Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

fruit on the bottom posted:

Has that even been brought up in the movies at all?

Are you asking me if Magneto being Jewish is brought up in the movies, or Kitty? Because if it's the first... yes. That's brought up a lot.

Ojjeorago posted:

So your argument is they should have replaced Wolverine with Kitty because Magneto is too Jewish?

What? Wolverine replaced her. And I'm saying that Kitty getting focus would be nice because the only Jewish-identified character is a villain. How does that even suggest that I'm saying Magneto is "too Jewish?" I'm saying that the only representative of a minority in a story turning out to be a villain is usually something that should be mitigated.

And again, I'm not even saying Logan shouldn't be in the movie. I've said the exact opposite multiple times.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

The cartoon.

Seriously, Rogue was one of the most prominent members on the 90's show which was a lot of people's first exposure to the X-men. Not to mention she was one of the most powerful members of the team.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Spacebump posted:

In this season she does a crossover with young Bruce Wayne from Gotham and the Arrowverse. The writers are considering having Dan join the Legends.

I heard that she and Dan win the lottery then Dan becomes Bruce Wayne/Batman and tries to murder Superman but it turns out to all be a dream.

My issue with a Dark Phoenix saga is that I'm afraid it'll suffer from BvS syndrome and not build to it properly or provide any stakes. I suppose you could go with the hand waving "everyone knows who all these X-men are/who needs origins and set up?" approach but without that I could see it being a big old mess.

How do you tell that whole loving story in 180 minutes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well the entire Hellfire Club part would be gone so that saves some time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The cartoon.

Nah, I think before that she got popular when Jim Lee started drawing her half-naked for the Savage Land arc. Then he gave her an awesome costume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, I think before that she got popular when Jim Lee started drawing her half-naked for the Savage Land arc. Then he gave her an awesome costume.

Well that's going to depend on age.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also, wait. X-Men: First Class sucks now? I've only seen it once but I recall liking it well enough and it seemed like most folks enjoyed it.

Does it blow?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I watched it once and was like "Man, a good X-Men movie! That was nice."

I watched it again in recent years and no, it's....super duper loving bad. It has good scenes and sequences, especially whenever Charles or Erik are doing stuff, but a a constructed film it's so, so bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I watched it once and was like "Man, a good X-Men movie! That was nice."

I watched it again in recent years and no, it's....super duper loving bad. It has good scenes and sequences, especially whenever Charles or Erik are doing stuff, but a a constructed film it's so, so bad.

It wasn't an all time great, but it was pretty good and built up a lot of stuff that got used well in DofP.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
First Class has the scene where Shaw kills Darwin which is most certainly one of the worst superhero movie scenes in the past decade or so. I don't remember disliking the movie, but there is some part of my brain that has steered me away from ever watching it again. Basically how I feel about Justice League and Thor 2.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, wait. X-Men: First Class sucks now? I've only seen it once but I recall liking it well enough and it seemed like most folks enjoyed it.

Does it blow?

I feel like a lot of people basically take young Charles and Erik for granted (or actively got sick of them later).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

zoux posted:

Does Singer have anything to do with this because I heard he's out at Fox

The White Walkers won't stand a chance against Sansa now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BiggerBoat posted:

Does it blow?

You have to remember it in context. The previous X-Men movies, X-Men 3 and Origins: Wolverine, were both so garbage that when First Class came out people were glad to watch a decent X-Men movie again. It hasn't aged well with Marvel running circles around Fox and WB though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m asking about Kitty. Do either of you actually think that I was asking whether or not the character we meet in loving concentration camp was Jewish?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Then no, it's never brought up in the movies.

It is however an important part of her background in the comics.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
So how do you introduce that without it seem forced or included in what would look like a hamfisted way to contrast her with Magneto in the space of a film with so much else going on?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well ideally X-Men would have bothered using its supporting cast better several movies ago and Kitty's only appearance wouldn't have been to serve as a way of upsetting Rouge and Iceman's relationship and we could have actually seen her background, for one.

But I don't know, as for the movie itself, maybe a scene where we get some context for all the stuff that's happening in the future timeline and a reason to care about it where the survivors talk about their families and background before rushing to Wolverinewolverinewolverine? Kitty discusses her life with Logan when they've gone back in time because a more peaceful time has made her nostalgic for everything she's lost?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It seems like you’re really looking for a different movie than what DoFP was trying to be though. Even Wolverine is really just a plot device to get the Past Characters moving. I don’t see Movie!Kitty as having much to contribute to that particular story.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, yes, I mean, I've made no secret of what I think about other aspects of the movie. None of these problems are independent of one another. I've mentioned multiple issues with what "the movie was trying to be" and Kitty was what people zeroed in on like it was the whole of the argument.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Eh, alright then. I thought the movie was good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They introduced Kitty in the comics by having her casually wearing a Star of David without commenting on it. They don't have to have a scene dedicated to establishing that she is Jewish when they can just do it through costume design and characterization.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Roth posted:

They introduced Kitty in the comics by having her casually wearing a Star of David without commenting on it. They don't have to have a scene dedicated to establishing that she is Jewish when they can just do it through costume design and characterization.

