Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slo-Tek posted:

Is this a euphemism? I suspect it might be.

i would like you to be the surrogate for my child

we're not gonna involve my wife's eggs, though, we're going to be using yours

also, we're doing this the old fashioned way, and if you don't do it, you're fired. also there will be some stuff that can't lead to pregnancy, i hear it helps indirectly.

this is just surrogacy though, nothing more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

FizFashizzle posted:

Did he threaten them to do it or did he just like, ask?

Either one is highly inappropriate

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FizFashizzle posted:

Did he threaten them to do it or did he just like, ask?

"I want you to have my babies" is not something your boss is supposed to say.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

empty whippet box posted:

holy loving poo poo what a ridiculously drawn district

Oh, they get worse.

article

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

House ethics is also looking into Farenthold.

Also the statement for Franks says "sexual harassment and/or retaliation for opposing sexual harassment"

Edit:
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/938914585352069120
What the gently caress? :stare:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

evilweasel posted:

To be clear, this is Franks' side of the story and I'm quite sure it leaves a lot out.

yeah that is the best possible presentation of the facts for him. it'll almost certainly be much worse.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

axeil posted:

Going to go with "molested someone and then fired her and anyone she reported it to"

Well drat.

If that's literally all it was (narrator: "It wasn't.") I wouldn't be too horrified. I mean, it's a wildly inappropriate thing to ask of your employees, but.

evilweasel posted:

To be clear, this is Franks' side of the story and I'm quite sure it leaves a lot out.

yeah he wouldn't have bolted for the exit if it was just an extremely ill-advised and power-imbalancey surrogacy discussion

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think "Asked my subordinates to be surrogates" is code for "Tried to gently caress my subordinates, and totally wouldn't have asked them to get abortions if they'd gotten pregnant."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

i would like you to be the surrogate for my child

we're not gonna involve my wife's eggs, though, we're going to be using yours

also, we're doing this the old fashioned way, and if you don't do it, you're fired. also there will be some stuff that can't lead to pregnancy, i hear it helps indirectly.

this is just surrogacy though, nothing more

this is what I figure

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Red Oktober posted:

Oh, they get worse.

article

Burn gerrymandering, piss on Gorsuch's grave for voting not to, etc etc.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

Hyperinflation was caused not by the reparation demands being outrageous (and as a percentage of GDP they were not) but because the government was politically unable to raise taxes to fund them so it printed money instead. And reparations weren't, like, crazy: Germany had spent the entire war wrecking French territory and none of the war was fought on German territory. Now, they probably weren't the best policy politically, but they weren't like a moral outrage and they were nowhere near as onerous as German propaganda made them seem.

The Ruhr was seized because Germany just decided to ignore the reparations and the French probably should have seized it again rather than let Hitler ignore the treaty.

Hyperinflation had it's roots in how the German government pursued the war effort, that's true. The reparations were right to an extent, but the manner in which they were carried out was atrocious and exacerbated the problems of the German currency. Once hyperinflation fully took hold the combination of internal economic strife and poor monetary policy, a weak central government, and foreign powers suppressing and occupying German territory really only had one conclusion.

E: Saw your next post and pretty much agree with that

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 8, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i can't figure out if that's a parody account or real

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I for one am shocked that a Republican rep viewed women around him only as potential incubators for his child or things to stick his dick in.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

eyebeem posted:

I think "Asked my subordinates to be surrogates" is code for "Tried to gently caress my subordinates, and totally wouldn't have asked them to get abortions if they'd gotten pregnant."

Yeah no way Franks did not do some creepy poo poo that he did not willingly divulge. We will hear about it from other sources

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the Germans did to the French after the Franco-Prussian War was at least as bad as what the Allies did after WWI. In fact what the Allies did was WAY easier than what the Germans had just done to the Russians just a year prior.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If that's literally all it was (narrator: "It wasn't.") I wouldn't be too horrified. I mean, it's a wildly inappropriate thing to ask of your employees, but.

yeah he wouldn't have bolted for the exit if it was just an extremely ill-advised and power-imbalancey surrogacy discussion

Given what we now know I think it was

-Asked staffers to be "surrogates"
-When staffers refused performed the "surrogacy procedure" himself
-Fired them for daring to get raped by him

I hope he kills himself.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Some moron on TD will create an extremely lovely, low-quality version with Trump doing the dunking and they will go around circle-jerking.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

#goptoo

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

it gets worse

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/938880313870209025

"why doesn't that idiot john lewis know what the civil rights movement was all about, like donald trump does"

this is like, the purest form of co-opting

a bunch of white people co-opted the poc museum and then shamed them for it

just amazing

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Finally, California gets more senators.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

Also the statement for Franks says "sexual harassment and/or retaliation for opposing sexual harassment"

Edit:

:lol: leaving as of jan 31 2018 huh?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Yeah no way Franks did not do some creepy poo poo that he did not willingly divulge. We will hear about it from other sources

I'm willing to believe there wasn't a sexual component, if he threatened their jobs over it. "Trying to force a person to go through pregnancy and childbirth" would be EXTREMELY messed up

Or he could have done it so he could get a child to molest or whatever, but I think "carry my wife and I's child if you know what's good for you" would be enough for this reaction

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gotta give Franks credit, this is a new one

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i can't figure out if that's a parody account or real

It looks like she's a Clickhole character.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slo-Tek posted:

"I want you to have my babies" is not something your boss is supposed to say.

I mean, obviously this his version of events, and he was probably threatening her to have a sadomasochist threesome or something, but I have friends that have sought out a surrogate. It's an incredibly personal process, and it's not one that's undertaken likely.

But yeah he was probably asking her to do something he saw on kink.com or whatever

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

This seems like a really irresponsible thing to tweet

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Yeah, he blocked me within about 30 seconds of my reply. :laugh:

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Someone must have watched the Handmaids Tale recently.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
CNN says there's two GOP reps under ethics investigation. Who's the other?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

Edit:

We're not heading into "The Handmaid's Tale", we're already there. That's some Commander Fred bullshit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ekeog posted:

especially since it's probably going downhill from here

edit:

Trent Franks Killed A Limited Number Of His Own Unborn Children

quote:

Trent Franks and his wife Josie have two lovely children, conceived through in vitro fertilization, carried by a surrogate, and legally transferred by a notary in Tucson [in 2008]

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 8, 2017

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Your Taint posted:

Farenthold.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Asking your staffer about surrogacy is definitely way loving inappropriate, but it has to be the mother of all fig leaf stories for what he really did and what others must have evidence beyond all doubt. Because the immediate eject button here is a little out of place.

If like if it was legitimate and his wife couldn't carry and they wanted a kid, ok, and still asking your staff is super hosed up, even if you were not suggesting conceiving through regular old sex and were really only serious about the child part. But you can probably keep your career if you make the right concessions if that were the case. Maybe, I think.

I'm guessing it's a super rosy spin on something like thirsty texts and Dennis Reynolds "The Implication" tactics, and then retaliation when these women said no.

I'd be a little surprised honestly if it turns out he was just really dumb about asking, in good faith, something so personal of people who work for him. And then got so embarrassed/whatever that he just resigned over it. I'm sure the penny will drop soon.

EDIT: reread this and wanted to clarify I'm not saying I don't think he doesn't deserve to lose his job in congress. More that I would expect any republican in that spot (if that's all that this was) to fight and say they didn't do anything too out of line and other disgusting justifications.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 8, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Taint posted:

Farenthold

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, this sounds like its the tip of the iceberg.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

my eyes glaze over any tweet with fewer than 1000 likes, so it would be great if you guys didn't post any of those

tia

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

dreffen posted:

Farenthold.

Human-elephant seel hybrid from Texas.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

imagine the womens' version of what happened if he thinks this is the story that makes him sound good and normal

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Ravenfood posted:

Only in the sense that they occasionally knowledge reality exists and comment on it. I think they'd absolutely balk at burying a huge story because of its political implications.

Did you miss the months of equating Hillary's emails with...literally everything Trump did? And trying to split coverage equally?

CNN is basically that dril tweet if you replace "I'm not owned" with "We're not biased".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ekeog posted:

there is absolutely not one single iota of a chance that it is anywhere as mild as what he himself admits to in his statement about it, and what he admitted to is not mild by any stretch of the imagination. I can't fuckin wait to hear what kind of insanely depraved lunatic poo poo he actually did.

Moktaro posted:

CNN is basically that dril tweet if you replace "I'm not owned" with "We're not biased".

:confused: do you mean because they're constantly having 9th-level GOP talking heads on to slobber on trump's dick?

• Locked thread