Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I would have assumed PF -> head to head -> division win%.

Given the 2nd and third of those tie... I'm a bit at a loss at what the next one would be - other than something that obviously doesn't need to be determined right now.

PA? ('hardest path'?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm so bummed I just missed the playoffs. I was the leader of division 2 for every week except week 2 or 3 the whole season only to stumble at the last minute.

Not sure what to do with my team going forward. AB84 is still the best but he's the highest salaried player in the league and perhaps I'd be better off with a cheaper receiver and a better QB than Dak. Decisions!

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm so bummed I just missed the playoffs. I was the leader of division 2 for every week except week 2 or 3 the whole season only to stumble at the last minute.

Not sure what to do with my team going forward. AB84 is still the best but he's the highest salaried player in the league and perhaps I'd be better off with a cheaper receiver and a better QB than Dak. Decisions!

Yeah, this is tricky.

The big problem is that you don't have anyone cheap who's giving you contributions really (and Hunt's fall off really hurt you). Your 3 backup WRs are $7, $9 and $9. Cam coming off your IR is probably better for next season, too. You probably need to drop them and find cheaper fills, if you want to keep AB. Trading AB at $68 ($75 next season?) is probably near impossible, so you'd be dropping him for 0 value. Or maybe trading him for someone who's not nearly as good and also overpriced. I'm coming up on a similar decision with Julio or AJ for next season. Similarly, you're spending $9 on DL14, who you could replace as an IDP flex with a cheaper LB/DB. If you replaced those 4 with $1 players, dropped your IR (or mills and keep cam), you'd have just enough space to add a first round pick to your roster.

Things get real tight moving forward from there, though. Would almost need to look at next year as a win-now situation and probably lose brown after. Alternatively, you could drop AB and re-build a little.

I do suspect folks would be interested in Dak if you were looking to part ways -- I could be potentially interested as well. My gut says Dak is going to recover. Anyway, if you want to talk about any trade stuff, I'm always game to chat!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The rest of you guys with high priced players that you can't afford: I have a few decent low-price players that I would be willing to move for a high performer. Picks too.

I have cap space too.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Zauper posted:

Yeah, this is tricky.

The big problem is that you don't have anyone cheap who's giving you contributions really (and Hunt's fall off really hurt you). Your 3 backup WRs are $7, $9 and $9. Cam coming off your IR is probably better for next season, too. You probably need to drop them and find cheaper fills, if you want to keep AB. Trading AB at $68 ($75 next season?) is probably near impossible, so you'd be dropping him for 0 value. Or maybe trading him for someone who's not nearly as good and also overpriced. I'm coming up on a similar decision with Julio or AJ for next season. Similarly, you're spending $9 on DL14, who you could replace as an IDP flex with a cheaper LB/DB. If you replaced those 4 with $1 players, dropped your IR (or mills and keep cam), you'd have just enough space to add a first round pick to your roster.

Things get real tight moving forward from there, though. Would almost need to look at next year as a win-now situation and probably lose brown after. Alternatively, you could drop AB and re-build a little.

I do suspect folks would be interested in Dak if you were looking to part ways -- I could be potentially interested as well. My gut says Dak is going to recover. Anyway, if you want to talk about any trade stuff, I'm always game to chat!

I was expecting this year to be a win now year to be honest. I started the season with Carson Palmer, Dak and Trevor Siemian and thought between them I'd be able to finagle good starting QB numbers but it was not to be.

I also think that Dak will get better but not having another competent QB cost me this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got similar decisions to make. I started at the draft thinking it was a rebuilding year and I just desperately needed to find a QB: so why not take three and probably one will work out. Sure enough! Meanwhile, Evans and Crabtree and Powell and Olsen were a good enough combo that I thought, OK, keep Bell and see if I can reduce the price on Miller and I've got a contending team. Getting Keuchly helped too.

And then Watson died, Powell inexplicably can't string together good weeks, Miller's rookie backup is outshining him, Evans has been a gigantic bust, and Crabtree isn't good enough or consistent enough to carry the team. I've got some other pieces I'm really happy with: Sanu, Griffen, Burnett... but gently caress if I know what I'm gonna do next year. Bell is gonna be $62. Evans will cost $41, and that's questionable, will he return to form or fade out? I can certainly clear some cap space, a number of guys that aren't worth their next-year salaries come to mind, but I just have no drat idea whether I've got hope of coming out of the draft with a contending team, or if I should think of 2018 as a tear-down rebuild.

I traded away my first round pick on the assumption I was probably not going to be able to afford him, but I've loaded up on later-round picks.

