Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm gonna have to ask you to show your work on how imperial is intuitive

“It’s what I was taught at a young age”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fahrenheit is basically "how warm is it outside right now, on a scale of 0 to 100", in that 0 degrees F is really cold and 100 degrees F is really hot

whereas 0 degrees C is kind of cold and 100 degrees C is "maybe you should just stay inside because it is the apocalypse"

I will die on this hill :colbert:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm gonna have to ask you to show your work on how imperial is intuitive

A foot is about a foot. A yard is about an arm length. 0 degrees is about as cold as it gets. 100 degrees is about as hot as it gets. A slug has about the mass of a slug.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Metric indisputably is better for unit conversion and having everything in base ten just makes loving sense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BgRdMchne posted:

A foot is about a foot. A yard is about an arm length. 0 degrees is about as cold as it gets. 100 degrees is about as hot as it gets. A slug has about the mass of a slug.

congrats on your size 14 shoes I guess

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Metric indisputably is better for unit conversion and having everything in base ten just makes loving sense.

Base 16 makes more sense, since 16 is divisible by 2, 4, and 8.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not this poo poo again.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I feel like it helps to know that when it's 0 degrees Celsius outside you need to watch out for ice.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can you guys believe that most people on Earth measure time in multiples of 60, 60... and 24 😂😂😂

and, like, a month has 31 days, most of the time anyway, sometimes it's 30, and in exactly one case it's either 28 or 29 based on what year it is, lol ok makes perfect sense

the perfect logical system of time measurement, as we all know, is Unix timestamps, and it's only a matter of time before the ignorant nations of the world get on board with this

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 7, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Thing I'm used to is better, because I'm used to it. :downswords:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

What's the threads opinion on decimal inches vs. fractional inches?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't have an opinion on that but I do have an opinion on international feet vs us survey feet

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BgRdMchne posted:

0 degrees is about as cold as it gets. 100 degrees is about as hot as it gets.

Uh, maybe some places, but that's not at all a universal constant.

BgRdMchne posted:

What's the threads opinion on decimal inches vs. fractional inches?

Decimal for anything particularly precise or more complex than 'half', 'third' or 'quarter'.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh cool their parliament actually did what the majority of people wanted! I wish my country worked that way. The memory of when it worked that way fades a little bit more every day.

I think the Australian parliament mostly didn't care either way. But the conservatives wanted a way to get out of it while still keeping the constituents. Now they had an excuse.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I like it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

loquacius posted:

Fahrenheit is basically "how warm is it outside right now, on a scale of 0 to 100", in that 0 degrees F is really cold and 100 degrees F is really hot

whereas 0 degrees C is kind of cold and 100 degrees C is "maybe you should just stay inside because it is the apocalypse"

I will die on this hill :colbert:

loquacius posted:

Can you guys believe that most people on Earth measure time in multiples of 60, 60... and 24 😂😂😂

and, like, a month has 31 days, most of the time anyway, sometimes it's 30, and in exactly one case it's either 28 or 29 based on what year it is, lol ok makes perfect sense

the perfect logical system of time measurement, as we all know, is Unix timestamps, and it's only a matter of time before the ignorant nations of the world get on board with this

You're confirming my stupidity hypothesis.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
all forms of measurement pale in comparison to the universal oneness that is the Kelrasi, which is based on the undeniable truth and size of the human soul in proportion to the demonic realm of suffering. all things can be weighed by the essence that will be extracted in the shadowed lands of misery.

the temperature right now is 14 points of blinding light, 3 braziers of molten regret, and 1 uncomfortable thanksgiving dinner

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 7, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The only people in human civilization who have ever set foot on the moon talked about getting there in miles, therefore metric can suck it, QED, address my point, Roll Tide, USA USA USA

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You're confirming my stupidity hypothesis.

I'm just waiting until we finally switch over to Stardate, because then we will finally be able to think logically as a species

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This needs a pants on the ground version, too.

Alternately,

BAD POSTS

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

BgRdMchne posted:

Wait, what kind of slug weights a slug? The closest I can think of is a metal slug, and I didn't think those things were standardized.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

American 2 Liter bottles need to be replaced with gallons immediately

its the dumbest thing about this country

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I love the patriotic plumes of factory smoke in the background.

e: holy poo poo - a whole page of metric vs imperial derail happened as I made this post. Time for four votmels of cartoons.

Well, at least he drew the whole thing, instead of poorly c/p'ing a stock angry arab like Gorrell did.

You need a rhyme to finish this off, buddy. Lots of choice opportunities for "casket" and "gasket". How are so many cartoonists so bad at referencing songs/movies?

*park bench collapses due to lack of maintenance*

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Peanut Butler posted:

American 2 Liter bottles need to be replaced with gallons immediately

its the dumbest thing about this country

Deliveryman: Please leave keg of Mtn Dew on the porch. Thanks!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Jugerum for length, poncelet for power, jow for length, carcel for light, grzywna for weight, firlot for volume, and Delisle scale for temperature. :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

You need a rhyme to finish this off, buddy. Lots of choice opportunities for "casket" and "gasket". How are so many cartoonists so bad at referencing songs/movies?

The only rhyme from that scene is "it puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again". "It places the lotion in the basket" is also a line from the same scene, and doesn't have a rhyme

It just gets repeated as "PUT THE LOTION IN THE loving BASKET" IIRC

e: I checked and it's actually "PUT THE loving LOTION IN THE BASKET"; I hosed up, sorry everyone :(

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 7, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Jugerum for length, poncelet for power, jow for length, carcel for light, grzywna for weight, firlot for volume, and Delisle scale for temperature. :colbert:

when this came up in another thread (also because I started it there) someone suggested that the true Most Logical Temperature Scale is actually Rankine, because it starts from absolute zero, like Kelvin, but uses smaller Fahrenheit degrees for better granularity

I am in favor of this change for that reason and also because no one would be happy with it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/SywExJR4lrI

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Did... did anyone in the US ever suggest that Tel Aviv was Israel's capital?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

These dumb motherfuckers have no idea about anything related to Middle East politics other than "Muslims bad."

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wait - was that a Ted Rall cartoon that wasn't completely awful?

This really is a weird year

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Itt Americans whine and use lovely arguments to defend a outdated, illogical and arbitrary system, then wonder why you still have the electoral college.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

predicto posted:

Yeah I actually found myself agreeing with a Rall cartoon. The gently caress is this world coming to?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

predicto posted:

This happens sometimes. You'll forget it in a week or so when he's back to screaming "DROOOOOONNNNES" and shilling for Russia as usual.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I am calm and you're so loving crazy.jpg

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is just creepy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to know what all these people think what we, as Americans, get out of recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capitol. What's the incentive, and how could it possibly be worth pissing off millions of other people?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to know what all these people think what we, as Americans, get out of recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capitol.

Rapture

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

6 [img]https://i.imgur.com/aT7CJ7m.png]/img]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Your reason for the season – butthurt – has not changed, however

• Locked thread