Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

abigserve posted:

could you provide even just one reason, in plain English, why you dispute this

To add to this, I don't think there's a single use for bitcoin other than the illicit black market that isn't better accomplished by our current financial system. Most of the black market is completely priced out of bitcoin and Ethereum now so I wonder if they're even useful for that.

And if the price of bitcoin only reflected it's usefulness to the black market we'd be back to miners running on GPUs in peoples' basements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So if bitcoins can be tossed in a dumpster on a hard drive and the hard limit is 21 million of them, do they become like those super rare magic cards? like some guy can buy some, put them on his hard drive then smash it to try and piss off nerds/ drive up the price?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

QuarkJets posted:

You don't seem to understand that time is an infinite continuum, not a point

Furthermore, shorting would mean giving your money to an openly crooked exchange like Bitfinex, which would be stupendously stupid even if you could predict the exact moment of the crash

Coward

Put your money where your years of Buttcoin posts are and short the Definite Ponzi Scam known as bitcoin

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You're asking me that I provide a list of every single person that posted "How many bitcoins do you own" and "You have all your assets in Bitcoins, right?" to be able to refer to that set of exchanges?

No, I'm asking you to identify which poster involved in the current conversation has done so, which seems reasonable given that you have spent the last 3 pages using this hypothetical poster as the cornerstone of your argument.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Do you think that the posters asking me to prove I'm fully leveraged on bitcoins given my stance that they are not a scam were at all being sincere or they were just posting dumb stuff (trolling, as you said, forum poster Baronash)
I am sure that at some point in the last seven years someone was sincere when they said something to that effect. Except you keep bringing up this alleged incident as though everyone in the thread has done so.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

my favorite part of this entire thread has been Ham Sandwiches totally not getting owned over and over by he own posts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I do understand the different risk factors, and genuinely get why someone would be skeptical of bitcoins and not short them.

But then you make posts like this one:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well the guy that felt man enough to be like "YOU BETTER BUY ALL THE BITCOINS IF YOU THINK THEY'RE NOT A SCAM" suddenly feels very differently about he idea of bitcoin naysayers shorting them :ohdear:

Hope you enjoyed seeing this turnabout folks live and in action

leading everyone to believe that you don't see the difference between a short and long position, because here you're treating them as though they're basically the same. So do you actually understand the difference and make dumbshit posts where you pretend that you don't or are you actually just a dumbshit?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

abigserve posted:

could you provide even just one reason, in plain English, why you dispute this

They're a new form of digital currency with different characteristics that allows them to be used in different ways than fiat money. People focus on these differences and only highlight the drawbacks compared to fiat money. I think it's cool to see alternatives to paper money that is issued and managed by governments and while it's still early days and all the bumps of cryptos are pretty obvious, my take is they'll turn out pretty useful long term.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

poo poo is at 16k now, when is the crash? I need to make popcorn in time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They're a new form of digital currency with different characteristics that allows them to be used in different ways than fiat money. People focus on these differences and only highlight the drawbacks compared to fiat money. I think it's cool to see alternatives to paper money that is issued and managed by governments and while it's still early days and all the bumps of cryptos are pretty obvious, my take is they'll turn out pretty useful long term.

that's the thing though almost all of the discussion has been about why bitcoin is bad, not cryptos in general

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LinYutang posted:

Coward

Put your money where your years of Buttcoin posts are and short the Definite Ponzi Scam known as bitcoin

If you're willing to just bet on the outcome then I'll take you up on this. Let's say that my position is that 1 bitcoin by the end of December 31 2019 will definitely have a price lower than bitcoin's all-time high price, loser pays the difference to the winner up to a maximum loss of $1k. Do you agree to these terms?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/adrjeffries/status/938824429299257351

well that's one way to make number keep go up

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

divabot posted:

https://twitter.com/adrjeffries/status/938824429299257351

well that's one way to make number keep go up

This is a good investment opportunity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guys just short bitcoin if you don't believe in it

Nevermind that the exchanges are known to actively gently caress with their own price to close leveraged positions

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's not a reason you think they will retain value or what they will even be used for. Why do you think they will be useful long term? Why do the characteristics of bitcoin, or any crypto currency, infer an advantage over traditional currency?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I literally quoted the times where you didn't respond to my points in any meaningful way whatsoever and now you're claiming I refused to substantiate my claims, so I'm not sure if you want me to kick your door in and wave a printed out copy of your god drat retard posts in your loving face

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

BTC tips for gbs partisan posts. Alms, alms for the poor

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

ilmucche posted:

So if bitcoins can be tossed in a dumpster on a hard drive and the hard limit is 21 million of them, do they become like those super rare magic cards? like some guy can buy some, put them on his hard drive then smash it to try and piss off nerds/ drive up the price?

i've wondered about this too. like, a certain amount of bitcoins just get lost every day either due to harddrive crash, or forgetting your wallet password or whatever. how many of the 16 million buttcoins currently in circulation are actually accessible at this point?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

i've wondered about this too. like, a certain amount of bitcoins just get lost every day either due to harddrive crash, or forgetting your wallet password or whatever. r how many of the 16 million buttcoins currently in circulation are actually accessible at this point?