Yeah, but that's different than just suddenly introducing that in her fourth movie.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Pretty sure/hopeful that when Disney reboots X-Men they will completely reboot it with a new cast and reset the storyline & history. No need for all that baggage, and even better it gives them a way to get rid of some of both the horrible cast (eg Sophie Turner) and those that clearly cannot be arsed anymore (Lawrence).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Roth posted:

Pfft, far too subtle. They should have done a Northstar and dramatically megapose freeze frame her as she randomly blurts it out in a completely unconnected to the moment fashion.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, all of this is happening so comparatively fast that it really hasn't sunk in for me yet that...this is happening. This is [99.9999%] gonna happen. FF and X-Men are gonna [almost definitely in all likelihood] be in the MCU proper. If the world doesn't end in the next three or four years (which is...also quite likely, to be fair), we are gonna see those things crossing over with the Avengers and Spider-Man and they're gonna do full-on purple giant man Galactus and Dr. Doom will meet Dr. Strange and the Maximoffs are probably gonna be Magneto's kids again and all that shiz.

I knew it would probably happen in our lifetimes, but this soon?...just...I really hadn't counted on the media landscape changing so much that 20th Century Fox would voluntarily want to sell off half of itself, and that Disney would be so rich and powerful that it could honestly just get whatever the frick it wants if it wants them.

These are wild times. Change is really ever the only constant.

:sterv:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BrianWilly posted:

I knew it would probably happen in our lifetimes, but this soon?...just...I really hadn't counted on the media landscape changing so much that 20th Century Fox would voluntarily want to sell off half of itself, and that Disney would be so rich and powerful that it could honestly just get whatever the frick it wants if it wants them.

These are wild times. Change is really ever the only constant.

:sterv:

Why is the old bastard seemingly having a fire sale anyway? What could he possibly need the money for, he's wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice, has fingers in every pie and is basically a cancerous spider sitting at the heart of western media on both sides of the Atlantic, what's prompted all this?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know, I just realised, if this merger goes through, they could easily do X-23: Target X. They have Cap (although, considering the role he played in that story -
which took place before the Winter Soldier was a thing, his role might be better played by Tony), they have Daredevil, and Dafne Keen's about the right age for X-23 in that story.

Maybe retcon it so The Facility is a Hydra thing. Would explain why Canada had a secret mutant weaponisation program.

Oh, and then borrow from Ultimate Spider-Man and have her move into Aunt May's Home For Wayward Teen Superheroes instead of the whole NYX...problem area.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sentinel Red posted:

Why is the old bastard seemingly having a fire sale anyway? What could he possibly need the money for, he's wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice, has fingers in every pie and is basically a cancerous spider sitting at the heart of western media on both sides of the Atlantic, what's prompted all this?

Hey, propping up Theresa May's government and funding a media empire dedicated to convincing people that Brexit is a good thing isn't cheap.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sentinel Red posted:

I've watched a couple Youtube vids that attempt to explain this...kinda complicated...state of affairs, and this one probably does the best job at it. From what I can understand, it seems to boil down to Fox not being quite big enough to keep pace with the onset of streaming services and digital networks in the way that Disney, WB, and Universal can.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Hey, propping up Theresa May's government and funding a media empire dedicated to convincing people that Brexit is a good thing isn't cheap.

Tony Benn probably would've done it for nothing if he was still alive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Man, all of this is happening so comparatively fast that it really hasn't sunk in for me yet that...this is happening. This is [99.9999%] gonna happen. FF and X-Men are gonna [almost definitely in all likelihood] be in the MCU proper. If the world doesn't end in the next three or four years (which is...also quite likely, to be fair), we are gonna see those things crossing over with the Avengers and Spider-Man and they're gonna do full-on purple giant man Galactus and Dr. Doom will meet Dr. Strange and the Maximoffs are probably gonna be Magneto's kids again and all that shiz.

Yeah, but I think it's eventually going to crush under its own weight, same as the comics do, to the point that the films eventually do a "No more mutants" or Earth 1 and Earth 2 sort of thing. I like the crossovers for the most part but at a certain point it just gets too busy, especially when the different power sets and levels become too disparate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fox doesn't actually have the Fantastic Four rights, who knows how that will actually work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the Singer shoe finally dropped

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Can't wait for Dirty Kids and a Puppet: The Movie

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Magik wasn't ever in a hell dimension she's just that weird girl that always carries around a grubby dragon puppet.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You better not be dissing X-men Veteran Lockheed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

To me, X-Men: First Class is two different movies that are sort of okay-ish edited together into one. It isn't horrible editing like Suicide Squad where there's like 5 different movies thrown into a blender all together. But you can tell that they obviously borrowed heavily from the originally proposed Magneto solo movie and integrated that into the "60s x-men movie". Charles/Erik's origin scenes are some of the best parts, whereas the scenes with the kids are largely forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The team is also just incredibly lame.

• Locked thread