Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Two-day PSN flash sale (in the US at least). Some newish full-price stuff around $40 but I think I'm finally gonna snag P5 for $30. Had planned to get it physical but missed the Black Friday deals and its PSN page says it's only 20GB which is more reasonable than I was thinking for my lovely internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I usually end up disliking games that give trophies in the first 30 seconds, and this was no exception. Not that I care about trophies, mind you, it's just a common theme I've noticed.

Some games do this as a quick and dirty way to track how users are playing the game, what parts they like and don't like, and suchlike, without needing to build a ton of telemetry into the game. How popular is the X subsystem? Well, check and see how many people got the trophy for completing that skill tree or whatever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I got the first 2 trophies after 3 minutes of playtime and quit. These games are a dime a dozen and have nothing to say.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I got the first 2 trophies after 3 minutes of playtime and quit. These games are a dime a dozen and have nothing to say.

Tying game quality to trophy gain is such a ridiculous thing to do, as much as refusing to play a game because it's too hard to get a platinum

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Shadow225 posted:

They just filed the patent, so I would be surprised if it's currently in place for any games. CoD:WWII would have been the only possible game, right? I doubt that Activision would have let other companies use the tech for free before filing the patent.
Naw, the filing is 2 years old. They patent it to prevent EA or Ubi or some other publisher from stealing their idea and probably hoping to license it so anyone can use it but then has to pay them a cut of the lootbox sales or whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Two-day PSN flash sale (in the US at least). Some newish full-price stuff around $40 but I think I'm finally gonna snag P5 for $30. Had planned to get it physical but missed the Black Friday deals and its PSN page says it's only 20GB which is more reasonable than I was thinking for my lovely internet.

That’s the TGA sale, not Flash. Every game marketplace is doing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Tying game quality to trophy gain is such a ridiculous thing to do, as much as refusing to play a game because it's too hard to get a platinum

Look, I didn't say there was a logic to it, it's just my irrational reaction. There are so so so many indie games out there just riffing on an art style or a single lonely gameplay mechanic or one dance groove synced to movement or whathaveyou...that don't bring anything else to the table. The indie market is absolutely saturated right now with clone-like 4 hour titles, and many of them try to "hook" the player with witty trophies within the first few minutes. It's a bad way to present a game, if you ask me, and even if something like Forma.8 is actually good (by goon testament it seems to be) it managed to burn that bridge with me right away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got tired of Forma.8 at the first 'boss' (miniboss?). The controls and how slowly your guy moves is real tedious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I got tired of Forma.8 at the first 'boss' (miniboss?). The controls and how slowly your guy moves is real tedious.

It's just so so slow. I kinda like it otherwise but I still got bored

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheCenturion posted:

Some games do this as a quick and dirty way to track how users are playing the game, what parts they like and don't like, and suchlike, without needing to build a ton of telemetry into the game. How popular is the X subsystem? Well, check and see how many people got the trophy for completing that skill tree or whatever.

Story achievements seemed kinda dumb to me and then someone told me that and when I was playing Persona I looked at the percentage rate and it was really weird to see exactly where the drop offs were.

I don’t blame devs for using this to their advantage at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trophies are really enlightening sometimes in showing just how differently people play games. Last I checked only like 5% of all Injustice 2 players had the “play 5
Ranked matches” achievement.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

.hack G.U. has only a 50.8% completion rate for volume 1 :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

isn't that still pretty new? big games take a while to finish

plus most games have fairly low completion rates. lotta people don't finish their games

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The trophy percentages for Bloodborne are shockingly high, so high that I suspect they might only be counting players that make it past the first boss or something artificial like that.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Oh it's only about a month old! So that's not too bad. I'm losing track of time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The trophy percentages for Bloodborne are shockingly high, so high that I suspect they might only be counting players that make it past the first boss or something artificial like that.

It's a pretty easy game tbh

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Niche games tend to have a higher completion rate as people that actually buy/play the game intend to complete/play as much as possible.

Alternatively, bloodborne is that good that it makes more people more likely to finish the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also if you finish it you will get 90% of the trophies naturally.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Niche games tend to have a higher completion rate as people that actually buy/play the game intend to complete/play as much as possible.

Alternatively, bloodborne is that good that it makes more people more likely to finish the game.

Bloodborne sold millions of copies. Is it still niche then?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Also if you finish it you will get 90% of the trophies naturally.

The only things that actually take effort are the additional endings and the chalice if there’s one tied to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two, beast claws for all weapons and the super secret boss.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Bloodborne plat is pretty painless. There's nothing tied to farming online covenant stuff like... Dark Souls 3 :smithicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

e: nvm I'm dumb

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Bloodborne plat is pretty painless. There's nothing tied to farming online covenant stuff like... Dark Souls 3 :smithicide:

I just bought this and now I’m sad because I love getting everything on Souls game. How bad is DS3 about it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just bought this and now I’m sad because I love getting everything on Souls game. How bad is DS3 about it?

Really bad. You have to get all rings and all spells which requires getting to the end of almost every covenant, which is a huge pain.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Trophies are really enlightening sometimes in showing just how differently people play games. Last I checked only like 5% of all Injustice 2 players had the “play 5
Ranked matches” achievement.

I agree it's interesting. I like looking at games with both a single player and multiplayer component. CoD has often has higher achievement percentages for MP trophies than it does for SP. I think it was Battlefield: Hardline where most people basically disregarded the campaign after the first mission.

Trophy data was actually used in arguing for matchmaking in Destiny in articles and forums. People quoted the trophy percentage for the raids and said that a lack of matchmaking prevented most people from accessing key parts of the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No way around it? I recall a few covenant toed spells in 2 you could get by reaching NG++ and buying them at the castle.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Infuriatingly bad. You have to fully rank up a few covenants to get a spell and a ring. It sucks, I gave up on ever platting it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it might actually be worse than demon's souls in this regard. I just gave up trying because it's profoundly not worth it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't waste time doin poo poo you hate just for a trophy.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It's not like they're gonna fly out and pat you on the back for sinking all that time into a video game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No way around it? I recall a few covenant toed spells in 2 you could get by reaching NG++ and buying them at the castle.

you can farm covenant items but they have like a .1% drop rate or some garbage

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The one covenant where you have to farm ears or whatever from Silver Knights in Anor Londo pretty much requires a full respec to 99 Luck and a bunch of luck boosting gear/buffs to get anywhere in it. Still not as bad as Demon's Souls pure bladestone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Infuriatingly bad. You have to fully rank up a few covenants to get a spell and a ring. It sucks, I gave up on ever platting it

Yeah, I platted DS3 but it took me at least 50 hours longer than I expected it to. I remember the moment I decided that I was almost there and I might as well go for it, how naive I was.

Also, I platted it closer to Ringed City's launch, so there were more people online at the time. Good luck with those covenants now. :suicide:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There should be a website that just exists to warn people which, if any, trophies in a game are total horseshit that can be skipped without feeling like you’re wimping out.

Like an internet Robin Williams to lovingly embrace all the trophy hunting Matt Damons out there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

There should be a website that just exists to warn people which, if any, trophies in a game are total horseshit that can be skipped

Here's a hint :

It's all of them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well see, to an extent I like them because oftentimes they push me to try playstyles I normally wouldn’t bother with or just explore parts of the game systems that I would normally ignore. So I like to get them if I can. But if there are some that are just completely unreasonable, I’d like to know that too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as I love all of those games I've never been remotely tempted to plat one except Bloodborne which was a really fun platinum to get. I was really disappointed that DS3 didn't have a plat more akin to it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I couldn't get a screenshot of it for the normal bullshit reasons but Kiryu was just making moe gestures while a nearly naked man was taking low-angle pictures of him....who I then had to beat up. The Yakuza series is operating inside expected parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want 6 so badly rn