Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I assume Mr.Pants meant "they're too cheap". Lots of people are pushed out of Portland due to obscene housing costs but Vancoverites tend to be a breed more in the tax cheats vein.

If you work in Oregon you still have to pay state income tax, so I am not sure how you think they are getting out of taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Nobody works in Portland.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Vancouver is kind of a weird mix right now where you have: 1. rich suburbanites using it as a tax shelter, 2. the working class population that skews right-wing/Trump, and 3. more recently transplants from Portland forced out by rental prices. Basically, it is all of the above and it depends on what neighborhoods you are talking about.

That said, even with the gentrifying going on in Portland it is going to be a long time when "the couv" flips.

Also, the commute on the i-5 is a nightmare and they really should have at least build the light rail line. A lot of it is also that fundamentally I don't think Portland was ever prepared to be a "big city" the infrastructure in it honestly just it too half assed to make it work without a massive headache.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 30, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Vancouver is kind of a weird mix right now where you have: 1. rich suburbanites using it as a tax shelter, 2. the working class population that skews right-wing/Trump, and 3. more recently transplants from Portland forced out by rental prices. Basically, it is all of the above and it depends on what neighborhoods you are talking about.

That said, even with the gentrifying going on in Portland it is going to be a long time when "the couv" flips.

Also, the commute on the i-5 is a nightmare and they really should have at least build the light rail line. A lot of it is also that fundamentally I don't think Portland was ever prepared to be a "big city" the infrastructure in it honestly just it too half assed to make it work without a massive headache.

I don't think Portland wants to pay for infrastructure going into Washington, and I know I don't want to pay for poo poo for Vancouver.

If Vancouver wants light rail or roads, they should pay for it. Ideally through tolling.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

I don't think Portland wants to pay for infrastructure going into Washington, and I know I don't want to pay for poo poo for Vancouver.

If Vancouver wants light rail or roads, they should pay for it. Ideally through tolling.

Yeah, Vancouverites did screw themselves. Granted, even in Oregon, no one really wants to pay for infrastructure either and it kind of shows.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Thanatosian posted:

They don't want it. But Portland wants them to have it.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Everyone should have it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Vancouverites did screw themselves. Granted, even in Oregon, no one really wants to pay for infrastructure either and it kind of shows.

Nobody in Oregon wants to pay for anything. What got CRC tanked was actually WA state politics though. It would be like you asked people from Portland to pay for a bridge in Medford that was unpopular in Medford to begin with.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Except the tl;dr is Portland voted yes, the Fed DOT had earmarked $1.5bn to match the State's contributions and Washington shot back with a proposal that didn't include light rail because "undesirables" might use it... Oops we forgot to CC the USCG and shucks guess that project is cancelled :shrug:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Presented without comment:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Amazing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

6000 sq ft lot? You could shove 2, maybe 3 houses on there! Money making opportunity.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

seiferguy posted:

Hash oil explosion?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

seiferguy posted:

Well yes, because the land is valuable even if the burnt out house is not.

Peachfart posted:

6000 sq ft lot? You could shove 2, maybe 3 houses on there! Money making opportunity.
That'd be unironically great, absolutely. The less economic segregation the better, I'd say. Allowing more/smaller homes means it's harder to exclude the poor and working-class from neighborhoods.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Nice, walking distance to the Beacon Hill light rail station and very close to Rainier Ave and the I-90 on-ramps. It'd probably be $850k if the house wasn't burned out.

George
Nov 27, 2004

We should probably be burning more buildings down IMO.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chadderbox posted:

Nice, walking distance to the Beacon Hill light rail station and very close to Rainier Ave and the I-90 on-ramps. It'd probably be $850k if the house wasn't burned out.

Someone in the Seattle thread told me there was no way a 3600 SQ ft house would sell for $850k in that spot.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Someone in the Seattle thread told me there was no way a 3600 SQ ft house would sell for $850k in that spot.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/48737420_zpid/globalrelevanceex_sort/47.594429,-122.291157,47.57573,-122.328064_rect/14_zm/

Here's a 2040sq ft house for sale 2 blocks away for $698k. Same size lot. Putting lot size aside the only homes I can find above 3500sq ft within a few miles of that area all start at $1.5 million and go up from there.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

People don't understand that housing prices in Seattle go up like crazy each year, and this goes doubly for larger lots or apartments with 2+ bedrooms.
Hell, my garbage house in 'downtown' Lynnwood would probably go for 450k with multiple cash offers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Wait is 6k sq. ft considered a larger lot up there? Are you figuring anything over a tenth of a acre is large or what?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It makes your head spin how fast these prices are going up. Normal houses in Shoreline jumped from 350k ish to 500k ish in such a small amount of time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah the lot around the corner from me sold for 500k then they immediately tore down the house, split the lot in two and built two free standing homes for $1m each.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

therobit posted:

Wait is 6k sq. ft considered a larger lot up there? Are you figuring anything over a tenth of a acre is large or what?

Yea, most of Seattle is zoned for 5,000SF lots and there has been A LOT of infill on larger lots that have been short platted.
It's hard to tell because SDCI is bad at colors but here's a link to zoning map of the city.
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Research/gis/webplots/smallzonemap.pdf

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It isn't just seattle either. Parts of south everett/mill creek have bounced back from the sub-prime mortgage crisis and then some. I've talked to some real estate agents about it and nobody knows why it's so hot.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

It isn't just seattle either. Parts of south everett/mill creek have bounced back from the sub-prime mortgage crisis and then some. I've talked to some real estate agents about it and nobody knows why it's so hot.

Because the low end is completely bought out by developers with cash offers. Gotta live somewhere, hope to roll the dice on a mortgage at 3/4 my income!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Freakazoid_ posted:

Everybody knows. People are moving here faster than housing is being built, and PNW real estate is a safe place to park money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Everybody knows. People are moving here faster than housing is being built, and PNW real estate is a safe place to park money.

What we need is to tear down single-family housing, build townhomes, rowhouses, and multiplexes, start taxing non-owner-occupied housing, and start taxing real estate investment. Part of the problem is simple supply and demand, but another (very big) part is the commoditization of housing; housing's primary purpose should be providing shelter, not providing money to rich assholes.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

What we need is to tear down single-family housing, build townhomes, rowhouses, and multiplexes, start taxing non-owner-occupied housing, and start taxing real estate investment. Part of the problem is simple supply and demand, but another (very big) part is the commoditization of housing; housing's primary purpose should be providing shelter, not providing money to rich assholes.

I don't disagree, at all. But it is far easier to build more homes than it is to change how housing works.
So we should do the first, and work towards the second.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Agreed (and keeping zoning low density just provides more money to those rich assholes anyway). I'd be cool with Vienna-style public housing, fat chance of that succeeding short of the democrats taking all of Congress and Sanders/Warren as president though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cicero posted:

Well yes, because the land is valuable even if the burnt out house is not.

That'd be unironically great, absolutely. The less economic segregation the better, I'd say. Allowing more/smaller homes means it's harder to exclude the poor and working-class from neighborhoods.

haha oh man thats a great joke.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 7, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Not only would it help reduce economic segregation, it would help make the area more transit-friendly too. Win-win!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The problem with housing, as with 401ks, is that they're the only way to build up enough wealth to be mildly secure so everyone pursues those paths though the vast majority us are hosed over into poverty in the process. I'm not sure how we decouple housing from investment in a way that wouldn't totally devastate the economy. Outside of New Deal like direct action by the federal government.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The problem with housing, as with 401ks, is that they're the only way to build up enough wealth to be mildly secure so everyone pursues those paths though the vast majority us are hosed over into poverty in the process. I'm not sure how we decouple housing from investment in a way that wouldn't totally devastate the economy. Outside of New Deal like direct action by the federal government.
1. Some kind of federal push/mandate for saner housing policies. Looser zoning, public housing, etc.

2. A national pension that works on top of social security that individuals and employers can contribute to. You pay in X dollars, you get Y benefits when retirement age comes around. A simple, safe thing available to everyone with no gimmicks or scamminess.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Thanatosian posted:

:lol: that you think WA right wingers will ever allow the Crime Train™ to bring filthy poors across the river

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Cicero posted:

Not only would it help reduce economic segregation, it would help make the area more transit-friendly too. Win-win!

Unless the people who live in those tiny garage-less houses buy cars anyways and then piss and moan about parking to anyone who will listen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don't worry someday the north west will have as many people as the north east. Then Portland and Vancouver can both be commute by rail communities for Seattle.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

So Portland Public Schools is closing the Pioneer School for high needs special ed kids so they have a place to put the Access Academy Talented and Gifted program. This is after they tried to clos a poor, black neighborhood school to put Access Academy there, but got too much pushback from the community. Seems like they can't take a hint.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It seems the new building is something our new PPS Superintendent is pushing hard for right out of the gate. He doesn't even do us the courtesy of making his argument before the community first. This stuff is especially stupid because gifted kids by their nature are a lot more easily separated into classrooms within already existing Portland schools than special needs kids who require a lot more infrastructure and human capital.

In other Portland news, Kurt Kreger got pushed out as head of the housing bureau. Considering how near and dear the issue of housing is to me, not least because of the rent I pay on my poo poo hole, I know very little about the guy. He runs a real estate company in Vancouver which struck me as sort of a conflict of interest but otherwise I got nothing. Anyone have an idea why Wheeler wanted him gone?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Cuz followup is always fun, remember when everyone got all mad about WSP going after left lane campers? Some people were like, "that's racist" because police are tools of oppression, others claimed that left lane campers were annoying and violated state law and maybe impeded the flow of traffic. Well it was more than a PR campaign to reduce white fragility, as some here claimed, but rather an attempt to stem an epidemic of bad driving.

https://twitter.com/wspd7pio/status/938880799012556800

How does this seemingly innocuous story about moving violations trigger you? Were you right all along? Can you find a way to make this story fit your political/economic narrative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

You can't fight a war on bad driving without going after demand. And the simple fact is that people want to drive poorly. You can't stop them.

The driver's test should not be pass/fail. It should be a skills competition, timed, and only the top 50% should pass. When you do pass, they should hand you a set of leather gloves and aviators.