Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol okay I figured it out its because I run as a non-admin account and they didn't bother testing their updated for that so it just silently fails to update while making GBS threads out 3 copies of itself in the process. MS devs at their finest WHY ISNT UAC THROWING A DIALOG FOR ME BOO HOO HOO

that doesn't sound like the worlds most advanced operating system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol okay I figured it out its because I run as a non-admin account and they didn't bother testing their updated for that so it just silently fails to update while making GBS threads out 3 copies of itself in the process. MS devs at their finest WHY ISNT UAC THROWING A DIALOG FOR ME BOO HOO HOO

teams installs to the user folder so idk why it would need an admin account.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

PleasureKevin posted:

that doesn't sound like the worlds most advanced operating system

its preventing a random app from modifying things in /Applications without consent seems 2 be working fine

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

teams installs to the user folder so idk why it would need an admin account.

lol no it does not you colossal know-nothing goober

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that looks like Linux so all bets are off. I don't think it has a concept of user level applications since its not designed for users

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I don't use outlook so idk. are you using different accounts for outlook and office? they probably setup outlook to use the current creds from the rest of office instead of treating it as a separate app which suits the needs of 90% of clients but probably not anyone with multiple accounts.

lol I don't have a second account

I want office to be signed into no accounts at all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you cant. office 365 versions of office require you be signed in and activated.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol no it does not you colossal know-nothing goober

but that OS doesn't have UAC what is happening

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

you cant. office 365 versions of office require you be signed in and activated.

It's Office 2016. Is that a "365 version"?

e: This didn't start happening until like 2 weeks ago

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh they must have merged the licensing systems or something. if its a work computer just use your 365 account in office. if its not a work computer, remove your 365 account from outlook and uninstall outlook.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

uninstall outlook.

the best advice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
outlook is real bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

oh they must have merged the licensing systems or something. if its a work computer just use your 365 account in office. if its not a work computer, remove your 365 account from outlook and uninstall outlook.

they didn't, your office license account and "office account" aren't necessarily connected, you can still "sign out" of office under account and be activated

they did however gently caress around with the outlook account creation process so that it automatically tries to use your office account as the first email account it sets up. however you can still sign out of office itself under file->office account

they've just managed to come up with the most confusing naming scheme possible

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol okay I figured it out its because I run as a non-admin account and they didn't bother testing their updater for that so it just silently fails to update while making GBS threads out 3 copies of itself in the process. MS devs at their finest WHY ISNT UAC THROWING A DIALOG FOR ME BOO HOO HOO

ugh i hate vendors who write their own trashfire installers, they always break

loving ship it as an .app or a .pkg you dumbshits

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

however you can still sign out of office itself under file->office account

doing so will disconnect you from exchange until you sign back in, now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

doing so will disconnect you from exchange until you sign back in, now

huh. i am definitely not signed in to an office account, and i am definitely online with exchange

try signing out of the office account in word, then open outlook

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

huh. i am definitely not signed in to an office account, and i am definitely online with exchange

try signing out of the office account in word, then open outlook

This might be something configured at an account-level, I'm not sure. Here's what happens for me:

1. Open outlook, sign in to exhcnage/o365 if not already signed in
2. Open Word. Observe that you're now signed into word/office as your o365 user
3. Click sign out in file/account in word
4. Close word and outlook
5. Open outlook. You're prompted to sign in before the splash screen even goes away
6. Open word and observe that you're signed into word/office again :argh:

Further: Setting up group policy to disallow office sign-ins makes it impossible to connect to o365/exchange or to even add the account

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. poo poo be hosed.

we have that gpo active on some 2016 deployments and it doesn't do that, but who knows after the next update

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I still think not using outlook is the best choice.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
notes 8/9 was a better mail client than outlook.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

that looks like Linux so all bets are off. I don't think it has a concept of user level applications since its not designed for users

lol shagger :razz:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Shaggar posted:

notes 8/9 was a better mail client than outlook.

pram posted:

lol shagger :razz:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

outlook is real bad

Use mac OS mail for a month and tell me that again

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

its cool that they took a 1 week 10kloc competition java game and made it worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

osx is super bad for sure, but I'm on windows 10 so I have a great mail app built in. also doesn't osx have both office outlook and app store outlook? or is app store outlook ios only?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
no outlook on macos app store

shitload of third party "outlook" apps though

including things like "mail for outlook" which i'm totally sure aren't web front ends or scams

There Will Be Penalty fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 8, 2017

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
app stores were a mistake

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

only half the fake outlooks as on the microsoft store

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there aren't any fake outlooks on the Microsoft store.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

so shaggs what's the best mail client to use on the finest microsoft os, windows 7

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ibm lotus notes running in an os/2 vm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

an os/2 vm

ahem, arcaOS 5.0

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cis autodrag posted:

gonna say that yeah outlook on mac is a marked improvement somehow

windows is still the best with the default but i nurse an arcane conflagration in thunderbird of many old accounts and it is charming to see the insane desktop only ui they have while admiring that it too is better than outlook will ever be

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'what if we made firefox an email?' sure

'what if we made ie4 an email?' :shepicide:

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
for the first time ever I actually got hit with windows update rebooting my PC unattended when it pulled patch tuesday updates in the middle of the night this week

but also I saved my poo poo like a smart person so all I lost was my place in a lovely youtube video

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

app stores were a mistake

it only works if its the only way to install apps, and that only works if you release your os after the dawn of ubiquitous broadband

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Agile Vector posted:

gonna say that yeah outlook on mac is a marked improvement somehow

windows is still the best with the default but i nurse an arcane conflagration in thunderbird of many old accounts and it is charming to see the insane desktop only ui they have while admiring that it too is better than outlook will ever be

:eng101: a conflagration is a thing that is on fire

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Perplx posted:

it only works if its the only way to install apps, and that only works if you release your os after the dawn of ubiquitous broadband

I'm sort of wondering if Windows Driver Signing didn't have the right idea here.

Release your poo poo wherever you want, but it has to be signed by a certificate issued by an EV certificate authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sapozhnik posted:

:eng101: a conflagration is a thing that is on fire

in my defense it is about 15 years of emails and accounts so im surprised every time it opens and works. itll probably break next time I try to read something :ohdear: