points cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

dexefiend posted:

If they are either in a Repulsor or Raven Guard, they're great. If they are not they are pretty bad.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

Seriously, why bother doing this when it can just be 4 heavy flamers instead?

more wounds to eat overwatch, more attacks with the Red Thirst bonus when they get in, unless you've stocked the squad up with bolter guys past the min squad requirements

but yeah, works just as good with a pile of heavy flamer devs

mango sentinel posted:

For some reason I thought for sure Erebus had become a daemon.

he was still flesh and blood when he led the word bearers element of the 13th Black Crusade afaik

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Uroboros posted:

-Sex Cannon has a band, and was late for a show because he is more dedicated to 40k. This is proper priority placement. He probably told me he has a band, I just forgot, his life beyond 40k is irrelevant...except maybe his lifting habits.
-Was pretty stoked to see you both at Adepticon, and knowing you won't be there sucks.

Just so ya know, I will be at Adepticon. We can talk about lifting instead of anime this time.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

zeal posted:

there's nothing garbo about a flamer+heavy flamer blood angels tactical squad charging from 8" or less after a 9" disembark and move from a rhino, raven, land raider etc.

Literally every model and option you listed is overpriced inefficient garbage.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Naramyth posted:

Literally every model and option you listed is overpriced inefficient garbage.

they're what i've got, and they've done good fuckin work in 8th

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Sex Cannon posted:

Just so ya know, I will be at Adepticon. We can talk about lifting instead of anime this time.

He's just sad because Campbell is the cute one. Don't worry Uroboros, because I will be there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mango sentinel posted:

For some reason I thought for sure Erebus had become a daemon.

It's part of the tragic joke about Erebus and Kor Phaeron: Chaos doesn't really give a poo poo about them or their ambitions, it only used them to get at the real prize of Lorgar.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That was less Ahriman and more Tzeentch. And no, that was the whole point. Tzeentch was already loving over the 1k sons and turning them all to chaos spawn. Ahriman was trying to save them from tzeentch warp mutation; and he did. Even if Magnus could reverse it, they'd still be hosed.

Thats how Tzeentch rolls. His whole MO is creating xanatos gambits. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way tzeentch wins :)

Although, as I recall at one point during the leadup to 8th ed, Ynnari was shown to be powerful enough to reverse that and make them into actual flesh and blood marines again.
And then promptly evicted them out of the part of the webway they were in much to Ahriman's anger who scrambled to try to save them.
Don't think its been explored what happened beyond that point.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dexefiend posted:

Considering now they cost the same as boltstorm aggressors instead of being cheaper I wouldn't think they compare too well.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Also, does Magnus just not give a poo poo what happened to his legion? If he's a sorcerer of that magnitude, can he not just reverse Ahriman's gently caress up?

As per The Crimson King , when Russ hosed Magnus's poo poo up, his soul split into shards, each an independent entity with the all the memories of Magnus and a portion of his powers. Each shard represents a different aspect of is personality, one is a scholar, one is Magnus at his most warlike and on Nikea the shard that repented his hope for the future, and so on. All shards were reclaimed and reintegrated into the largest piece, the bit that ended up on the planet of the sorcerers after Magnus's GTFO maneuver.
All except one, the one that was basically Magnus's moral compass, or goodness. That one was trapped in the imperial palace (and later merged with a legionnaire to create the first grey Knight grand master).

The end result is a daemon primarch with almost all of his primarchy powers, but utterly bereft of compassion.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

As per The Crimson King , when Russ hosed Magnus's poo poo up, his soul split into shards, each an independent entity with the all the memories of Magnus and a portion of his powers. Each shard represents a different aspect of is personality, one is a scholar, one is Magnus at his most warlike and on Nikea the shard that repented his hope for the future, and so on. All shards were reclaimed and reintegrated into the largest piece, the bit that ended up on the planet of the sorcerers after Magnus's GTFO maneuver.
All except one, the one that was basically Magnus's moral compass, or goodness. That one was trapped in the imperial palace (and later merged with a legionnaire to create the first grey Knight grand master).

