Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
http://twitter.com/GEASSPROJECT/status/938022737993273344

Looks like we have visuals for the second film and.... oh dear its Weinberg. :geno:

I really hope this doesn't mean we're literally getting a nasty chunk of R2's badness. But no PVs means nobody can really be sure, though there are quite a lot of R2 elements mixed in here.

And naturally without any hint of when a US release might be happening for any of the films and not knowing where the first one stops doesn't help either. I thought there was supposed to be an announcement about this already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

http://twitter.com/GEASSPROJECT/status/938022737993273344

Looks like we have visuals for the second film and.... oh dear its Weinberg. :geno:

I really hope this doesn't mean we're literally getting a nasty chunk of R2's badness. But no PVs means nobody can really be sure, though there are quite a lot of R2 elements mixed in here.

And naturally without any hint of when a US release might be happening for any of the films and not knowing where the first one stops doesn't help either. I thought there was supposed to be an announcement about this already.

To be honest if you're condensing Geass to movie form it does make sense to introduce the Knights early considering the roles they end up playing.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I guess, though other than Anya what roles lol.

Rolo and the Shinkirou being there though seems to imply a healthy chunk of the movie will be post-black rebellion (Which also means we're not going to get anything similar to the original R2 plan most likely.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I guess, though other than Anya what roles lol.

Rolo and the Shinkirou being there though seems to imply a healthy chunk of the movie will be post-black rebellion (Which also means we're not going to get anything similar to the original R2 plan most likely.)

I fuckin' hate me some GIno but the dude has a lot of interactions with people and if you're not going to memory hole him you might as well try to make him relevant.

I'm also fine with them condensing the hell out of R2.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ImpAtom posted:

I fuckin' hate me some GIno but the dude has a lot of interactions with people and if you're not going to memory hole him you might as well try to make him relevant.

How likely would it be that the movies end up having bigger changes, in a "we have a much better grasp on what story we want to tell, and aren't writing episode-to-episode" way?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

If they're willing to scrap the entire ridiculously dumb Lelouch memory wipe plotline and some of the dumber poo poo like Kallen spending half the series in a glass jar getting interrogated, they could safely cut an enormous chunk of R2 without losing the relevant bits.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 6, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm a loving lunatic Geass nerd but I still can't for the life of me care about compilation movies

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

These seem like they have enough changes to be worth price of admission like the two Gurren Lagann movies.

Probably wont have the really desired changes but its better than just puking up Black Rebellion and Zero Requiem again for theaters.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Based on the poster, perhaps they might use the second movie's new scenes to give us a little more of Suzaku's perspective during late S1/early R2. Other than that, I don't want to speculate much.

To be honest, the single biggest structural problem with R2 is that it had a lot of "fat" early on. Familiar stuff that didn't need to be repeated, but meant for new viewers. Which is easy enough to solve with a compilation movie, even if you still keep some R2-era footage because they're not remaking everything here.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

These seem like they have enough changes to be worth price of admission like the two Gurren Lagann movies.

Probably wont have the really desired changes but its better than just puking up Black Rebellion and Zero Requiem again for theaters.

Reports indicate there's a couple of nice new scenes in the first one, like seeing a mix of named Britannian characters say goodbye to Lelouch and Nunnally as they leave for Japan, or Lelouch being simply fabulous at throwing darts while talking to C.C., though not groundbreaking yet (both literally and figuratively in this case, I guess!). Also, Mao is non-existent so far. Either's he's not going to show up, or the one or two useful bits tied to him will be dealt with in a modified manner.

Curiously enough, even Jun Fukuyama didn't initially seem to see the point of these new compilations because those Special Edition "2 hours per season" summaries already existed...until he got to recording for the second and third films, so that's presumably where the bulk of the changes start to happen.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 7, 2017

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mao being non-existent so far leads me to believe that the first movie wraps up either right before Shirley finds out Lelouch is Zero or after Narita. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing more of Suzaku's perspective since we're probably gonna end up with a bunch of the un-important episodes snipped out (Kyushu, a massive chunk of the pre-china R2, most of china, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to the third movie in particular. The very last chunk of R2 vindicates a lot of the early screwups by throwing everything at the wall and going back to insane bullshit that looks cool.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

R2's fat early on being the problem has always struck me as an odd angle of attack since the lovely parts of R2 are all at the end

Kyushu is one of my favorite parts of late S1!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The reason why the beginning of R2 is less lovely than the end of R2 is because the beginning of R2 is heavily a retread of the first season, which was good. It's still pretty redundant.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rodyle posted:

R2's fat early on being the problem has always struck me as an odd angle of attack since the lovely parts of R2 are all at the end

Kyushu is one of my favorite parts of late S1!

I also like Kyushu but if they're trimming the fat its easily one of the first things to go, since it has almost no bearing on the plot other than spurring Suzaku and Euphy's official relationship.

