Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TheFluff posted:

maybe this is just much funnier because i'm tired but i found this to be loving hysterical: give facebook's ~algorithm~ with all its intimate knowledge of people's behavior your full 170 million item product catalog, and it'll show your potential customers exactly what they want to buy, yes? i mean it can figure out if you're pregnant before you know it yourself can't it???

ahahaha no, it optimizes for clickbait, because of course it does

quote:

acebook’s algorithm is simply emphasising clicks far too much.
It turns out human attention is a trash metric. Who knew???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

blowfish posted:

It turns out human attention is a trash metric. Who knew???

The attention economy can do no wrong!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

karthun posted:

The attention economy can do no wrong!

imagine four marbles on the edge of an antisocial network

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
A little off-topic maybe but:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/434gqw/i-made-my-shed-the-top-rated-restaurant-on-tripadvisor posted:

With the help of fake reviews, mystique and nonsense, I was going to do it: turn my shed into London's top-rated restaurant on TripAdvisor.

And he does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does it have home made jam?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Artisanal sawdust.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/evilseanbot/status/938226348161605632

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Bitcoin went from 13k to 18765 in a matter of 3 hours today.

edit: now it's 19762

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 7, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
How. Why.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Moatman posted:

How. Why.

pump.dump.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Moatman posted:

How. Why.

There is a "token" called Tether which is traded at $1 US = 1 tether, because it's supposedly backed up by bank accounts containing $1 US for each token.

Two things: Tether has never passed an audit showing the owners have that much money. And as of the middle of November there were 560 million Tether issued, with about 50 million more being issued every week... does anyone really believe these people have over half a billion bucks sitting around to put into accounts for this?

But you can trade Tether for bitcoins at the same price as you'd trade USD, and someone's picking up all those Tether somehow, so the USD price follows.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
All this Bitcoin nonsense is boggling to me. I still remember the first round of this poo poo, how can anyone still take Bitcoin seriously after debacles like Mt.Gox? From the sounds of things, absolutely nothing has changes since then and none of the underlaying issues have been addressed. If anything it actually seems to have gotten WORSE!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

All this Bitcoin nonsense is boggling to me. I still remember the first round of this poo poo, how can anyone still take Bitcoin seriously after debacles like Mt.Gox?

people are greedy and stupid, basically

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That wish.com issue is because Facebook doesnt allow the data capture necessary to identify actual purchases made. It’s an extremely basic feature but it would upend Facebooks walled garden so it wont exist and theyll have to find other stupid solutions that wont work instead.

But at least they arent youtube!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Uhhh

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/938824813963104257

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Time travelling is probably the best way to make money with Bitcoin, it's true.

That and scamming.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Disrupting the space-time continuum

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I still don't get this new bitcoin surge. Bitcoin made sense as a concept when it was still cheap and usable for things like Silk Road purchases, so it had some utility. But from the posts in this thread I gather its almost impossible to cash-out in large figures, especially at figures of 20k+ (as 1btc would be soon it seems).

So are people just plowing money into it blindly expecting a way to cash out to materialize at some point in the future? What use is having $200k in a completely il-liquid asset, that is prone to a rapid crash at any time?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Once again, the tulip-heavy portfolio pays off for the savvy investor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blut posted:

So are people just plowing money into it blindly expecting a way to cash out to materialize at some point in the future? What use is having $200k in a completely il-liquid asset, that is prone to a rapid crash at any time?

it's a combination of rubes and marks saying "well, the newspaper is talking about this bits-coin, i should have some for my portfolio" as well as dogbreathed libertarians trying to prove the value of the market by throwing their money down a well, augmented with scammers and fraudsters all trying to manipulate and prop up the price for their own ends (drugs, money laundering, paper fortunes)

it's basically a communal ponzi scheme, the amazing thing about bitcoin is that it's a scam with nobody in charge. it's the collective scamming efforts of a hundred thousand morons all trying to get one over on each other

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

boner confessor posted:

it's a combination of rubes and marks saying "well, the newspaper is talking about this bits-coin, i should have some for my portfolio" as well as dogbreathed libertarians trying to prove the value of the market by throwing their money down a well, augmented with scammers and fraudsters all trying to manipulate and prop up the price for their own ends (drugs, money laundering, paper fortunes)

it's basically a communal ponzi scheme, the amazing thing about bitcoin is that it's a scam with nobody in charge. it's the collective scamming efforts of a hundred thousand morons all trying to get one over on each other

Libertarianism in Avatar form.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

boner confessor posted:

Interesting. Its going to be fascinating when it crashes and hundreds of millions of dollars are wiped out to see who came out ahead from the whole thing.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

fishmech posted:

There is a "token" called Tether which is traded at $1 US = 1 tether, because it's supposedly backed up by bank accounts containing $1 US for each token.

