Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I can see Laura coming over but i don't think they're gonna have a 13yo be on the avengers with a bunch of 30something people

I didn't say she'd join the Avengers, just that porting her to the MCU is a given. Hell if they're smart they'll approach Mcavoy and Fassbender as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think they're honestly better off jettisoning most of the baggage from the Fox X-Men, even the actors. They made a clean break with Homecoming, and they'll do the same with with X-men more than likely.

At most I see them bringing over Deadpool and smoothing over continuity issues with fourth wall jokes, and MAYBE offering Jackman to play a new version of Logan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

site posted:

You should watch homecoming

Or don't. It was OK and parts of it were really good but I don't get all the praise heaped on it. My opinion seems to be in the minority so take that with a grain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

Or don't. It was OK and parts of it were really good but I don't get all the praise heaped on it. My opinion seems to be in the minority so take that with a grain.

It's great except for Ned.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think they're honestly better off jettisoning most of the baggage from the Fox X-Men, even the actors. They made a clean break with Homecoming, and they'll do the same with with X-men more than likely.

At most I see them bringing over Deadpool and smoothing over continuity issues with fourth wall jokes, and MAYBE offering Jackman to play a new version of Logan.

All I know is that I hope they keep Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik because that's perfect casting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TFRazorsaw posted:

Who else could play Deadpool besides Kevin James?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not liking Homecoming as much as everyone else is fine.

It's liking the ASM movies that makes you a monster though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did you not like Wonder Woman?

Wonder Woman is proving more and more to be an outlier and not indicative of DC Films' general level of quality

Also it's a period piece AND an origin story so punted on a whole bunch of my criticisms as a matter of course

I still have little-to-no faith that WB can make a good movie, because the only time they did they took a proven director and basically let her copy Cap 1 beat for beat. Their success rate at doing a modern day origin film, a heroes in conflict film, a parallel canonical/new ensemble film, and a traditional teamup has produced: a bad film, a terrible film, a terrible but at least sort of aesthetically interesting film, and apparently a bad film, respectively. Basically every other form of movie they've tried - and that basically runs the gamut of every single sort of film that Marvel has done in general terms, besides "space opera" - has been a failure. Why should I trust them to suddenly get it right on Shazam, which according to Zachary Levi is a Guardians-lite, which is a movie WB has already tried making already? And it was really, really bad then?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really loving hope that the Phoenix isn't just the "its the evil part of you Jean!" like it was in X3, because no one liked that version.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

I really loving hope that the Phoenix isn't just the "its the evil part of you Jean!" like it was in X3, because no one liked that version.

I took the "it's happening in space" to mean they won't go that route but my optimism has burned me in the past.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are they really going to keep two Jean's around? Won't the Phoenix force be confused? Is the PF still around?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Endless Mike posted:

*BSS complains about how Marvel uses too many "the hero but evil" villains*
*BSS complains that Black Adam isn't in the Shazam movie*

lol

Nipponophile posted:

Man, who cares about that? I want the hot scoops on Roseanne!

In this season she does a crossover with young Bruce Wayne from Gotham and the Arrowverse. The writers are considering having Dan join the Legends.

Dacap posted:

So, EW has revealed that Jessica Chastain isn't Lilandra like we thought, she's the Skrull Queen.

I guess this was Fox trying to give another "gently caress you" to Marvel like they did with Quicksilver before the merger talks became a thing. It's really hard to care about this movie knowing is going to be made irrelevant before its even released.

I hope the movie still isn't planned as a two part film. I'm glad the X-Men will be in the MCU in a few years. This likely means Marvel won't self sabotage the X-Men comics anymore. The X-Men in the MCU has so much potential to own.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also the fox xmen movies are mostly terrible

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Also the fox xmen movies are mostly terrible

There's like 2.5 good films across the entire franchise.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And they all have Deadpool.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

There's like 2.5 good films across the entire franchise.

DOFP, Logan and Deadpool, checks out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

First Class has more good parts than DOFP but DOFP has DInklage.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Samuringa posted:

How about we give it to a movie that doesn't crowd Kitty Pryde out of a role that was originally her's for the sake of more Wolverine!!!, cuts out most of the promise and characters of First Class so Magneto and Charles can be sad again, and doesn't try to shill Mystique artificially because hey, her actor is big now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Most of DoFP is good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Most of DoFP is good

The bit where Magneto shoves rebar into the Sentinels just kills it for me.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

In the comics, Old Man Logan has been transported to the mainstream Marvel Universe. I just realized they could just do that with Jackman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Dan posted:

In the comics, Old Man Logan has been transported to the mainstream Marvel Universe. I just realized they could just do that with Jackman.

*Hugh Jackman's decaying corpse appears in front of Tony Stark*
"Well, ain't that a kick in the pants?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
First Class and Days of Future past are both okay, between them there's a great movie.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Does the hivemind not like X2, or is that :thejoke: ? And I'd say the first one gets points for kicking off the whole "at least one comic book movie per year" thing, but yeah, maybe not the best in the genre.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darth Various posted:

Does the hivemind not like X2, or is that :thejoke: ? And I'd say the first one gets points for kicking off the whole "at least one comic book movie per year" thing, but yeah, maybe not the best in the genre.

What's good about it aside from the mansion Wolverine fight?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The intro Nightcrawler scene.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What's good about it aside from the mansion Wolverine fight?

The White House Nightcrawler fight?
Edit: Beaten.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
X-2 loses me with its bookends being that kid sticking his tongue out. Was that kid Singers nephew or something?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

If Disney gets fox, they could easily merge all the movies by simply doing the Secret wars (the old one, not the new one...or the other new one). Have the Beyonder pull heroes and villains from all over all the movies. Pull them all into battle world and go from there. He could even pull heroes from different times like he did with Doom in the first secret wars. That way you can get your younger logan and x-23. Jackman could come back for one more movie and still not mess with his movie timeline.

End the movie with him merging them all into one timeline.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Shake-Up at WB, Jon Berg out and Geoff Johns work on the films may evolve, and could be more advisory in nature.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dc-films-justice-league-1202632214/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

twistedmentat posted:

Spoiler on this point that was contained in an article linked here earlier:

It's the "inside" her all the time. They go on a space mission, the ship gets hit by a solar flare or something and it activates the phoenix force inside her.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TFRazorsaw posted:

How about we give it to a movie that doesn't crowd Kitty Pryde out of a role that was originally her's for the sake of more Wolverine!!!, cuts out most of the promise and characters of First Class so Magneto and Charles can be sad again, and doesn't try to shill Mystique artificially because hey, her actor is big now.

It's 2017, we can't seriously be docking films for not being 1:1 adaptations of the comics. Kitty in the Fox films barely has anything to her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are few things on Earth I want to see less than 2 hours of Ellen Page.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SonicRulez posted:

It's 2017, we can't seriously be docking films for not being 1:1 adaptations of the comics. Kitty in the Fox films barely has anything to her.

Yeah, and considering all the work they did to make DoFP a bridge between the old and the new, Logan was perfect for that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That Dark Phoenix EW article kinda worries me 'cuz, yeah, it's 2017 and I don't see even a hint of superhero costumes in those photos. I'm sure they'll pop up in the film, but even Mystique seems to be dressed in the...old yellow/black uniform?...for the space mission which is like, ughhh. (Although I do like the touch of her looking subtly more human now which makes sense with her new, nicer attitude) (Look, I know it's because J-Law doesn't want the heavy makeup anymore, but either way it makes sense)

That said, some of the ideas they're tossing out do seem interesting; at bare minimum they seem have a clear vision of what they're doing. And poo poo, those Sophie Turner images just look really cool.

(:ohdear:)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

That Dark Phoenix EW article kinda worries me 'cuz, yeah, it's 2017 and I don't see even a hint of superhero costumes in those photos. I'm sure they'll pop up in the film, but even Mystique seems to be dressed in the...old yellow/black uniform?...for the space mission which is like, ughhh. (Although I do like the touch of her looking subtly more human now which makes sense with her new, nicer attitude) (Look, I know it's because J-Law doesn't want the heavy makeup anymore, but either way it makes sense)

That said, some of the ideas they're tossing out do seem interesting; at bare minimum they seem have a clear vision of what they're doing. And poo poo, those Sophie Turner images just look really cool.

(:ohdear:)

I have hope for it. Apocalypse was flawed, but it wasn't unwatchable and it had some really good parts (the x-mansion stuff would have been great as its own movie, and quicksilver v apocalypse was well done). The x-men movies have been hit or miss but only once uninspired (X3 was awful)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

It's not that it's not a 1:1 adaptation, it's that we could have had a movie that actually uses Kitty Pryde well, gave focus to a canonically Jewish character who isn't one of the main antagonists, and also focused on X-Men characters who aren't Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier, Mystique, and sometimes Beast I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That feels like a random diversity pull. DOFP doesn't even really focus all that hard on Logan. I'm not going to say I wouldn't like an X-movie that focused on the actors who want to be there (lookin at you, JLaw!) but I don't think DOFP was that film. Apocalypse was that film and they messed it up.

BrianWilly posted:

My "It's 2017" does not extend to costumes or codenames. Superhero films should have costumes and codenames. I don't care how they want to explain them, but they need to exist. A fellow on Youtube did a fantastic video about that specifically in regard to the X-Men.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

X-2 loses me with its bookends being that kid sticking his tongue out. Was that kid Singers nephew or something?

Probs his most recent boyfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Probs his most recent boyfriend

No, boyfriends are consensual.

• Locked thread