I honestly think the last five episodes of R2 make up for the previous 15's blunders, if only because of how much it goes against the character alignments of the rest of the series.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, I'm just interested in whatever changes they make to the end to lead into this S3 and all. The more time I've had over the years to stew over Okouchi's obsession with tragic self-sacrificing heroes, the more disgusted I get with it. Not that there aren't legitimate reasons why Lelouch would choose that kind of insane plan to end things with, but the way it's presented as a positive thing from the storyteller's point of view is incredibly stupid. Still it wouldn't have been as annoying if he hadn't used the exact same goddamn plot point in Guilty Crown and Valvrave as well.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 8, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

As for Okouchi, I think much of Kabaneri and, to a greater extent, Princess Principal have once again proved he can actually be pretty good without roughly repeating himself. Not that there aren't any issues with their scripts, yet in my opinion the positives of both shows tend to outweigh the negatives.

Regarding R2, it's a matter of time management. Without all the redundancy, certain events could have been better paced and better explained later on. Even so, I still like various parts of R2 and particularly enjoy the last arc for a number of reasons. But I don't deny the season as a whole was more messy than it needed to be, even for a theatrical rollercoaster.

Like the betrayal episode, which is actually not entirely unreasonable as an outcome when you stop to think about everything in detail, yet the situation escalates so fast in less than thirty minutes that most of those involved come across quite poorly in practice.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 8, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It is pretty suspect that nobody ever asks why the mind controlling genius wouldn't just mind control all of them right from the start if he was just using them

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is pretty suspect that nobody ever asks why the mind controlling genius wouldn't just mind control all of them right from the start if he was just using them

He's still not exactly trustworthy either way but yes, that's something they should have stopped to debate for a couple of minutes...but nah, there was no time to show us any of that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nah, I agree that his two newer works have avoided that folible at least - though Kabaneri certainly danced with that possibility at the end.

wielder posted:

He's still not exactly trustworthy either way but yes, that's something they should have stopped to debate for a couple of minutes...but nah, there was no time to show us any of that.

The bigger issue is Lelouch suddenly deciding that clearly the entirety of the Black Knights have turned against him, rather than just Ohgi and the like one squad of guards he'd conned into joining him. Ohgi was a poo poo the entire 2nd season, so him flipping coats at the drop of a hat works fine, and there's no reason he couldn't have found similarly minded people to be the ones with him, but even traumatized Lelouch should have figured there was something wrong with not a single other leadership element within the Black Knights being part of that.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

The bigger issue is Lelouch suddenly deciding that clearly the entirety of the Black Knights have turned against him, rather than just Ohgi and the like one squad of guards he'd conned into joining him. Ohgi was a poo poo the entire 2nd season, so him flipping coats at the drop of a hat works fine, and there's no reason he couldn't have found similarly minded people to be the ones with him, but even traumatized Lelouch should have figured there was something wrong with not a single other leadership element within the Black Knights being part of that.
You have to remember that Lelouch was just coming back from a battle where he thought Nunnally died. He would have been totally ok with being killed at that confrontation, regardless of whether it was the entirety of the Black Knights or just Ohgi alone with a gun.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyHOQDs-8rM

Looks like a new trailer and other than the single shot of Anya (No Gino at all lol) its all Episode 17-25 portions with absolutely nothing new.

Guys come on give us something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The black knight coup is easily the worst bit of the entire series and there's so many other ways they could have done it to make it better. Like having Todoh and Rakshata be somewhere else for starters, or not have people like Xingke or Kaguya just believe what they're told by the coup people later, or oh I dunno, not have it center around the leaders believing their enemy telling them their boss has brainwashing eye magic.

e: lol Diethard of all people getting a line in the trailer

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyHOQDs-8rM

Looks like a new trailer and other than the single shot of Anya (No Gino at all lol) its all Episode 17-25 portions with absolutely nothing new.

Well, they can't exactly spoil everything for us in advance.

I believe the shot of Schneizel is also new. I don't think he was standing near some books during S1.

Rodyle posted:

Not entirely surprising. They're apparently making him a bit more active thus far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rodyle posted:

The black knight coup is easily the worst bit of the entire series and there's so many other ways they could have done it to make it better. Like having Todoh and Rakshata be somewhere else for starters, or not have people like Xingke or Kaguya just believe what they're told by the coup people later, or oh I dunno, not have it center around the leaders believing their enemy telling them their boss has brainwashing eye magic.

The way the betrayal was done still boils my blood because of what a complete fuckup it was. It is 1000% believable that someone as shifty and untrustworthy as Lelouch would inspire distrust and discontent in his subordinates, especially given his incredibly shady behavior in R2. A "Black Knights depose/turn against Lelouch" plotline is a totally plausible idea that makes sense from a plot standpoint, since it's Lelouch's chickens coming home to roost. Then they decided to have the betrayal happen because Schneizel, the grand commander of the Black Knights' mortal enemy, shows up and says "Oh yeah your supreme leader who brought you from being about to be killed in a ghetto by my nation's death squads to being a world superpower is a shifty guy who has literal mind control powers that you're just finding out exist for the first time, you should all totally betray him now" and they all believed him. There's no questioning phase, no debate, no one going "what, our leader has magic powers? that's loving awesome!", no "why should we trust this Britannian dick who we're at war with", we just go straight from that to "everyone pointing guns at Lelouch in the hangar and they're all about to loving murder him because he won't talk in public".

Christ.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

How would they know he hadn't?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

How would they know he hadn't?

Because they are able to rebel against him.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Because they are able to rebel against him.

At the point of the rebellion there was no indication that he could do anything except give limited orders. (And why even bother with the whole rebellion business if you have unlimited mind control powers?)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Well part of the reasoning is Ohgi clearly consorting with a britannian who was out to kill him at multiple points. He's up and ready to betray Lelouch to get his dick wet. Since clearly Viletta is supposed to be "sympathetic" or some other crap despite being vile the entire series.

But yeah its telling that Super Robot Wars gives a goddamn fix that's plausible even if it does include characters from Gundam Wing and such in the discussions telling Schneizel he's full of it and to gently caress off.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

by far the funniest part of the Z-2 duology is the totally ridiculous Treize-Ribbons/Alejandro-Schneizel social club

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
loving Wufei from Wing of all people being the vaguely reasonable one shows how badly handled the rebellion is in show.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The first Code Geass compilation movie was shown in a few Australian theaters a short while ago and will be coming to the UK soon. No word on any U.S. release yet, but I assume it's probably in the works.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Nothing in regards to an english dub yet either? The second movie's already out in Japan from my knowledge and the first has hit Blu-ray.

Wish I knew what they changed in the second movie, it doesn't seem like it spread too far into season 2 content if at all but that prominence of Weino and friends on the poster begs to differ but i've heard nothing since it came out.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Code Geass Sequel's English Subtitle is 'Re;surrection'

it's gonna be isekai

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This joke assumes I am not 100% on board with the idea of watching Lelouch gently caress up some bad LN fantasy setting.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 20, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

This joke assumes I am not 100% on board with the idea of watching Lelouch gently caress up some bad LN fantasy setting.

gently caress, i need this

He was already an overpowered gary stu in his SF show anyways, lemme see him tear down a fantasy world

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Relin posted:

Code Geass Sequel's English Subtitle is 'Re;surrection'

it's gonna be isekai

Or perhaps it's going to be a crossover with Steins;Gate 0. You never know!

Jokes aside, the original Japanese tweet seems slightly ambiguous. I think that's going to be a shorthand, not the full subtitle. I wish they came out and openly said whether it's another movie or a TV season though.

HenryEx posted:

He was already an overpowered gary stu in his SF show anyways, lemme see him tear down a fantasy world

Lelouch messes up a bit much to qualify as an overpowered isekai protagonist, but he does tear down worlds pretty well. This is pure speculation, of course, yet I'd enjoy watch him carry out dimensional shenanigans.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Nothing in regards to an english dub yet either? The second movie's already out in Japan from my knowledge and the first has hit Blu-ray.

Wish I knew what they changed in the second movie, it doesn't seem like it spread too far into season 2 content if at all but that prominence of Weino and friends on the poster begs to differ but i've heard nothing since it came out.

Not that I know of. It would be interesting to see how much of the English dub cast could be brought back by Funimation.

Speaking about the second movie...Japanese reports say it covered most of R2 (until ep 16 or so) by outright skipping a lot of the early stuff while giving Suzaku and the Britannians a bunch of new scenes instead. It seems that feels a bit rushed, but should give the third film a lot more breathing room.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 20, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

The dude got winded from light jogging, he was munchkined to hell and back

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HenryEx posted:

I too am looking forward to Super Robot Wars X.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

wielder posted:

Not that I know of. It would be interesting to see how much of the English dub cast could be brought back by Funimation.

Speaking about the second movie...Japanese reports say it covered most of R2 (until ep 16 or so) by outright skipping a lot of the early stuff while giving Suzaku and the Britannians a bunch of new scenes instead. It seems that feels a bit rushed, but should give the third film a lot more breathing room.

Well they got back 3 of the main 4 for Akito cameos so unless they royally gently caress up we can assume they'll try to get them all back if possible.

So it jumps from 18 of S1 to 16 or so of R2? Holy shitbuckets that's quite the pass through. Though that makes me think they specifically left all that bullshit China runoff in just to screw Kallen out of enough footage where they can claim she's not a main character anymore. I get trimming the early fat of R2 since that part's literally just "We gotta get new guys up to speed on this!" But I wish they'd have decided to change the timeline and go off the original Stage 26 plan they had before the meddling happened.

I'm not sure if I want to watch a movie where they give any more screentime to :geno:.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I watched the first compilation movie.

It is one of those. Mostly footage from the first season, with a few new scenes that either nod to new material like Oz or compensate for cut content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The third compilation movie comes out on video in Japan during September. There will probably be an announcement or more information about the sequel project by then.

One thing the staff have stated is that they view the TV series as a complete story. The upcoming sequel will apparently follow the films. Which doesn't make a huge difference, except for one or two issues, but it might be worth keeping in mind.