Two things: Tether has never passed an audit showing the owners have that much money. And as of the middle of November there were 560 million Tether issued, with about 50 million more being issued every week... does anyone really believe these people have over half a billion bucks sitting around to put into accounts for this?

But you can trade Tether for bitcoins at the same price as you'd trade USD, and someone's picking up all those Tether somehow, so the USD price follows.

And there is nothing stopping exchanges from front running or painting the tape or freezing sales and withdrawals whenever they want.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

jre posted:

Which exchanges are supposed to be "unsketchy"

divabot posted:

coinbase (the popular one loving everyone signs up to which has no customer service)

https://twitter.com/adrjeffries/status/938824429299257351

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dmitri-9 posted:

And there is nothing stopping exchanges from front running or painting the tape or freezing sales and withdrawals whenever they want.

Well, those things are all against a variety of laws and regulations, and the exchanges will be on the hook for violating them, but nobody has swooped in and said Subway Eat Fresh and Freeze! so the exchanges are currently getting away with it.

People who say “Bitcoin isn’t regulated!” are delusional. It’s always been regulated, because the various financial laws and regulations don’t need to specifically say “Bitcoin” or “crypto-currency” to cover the concepts.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

eschaton posted:

Well, those things are all against a variety of laws and regulations, and the exchanges will be on the hook for violating them, but nobody has swooped in and said Subway Eat Fresh and Freeze! so the exchanges are currently getting away with it.

People who say “Bitcoin isn’t regulated!” are delusional. It’s always been regulated, because the various financial laws and regulations don’t need to specifically say “Bitcoin” or “crypto-currency” to cover the concepts.

Oh you are adorable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's kind of true, but not true enough until it's actually enforced like that.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Disrupting the space-coin continuum

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sparkledogs are still a thing? They're basically dime-store knockoff furries that I'm not sure even deserve to be counted above edited Sonic sprites or bad MSpaints, which are basically the prison toilet wine of furries. I mean like, we're talking flea market furries here.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

outlier posted:

lol

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's enforced in the sense that when the crash actually happens some people will get sued, many people will be fined, and the Winklevoss twins will go to jail, but there's not a lot protecting the individual dumbasses that are speculating on it from the people preying on them until that happens. Effective financial regulation relies on the ability of banks to act as "chokepoints." There aren't the resources to go after every individual fraudster or money launderer, but that bad cash has to touch a bank at some point so the FTC just fines the gently caress out of a bank if they're responsible for those transactions and lets them sort out how to not be fined. But since blockchain is decentralized there's no way to stop anybody from using it to launch whatever ponzi scheme they want. Maybe one of the exchanges will be able to get into compliance, at which point it will stop being profitable because it doesn't have the economies of scale to make it work. I kinda doubt it though, given how much competence they've shown around things like basic information security and accounting practices so far.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

outlier posted:

And he does.

That is phenomenally impressive

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's enforced in the sense that when the crash actually happens some people will get sued, many people will be fined, and the Winklevoss twins will go to jail

surprisingly, if anyone won't go to jail it's them. i keep an ear out for shenanigans, and gemini is actually the exchange i've heard nothing about that the SEC would set on fire. they know what the rules are and their whole schtick with gemini is "we are regulation abiding, you should have confidence to put your serious money with us." i am actually surprised that they are so far literally the most honest people in bitcoin. good loving lord.

(i mean i could be wrong they could poo poo the bed tomorrow WHO KNOWS)

the rest of your comment is on the money though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Moatman posted:

That is phenomenally impressive

I dunno, here's someone gaming Yelp in 2015: https://splinternews.com/i-created-a-fake-business-and-bought-it-an-amazing-onli-1793850918

The article's up front about Yelp admitting "fake sit-down restaurant" is just not in their threat model and most culprits have been journalists. The "delivery" pizza places that exist just to take $3/order and pass it on to a legitimate chain are more interesting.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

JawnV6 posted:

I dunno, here's someone gaming Yelp in 2015: https://splinternews.com/i-created-a-fake-business-and-bought-it-an-amazing-onli-1793850918

The article's up front about Yelp admitting "fake sit-down restaurant" is just not in their threat model and most culprits have been journalists. The "delivery" pizza places that exist just to take $3/order and pass it on to a legitimate chain are more interesting.

Hitting the top is whatever, it's the back part of the article, actually faking the restaurant, that's impressive

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/938938539282190337
Bubbles are mathematically impossible :smug:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So are corrections

and all else

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This time it is different!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/cushbomb/status/938965114451087360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
My theory is that the initial spike was caused by an influx of smart Wall St. money when the BTC futures market was announced, and that this week’s bullshit is a combination of dumb, me-too Wall St. money and general mania from the public. But who knows.