Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Control Volume posted:

Its definitely not 15-20 battles when you're new and have no premium and bad crew and are getting stepped on by hetzers and cruisers because you wanted to start with Russian mediums

It took me 53 games to finish the Lee (for the M4 only) when I first started, no premium. The Lee was so much worse to play than the derp T82, it felt really bad and I struggled to finish it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

My guess would be that WG wants more variation in the number of tanks ( cause otherwise hello tier 8 IS3 battles) as well as the possibility for the player to stomp the opposition in a higher tier tank and to overcome higher tier tanks for the challenge.
Any form of tactical or exciting gameplay is probably on the low part of their priorities.

I don't see a whole lot of IS-3s nowadays; if MM was same-tier I'd be more worried about battles full of OP premium tanks, i.e. matches with mostly Skorpions, Defenders, Patriots, etc.

2Jets posted:

Tier 3s don't fight 5s anymore.

Oh wow, this appears to be correct and I didn't realize it happened!

Hellsau posted:

It took me 53 games to finish the Lee (for the M4 only) when I first started, no premium. The Lee was so much worse to play than the derp T82, it felt really bad and I struggled to finish it off.

The Lee was definitely a tank I struggled with as a new player and would certainly do better in with experience. I [apparently] spent 69 (nice!) battles in it with about a 48% WR, and the Grant only took 19 battles at ~68%. Those are of course different grinds but I undoubtedly had a better time in the Grant, years after driving the Lee.

So I guess what I'm getting at is gently caress the Confederacy and all those racist Nazi cucks. :colbert:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I was playing tier 4 not too long ago and I probably ran into single digit numbers of hetzers and cruisers during my stay, and encountered seal clubbers probably twice.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Its definitely not 15-20 battles when you're new and have no premium and bad crew and are getting stepped on by hetzers and cruisers because you wanted to start with Russian mediums

Someone still has PTSD from the A20, a line that nowadays is completely optional.

You highlight my main point, we are all jaded as gently caress of this game and our experiences are probably not the same as it will be for a new player.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Steelion posted:

I was playing tier 4 not too long ago and I probably ran into single digit numbers of hetzers and cruisers during my stay, and encountered seal clubbers probably twice.

The problem with actual tier 4 tanks isn't seal clubbers (because any tier 4 you'll actually play should crush a B2) it's that tier 5s have twice your HP and can oneshot you, and tier 6s have three times your HP and can overkill you. There are also problematic tanks, like the Matilda or the invisible

also I need to break out my SICK JUMPS account if tier 3s don't see tier 5s, sick jumps ahoy.

what the gently caress though why the hell did they not actually advertise that matchmaking change, we're pretty goddamn enfranchised and I don't think ANYONE mentioned that until 2Jets did, lol wargaming

Atomizer posted:

The Lee was definitely a tank I struggled with as a new player and would certainly do better in with experience. I [apparently] spent 69 (nice!) battles in it with about a 48% WR, and the Grant only took 19 battles at ~68%. Those are of course different grinds but I undoubtedly had a better time in the Grant, years after driving the Lee.

So I guess what I'm getting at is gently caress the Confederacy and all those racist Nazi cucks. :colbert:

gently caress anyone who flies the Traitor's Flag. The Lee is a lovely tank due to it's many, MANY weaknesses as I've ranted about before and the adequate raw DPM doesn't really make up for it because it is too inconsistent due to inaccuracy and poor gold pen when facing tier 5+. It cannot afford to get close enough to reliably hit and reliably pen higher tiers, and it isn't a useful chassis for playing long range.

e: New players are still hosed. I made a gimmick account, dumped 3 months of premium and 10k gold onto it through tournaments and events, and there's just no way I'd be able to keep it going. I have all the map experience needed, I know all the tanks, and I have access to premium, and it's just too much horseshit to wade through to make your way up. Stock grinds in particular are brutal, to the point where you're limited to suiciding and moving on. Like the Leopard is worse than a Pz1C if you don't spend a few thousand free XP on its modules, it's really dumb.

e2: oh also taking a hundred games to get sixth sense is the pits

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 6, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe they aren't more hosed than before but I still don't see people sticking around, which is a shame because this game still has potential.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

they're selling the e twentyfive for sixty one united states dollars and ninety nine cents

it is a tank they gave away in the past

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I always feel the urge to play this game again. I came back before, played a week. It's still updated, sitting there on my desk top. I sold my account and the low tier gameplay is a poo poo show.

Still might end up playing this again, and I don't know why.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Cardiac posted:

My guess would be that WG wants more variation in the number of tanks ( cause otherwise hello tier 8 IS3 battles)

Imagine just rolling over them like a god in a Defender :allears:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

e: New players are still hosed. I made a gimmick account, dumped 3 months of premium and 10k gold onto it through tournaments and events, and there's just no way I'd be able to keep it going. I have all the map experience needed, I know all the tanks, and I have access to premium, and it's just too much horseshit to wade through to make your way up. Stock grinds in particular are brutal, to the point where you're limited to suiciding and moving on. Like the Leopard is worse than a Pz1C if you don't spend a few thousand free XP on its modules, it's really dumb.

e2: oh also taking a hundred games to get sixth sense is the pits

I think the problem is that you're approaching being a new player with the hindsight of all that knowledge, whereas when you're a new player you simply don't know better. Every time I got owned by some higher tier vehicle it just made me want to grind to that thing because obviously then I'd be the one doing the owning.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

lol they are selling the E25 for $60 now. Pretty sure I got mine for whatever the going rate tier 7 premiums was so like $25?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's $60 with about $30 of gold bundled in so about the same price for the tank itself.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Barry posted:

It's $60 with about $30 of gold bundled in so about the same price for the tank itself.

The free fart in the mouth they throw in is easily a $100 value so really WG is losing money!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah it's a douchey sales tactic but the tank itself still costs about the same, you're just forced to buy a bunch of extras with it.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I am pretty sure once upon a time I had a Lorraine 40t but cant seem to find it anywere now what the hell?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They turned the Lorraine into a premium and added another napkin tank to that line.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

Tsurupettan posted:

i don't believe this for one minute lmao

maybe 12 million accounts created, but certainly not actual players.

The only numbers (that are said to be unofficial) that I've found are here: http://wot-news.com/stat/server/us/norm/en

Click Vehicle Shares and Tiers among the buttons near the top, then scroll down to Vehicle Tier Dynamic Per Week to see what was polled for quantity of games played in what tiers. The bell curve is still all at t1-t3 with a tier 5 bump.

edit: how I interpret some of this data as a scenario: click Battle, you see a quantity of players in the queue. If the above stats are close to correct, around 56% of the queue is just at tier 1-3. If you include tier 4 and 5, you now have 77% of online players in the queue just in tiers 1-5.

Strike Anywhere fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They turned the Lorraine into a premium and added another napkin tank to that line.

Which btw was a huge upgrade.
The Batchat 25t AP is really fun to play.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Stringbean posted:

I always feel the urge to play this game again. I came back before, played a week. It's still updated, sitting there on my desk top. I sold my account and the low tier gameplay is a poo poo show.

Still might end up playing this again, and I don't know why.

They always come back.... :getin:

Barry posted:

I think the problem is that you're approaching being a new player with the hindsight of all that knowledge, whereas when you're a new player you simply don't know better. Every time I got owned by some higher tier vehicle it just made me want to grind to that thing because obviously then I'd be the one doing the owning.

This has always been the problem with this game. New players don't know any better because the game mechanics are esoteric and Wargaming has never come up with a helpful tutorial to teach them how to play. The only way players become competent is by knowing enough to seek information and then putting forth the effort to actually follow through. That's why there's such a gulf between competent players and the drooling masses. That's not how you make a good game, that's how you end up with a toxic player base and a "gods & clods" mentality.

wjs5 posted:

I am pretty sure once upon a time I had a Lorraine 40t but cant seem to find it anywere now what the hell?

Cardiac posted:

Which btw was a huge upgrade.
The Batchat 25t AP is really fun to play.

No joke, nowadays I see one of the various Batchats and don't even notice which one it is anymore. They should just make a whole Batchat tree at this point.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

That's why there's such a gulf between competent players and the drooling masses. That's not how you make a good game, that's how you end up with a toxic player base and a "gods & clods" mentality.

I think there's something in the early tiers that teaches people the wrong lessons, because 99% of players would do vastly better with my strategy of "hold W until you see an enemy, left click that enemy until it is dead, repeat until you are dead." Instead a huge amount of the shitters think their time alive in battle is more important than having fun shooting tanks, or helping your team win by dealing damage while shooting tanks. It's real bad!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellsau posted:

I think there's something in the early tiers that teaches people the wrong lessons, because 99% of players would do vastly better with my strategy of "hold W until you see an enemy, left click that enemy until it is dead, repeat until you are dead." Instead a huge amount of the shitters think their time alive in battle is more important than having fun shooting tanks, or helping your team win by dealing damage while shooting tanks. It's real bad!

Case in point: HE

Godlike at low tiers, people just can't figure it out later

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
One batchat has a 4x170 damage clip, another has a 6x300, then another has 5x390 (and yet another has a 3x750 :v:)

The 12t is not only a bad scout (380 view range lol), it doesn't even have the burst damage to be a threat to other LTs. And yet you have to grind to unlock 3 more tanks...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

It's probably a result of high-DPM, low HP lower tiers, coupled with howitzers that can one-shot a lot of tanks. Add confusing camo/spotting mechanics ("I keep getting shot by tanks I can't see!") and you get a very apprehensive, unskilled player. You literally have to tell them how the game works because they're not even going to know to ask.

Also, unnecessary XP/credit grinds gating players in un-fun vehicles doesn't help!

Steelion posted:

One batchat has a 4x170 damage clip, another has a 6x300, then another has 5x390 (and yet another has a 3x750 :v:)

The 12t is not only a bad scout (380 view range lol), it doesn't even have the burst damage to be a threat to other LTs. And yet you have to grind to unlock 3 more tanks...

I meant in the sense that they're all tiny, gofast autoloaders that you can pretty much shoot with anything and don't really want to get clipped by. I couldn't care less if I was shooting at Batchat B, Batchat #741, or Batchat whatever. They need to add some Batchat TDs; it's not like they'd be any more fake than the rest of them. Also, I'm glad that I got mine when it was a tier 9 so I didn't have to go through whatever shitshow this line is like now.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Low tiers teaches you that you get shot by invisible tanks or fast tanks with machine guns and you have no armor worth mentioning.
Any form of offensive push is punished hard.
I am not surprised that people pick up the wrong ideas from this and develop behaviours which are just detrimental at higher tiers.

Giving players a KV-1 as first tank would probably do wonders.....

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd say that mid tiers also teaches you that you'll get shot by invisible tanks and armor is worthless (unless it's on all the higher tiers you'll face).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that armor is useless except when it isn't is a very good lesson

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So what you guys are saying is that Wargaming is a terrible developer and has no idea how to balance their tanks, maps, or game as a whole. At this point their best bet probably would be to implement same-tier MM and re-balance everything around that.

The map overhauls would have to be a longer-term project.

Can't do anything about the loving spotting/camo system, though!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well supposedly they are rebalancing some of the maps they are making into HD?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BadLlama posted:

All I've heard about is just getting rid of some of the climbs

Also lol if you think they're ever going to be released. It's gonna be the Duke Nukem Forever of features

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BadLlama posted:

the map team has rebalanced just about every map several times. lots and lots of effort has been put in.

yet it's debatable if they've been improved at all.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
WoT team suck at everything ~but~ where is the competition? There is no other game out there like it. I want to play a game like Steel Panthers (Not the band) where you have a WWII campaign mode where you develop your forces. There aren't any I know of on the market. WoT comes pretty close even though it is technically in another genre. What are the alternatives?

gently caress did I get stuck with some terrible pubbie teams last night. I often did more damage than the rest of my team combined and was never out of the top two on exp/damage. Given I'm a poor player on a horrendous ping and :shrug:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

there was AW but obsidian are eternal fuckups, and also War Thunder which seemed to have messed up core gameplay so i never even tried it and also it's a flight sim or something

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't there some game called warthunder or something where you drive tanks?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

tanks is somehow way worse than it was years ago so i just picked war thunder up completely sight unseen two weeks ago and the core gameplay loop is so much better than wot's

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I keep getting autoassigned to the ALGUM BR? server and I have to play a game before I notice. It is as bad as you'd expect.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Poil posted:

Isn't there some game called warthunder or something where you drive tanks?
Not WWII.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Logged in. Played 3 games. WoT is probably worse than its ever been. 15-3, 15-5, and 15-5 losses. I think I defended new MM when it first dropped but it's horrific. If you have useless top tiers you're just going to get rofl stomped.

I told you. My predictions regarding the MM were exactly correct.

Also, light tank chat. While the 90MM on the T49 is an improvement, it still is a mostly worthless tank that cannot really contribute to the battle. In fact, other than the premium lights, I struggle to find almost any case where I wouldn't rather be in a medium.

HFX fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 8, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

DonkeyHotay posted:

tanks is somehow way worse than it was years ago so i just picked war thunder up completely sight unseen two weeks ago and the core gameplay loop is so much better than wot's

I too enjoy not being able to repair the tracks of my tank until I grind out a module.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just had a guy on my team whose WN8 matched his win rate at 44.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Someone still has PTSD from the A20, a line that nowadays is completely optional.

You highlight my main point, we are all jaded as gently caress of this game and our experiences are probably not the same as it will be for a new player.

You cant point to a different path as if new players are going to magically know what tanks to avoid.