Note that First Down Syndrome has four picks in the first two rounds. You might not have as much cap space as you think, Spermy. Who da Titoons probably has a late 1st, and your own will probably be mid to early round, so you're looking at like $34 for your 1st rounders and $16 more for your second rounders. $50 for four players ain't nothing!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Making the playoffs in year one of a rebuild is confusing and muddying my ~~***process***~~

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy or teemu if either of you could possibly set up the tournament brackets, I'd appreciate it. I've got too much to do to likely get it done before Thursday.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
To be completely honest I didnt even look at the standings or scoring to do the brackets.

Zauper did it for me, I just plugged in what he said. All credit goes to him for helping out.

http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/options?L=79286&O=79

Edit:

These are the corrected (see below) seeds. The bracket was already set up so I just input the seeds.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 6, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

It looks weird to me because it feels like normally you would have the team with the bye playing with winner of 4-5 in the consolation bracket, not 3-6. But those seeds should be right.

e: i made a mistake. FDS is 4-9, garb is 3-10. Their seeds should be reversed. I had just assumed he was lower seed because of PF.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It looks probably right to me although I have not double-checked the seedings. One task will be each week to set up a game between the various bracket losers that get eliminated from their tournaments; see rule 4.3.3. IIRC there's no way to set this up to automatically happen in MFL, you have to manually set the match.

It's also a good idea to capture somewhere the Points For scored as of today, to make it easy to do the rankings per rule 4.5 for the draft seeding.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Lowest 4 PF
Gridiron: 1496.98
FDS: 1545.94
Garbage: 1679.57
McLean: 1737.5

Ash has 1738.98 so that's pretty drat close for 4th place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah Ash should be recorded in the list too (which you just did) because any one of those five teams could win the consolation bracket and thus be 5th place overall instead of in the bottom four.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah Ash should be recorded in the list too (which you just did) because any one of those five teams could win the consolation bracket and thus be 5th place overall instead of in the bottom four.

You can always use this: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/standings?L=79286&W=13 to discover standings (including PF) for every week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

...I knew that! But I temporarily forgot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Received payment of Epi Lepi's 2018 dues.

Chen Kenichi I've requested your 2018 dues at least three times now. I do apologize for forgetting to demand them before you traded picks, but you've had a lot of time and several reminders since; our league rules do not declare what should happen if someone hasn't paid their dues in order to make a trade, but the commissioners will need to discuss that if you can't or won't pay up.

See rule 1.5 and its sub-rules: we were not supposed to even permit this trade to happen until you'd paid your dues, but by the time I noticed, it was too late to back out the trade without it effectively penalizing your trade partner unfairly.

It's $30.83, which is probably not a great hardship. If you have some specific issue preventing you from paying, feel free to let any of us know, here or privately. Alternatively you could attempt to trade back for that fourth round pick you traded to STRAIGHT BASS HOMIE/Teemu Pokemon, if you just don't want to commit to playing next year.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
Hmm the 'points for' changed again.. how many point adjustments occur per week on this system? Titoons is 3pts ahead of me but we were 1892.61 to 1892.31 before.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

therealVECNAmfers posted:

Hmm the 'points for' changed again.. how many point adjustments occur per week on this system? Titoons is 3pts ahead of me but we were 1892.61 to 1892.31 before.

Final adjustment is usually on Thursday -- you lost a PD or FR in the final stats, I'd guess.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
I blame the russians.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the MNF game gets adjusted wednesday night, and sites pick up the points adjustements thursday.

The official stat adjustments are found under the Help menu (of all the loving places, for gently caress's sake, why in the HELL aren't they under Reports or league stuff or player stuff or something???)

http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/site_news?CATEGORY=Official+Statistics+Changes&L=79286
You can see right now at the top it's a publication from Wed at 8pm pacific/11pm eastern.

Here's the adjustments for the steelers/bengals game:

quote:

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinnati Bengals

Antonio Brown: from 15 to 16 Pass Targets.
Jesse James: from 2 to 1 Pass Targets.
Sean Davis: from 4 to 5 Tackles.
Sean Davis: from 3 to 2 Assists.
Tyler Matakevich: from 3 to 2 Assists.

And also note the note at the bottom of the report:

quote:

If you want to apply these stat changes to your league on myfantasyleague.com, you can use the For Commissioners > Statistics Changes menu item. Only changes that were made official by 10am ET are included in this weekly update. Any official stat corrections made after 10am ET of the current week will not be automatically applied to your league.

My understanding is that stat corrections are almost always made in time, but apparently there could possibly be corrections we don't automatically pick up if they're made very late.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Does that change any seeding stuff?

I dont think so, but just in case...

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Does that change any seeding stuff?

I dont think so, but just in case...

No. It would only change seeding if he had passed me.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

So... anyone want to sell me some top tier IDP players? I don't have much in the way of picks, but I have some other resources I'm willing to move.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I'm fairly unhappy with 100% of the trades I've made this year, and in particular A) gave up too much for certain IDP guys and B) sold an IDP guy for too little. Like my most recent trade giving away gio for micah hyde was basically a guarantee that mixon would get hurt.

But sure what the gently caress, send me offers. I could deal up to one each of LBs and DBs.

We've been discussing adjusting scoring during this summer, though, so keep that in mind: uncertainty breeds conservatism.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Zauper posted:

So... anyone want to sell me some top tier IDP players? I don't have much in the way of picks, but I have some other resources I'm willing to move.

I have IDPs I'm willing to move pretty much all of them except maybe Jack and Bruckner but I could probably be convinced

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Shouldn't offensive players get points for PDs as well? Looks like AJ has a PD this week but no scoring for it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Dez Bryant had more PD than the entire cowboys defense up until week 10.

But he was playing offense at the time.

Was AJ on a defensive play? Our scoring is getting completely revamped in the off-season to fix things like this.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Double post.

If I accidentally win the Bad Team Cup do I still get my top 4 pick?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Dez Bryant had more PD than the entire cowboys defense up until week 10.

But he was playing offense at the time.

Was AJ on a defensive play? Our scoring is getting completely revamped in the off-season to fix things like this.

Dunno, I wasn't watching, I just see it in the score sheet.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
He had to be on defense. Offensive passes defensed doesn't exist. They just called incomplete.

But yeah, our scoring doesn't allow this I don't think. Offensive players get offensive scoring.

JJ watt putting up 3 scoring TD's at tight end would have netted him zero.

I am going to fix this but holy loving hell you should see the scoring on MFL. It's scary to even think about it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Love that Hunt and Collins are having their best days of the year when I’m on bye but at least it makes me feel like I might have 2 good RBs going into next year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Double post.

If I accidentally win the Bad Team Cup do I still get my top 4 pick?

I think you know the answer to this but no, you don't. Winning the consolation bracket means you finished the league in fifth place, and you pick fifth from last. See rule 4.5.1.1.

Work is kicking my rear end this week: I worked 12 hours today and will probably do so again tomorrow. I'm gonna rely on Spermy and Teemu to manage the playoff admin stuff. You'll need to look at the adjusted results on Wednesday and set up matchups for the loser of the wildcard match and the losers in the consolation tourney, and then also make sure the second round of the consolation tourney gets seeded correctly.

We do need to fix the scoring. It makes sense to me that offensive and defensive players should all qualify for the same scoring; but we'll have to explicitly make it so in our rules. Right now the rules separate out offensive and defensive scoring and they are not totally parallel. See rules 5.2 and 5.3.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Glad I had a bye. I wouldn't have beaten either wild card team. Get well soon, Kamara :love:

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think you know the answer to this but no, you don't. Winning the consolation bracket means you finished the league in fifth place, and you pick fifth from last. See rule 4.5.1.1.

So, here's a question for next season: should it be 4th, 5th, or 6th?

We give cash awards to the top 3 + consolation winner - that's an argument that they should be 4th, not 5th, right? However, they didn't qualify for the playoffs, which also means they could be considered behind the wild card loser (6th). Not sure what the logic is for 5th. Prize puts them ahead of the WC loser, but not the 4th place loser?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Work is kicking my rear end this week: I worked 12 hours today and will probably do so again tomorrow. I'm gonna rely on Spermy and Teemu to manage the playoff admin stuff. You'll need to look at the adjusted results on Wednesday and set up matchups for the loser of the wildcard match and the losers in the consolation tourney, and then also make sure the second round of the consolation tourney gets seeded correctly.

Unless there's a change for some reason, the consolation tourney has a bracket that it's following -- Whalers gets Garb, you play Chefs. I do think it's weird that the base bracket has the bye team playing the winner of 3-6 instead of 4-5, but it seems fine to just follow the bracket?

For the other teams..

BOF, Team Mclean, Ash, FDS.

I suppose those can be seeded however for their games really? But if we were doing top v bottom, it would be:
BOF vs FDS
and
Ash vs Mclean.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zauper posted:

So, here's a question for next season: should it be 4th, 5th, or 6th?

We give cash awards to the top 3 + consolation winner - that's an argument that they should be 4th, not 5th, right? However, they didn't qualify for the playoffs, which also means they could be considered behind the wild card loser (6th). Not sure what the logic is for 5th. Prize puts them ahead of the WC loser, but not the 4th place loser?

Bottom 4 people get one of the top 4 picks. 5th means you just missed the top 4 pick, so here's $20 instead. That's why it's 5th and not 4th anyway.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Bottom 4 people get one of the top 4 picks. 5th means you just missed the top 4 pick, so here's $20 instead. That's why it's 5th and not 4th anyway.

Wrong direction. The winner of consolation gets pick 1.08, the 5th to last pick, and money. The loser of the 3rd place game gets pick 1.09, the 4th to last pick and no money. That's what I find confusing. I feel like either the winner of consolation should be 1.09 and get money, or... 4th place should also get money? Not sure how that would work because the prize pools aren't huge.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 12, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I mean, that sort of still makes sense to me though.

The team who got 3rd is a better team, so they should get a draft pick later than the team who didn't even make playoffs.

The money I dont know or really care about. It's $20 or something, so it's not a huge sum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's $20.

The logic goes like this:

-the wildcard match is just to decide who gets into the playoffs for realsies. The loser never really made the playoffs and is kind of boned since they're also not contending for the consolation bracket. That's the risk you take by being a wildcard team! Win your division next time.
-The semifinals and finals determine the top four teams in the league.
-The consolation bracket determines the "best loser" in the league, but that guy shouldn't be ranked above any of the teams that actually made the playoffs. But there needs to be some kind of prize for winning it, or owners won't be incentivized to bother trying to win (and having teams with multiple weeks of meaningless games is bad, because it encourages player dumping and trades with the contending teams in weird ways etc.) So... $20 is almost as much as your annual dues. (We could increase it to $33 to fully cover the next year's dues, perhaps?)

and then, separately:
-Oh, how much money do we have in the prize pool? OK, let's pay it out to three places, because there's not that much money, right? $160/$80/$40 is a nice progression by halves which added to the $20 consolation prize equals the prize money. Seems nice and even. Note that many money leagues only pay first place, and some just pay first and second.

And then also separately:
-How should we seed the draft? Obviously the teams that made the playoffs for real should pick last. Obviously the teams that were awful should pick first. The remaining teams go in the middle.
-But, hmm, the winner of the consolation bracket must have finished well, right? So they should be counted among the winners... but not be ranked higher than the four teams that made the real playoffs, so I guess they're fifth place.

Put these three lines of thought together without much additional contemplation and you get where we are now. It probably isn't perfectly sensible and could be improved-upon for next year, definitely.

Zauper posted:

Unless there's a change for some reason, the consolation tourney has a bracket that it's following -- Whalers gets Garb, you play Chefs. I do think it's weird that the base bracket has the bye team playing the winner of 3-6 instead of 4-5, but it seems fine to just follow the bracket?

For the other teams..

BOF, Team Mclean, Ash, FDS.

I suppose those can be seeded however for their games really? But if we were doing top v bottom, it would be:
BOF vs FDS
and
Ash vs Mclean.

By our league rules 4.3.1 and 4.3.2:

quote:

In week 1 of the consolation tournament, the top-seeded team gets a bye. The remaining six teams are seeded based on win/loss record, with the best facing the worst, the second-best facing the second-worst, and the two middle teams playing one another.
In week 2 of the consolation tournament, the team that had a bye in week 1 plays the worst team that won in week 1, and the other two winning teams play one another. This is the consolation semifinals.

You can't know ahead of time which team will be the "worst team that won in week 1" - because it could be the sixth seeded team from the first bracket if they win their match; or, either the fourth or fifth seeded teams from the second bracket, whichever won, if the sixth-seeded team lost their match to the third-seeded team. But MFL forces you to pick one, so you pick one when setting up the consolation tournament, and then you make an edit to the matchups if you need to before the week 15 games.

For the remaining teams, their matches are meaningless. I think last year I matched the wildcard loser against the worst loser from among the week 14 consolation losers (by seeding) and then matched the other two losers against each other.

e. I will add that you can also consider the wildcard match to be an actual playoffs match - it's a single-elimination contest, after all - and in that vein, the winner of the consolation bracket maybe should be sixth instead of fourth. This might make a lot more sense in terms of not penalizing the owner of a team finishing the season poorly for bothering to try to win the $20 prize by pushing their draft picks from potentially first all the way back to 8th.

You could also give the consolation winner some other prize. How about an additional pick? Maybe like a free bonus untradeable 2nd round pick or something?

You could also consider seeding the loser of the wildcard match into the consolation tournament somehow, and that would take the sting out of that loss. Makes the bracket more complicated, though.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Zauper talked me around to it.

Right now the wildcard losing teams pick before the consolation bracket winner.

The consolation bracket winner is a worse team since they didn't make playoffs, so they should pick 5th. Picking 5th could be the benefit of winning the consolation bracket.

I don't know/care what to do with that prize money, but paying 3rd sounds fine.