Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

banned from Starbucks posted:

Han Solo isnt a funny character. So who cares how good they were at making sitcoms

We already determined that Han Solo is Roy Moore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Han Solo isnt a funny character. So who cares how good they were at making sitcoms

Yeah he is. In two out of three OT movies Han is basically comic relief.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Serious characters in funny situations/circumstances chafing against their personality is kind of a comedy staple, Han doesn't have to be Star Lord or anything. Lord and Miller can make a show about literally every important historical figure in real life and it's their first thing and they nail it, but can't be trusted with Han Solo. I think Disney will start taking chances in Star Wars a couple of movies down the line, just like it took this many years for Marvel to show some originality with Thor. I'm ready to be surprised, though. I wonder when we get the trailer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Penpal posted:

Serious characters in funny situations/circumstances chafing against their personality is kind of a comedy staple, Han doesn't have to be Star Lord or anything. Lord and Miller can make a show about literally every important historical figure in real life and it's their first thing and they nail it, but can't be trusted with Han Solo. I think Disney will start taking chances in Star Wars a couple of movies down the line, just like it took this many years for Marvel to show some originality with Thor. I'm ready to be surprised, though. I wonder when we get the trailer

While this almost certainly won't happen...I've got my fingers crossed for the teaser reveal attached to VIII.

Cynically; maybe they could attach the teaser to 3rd week IMAX shows or something, drive some ticket sales that way.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Good article on the growing concern of TLJ stealing too many plot points and elements from ESB: https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/12/7/16742966/star-wars-the-last-jedi-empire-strikes-back-rian-johnson-sequel-repeat

War for the Planet of the Apes is a prime example of a recent franchise sequel restraining itself on familiar spectacle (and plots) in favor of originality and storytelling. Hopefully Rian Johnson's new trilogy will go this route?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've got a bad feeling that IX is just going to shamelessly rip off Return of the Jedi by bringing the trilogy to a finale and rounding out the story arcs of the major characters.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ingmar terdman posted:

I've got a bad feeling that IX is just going to shamelessly rip off Return of the Jedi

It's strongly implied that they will by bringing back J.J. Abrams to direct it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Imagine being the person who managed to get so worked up over the jivjov gimmick, they actually tried to own him with a red text av

l o l

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lord & Miller should try making a new Ace Ventura move.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

El Burbo posted:

Imagine being the person who managed to get so worked up over the jivjov gimmick, they actually tried to own him with a red text av

l o l

Joke's on them; 90% of my posting is through the app...I can't even see my redtext.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's the second funniest character besides C-3PO. Almost all the best laughs come from him.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Ace Ventura is awful and problematic, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They weren't literally making Ace Ventura.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

viral spiral posted:

Good article on the growing concern of TLJ stealing too many plot points and elements from ESB: https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/12/7/16742966/star-wars-the-last-jedi-empire-strikes-back-rian-johnson-sequel-repeat

War for the Planet of the Apes is a prime example of a recent franchise sequel restraining itself on familiar spectacle (and plots) in favor of originality and storytelling. Hopefully Rian Johnson's new trilogy will go this route?

I would actually be pretty surprised if TLJ doesn't go to great lengths to shake things up in a major way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cnut the Great posted:

I would actually be pretty surprised if TLJ doesn't go to great lengths to shake things up in a major way.

Like, what if Luke is Ren's father????

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This is a small detail but has anyone noticed that they seem to be going with the pointy-tip lighsabers from Revenge of the Sith?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 8, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Taik Waititi was actually asked about directing Star Wars several months back. His answer was "nah, I'd be fired".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t think Lucasfilm is adverse to the idea of a full-on comedy film in the Star Wars universe, they just didn’t want that for Solo.

Based on that Hollywood Reporter article it really sounds like Lord and Miller were making the film Disney approved but also got a lot of alternate takes where they had the actors go really broad (which they could add in the edit, if they felt it worked or added a laugh) and then the leads got annoyed that their potential superstar-making performances weren’t being taken seriously by the directors and snitched to the higher ups. Which is hilarious because Emilia is garbage at acting anyway and her only hope of not getting a Razzie was going to be if the film was a out-and-out comedy.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

growing concern of TLJ stealing too many plot points and elements from ESB

I am deeply concerned.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If The Last Jedi contains even one similar plot point to ESB I swear I will lose it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If The Last Jedi contains even one similar plot point to ESB I swear I will lose it.

We’re almost certainly going to find out who Rey’s father is so

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cnut the Great posted:

This is a small detail but has anyone noticed that they seem to be going with the pointy-tip lighsabers from Revenge of the Sith?

It's like this in The Force Awakens too.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

You and me both brosef. I will be so angry I will start an online petition.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is going to be a climatic light sword fight.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

lelandjs posted:

We’re almost certainly going to find out who Rey’s father is so

Rey’s dad is Joe Montana

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thankfully Dinsey did a focus group on TLJ and they said the same thing, so after a few minor reshoots TLJ will now surprise and delight audiences worldwide by working in plot points from audience favorites Fight Club and The Sixth Sense.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's really not that big of deal. Just go into these New Star Wars accepting that the previous creative voice is long gone and they're now pandering schlock.

They're perfectly entertaining movies so far.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

It's like this in The Force Awakens too.

I just scanned the screenshots real quick but as far as I can tell they all look old-style...

...except for this one shot:

Weird.

Sorry for the OCD de-rail. I think the pointy tips look cool, though.

Grendels Dad posted:

Thankfully Dinsey did a focus group on TLJ and they said the same thing, so after a few minor reshoots TLJ will now surprise and delight audiences worldwide by working in plot points from audience favorites Fight Club and The Sixth Sense.

So split personalities and ghosts. Yep, definitely never seen those things in a Star Wars movie before.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 8, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

They work so hard to bring us fans the best.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Timby posted:

They were also heavily involved in the first two (brilliant) seasons of How I Met Your Mother, the first of which ends on an absolutely soul-crushing note.

I don't understand how a show called How I Met Your Mother goes on for more than one season. Like, wrap it up Dad. Get to the part about how you met mom. I don't have all day.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I think it all sounds very cool.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I hate this obsequiousness. I want a Studio Nazi. "Take my cinema universe or leave it!"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

There is going to be a climatic light sword fight.

They're going to fight about the weather?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Force Ghost thing has always been the lamest part of Star Wars

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Rey trips over a porg while training with luke and breaks her neck.

Starwar 8
Million Dollar Reyby

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

The Force Ghost thing has always been the lamest part of Star Wars

Are there any good parts?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

You ever notice how no one talks to Finn when Rey is in the room? :thunk:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

Are there any good parts?

...of the Force Ghost thing? Not really

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

...of the Force Ghost thing? Not really

No. Are there any good parts of Star Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nah

Yaws fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 8, 2017