It's estimated that up to 25% are lost forever.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
How did they transfer the tulips out of Nicehash when the unconfirmed transactions keep going up?

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

They're a new form of digital currency with different characteristics that allows them to be used in different ways than fiat money.

The only difference is that cryptos can (in theory) operate in an environment without trust. There are 2 problems with that:

1. How many times a year do you find yourself in this type of situation?
2. Buying, selling, or trading coins all require you to put trust in a 3rd party anyway.

I've seen the stated use cases put forth by cryptos like Ethereum and Iota. In most cases, they are using convoluted methods (smart contracts, oracles, proof of work, tangles) to solve problems that can be handled better by using a trusted third party, and availing yourself of the legal system of your country if something goes wrong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

amotea posted:

How did they transfer the tulips out of Nicehash when the unconfirmed transactions keep going up?

The size of the fee that you offer to pay helps to determine the likelihood of your transaction getting confirmed. You're bribing the miners to give your transaction priority, basically. A thief looking to move a lot of bitcoins very quickly can just offer a very high transaction fee to ensure that the transfer occurs as soon as possible

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I think a good approach is Occam's razor.

There are 1334 cryptocurrencies on https://coinmarketcap.com...
Are they all scams or unknowingly building something worthless?

Many of them have websites with pictures of the people who are part of the organization/company...
Are these all fake or are in on the scam?

Many of them are on github and have the source code/usage examples/templates/api docs posted there or on on the website...
Are these all fake or useless?

I'm sure some of these are scams but I have a hard time believing it's all a big facade or grand conspiracy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

wide stance posted:

Many of them have websites with pictures of the people who are part of the organization/company...

Many of them are on github and have the source code/usage examples/templates/api docs posted there or on on the website...

I'm sure some of these are scams but I have a hard time believing it's all a big facade or grand conspiracy.

I wonder what the 1337th coin will be.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

wide stance posted:

I also have a number of projects on github - how much are you willing to value them at?

Eta: thinking about it, creating a website for my altcoin sounds exactly like something 15 year old me would do

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 8, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

EorayMel posted:

I wonder what the 1337th coin will be.

H4x0rCoin

It’s the cryptocoin graveyard. For every one coin permanently lost in another currency, one is added to the market.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

wide stance posted:

millions of people smoke cigarettes, they can't all be dinks!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

wide stance posted:

lol

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

wide stance posted:

like, loving what. You apply Occam's Razor here pretending you have literally nothing else to go on but your cherrypicked evidence. Your argument is literally "but with all this utter horseshit, there's gotta be a pony in here!!"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

wide stance posted:

I don't think they're all scams. Some are proof-of-concept, others are legit attempts. In any case, I personally find the blockchain concept an interesting one that can possibly be applied to several different aspects of our lives.

At the end of the day, I think the primary appeal of cryptocurrencies is that they're unregulated, but that deregulation is exactly the reason why they'll never be a stable replacement for legit currency. And it's exactly why I'd personally never invest in any of them. Buyer beware and all that.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

There are 772,000 results for "healing crystals" on google...
Are they all scams or unknowingly selling something worthless?

Many of them are on amazon and have the actual crystals posted there or on on the website...

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OccamCoin

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Nerds spent the electrical output of Ireland making a currency that's orders of magnitude worse at being a currency than the currencies we already have. I'm already dreading the shame I will feel trying to explain this to future generations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Has anyone said starting now yet?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Andy Dufresne posted:

To add to this, I don't think there's a single use for bitcoin other than the illicit black market that isn't better accomplished by our current financial system. Most of the black market is completely priced out of bitcoin and Ethereum now so I wonder if they're even useful for that.

And if the price of bitcoin only reflected it's usefulness to the black market we'd be back to miners running on GPUs in peoples' basements.

What about Western Union type bank transfers? These motherfuckers have ridiculous abusive fees and since there’s no competition, they charge what they want.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
how do I make bitcoins.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The fact that cryptocurrencies have issues and challenges to address isn't something I disagree with. There's no shortage of posters pointing those out, I'd say it's well covered.

The idea that cryptos are a worthless scam that is only a ponzi / tulip / ultimately worthless thing with no value is what I dispute. And until recently I was one of the few people in the thread advocating that position. I have presented a lot of reasons why I think cryptos are different, and have some different characteristics from fiat money, and outlined some of those uses, and it generally doesn't seem to sway either side of the aisle.

I'm not sure why it's expected that I post anything other than my opinion, which is "Cryptos are risky and speculative as poo poo, but they are a new creation and something worth considering for those that have a high appetite for risk, instead of something to be ridiculed entirely". It's not that I handwave the problems, I just think they're part of the bumpy ride when a brand new thing emerges into world markets.

As for the bubble talk, The current price of Bitcoin in particular seems quite inflated, I wouldn't advise people to buy huge sums at the current prices, then again, if they want to speculate knowing the risk I think that's fine.

What’s his name? lol

The name of the cryptocurrency you just spent a chunk of change on, i mean

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Only good coin is goatse.cx coin

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

amotea posted:

Is the size of that queue normal, or has something happened?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

how do I make bitcoins.

When a man and :goatsecx: love each other very much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

how do I make bitcoins.

God bless American ingenuity :911: