Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bricked a kindle hd 7 (2012, tate) and am not looking to repeat the experience. Is it easier to root/install android to 2017 kindle hds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

inferis posted:

What's the best 8" windows tablet? I saw one post earlier in the thread that said the hi8 pro broke on them in three weeks and that one looked like the best option
Xiaomi Mipad 2 Z8500 should be good, the 8" Nuvision is also looking great for the price especially: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXhoTGKx4LU

No personal experience with either of these though. But I've been using my Cube Mix for about a month and now also have a stylus so I'll post a short summary soon.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Can the mipad run windows? I thought that was android only.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but it seems to be the Pad 2 only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ijoh_ZNMDk, P3 seems to be android only and since it uses a Mediatek SOC that's how it will stay unless they come up with different hardware altogether.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Besides the fire hd, are there any other good and cheep tablets?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
There's a local used electronics store with an i7 Surface Pro 3, and I have some questions:

-Can you still get the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10? I've heard of people getting it well after the stated expiration date of Microsoft's original upgrade offer, but it's been a while.

-Is 4GB of RAM enough for streaming HD video and playing Flash games?

-What's the battery life of the SP3 like when playing video?

-How hard is it to replace the battery?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cockmaster posted:

There's a local used electronics store with an i7 Surface Pro 3, and I have some questions:

-Can you still get the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10? I've heard of people getting it well after the stated expiration date of Microsoft's original upgrade offer, but it's been a while.

-Is 4GB of RAM enough for streaming HD video and playing Flash games?

-What's the battery life of the SP3 like when playing video?

-How hard is it to replace the battery?

Free upgrade should still be possible but you'll need to manually get the installation started. Microsoft is saying they're really going to turn off upgrades soon but they said they'd turn it off last year too.

4gb RAM is plenty for those use cases. I'm not sure if they actually offered any i7 models with that much RAM though, 4gb is only i3 and some i5s if I remember right. Double check to make sure you're not being overcharged for i7.

Battery life is unpredictable because it varies heavily on what apps you having running, desktop apps tend to be hungry and never sleep while the Store apps will be much more frugal. It's also a used device so no telling what condition the battery is in. A conservative guess is three hours of video?

The battery is not replaceable. Even a professional repair shop doesn't want to open up a Surface, they're not designed for servicing. It's the price you pay for the slimmest form factor.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Kindle Fire HD 10 is $100 right now, $115 without special offers. I finally came to terms with the fact that there will be no new Nexus 7, and bit the bullet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Just got the Cube Mix. First thing's first: gently caress, it doesn't work with my existing Wacom pen. I guess I'll have to get a new one after all. Supposedly the Cube stylus isn't that great so I'll see if I could get a different EMR compatible one.

Second: fuuuuck, it won't charge from the included AC adapter! I'm an idiot and was sticking it in the absolutely identical headphone jack.

It's small, but not as small as I visualized myself. Certainly doesn't blow your mind the way the Yoga Book does the first time you see it. 16:9 feels wrong but in practice it's not too bad because you can actually multitask and put two windows side by side easily. The 1080p resolution is fine, it looks pretty sharp on this size and doesn't require scaling. Imo worth the tradeoff for extra battery life. It's not fully laminated but the gap isn't large enough to bother me and the panel looks good overall. Bezels could've been smaller.

This has been pointed out in reviews, but the keyboard is heavy. Feels really very solid, like you could literally murder someone with it. Surprisingly decent to type on (not Thinkpad level but still), and the trackpad is... a trackpad, wish it had a trackpoint but there's no such beast in existence. Again, thinkpad complaint but it doesn't open quite far enough. In general, build quality feels pretty good. There just seems to be a place in the mod of the plastic antenna insert for an SD or maybe sim slot, and you can see the outline even though it's not actually there. Not exactly ipad but whatever.

Anyway, I'll try using it for a while and post an update once I have a chance to actually try the stylus.
All right, took me a while go get a compatible stylus and use it for a while. The good news is that it works pretty drat well with a Fujitsu Lifebook two button stylus, probably even better than the original Cube one that some reviewers mention requires a bit too much pressure. It goes right up to the edge though there's some wonkiness in the top corners, and a bit of distortion at the bottom near the magnets. Might be solvable with calibration or new drivers I've heard, but it doesn't bother me too much for doodling or taking notes. Pressure is smooth but I had to screw around with the curve to make the minimum and maximum values a bit easier to draw.

Both cameras are garbage unsurprisingly, but I don't care. The front one is ok for skype if there's enough light. Wireless AC maxes out at 120Mbps in the same room (which might be limited by the router) and bluetooth works well for audio and mouse. I bit of a bummer that it doesn't have GPS though.

Performance is great until it bumps into either thermal or power limit throttling - the former is due to a lack of thermal conductivity between the CPU heatsink and the case, and can be fixed with a thermal pad. The latter is adjustable in BIOS/XTU and you can basically make it run at 15W full time with sufficient cooling. It actually runs Crysis and Dolphin at full speed at native resolution. Civ at lower to medium settings and the South Park game are fine too. Quake 3 runs at like 200fps :v:. With the high turbo boost speeds it's very responsive in Photoshop and Lightroom as well, I used it to process these 18MP RAW files.

I haven't measured battery life properly but it's obviously going to be crap when running full tilt like that, but in normal use - browsing, typing stuff, video, I think 7-8 hours might be doable, which is ok for me. Overall I'm very happy with it, for ~$260 there's basically nothing comparable at all. I can take this travelling without worrying too much about destroying it, but also get decent performance for editing photos on the go, read books or play games in free time. It boots Kali linux fine too so I can get free wifi as well. That said, there are a few things they could do to greatly improve it without a big impact on cost:
  • A 16:10 or 3:2 screen.
  • Smaller bezels - it just barely doesn't fit into my badass surplus map case because of them and it makes me mad. There's plenty of empty space there, see photo below
  • Thinner - there's probably 1mm to gain by laminating the screen, maybe 0.5-1 in the back case
  • Lighter - it's as heavy as the 12" Surface Pro 4, reducing the bezels would help. This would also allow a lighter keyboard
  • Better cooling - just put a 5 cent thermal pad there so I don't have to open it myself
Essentially this would make it an x86 ipad pro.

Using it for a while and seeing the Yoga Book in person also got me thinking more about the form-factor in general. I think this is a good solution for 2-in-1s and I prefer it to the floppy typing covers that my colleagues look super awkward using, but the keyboard is of course necessarily thicker and heavier (but not by as much as you'd think, the surface is about 300g and this is 600g and could be easily reduced). That said, for someone who'd use it at least 50% as a tiny laptop, I think the Yoga approach might be better.

The Yoga Book is just nuts, though it's partially because it's Atom based and doesn't have a physical keyboard. Still, by placing all the guts in the keyboard part, which needs to be heavier anyway, the screen can be super skinny and thus not contribute much extra to the overall size. Allow a few mm for the keyboard and that should do it. I think the Macbook also shows that it's pretty much possible, and in another generation or two I might get a Yoga Book with a strong CPU and a physical keyboard instead of the gimmick, which is what I think I really want.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why are the amazon fire hd tablets so cheap I'm tempted to buy one despite not needing it. is the awful app on it?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yes but sometimes I forget that very fact.
I heard you can install the play store relatively easy though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jose posted:

Why are the amazon fire hd tablets so cheap I'm tempted to buy one despite not needing it. is the awful app on it?

They sell 'em at cost to sucker you into the Amazon media ecosystem, but they're not locked down and you can just install the Google Play Store on them and turn them into a regular Android tablet instead.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My old Kindle Fire HD 7 needed root to get the Play store on it and stuff was kinda glitchy and difficult to update.

Just how much easier is it to make a Fire HD 10 "normal?" It's more important that my device works every day without tinkering than to save the cash and struggle with rooting and patching.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Assuming this also works on the HD10, it's pretty simple, doesn't require rooting, and should update itself as normal.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Assuming this also works on the HD10, it's pretty simple, doesn't require rooting, and should update itself as normal.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Bought an HD 10 for my mom and was able to get the Google Play store on it following that very page - 5-10 mins tops.