The end result is a daemon primarch with almost all of his primarchy powers, but utterly bereft of compassion.

This is the good poo poo right here (and real sad).

Lmao, Fulgrim somehow looks worse as a daemon than he did as a normal primarch.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Its worth noting that contrary to what was said earlier Lorgar isn't actually any bigger as a daemon prince, he just has a crown of horns now and is hands down the most powerful of all servants of chaos.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Is this even dumber than the article about stratagems that I posted?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/12/40k-the-great-painting-matched-play-debate.html

Bell of Lost Souls bright light "Stormy" suggests various gameplay penalties for people with unpainted models, because painted models help bring people into the hobby (?). And there's nothing like harsh, arbitrary penalties for aesthetic faults to draw in new players!

My favorite part is when he proudly announces that he uses AT LEAST five colors on all his models, because as we know the number of colors used corresponds exactly to the artistic quality of the model.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/12/40k-the-great-painting-matched-play-debate.html

Bell of Lost Souls bright light "Stormy" suggests various gameplay penalties for people with unpainted models, because painted models help bring people into the hobby (?). And there's nothing like harsh, arbitrary penalties for aesthetic faults to draw in new players!

My favorite part is when he proudly announces that he uses AT LEAST five colors on all his models, because as we know the number of colors used corresponds exactly to the artistic quality of the model.

He's not wrong that painted models help bring people into the hobby. When I'm playing in store there are a lot more random people asking me about the hobby / my army than the other people playing with grey plastic. He's an idiot for thinking there should be gameplay penalties for unpainted models.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

Stop reading BoLS. It's trash. :ssh:

And 5 colors? My black recipe alone uses five colors when you factor in highlights and poo poo. :shepicide:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stupid Newbie: How the hell does one go about picking war gear for a unit? I've got 17 options for my Plague Marines and that feels like 14 too many for someone who has only played a few games.

If I'm going to run 3x 5-man squads, should one squad get a bunch of Plasmas, another squad get some Plague guns, another squad go hard on the Melee weapons?

Edit: Oh, and how do I know if I can only run 1 of something? At first I thought that's what the Character keyword was, but that's not the case. Can I, for example, run multiple Tallyman?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 7, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Playing unpainted is its own penalty.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Are all the surviving Chaos Primarchs Daemon Princes? Is Abaddon the only high ranking Chaos mortal in 40k?

Omegon is probably still human but nobody knows :shrug:

zeal posted:

unless omegon survived the heresy, probably on the first part. on the second part erebus, kharn, ahriman, fabius and a fair few other important heretic characters are still kicking around as mortals. plus the additions to their rogues gallery since then, like huron blackheart. this is true of the legions that never fully withdrew into the Eye though, like the night lords and alpha legion. without the time fuckery of life inside a warp rift, their heresy-era characters have all been gotten by time or enemy attrition

Yeah, but Kharn and Ahriman and Fabius ain't primarchs.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Edit: Oh, and how do I know if I can only run 1 of something? At first I thought that's what the Character keyword was, but that's not the case. Can I, for example, run multiple Tallyman?

It will explicitly say on the datasheet. "You can only include one of this model in your army" or something similar, the top most sentences where it describes unit sizes on a data sheet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artum posted:

Its worth noting that contrary to what was said earlier Lorgar isn't actually any bigger as a daemon prince, he just has a crown of horns now and is hands down the most powerful of all servants of chaos.

Size matters not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Stupid Newbie: How the hell does one go about picking war gear for a unit? I've got 17 options for my Plague Marines and that feels like 14 too many for someone who has only played a few games.

If I'm going to run 3x 5-man squads, should one squad get a bunch of Plasmas, another squad get some Plague guns, another squad go hard on the Melee weapons?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Death_Guard(8E)

quote:

Now, these guys have a massive array of options that let you gear them for specific purposes. 2 per squad can take either a Plasma Gun, Meltagun, Blight Launcher (which is a Plague Weapon, remember), Plague Belcher (plague flamer), or Plague Spewer (plague heavy flamer). 2 more can take either a Great Plague Cleaver (basically a plague Power Fist with D1d6) or a Flail of Corruption (S+2 AP-2 D2, makes D3 hit rolls per attack, damage rolls over between models, plague). YET two more can take a Bubotic Axe (plague Power Axe) and Mace of Contagion (plague Power Maul with D3, -1 To Hit, and plague). ANY of the other non-Champion models can lose the Boltgun for either a Bubotic Axe or a second Plague Knife. The Champ retains very few of his options, namely Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Gun (!), Plague Sword, and Power Fist. With all this, the unit is extremely flexible, able to be geared for melee or for range. Some of the simplest options include: 5 with 2 Blight Launchers and 2 Flails, 5 with 3 Plasma Guns and 2 Cleavers, 5 with 2 Plague Belchers and 2 Flails.

Then go check out the wargear section for a description of which of those are better at what. But basically choose to make a squad that's either more shooty or more smashy or a medium hybrid, then make sure you play that unit to its strengths. Probably take a few squads and kit them out different and use them in different roles, or maybe kit them the same and try to use them the same. Strategy! The freedom / choice can be very overwhelming though, yeah.

When in doubt: Do what looks coolest

But yeah, one plasma, one plague, and one melee sounds pretty sensible to me. Thing is, do you have anti-armor? If no, you def need those plasmas. But if you have some other unit to fill that role, you could do something like double melee or double plague instead. Its about what other units you have more than anything. You want your overall army list to be round enough to handle whatever comes at you. If you're entirely focused on fighting hoard armies, for instance, then when you go up against Gulliman or Grey Knights or IDK loving land raiders or something you're gonna have trouble. So you want to cover all bases.

Basically the only things you can only run 1 of are explicitly named dudes, like Girlyman or Mortarion or Dante. It'll say "you can only have 1 <x> in your army".

Character means they're on their own and allowed to do cool poo poo without having to stick with a unit. And they have to be a character to get warlord traits. So yeah, you can have multiple Tallymen. Or multiple Plague Priests or whatever they're called.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 7, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zuul the Cat posted:

:getout:

More sexy snakes plz

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

More sexy snakes plz

Did someone say sexy snakes? Stylistically I actually kinda love this model. Its from WFB but I got one for use in 40k anyways as a Slaanesh Lord, although I'll probably never actually field him:

not really NSFW but almost so I guess I'll spoil tag this just in case.

Very different from all the other chaos lords in appearance. The trojan helm, the polearm instead of sword, the samurai style back-banner-flag, etc. Could probably do without the snaketits but... slaanesh gonna slaanesh.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sab669 posted:

Unless stated otherwise you can use as many of Thing as you have Slots that Thing fits into.

As to weapons, think about what role you want that squad to fulfil. In their previous incarnations I would use three teams of seven (Nurgle's holy number) men. One squad carried two plasmaguns each and nothing special on the champion. While the other two had some combination of meltaguns or flamers alongside a plasmagunner, an Icon, and their champions were armed with power fists.
The double plasma squad would hold the home objective and focus on ranged fire, while the other two were all-rounders, with the fist for armoured targets and swapping in either the flamer or melta depending on the type of enemy I'd see. They would ride around in Rhinos looking for trouble.

The new book changes Plague Marine options hugely, and like you I found it rather overwhelming to begin with. But it boils down to the same thing as before, pick a roll for the squad and arm them for it. Although, with a little more room for flexibility now. Case in point, the option of taking a plasmagun on the champion is a huge boost.

I'm painting a new DG army (using my old models until I can replace them) and the first squad is probably going to be all-rounders:
Seven Plague Marines
-Champ w/ Plasmagun, powerfist
-Icon of Despair
-Plasmagun
-Blight launcher or meltagun
Maybe a fancy combat weapon.

If I wanted an assault team I'd go with a meltagun, plague belcher, and some of the fancy combat options.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gilgameshback posted:

I can see penalties for tournaments for playing with unpainted models. But not for casual play.

I've also heard of slow-grow leagues where painted models effectively have preferred enemy against unpainted models.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I've also heard of slow-grow leagues where painted models effectively have preferred enemy against unpainted models.

Yeah I've heard that houserule crop up here and there amongst podcast and thread discussions about that.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Groetgaffel posted:

This continues into 'present day' 40k as well, being a fairly large part of the third Ahriman book. Having different shards trying to out do the other via proxy champions.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Gilgameshback posted:

I use five different loving colours painting bone. What I don't do is get lovely with people and demand advantages for being a reasonable painter, because I don't spend my time huffing my own farts trying to find ways to feel superior to other people as if I'm part of some sort of loving elite for having moderate hand eye co-ordination and my eyes not failing yet.

Also what the gently caress is a ninker?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but Kharn and Ahriman and Fabius ain't primarchs.

so what part of "Is Abaddon the only high ranking chaos mortal in 40k?" in that dude's question could you not read

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
e: nm found a set

vvv These are great! I love the banner

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 7, 2017

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

***Cross-post from the good/dead Warhammer Thread***

In the spirit of me trying to whore myself and to keep the thread alive please see my badly painted wolf space mans.

https://www.instagram.com/bjorn_no_beard30k/?hl=en

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gilgameshback posted:

If you're playing in a tournament then I would hope to see painted armies. It's been years since I played at NOVA but I recall Mike having a fairly simple minimum standard that was easy to judge and accept. The second you get beyond a ridiculously easy minimum standard (multiple colors and based) then it becomes bullshit. Personally I feel embarrassed when I field my gray dudes against someone like The Sex Cannon and his nicely painted guard; getting a painted army done was half the reason I chose Primaris.

So far I have 5 guys. Don't laugh.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I'm assuming this is because he's the chosen of Chaos Undivided and the first to turn, right? He's the main architect of pretty much the entire heresy?

Funny how they make him the most powerful and just lock him away in a tower.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

More sexy snakes plz

Here's one:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm assuming this is because he's the chosen of Chaos Undivided and the first to turn, right? He's the main architect of pretty much the entire heresy?

Funny how they make him the most powerful and just lock him away in a tower.
To be fair, Lorgar is... Lorgar.

Stanyer89 posted:

***Cross-post from the good/dead Warhammer Thread***

In the spirit of me trying to whore myself and to keep the thread alive please see my badly painted wolf space mans.

https://www.instagram.com/bjorn_no_beard30k/?hl=en
Awuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 7, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
bols.png

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lorgar isn't presented as a bold thinker who takes the Imperium in a brave new direction, he's basically a mark who falls for a scam the Emperor already saw through.

The Emperor's plan was (seemingly) to con the conmen, but then Lorgar goes all in on the Nigerian prince's email.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I use five different loving colours painting bone. What I don't do is get lovely with people and demand advantages for being a reasonable painter, because I don't spend my time huffing my own farts trying to find ways to feel superior to other people as if I'm part of some sort of loving elite for having moderate hand eye co-ordination and my eyes not failing yet.

Also what the gently caress is a ninker?

Ooh, I know this one. It is one of the pseudo swear words that Dan Abnett uses in one of his inquisitor books. It is a very comic book thing. This was a particularly bad one...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zeal posted:

so what part of "Is Abaddon the only high ranking chaos mortal in 40k?" in that dude's question could you not read

A couple of books have suggested that the likes of Abaddon, Kharn, Ahriman, Typhus, and Lucius have all been offered ascension to daemon prince but they've refused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ninker is actually a word, but yeah, that fucker is absolutely using it in the belief it's in-universe.