Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tolkien has no idea where orcs came from though lol. They were maybe hosed up elves or maybe grown from vats or maybe made by Sauron? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Trabandiumium posted:

Well in Tolkien's lore, the orcs are also evil and petty and incapable of being good.

i remember reading in like one of his letters or something a bit where he talked about the orcs and how they weren't inherently evil, just twisted by sauron/morgoth. that doesn't really come through in the books, obviously

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The captains are uruk hai though aren’t they? Don’t we see them getting spawned by Saruman in two towers? Or does that not jive with the book canon?

The ones I feel worst for are the cave trolls, who, iirc, were just minding their own business in their caves until one dark lord or another came along and enslaved them. Then when Sauron gets defeated they just get swallowed up by the earth! Poor guys just can’t catch a break.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

In the books Uruks were created by Sauron.

When you're talking about LOTR lore, you have to keep in mind that Tolkien intentionally kept a lot of things unclear. He authored the material like a historian uncovering the past, not like a keeper of canon. So a lot of these questions don't have an answer, much like a lot of questions in real history.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

THE END....????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKu3cXMk28

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Polygon staff's 500 Best Games of All Time pt 1, #500-401
https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/27/16158276/polygon-500-best-games-of-all-time-500-401

Start your arguments.

e: My argument: That Adventures of Link is not only on the list, but is ranked above 38 other games.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 27, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Shinjobi posted:

Holy hell the latest awful squad was amazing.

It really was.

"Bazinga" *fires gun for the first time in minutes*

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Polygon staff's 500 Best Games of All Time pt 1, #500-401
https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/27/16158276/polygon-500-best-games-of-all-time-500-401

Start your arguments.

e: My argument: That Adventures of Link is not only on the list, but is ranked above 38 other games.

I feel like it's a fun timewaster to read, but a top X list that is not only attempted to be cobbled together from a group of people's opinions, each with many games they like/love more based on emotional reactions or nostalgia than actually judging their qualities or impact on the gaming scene - like every other top X list - but which is also 500 games long, is going to be a farce.

On the other hand, Knack 47 good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Actually I take it back the list is great due to all the nerds who will be incredibly mad at the early parts like 'how can Dragon Age Inquisition be one of the TOP 500 GAMES EVER MADE??!?!?!?!' despite the fact that they can probably name fewer than 500 games total and even their most hated game would comfortably rank higher by default if they were making the list

it's like the perfect outrage machine

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
tolkien, a pretty christian dude, waffled back and forth for much of his life up until the end on whether orcs were irredeemably evil and what that would mean re: grace and original sin

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The top 500 list only needs to have Last Express somewhere on it and I will defend it for any of its foolish mistakes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

speaking of top lists, Pat has made one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNGor-uEjU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the newest awful squad proves that simone is the best of them all.

i was cracking up at

-when they were under attack and bailing out of the car and she just idly pokes around in the wizard tower for supplies
-simone just standing out in the open on the bridge while griffin was lying down and shooting
-the huge gunfight that we never see because simone landed 10 miles away
-simone getting caught in the door by justin and getting killed by a bunch of dudes running in at them

also i coincidentally had to stop watching just as soon as russ showed up, so dodged a bullet there

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

polygon added someone to their video team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbJbCILXrX0

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was hoping against hope they’d hire chip cheezum. He got laid off at volition around the time they were hiring a new video team member.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Serf posted:

the newest awful squad proves that simone is the best of them all.

i was cracking up at

-when they were under attack and bailing out of the car and she just idly pokes around in the wizard tower for supplies
-simone just standing out in the open on the bridge while griffin was lying down and shooting
-the huge gunfight that we never see because simone landed 10 miles away
-simone getting caught in the door by justin and getting killed by a bunch of dudes running in at them

also i coincidentally had to stop watching just as soon as russ showed up, so dodged a bullet there

Not that I don't love Simone, but you could very easily be posting about Russ playing the game in that exact way, and everyone hates Russ for some reason.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Google personal blocklist took care of polygon for me, I suggest you do the same

Serf
May 5, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Not that I don't love Simone, but you could very easily be posting about Russ playing the game in that exact way, and everyone hates Russ for some reason.

because russ would be whining and mewling about something or another and simone just takes it like a champ, or is at least saying something funny

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I won't go on a Russ tangent, but I think the whining and mewling works even better because he still makes the decision to pursue whatever is funnier for the stream, even if it means Griffin loses his poo poo over it.

That stupid bridge ambush still makes me laugh. If you're actually playing, I can see that being exciting. If you're watching a video, 5-10 minutes of sitting around in a garbage bin does not make for exciting video and Russ was actively loving with it the whole time. It's great stuff, imo, but I've been told on numerous occasions that mine is the minority opinion. Oh well.:shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would like Russ less if it weren’t for the dynamic of griffin getting mad at him. That brings it back around to funny for me. I do wish they’d just let griffin control the camera though, he seems to be the best at letting us see interesting things

And I love simeone but she really needs to learn how to parachute

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Ainsley McTree posted:

simeone [...] really needs to learn how to parachute

Never.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

This guy's stuff is pretty good, and seems like it fits exactly in line with Polygon video content.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Google personal blocklist took care of polygon for me, I suggest you do the same

oh nice okay cool thanks

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

This guy's stuff is pretty good, and seems like it fits exactly in line with Polygon video content.

Yeah that was good, looking forward to seeing this guy get into the mix!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Oh whoops I put everything except Polygon on my google block list. Did I gently caress up because it seems like the internet is way better now

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Someone decided Issue At Hand wasn't horny enough for the polygon brand, and had to pick it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBSGAyKWH4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hello i will fite people over my stupid bonkers age-fluid Riverdale show.

I love-hate it so much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Riverdale is art and anyone who dislikes it does not know what a art is.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I'm posting this before I even watch it because its loving stupid and going to be amazing if I'm guessing the premise right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWfdSxZeZLg

edit: Yep, its exactly what it looks like.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 11, 2017

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Not Operator posted:

I'm posting this before I even watch it because its loving stupid and going to be amazing if I'm guessing the premise right.

This is very good and lessens the sting of SEO Play ending

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The dumbest goddamn concept.

I love it. I love it a lot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

"We...we really needed that truck, Simone."

This was worth the sacrifice of SEO Play

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I love that they used the infamous Doom footage in Justin's voiceover intro, finally explaining why the gameplay was so bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-ML9e2rvs

This was an awesome watch. Granted, I'm biased as hell because I played it a lot throughout jr high and high school, but still. Cool stuff.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

sexpig by night posted:

"We...we really needed that truck, Simone."

This was worth the sacrifice of SEO Play

Simone breaking down as the truck went to heaven was really the best. All Polygon videos should really just be Simone laughing so hard she starts crying.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

In other news, Allegra teased a mystery podcast last week, and they posted the first three episodes a few hours ago. It's called The History of Fun. It's Russ, Allegra and Chris Plante talking about the stuff people do for funsies. I've only listened to the dodgeball episode, but I can tell I'm gonna enjoy this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Game Ogre was good and I look forward to more. I've never said this about a video before in my life, but I think it would be improved with facecam. Watching them struggle with the controls is half the fun and I feel like it'd be better to just have PIP the whole time instead of cutting back and forth.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

All Polygon videos should really just be Simone laughing so hard she starts crying.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Simone is legit one of my fav people in the world right now.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

hosed up that they made Simone and Pat wear that jumper for the entire last two weeks. No wonder they want union representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gYzjIyRsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

hosed up that they made Simone and Pat wear that jumper for the entire last two weeks. No wonder they want union representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gYzjIyRsQ

a curse is a curse, no union can save you from a game wizard