***That article doesn't mention it, but there's a bug where the "install" button for the google APK files will be grayed out at first. Put the tablet in sleep, and wake it back up. Button now orange and clickable.****

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’m looking for a cheap Android (I don’t want to have to do software surgery on a Fire) tablet to keep in my kitchen to display recipes. CPU can be garbage, screen quality can be low, all I care about is syncing bookmarks with Chrome, water resistance, and a stand. Is there a cyber Monday deal for something like that?

e: Never mind, the Fire 7 is so cheap that it seems nuts not to just get Chrome going on that.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 27, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got the Fire HD 8. It's good enough for anything you'd probably use a tablet for. Streaming stuff ain't no problem, certainly browsing reddit/SA is great.

If you try to dig deeper you're gonna have problems. For example, swapping the launcher with something not poo poo is pretty much undoable (more on that in a bit). You can't reliably downgrade the OS version, and the most recent version has explicitly blocked old exploits and rooting. So you can't use any ADB commands to disable/delete the native apps.

You can get the ads on the lockscreen disabled for free by just contacting Amazon, and being like "i want to see my wallpaper and not some obtrusive ads on the lockscreen" and it works. I can post a chat transcript (probably) where I literally said only like 4 things and he unlocked it. I don't understand why.

Important: Launcher shenanigans. The standard launcher that comes with it is uninstallable, unchangeable, and undeletable. If you attempt to go through ADB and use a normal disable/uninstall command it'll just say no. A hide command also doesn't work. There is also no option to set a default "home app" like a normal android device. That being said, there is a hack-y workaround. The home button will always call in the standard Fire Launcher and there's no changing it through the settings. But there is an APK called LauncherHijack v3 that will remap the home button to use the desired launcher. But when you hit the home button, it'll still call in the Fire Launcher for about .1 second and then go away. But otherwise it's fully functional.

If you don't want to use your own launcher, honestly it's fine. But it's RAM-heavy and skips a bit because it loads in a fuckton of content for the 10+ tabs to the right for music, movies, news, etc.

Installing Google Play store is incredibly easy, so it can DO everything a normal Android tablet would do. For example I'm posting from it right now!

All in all, not bad for $80 and I'm happy with it for couch-browsing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I thought maybe the stories of converting it to a standard tablet with ease may have been over simplified.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i got one of those $50 kindle fire hd in the sale and installing google play store took all of tapping four links and restarting, i like it enough to watch videos on my lunch break but man is that screen lovely

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I thought maybe the stories of converting it to a standard tablet with ease may have been over simplified.

At least getting the google play apps was easy. The rest of it is a different story.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Please help.

quote:

"Oh Adolf, you know about [insert electronic item here] recommend me an x for my y please.

I'm currently trying to guess what sort of phone some relative I've never met would like/need/want
A laptiop for an aquaintenance , who's 90 years old.
A laptop for my kid (that one I don't mind, and is easy)
A million questions about Kodi (stock answer is now "gently caress off")

I have made a real effort to dodge these in recent years. Often between a "nope", and a "gently caress off".
It's a lot more work that people realise, and as soon as they see some oval office on The Gadget Show, or Which magazine disagree, they ignore my advice. Or worse, buy it, and moan every time it doesn't work perfectly and develops some vague intermittent fault. Many, many of you know this poo poo, I know

And finally a tablet for my Mum. I'm ok with this in principle, but I don't have much of a clue about tablets and have never owend one, despite being the master of all gadget/tech/IT/WiFi allegedly.
She curretly has a Nexus 7, which is "getting slow" and is defiyitely on the small side

My god, there's so many. I have managed to whittle it down a bit. Maybe some of you can help.

Nay -
  • No Amazon things please. Too restricted
  • No Apple. Too expensive
  • No cheapo Chinese off Amazon (Dad is sceptical of off-brands)

Yay -
  • 10" (or 9" even)
  • Still high res/dpi though as I've seen a cheap 10" one with what looked to a 720p panel stretched to gently caress. Big, but pug ugly
  • Android 7 minimum (are there 8 ones out, I couldnt see any) and a manufacturor who has decent rep at updating
  • As close to stock as possible. She's had the Nexus 7 since it came out and has kind of learned the basics, if I get some heavily skinned thing, she'll be lost
  • £200-£250 (yeah UK peeps)

Any ideas? I've got about 10 tabs open with stores and retailers filtered down as much as possible, but there's still dozens

Anyone bought a rad 10" stock-ish tablet with a nice screen lately?

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 2, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

I'm currently trying to guess what sort of phone some relative I've never met would like/need/want

Phones are easy nowadays because it's one of three choices - iPhone if they'd do better in the Apple handholding system, Moto G5S+ for low-mid-range-price good-quality not-hosed-up Android, or Pixel for high-price not-hosed-up Android, so a few simple questions should narrow that down.

Adolf Glitter posted:

And finally a tablet for my Mum. I'm ok with this in principle, but I don't have much of a clue about tablets and have never owend one, despite being the master of all gadget/tech/IT/WiFi allegedly.

Lenovo Tab 4 10? Android 7.1 and decent. Although that's only 1280x800 screen, so probably not, although it's a decent IPS. But you're fairly limited in the 'cheapish 10 inch non-knockoff-brand quality android tablets" space. And by fairly I mean incredibly. Maybe a ZenPad.

There's an Android tablet thread somewhere around, but it's basically 100% these days "buy an Amazon Fire for half the price of any equally-specced tablet and just put Play Store and Nova Launcher on it."

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 2, 2017

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Phones are easy nowadays because it's one of three choices - iPhone if they'd do better in the Apple handholding system, Moto G5S+ for low-mid-range-price good-quality not-hosed-up Android, or Pixel for high-price not-hosed-up Android, so a few simple questions should narrow that down.

Lenovo Tab 4 10? Android 7.1 and decent. Although that's only 1280x800 screen, so probably not, although it's a decent IPS. But you're fairly limited in the 'cheapish 10 inch non-knockoff-brand quality android tablets" space. And by fairly I mean incredibly. Maybe a ZenPad.

There's an Android tablet thread somewhere around, but it's basically 100% these days "buy an Amazon Fire for half the price of any equally-specced tablet and just put Play Store and Nova Launcher on it."

Yeah with phones I do almost exactly what you say, haha. That's uncanny

I'm loath to go Amazon. I used to work for them and hate them with a passion. Cunts.
Also, the first time a launcher decides to not be default my Mum's head will explode. I have Nova on my Moto, and love it but I know what to do on the very odd occasion it goes to it's default launcher. Or asks what one to pick. gently caress all for the likes of us, but looks like a cyber attack to my Mum. Maybe I should bite the bullet regarding my pride, and spend a few hours training my mother on how to select a launcher, idk.
(Thanks for pointing it out, I'll crosspost it in there in a bit)

The Zenpads do seem to be on all the lists I've filtered down, I'll have to have a dig through some reviews and see what's what.

Thanks for the pointers. Any additional ideas are welcome . I've told my Dad "the internet" is looking into it for me which he thinks is cool

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 2, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

Yeah with phones I do almost exactly what you say, haha. That's uncanny

Eh, "Moto G series or Pixel depending on price" has been the repeatedly-proven-wise standard mantra of the Android thread for about a year now, it's surprisingly clear.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Adolf Glitter posted:

Please help.

Nay -
[list]
[*]No Amazon things please. Too restricted
[*]No Apple. Too expensive
[*]No cheapo Chinese off Amazon (Dad is sceptical of off-brands)
[list]

Any ideas? I've got about 10 tabs open with stores and retailers filtered down as much as possible, but there's still dozens

2017 iPad is the best cheap tablet by a long shot at $250, and it is 9.7 inches

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lube banjo posted:

2017 iPad is the best cheap tablet by a long shot at $250, and it is 9.7 inches

It's £340 which is too expensive

Even if it was £250 She'd have no desire to learn a new OS.
It's taken 3 years for the basics of Android to bed into her 70 year old brain

-e-
I've taken this over to the android tablet thread that was pointed out to me, as ipads, and surfaces are out of the mox so it's really more suited to that thread

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 2, 2017

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
How well does the iPad (or any other tablet) work for watching tv etc when you're chilling in bed and don't want to hold it up or support it in your lap?

My wife does a lot of knitting in bed, and watches netflix etc while she knits. Right now, she's watching it on an old macbook; I'm thinking about getting her an upgrade to a tablet with a better wifi chip than the one in her laptop, but I'm concerned that it won't be as usable for her standard case, which is having the laptop sit open while her hands are occupied with the needles and her lap is occupied with whatever project she's working on.

If I get her a tablet, is there a case that works well to prop it up on soft surfaces that shift under it, like a mattress? Which tablet/case combo should I be thinking about?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there are cases like that for pretty much any tablet. I have one for my Cube Mix and it works OK, but to be honest its way more stable when in the proper keyboard dock (see previous post here) plus it's way easier to type in e.g. a search or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Coca Koala posted:

How well does the iPad (or any other tablet) work for watching tv etc when you're chilling in bed and don't want to hold it up or support it in your lap?

My wife does a lot of knitting in bed, and watches netflix etc while she knits. Right now, she's watching it on an old macbook; I'm thinking about getting her an upgrade to a tablet with a better wifi chip than the one in her laptop, but I'm concerned that it won't be as usable for her standard case, which is having the laptop sit open while her hands are occupied with the needles and her lap is occupied with whatever project she's working on.

If I get her a tablet, is there a case that works well to prop it up on soft surfaces that shift under it, like a mattress? Which tablet/case combo should I be thinking about?

The good tablets don't have stands for whatever reason, excepting the Surface Pro. You'll need to get a case for that unless you're good at using your knees/comforters to support it.

A tablet is 100% perfect for your wife's use case and really any tablet will be great for Netflix. Any iPad that isn't the $249 one would be (in my opinion) a waste of money here though.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

jokes posted:

Installing Google Play store is incredibly easy, so it can DO everything a normal Android tablet would do. For example I'm posting from it right now!

How does one do this? I got a 10 and tried following the instructions at https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/, but it wouldn't install the very first APK, saying it couldn't parse it.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Roommate is bad at computers - watching him try to type is painful. He has aging Dell laptop that is finally dying. He does nothing with it but Netflix/Amazon Prime/Google Play Music/iTunes Podcasts/Porn. Roommate also has a Roku Smart TV and an iPhone. Sometimes he checks his email, but I have never seen him write one. Would a full-size iPad (maybe an Air or Air 2) be a good Christmas present/laptop replacement for him?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Definitely don't get an Air 1. They likely won't be getting the next iOS, and the 2017 iPad is probably not a whole lot more. And Air 2 is still okay.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Definitely don't get an Air 1. They likely won't be getting the next iOS, and the 2017 iPad is probably not a whole lot more. And Air 2 is still okay.

Any real point of picking up a 2017 over an Air 2?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It'll almost certainly be supported longer. The Air 2 is already three years old, and using hardware similar to an iPhone 6, so it may only have one more update and then following year of support left.

Also it looks like you can get a brand new 2017 for cheaper than a refurbished Air 2. (32 GB 2017s are on sale at Best Buy for $279. Refurbished 16 GB Airs 2 are $319 from Apple.)

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FreelanceSocialist posted:

Any real point of picking up a 2017 over an Air 2?

A9 is about 30% faster than the A8X the Air 2 has. And longer battery life

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I have a 2017 iPad as my only Apple device and can confirm it owns. The battery life is unbelievably good.

My mom has an Android phone, Windows PC, and trouble adapting to new technology and she also loves her 2017 iPad.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
My brother is currently looking for an affordable tablet for websites, pdfs, comics, videos and displaying sheet music (not professionally).
He has a few Android apps he would like to keep, so he prefers an Android device. I still recommended him to have a look at the 2017 iPad, too.

Aldi in Germany is currently offering a 10-inc h Android device, the Medion LifeTab P10602. Specs are

Android 7.1
10 inch 16:10 1920x1200 IPS panel with 97.5% colour accuracy and 352cd/m2 maximum brightness.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 430
2 GB RAM
32 GB Flash storage + microSD-slot
LTE Modem
13.5 hours battery life

For ~210€ this sounds like an insanely good deal. I told him the 2GB RAM might be a bit small and micro-USB charging ports are much more fragile than USB-C or Lightning. Would you trust this over a 32GB iPad 2017, which costs about 100-120€ more?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Trust it in what sense?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
To be the better choice over an iPad :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would trust a 2017 iPad to be way more than 50% better than that