Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The new republic fleet was apparently gathered at hosnian. I don't think the first order fleet is bigger than the empire, but it's ships are and there's no one to fight em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What kind of dumb-dumb parks their entire fleet at one planet.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Rey has multiple Fathiers??

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh poo poo, I think we are, right now, poo poo

Also I am glad Luke didn't dice up his students and wreck his pad, that is very Un-Luke-Like

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jose Oquendo posted:

Probably a small post-demilitarisation fleet was all the appeasing New Republic had left, which was easy to keep near the capital, and older ships like the Raddus were and are parked in mothball shipyards all over the galaxy awaiting scrapping, plus any light stuff on routine patrol.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Johnson revealed that Carrie didn't get to finish ADR, and they had to scrounge and tweak to work around that. Expect people to be whining about that, but only once it's in a few more interviews and becomes better known

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

halwain posted:

Theres some new footage here https://streamable.com/gxw8i .
Rey takes Kylos sword and the praetorian guards are fighting with her (maybe snoke taking over rey was true after all :v:)

i watched the clip slowly and it looks like they're actually turning in towards her, as if they're going to attack

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mastershakeman posted:

so let's get this straight , the universe between ROTJ and force awakens:
empire is beaten, some big rear end fight over jakku, New Republic is created, all the bad imperial guys retreat to unknown regions

twenty years pass and the new republic has already completely loving failed, the empire is now bigger and badder than ever, and upon their first attack everyone else in the republic (who apparently have no military at all) just flat out surrenders because they liked being under the empire better than under the new republic anyways

nice

Democracy is weak, corrupt and bad and has a boring design, a benevolent dictatorship is the only good way of government, Heil Hitler Sheev Snoke and his prop design team, Hugo Boss.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

empire is beaten, some big rear end fight over jakku, New Republic is created, all the bad imperial guys retreat to unknown regions

twenty years pass and the new republic has already completely loving failed, the empire is now bigger and badder than ever, and upon their first attack everyone else in the republic (who apparently have no military at all) just flat out surrenders because they liked being under the empire better than under the new republic anyways

nice

No

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's interesting how thin on the ground major spoilers seem to be this close to the release. Hadn't fans accurately figured out like 98% of the plot of TFA based simply on putting clips together by now?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

yeah. a lot of the trailers I've seen are just iterations on what was released first, with maybe a 1~2 seconds more from a scene.

that's why i've just been talking about porgs. there's nothing else to really talk about :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The entire plot for TFA was out by like August.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Scans of the film's Visual Dictionary book are out in the wild.

Have some baby porgs:

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

nice

The New Republic was a failure because like half of the senators were former Rebels who are gun-shy when it comes to any form of centralized government and want all the planets to handle their own poo poo and have their own planetary forces instead. The other half it turns out were Empire apologists who have parties where they show off their vintage stormtrooper helmet collections and talk about how cool and good the Emperor was and secretly launder a poo poo ton of New Republic funds to send to the growing First Order. So half of the Senate didn't want a military because they were scared of the government going evil again and making it the new Imperial Navy, and the other half didn't want it because it would make it harder for the First Order to win when they finally attacked.

This is all as of like 5 years before TFA; apparently before that things were sort of okay because Mon Mothma was a really good leader but she got space cancer or something and retired. Leia almost became the new Mon Mothma-type-leader-person but then it got publicly revealed that Darth Vader was her dad so everyone in the Senate hated her and she left and formed the Resistance. So when the First Order blows up the Hosnian system you've got half the galaxy unable to defend itself and the other half 100% ready to go full Empire again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last jedi vs the first jedi is cheeky enough that i can buy it getting true

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Here’s a new clip where Luke interacts with R2, telling him not to cuss so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2hzAKKsgk

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Brother Entropy posted:

If true I really like this?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Moose King posted:

The New Republic was a failure because like half of the senators were former Rebels who are gun-shy when it comes to any form of centralized government and want all the planets to handle their own poo poo and have their own planetary forces instead. The other half it turns out were Empire apologists who have parties where they show off their vintage stormtrooper helmet collections and talk about how cool and good the Emperor was and secretly launder a poo poo ton of New Republic funds to send to the growing First Order. So half of the Senate didn't want a military because they were scared of the government going evil again and making it the new Imperial Navy, and the other half didn't want it because it would make it harder for the First Order to win when they finally attacked.

This is all as of like 5 years before TFA; apparently before that things were sort of okay because Mon Mothma was a really good leader but she got space cancer or something and retired. Leia almost became the new Mon Mothma-type-leader-person but then it got publicly revealed that Darth Vader was her dad so everyone in the Senate hated her and she left and formed the Resistance. So when the First Order blows up the Hosnian system you've got half the galaxy unable to defend itself and the other half 100% ready to go full Empire again.

is that from anything or just a guess?

also from what we saw in rogue one a ton of the rebellion leaders were weak kneed cowards who just wanted to be important again

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's a very very loose version of the bad books, so sort

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

is that from anything or just a guess?

also from what we saw in rogue one a ton of the rebellion leaders were weak kneed cowards who just wanted to be important again

Yeah, it's all from Bloodline, one of the new books. It's mostly Leia doing a bunch of political intrigue stuff with new friend, Fascist Tom Hiddleston.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/938933589109903360

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

It makes sense the First Jedi would have the First Order

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Guys, I didn't think TFA was really that good but uh, I am not sure how this happened, but I think Adam Driver is absolutely the redeeming center in the whole mess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AlternateAccount posted:

Guys, I didn't think TFA was really that good but uh, I am not sure how this happened, but I think Adam Driver is absolutely the redeeming center in the whole mess.
Kylo was the most interesting character in the literary sense, even if I can see why everyone fell in love with Rey. (Personally I found Finn more relatable.)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I too am on team Finn. He’s extremely likeable and energetic, and overall just fun. Boyega is a treasure.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
John Boyega is a great actor but I'm still not sure what I was supposed to get out of Finn's character. Is he a brainwashed Janissary slave-soldier raised from birth rebelling against his conditioning? Because he seems a lot more like a sort of wacky everyman trying to get out of the army he was drafted into last week.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HannibalBarca posted:

John Boyega is a great actor but I'm still not sure what I was supposed to get out of Finn's character. Is he a brainwashed Janissary slave-soldier raised from birth rebelling against his conditioning? Because he seems a lot more like a sort of wacky everyman trying to get out of the army he was drafted into last week.

This. Boyega was perfectly fine, but his character doesn't make a lot of sense based on what we've been told about him, and what we've seen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the 3 (or 4 if you want to include oscar isaac) leads are the best leads of any star wars movie and are pretty much the only hope of these movies being interesting

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 8, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

mastershakeman posted:

the 3 (or 4 if you want to include carlos isaac) leads are the best leads of any star wars movie and are pretty much the only hope of these movies being interesting

First off, it's Oscar Isaac, not Carlos.

Second, if he wasn't included in your 3, who else was? BB-8?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Ridley, Boyega, Driver?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

Ridley, Boyega, Driver?

Right, Driver, okay. When I hear about the big 3 leads for Star Wars movies, I usually think of the heroes, but of course Driver should be mentioned.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

thrawn527 posted:

Right, Driver, okay. When I hear about the big 3 leads for Star Wars movies, I usually think of the heroes, but of course Driver should be mentioned.

If it doesn't happen in TLJ already, Kylo will rejoin the heroes early next movie. He's a walking "rescue and fix me" sign.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It would be nice if this movie did anything at all with Oscar Isaac, but I have my doubts. I mean, I'm glad the guy is getting the paychecks, but if you've got Oscar Isaac you'd think you'd use Oscar Isaac.

The trailers haven't really lit me on fire even though I think Rian Johnson is great. Luckily, we haven't seen anything to do with Benicio Del Toro so I'm holding out hope that he's secretly the best part of the whole deal.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thrawn527 posted:

First off, it's Oscar Isaac, not Carlos.

woops, carlos is a irl friend . and yeah i was including Driver, he certainly has an actual role unlike Poe ' i was gone for 3/4 of the movie' Dameron

also i read the wookiepedia article on the bloodline novel explaining the fall of the new republic and both the article and the book are absolute trash garbage, wow

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mastershakeman posted:

woops, carlos is a irl friend . and yeah i was including Driver, he certainly has an actual role unlike Poe ' i was gone for 3/4 of the movie' Dameron

I agree with your complaint, but he was originally supposed to die in the beginning so maybe by the time they expanded his role, it was too far along in production to add him into more stuff.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 8, 2017

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Jose Oquendo posted:

I agree with your complaint, but he was originally supposed to die in the beginning so maybe by the time they expanded his role, it was too far along in production to add him into more stuff.

Huh, I actually figured it was the opposite at some point. He's gone for so long and then there's no fanfare whatsoever when he shows up again, he's just doing his pilot thing. I had assumed that there must have been some scenes with him in the interim that got cut.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ror posted:

Huh, I actually figured it was the opposite at some point. He's gone for so long and then there's no fanfare whatsoever when he shows up again, he's just doing his pilot thing. I had assumed that there must have been some scenes with him in the interim that got cut.
Maybe they were gonna have him be a clone but they chickened out.

e: porged out?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
This scene is probably going to wreck me.

(this image is huge)

e:

Milky Moor posted:

Semi-related to the above image. First thing Luke does when Rey hands him his saber is hurl it off the island, hahaha.

Yeah that's going to either be unintentionally hilarious or heartbreaking. Gonna depend on how it plays.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Semi-related to the above image. First thing Luke does when Rey hands him his saber is hurl it off the island, hahaha.

• Locked thread